White Death

White Death (NUMA Files #4)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  3,968 ratings  ·  100 reviews
Hailed as a hero for the new millennium, Austin is the leader of NUMA Special Assignments Team--and the threat before him now is definitely special. A confrontation between a radical environmentalist group and a Danish cruiser has forced Austin and colleague Joe Zavala to come to the rescue of a shipful of trapped men; but when the two of them investigate further, they dis...more
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published October 22nd 2009 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published July 23rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about White Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Death

Brian
Kristofer
This story was a little slower moving then I usually like it to be. It followed Kurt Austin in his pursuit against Oceanus and their mutant fish. Much more aggressive and massive than normal fish, they were causing havoc against small fisherman families. Kurt Austin and his usual partner Joe Zavala take on the case, but become really determined to stop Oceanus after they tried to murder them. Like always, the battle approaches Oceanus' front door as Kurt gets ready to stop them once and for all....more
Gerold Whittaker
A multinational company is secretly creating genetic freaks of nature - for their own financial gain obviously. Nobody really knows what is going on behind closed doors but when the local fishermen start reporting that the fish are disappearing the environmentalists try to stop them. In between these two opposing forces, enter our heroes Austin and Zavala resulting in all the ingredients needed for another action-packed novel.
Teo Hoppe
A ruthless corporation is about to take command of the seas. This is a mission for Kurt Austin and the NUMA team...

If I have a must read author, then I suppose it would have to be Clive Cussler. His plots are outlandish and ridiculous, his dialogue is...well, laughably pathetic and his heroes are annoyingly sanctimonious, but I'm still hooked on them all. They're worth their weight in gold just for the action and head-snapping pace.
And so it goes with WHITE DEATH. In this book Kurt and Joe are u...more
Debbie Duran
Clive Cussler books are great for escaping out of our ordinary lives. His characters are believeable & likeable & get to have extraordinary adventures in amazing places.
Jeff Herman
Not one of his best books but the story line kept it interesting and still very much worth the read.
Christine
I love clive cussler books, fast reads when I am bored.
Sayaka Moriyama
@Time of reading
12/28 70 min

@7 word summary
girl boyfriend captured heroin mother prove innocence

@Discussion question
Have you ever caught the inspections in an airport?

@My answer
No, i haven't. However, some of my friends have caught because of they had some sharp things. one of them have caught because a checking dog barked to him. of cause they were not guilty, but they said they took a lot of times to be released. i don't want to be like them.

@What I think about the book.
it was soo interesti...more
Adam Wilson
White Death impressed me quite a lot as far as New York Times best-selling thrillers go. I love that Cussler is one of those authors who still writes a full novel instead of an expanded, large printed, larger margined, 60,000 word novellas that Patterson and his readers think are full length novels. Cussler is churning them out at a rather suspicious rate but if the quality is still there and if they don’t start double-spacing his books to make them seem as long as they once were, I will continu...more
Jorgen Schäfer
In the beginning of Clive Cussler’s White Death, NUMA top agent Kurt Austin by chance is able to safe the crew of a danish military vessel that sunk in a tragic ship collision. But something smells fishy. After some investigation, Kurt Austin finds evidence that the collision was rigged to distract from a nearby plant. When Austin investigates closer, he finds himself the target of a powerful international corporation.

I’m not too happy with the NUMA Files series around Kurt Austin. Cussler’s mai...more
Myke
I'm trying to be fair as I have not read the preceding books in this series, but I'm willing to bet that they are all pretty similar. It's a pretty typical action/adventure book. All of the characters have PIERCING EYES and GRANITE CHINS and STEEL in their voices.

The novel opens with a man being unjustly pursued across the ocean by the SPANISH INQUISITION. In the next chapter a NAZI ZEPPELIN is chasing the north pole. I am not making this up.

On the off chance that you are having trouble sorting...more
Barbara ★
Kurt Austin is probably my favorite over-the-top action hero. He can (and does) do everything imaginable and some completely unimaginable stuff too. He's a great hero and he always gets the girl. His pal (and partner) Joe Zavala is another real good thinks-on-your-feet kinda guy. The adventures these two get into and out of are truly amazing.

This one involves a horn and sword from the 1500s which was stolen and passed along through a family of crazy Indians. The main crazy is Tunuk and he has se...more
Matt Mintz
Overall I found this book to be interesting because it was generally focused on fish and I have always found fish to be interesting. However, I found it to be a little boring at points because of the way Clive Cussler writes the book. He just writes in a way that drags out scenes to a point where it feels like it is never going to end. But other than that i found it interesting.
Yuki Kodama
I read this book 65 minutes this week.

*7 words summary
Sarah, prison, court, mother, old boyfriend, help, real criminal

*Discussion Question?
Q.If the court decides that we were bad, we have to die.
What do you think about capital punishment?

