Start by marking “The Wooden Bowl: Simple Meditations for Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
The Wooden Bowl: Simple Meditations for Everyday Life

The Wooden Bowl: Simple Meditations for Everyday Life

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"In poetic simplicity, Clark Strand makes meditation as effortless as breathing, as intimate as a heartbeat, as joyous as a child." --Hugh Prather, author of Notes to Myself and Spiritual Parenting"I asked myself one question: Was there a way for people to slow down and experience themselves, their lives, and other people in the present moment without adopting a new religi ...more
Published May 24th 2000 by Hyperion (first published July 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Wooden Bowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wooden Bowl

After nearly two months, I finally finished this book; and while I didn't exactly enjoy reading the book, I do think I got some important lessons out of it. The premise of the book, I realized after reading, is deconstructing the ideas and rules and all the extra stuff we imagine goes along with meditation and turning it into a simple act of experiencing the present. I was expecting, however, to reveil some sort of miraculous secret to meditating - which in hind sight was a little unrealistic - ...more
Meditation. Just meditation. No religion, no mysticism, just meditation for its own sake. Not exactly an instruction manual, just simple, low key, beautifully written reflections on what meditation is and isn't. The most accessible writing on the subject I have come across.
Jan 31, 2013 Corinne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people like you
This is a refreshingly openminded book on meditation. It is an easy read and sits like your favorite warm grandma. Not for the pretentious.
One of the best, clearest books on meditation I know. I've read/own at least 50 books on the subject (I know, I know), and this is the one I come back to most often. Re-reading it is a meditative experience. Beautifully written and crystal clear, this is the book I'd most recommend to anyone with an interesting in starting a meditation practice.
Apr 29, 2008 Ericka is currently reading it
Picked this find up at a thrift store. How could I not love a book title by the name of The Wooden Bowl? But so far, in my read of it, Strand, for being a former buddhist monk, hmmm, he's not too enlightening;-).
The Wooden Bowl: Simple Meditations for Everyday Life by Clark Strand (2000)
Caren Lamblin
Caren Lamblin marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Josh marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Wendy marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Tracy Ferguson
Tracy Ferguson is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2015
Dez marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Emily King
Emily King marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Abigail marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Louischong marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Virginia L McCrary
Virginia L McCrary marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Lauren Cooper
Lauren Cooper marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
sarah gonzalez
sarah gonzalez is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
Melanie Kramme
Melanie Kramme marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Tracy marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014