Start by marking “Renascence and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Renascence and Other Poems

Renascence and Other Poems

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  671 ratings  ·  44 reviews thank you for your continued support and wish to present you this new edition. My breath came short, and scarce at all.
Published December 3rd 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about Renascence and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renascence and Other Poems

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Apr 19, 2015 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Kate Bolick in Spinster
Shelves: poetry, read2015
Millay is one of those poets I think oh sure, I've read, but then realized I really hadn't. This set of poems is some of her earliest work, and is stunning and incredible. Sometimes you have to give a poem a bit, look past the rhyming and look at the meaning. Other times it's not an effort at all. My favorites are the title poem and the six sonnets.

The most familiar poem in this volume is probably the one that starts:
"O world, I cannot hold thee close enough!"

Sound familiar? Good, now read the
Sometimes - at first - I was unsure about the very obvious rhyme scheme. But the power of the words overcame that. In the title poem especially: such an amazing vision of transcendence, and from a 20 year old(?!)
And she sounds so alive (even when she writes of death). As if this were about her:
never shall one room contain me quite
Who in so many rooms first saw the light
[Sonnet IV]

Sometimes there were a lot of very well-used nature subjects, still well done though. And just when I thought ther
First, let me state my personal conviction that you never finish a good poem. It stays with you forever, in your mind. In a quiet moment, a line will be remembered with a clarity that is almost painful in its beauty. More often than not, that memory will lead you back to rereading the poem in its entirety. There is always something fresh, something new, in it- some new understanding, some new and wondrous appreciation for a metaphor, image. A good poem is a joy, always.

That said, Edna St. Vincen
Any book of poetry that makes me actually tear up on the bus while reading it deserves five stars. I was startled to find out Millay was in her early 20s when she wrote most of the poems in this book--"Time does not bring relief, you all have lied" doesn't seem the work of a young woman, but that's the mark of a great poet, after all.

There are a hundred places where I fear
To go,—so with his memory they brim!
And entering with relief some quiet place
Where never fell his foot or shone his face
In this book of poetry, the descriptions of nature is exquisite and imagery is marvellous. In the title poem "Renascence" Millay is eloquent about the core of the universe consisting of God, death, living, suffering and also the beauties of the world.

"The heart can push the sea and land
Farther away on either hand
The soul can split the sky in two
And let the face of God shine through..."

Millay explores the beauty of nature, and speaks of love and loss at the same time. The poems are about a perfe
Jinni Pike
O God, I cried, give me new birth
And put me back upon the earth!
Upset each cloud's gigantic gourd
And let the heavy rain, down-poured
In one big torrent, set me free,
Washing my grave away from me!

"Renascence" by Edna St Vincent Millay

This collection of some of Millay's early poetry is hauntingly beautiful. With such dark themes as death and loss it's hard to believe she wrote "Renascence" at nineteen. Millay's sardonic wit creeps in at the best moments in her poems and give a beautiful lightness t
The prose and romanticism are absolutely lovely. There are poignant lines that gave me pause as I considered their imagery: "Weeds were tall on all the paths that led that way." I was surprised, but also a little unsurprised, to learn that much of what was included in this collection was written when she was only nineteen years old. The rhyme schemes were sometimes a little too clean, and the drama over a lost love a little too stinging - but the ability to see beauty and meaning in the simplest ...more
I think I should have loved you presently,
And given in earnest words I flung in jest;
And lifted honest eyes for you to see,
And caught your hand against my cheek and breast;
And all my pretty follies flung aside
That won you to me, and beneath your gaze,
Naked of reticence and shorn of pride,
Spread like a chart my little wicked ways.
I, that had been to you, had you remained,
But one more waking from a recurrent dream,
Cherish no less the certain stakes I gained,
And walk your memory's halls, austere, s
I love Millay, so I bought a bunch of these Dover Thrift Editions because they were like $2 each, and this one is pretty okay but nothing special. It does have Witch-Wife and Interim, which I like, but the sonnets at the end are probably the best parts. It's what she would eventually become known for, and I guess for good reason. Her long-form poems don't hold up as well, I don't think.
I was in a Millary Mood yesterday and thus pulled this slim volume out and read it cover-to-cover. The only problem is that it's a copy I marked up when I was about 21, and the notes I took are fairly cringe-worthy. Oh, youthful Ruth. You have so much to learn.
Jul 31, 2008 April rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who feel deeply
Shelves: poetry
Edna St. Vincent Millay is one of my all-time favorite poets. I really love and feel deep connection with her, and have for several years. I have "The Selected Poetry of..." back home in a box somewhere. This book was good, although it left out plenty of great poems that are in that other book. It did, however, include "Renascence," "Interim," "Sorrow" and several others that are just mesmerizing. I can't resist the temptation to put some of my favorite lines here...

Millay on depression:

Melissa Riker
Sep 19, 2007 Melissa Riker rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any romantics ever
Shelves: loveitalways
Just keep reading through Bluebeard into House on a Hill and end happily at
The Dream
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Love, if I weep it will not matter,
And if you laugh I shall not care;
Foolish am I to think about it,
But it is good to feel you there.

Love, in my sleep I dreamed of waking,—
White and awful the moonlight reached
Over the floor, and somewhere, somewhere,
There was a shutter loose,—it screeched!