A.It is very difficult for me to answer this question. It depends on the situation.
In this story, at the airport, the police stopped Sarah and arrested because they found drugs
in Sarah's bag. However, it is not Sarah's one. Someone put the drug in her bag. Sh...more
Andy
One of the early Kurt Austin books. Typical of Cussler's work in that there is a big build up and a quick ending. White Death is a name given to genetically modified fish (Frakenfish) that are developed by a mad scientist intending on earning billions as his fish wipe out native stocks and make only his available. It seems like a bit of a stretch but one doesn't read these novels for complete believability. All the pieces are in place - the Trouts, a call to St. Julien, the beautiful damsel in d...more
Meredith
While on vacation I had read the three books I brought with me. With two days left I didn't think I could go without a book, so I borrowed this from my husband. As he told me "it's a guys book written by a guy". Oh well, I was desperate.

I actually really enjoyed this book. Having never read a Clive Cussler novel before it was easy to pick up on the character and of Kurt Austin and NUMA. I'll have to disagree with my husband of it being a "guys book". I will say the last few paragraphs of the no...more
David Hill
This is the first book of Cussler's that I've read and I'm afraid I wasn't impressed. The Prologue was an excellent scene set at sea in the 16th century but unfortunately we don't meet any of these folks again. The main story takes place in the present day and here the characters are at best stereotypes but more often caricatures. The plot quickly veers from the improbable to the unimaginable. There are some lovely descriptions of the Faeroe Islands, which makes me want to visit these remote out...more
Lee
This Kurt Austin open in Denmark with a runaway environmental vessel ramming a Danish warship. It is later revealed to be sabotage but why was the ship sabotaged? Was it really to keep the ship from protesting at a mysterious fish farm? As Austin and Numa investigate they find a deadly plot to control the world’s fish population using mysterious deadly frankenfish. Can they stop it before it is too late? Okay book but the Kurt Austin’s are probably my least favorite of Cussler spin offs the main...more
Misaki Kawakata
airport
mother
daugher
suit case
4 Tomorrow, I'm going to go airport to see off my boyfriend. Can you gess my mind? - Yes, you looks so sad. But it's good chance to spend time for your-selfe. You and your boyfriend are alwaus together. Two of them too much depend on each other.

5 That's so interesting story. I couldn't notice who was criminal who framed for Sarah. I suspected her new boyfriend, maybe everyone think so, but it's not true. Throught the st...more
Ken
Another good Cusler read. another fun adventure with Kurt Austin.
Sameer
One of the best novels I read.
Anna
So far I have never read a Cussler that would have left me unsatisfied.
No exception here.
Suzanne
This book was not as string as his other books that I have read. I liked it though.
Douglas Boren
Another action packed adventure from Clive Cussler. The combination of technological savvy, pretty women, crusty collegues, and rugged individualism entertains with almost every page. The evil villian is indeed evil, and the climax multi-layered. Recommended for any Cussler fan... he does not disappoint!
Cathy
Lots of action. Interesting characters. A good read!
Dave
Not bad. One of the better Austin series books.
Karunakaran N.
White Death by Clive Cussler... Another adventure of Kurt Autin, Bio modified fish can wipe out the marine life, that's the reality. A Story woven with thrills and encounters with the frankenfish that is well spun. The scientist Barker's plan to monopolize the marine world and two teams NUMA and SOS trying to stop the activities of Oceanus culminating at the blowup of the facility by SOS and decimating the brain behind the killer fish by Austin is a good read....
Britt Griffith
Sep 15, 2009 Britt Griffith rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of other Clive Cussler books
Recommended to Britt by: my dad
Shelves: action-adventure
This was another enjoyable Kurt Austin adventure. In this book he's after bad guys who are genetically altering fish into huge monsters that will destroy the ocean's "normal" fish supply, so they can control the fishing industry and gain substantial power over the world. In a way the concept is very far-fetched, but in another way, it is sadly possible that it could happen. Fast-paced, but predictable ending, this is a good book. I give it a B-.
Christian Orr
Not Cussler's best, but very enjoyable and worth reading nonetheless, with an underlying moral message and social commentary about the dangers of genetically-engineered food (in this case, biofish, as the head villian runs a bunch of large fish farms; the "White Death" title is a reference to these creepy "Frankenfish"). Kurt Austin and Joe Zavala are as smooth as ever, and the Faroe Islands made for an interesting choice of locale.
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton, #8)
  • Storming Heaven
  • SSN: A Strategy Guide to Submarine Warfare
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time...more
More about Clive Cussler...
Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11) Inca Gold (Dirk Pitt, #12) Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15) Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4) Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt, #16)