Swung in the wind,—and no wind blowing!—
I was afraid, and turned to you,
Put out my hand to you fo
This is ESVM's first collection, and it's incredible how wonderful they are so early on her career. The sonnets aren't nearly as good as I know some of her later ones are, but there are only six of them, and the "lyrics" more than make up for their deficiencies (especially "Interim").
Time does not bring relief; you all have lied
Who told me time would ease me of my pain!
I miss him in the weeping of the rain;
I want him at the shrinking of the tide;
The old snows melt from every mountain-side,
And last year's leaves are smoke in every lane;
But last year's bitter loving must remain
Heaped on my heart, and my old thoughts abide!

There are a hundred places where I fear
To go,--so with his memory they brim!
And entering with relief some quiet place
Where never fell his foot or shon
Meg gave me this as a DailyLit gift a couple weeks ago when I needed it, and she recommended "take one before bedtime" and I did. Well I tried. Practice is hard.

Poetry, I don't know you very well, but it's pretty awesome when you work out. This collection starts with a couple of longer pieces, which I liked a lot, particularly "Interim".

Here 'twas as if a weed-choked gate
Had opened at my touch, and I had stepped
Into some long-forgot, enchanted, strange,
Sweet garden of a thousand years ago
And sud
Love, love, LOVE Edna St. Vincent Millay! Her poetry is so beautiful and deep, I can't take it. She has so much power in her simplicity and she takes good and bad - real - subjects as they are, which I love in poetry. So good! ...more
Through her honesty and imagery, the reader is able to feel/see as Millay does. "Requiem" is amazing.
Nik Kane
The title poem is one of the most perfect English-language poems ever written.
“You left until to-morrow?—O my love,
The things that withered,—and you came not back!”
Brittany Sanford
Quick Review: I came across the poem 'Renascence' in the book "The Sea of Tranquility".

I really enjoyed reading this short book of poetry, which took me a very long time to read.

It took me many tries to finish reading the poem 'Suicide'. I left it for last becuase I originally did not like it and then I actually ended up liking it very much.

The tone of the poetry is more moloncholy than anything.
Deep, interesting, and thought provoking.
How did I not read this earlier in my life?! She captures pain, grief, and sorrow without being overly melodramatic and also gives glimpses of the light and hope as the pain of loss integrates into a person's being. She does not pretend that the pain goes away - or even that it subsides - just that it becomes part of one and is acceptable. Awesome, awesome poetry! Totally going to recommend this to the teens at our library. :D
Jeff Hobbs

The Dream
The Witch-Wife
When the Year Grows Old
Sonnets I-IV
Edna St. Vincent Millay has a truly wonderful way with words!

My favourites include Renascence, Sorrow, Ashes of Life, The Dream and of course the poem which introduced me to her, Afternoon on a Hill!

A wonderful collection of poetry!
I borrowed this beautiful old edition from my father. Inside there was a newspaper clipping with a few more poems, the newspaper had stained the pages of the book dark brown where it was pressed.

Her descriptions of depression are very astute.
The lyric poems here--aside perhaps from the title poem--don't do much for me, but it was her sonnets that drew me to Millay, and half of the six included in this (her first collection) really blow my skirt up.
This was my first real experience with Millay. I absolutely loved her poetry. She writes very clear verses that are vivid and beautiful. I am definitely a fan now and will have to get more of her work.
It is refreshing and nostalgic at the same time to read St. Vincent Millay's poetry--so fired full of emotion that the poems are explosions in the brain. This book makes me want to read more poetry.
Millay is one of the best poets I've ever read. I'm not sure that this particular volume is my favorite among her works, but her command of language and style is exceptional.
Favorite poems:
* Afternoon On A Hill
* The Shroud
* Witch-Wife
* When The Year Grows Old
* "Mindful of you the sodden earth in spring"
* Bluebeard
Drew Hoffman
Not everything here has dated well but when Edna St. Vincent Millay is on point ("The Shroud", "Witch-Wife", "Kin To Sorrow"), she transcends time itself.
  • Love Songs
  • Swarm
  • Tennyson: Selected Poetry
  • White Buildings: Poems
  • The Love Songs of Sappho
  • The Poetry and Short Stories of Dorothy Parker (Modern Library)
  • Evidence: Poems
  • The Raven and Other Favorite Poems
  • The Complete Poems
  • A Shropshire Lad
  • Geography III
Edna St. Vincent Millay was an American lyrical poet and playwright. She received the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1923, the third woman to win the award for poetry, and was also known for her feminist activism and her many love affairs. She used the pseudonym Nancy Boyd for her prose work.

This famous portrait of Vincent (as she was called by friends) was taken by Carl Van Vechten in 1933.
More about Edna St. Vincent Millay...

“The world stands out on either side
No wider than the heart is wide;
Above the world is stretched the sky,
No higher than the soul is high.
The heart can push the sea and land
Farther away on either hand;
The soul can split the sky in two,
And let the face of God shine through.
But East and West will pinch the heart
That can not keep them pushed apart;
And he whose soul is flat—the sky
Will cave in on him by and by.”
“The first rose on my rose-tree
Budded, bloomed, and shattered,
During sad days when to me
Nothing mattered.

Grief of grief has drained me clean;
Still it seems a pity
No one saw,—it must have been
Very pretty.”