Start by marking “In the Year 2889” as Want to Read:
In the Year 2889

Read Book* *Different edition

In the Year 2889

3.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,726 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
Article purportedly by Jules Verne, but probably by his son. According to the editor's note at the beginning: "In the Year 2889_ was first published in the _Forum_, February, 1889; p. 262. It was published in France the next year. Although published under the name of Jules Verne, it is now believed to be chiefly if not entirely the work of Jules' son, Michel Verne. In any ...more
nookbook (ebook), 0 pages
Published by MobileReference (first published February 1889)

To ask other readers questions about In the Year 2889, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Year 2889

Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
★★★★★★★☆☆☆[7/10]

Every one is familiar with Fritz Napoleon Smith's system—a system made possible by the enormous development of telephony during the last hundred years. Instead of being printed, the Earth Chronicle is every morning spoken to subscribers, who, in interesting conversations with reporters, statesmen, and scientists, learn the news of the day. Furthermore, each subscriber owns a phonograph, and to this instrument he leaves the task of gathering the news whenever he happens not to be
Duane
The most interesting aspect of this story wasn't the scientific or technological predictions for 2889, but the socio/political state of the world that Verne imagines. Frankly, I think he would be shocked by the technological achievements made in the 125 years since the book was written. This didn't feel like a Jules Verne story to me, so I think almost certainly his son Michael wrote this.
Alexxy
Jan 13, 2016 Alexxy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Little though they seem to think of it, the people of this twenty-ninth century live continually in fairyland.

I first heard about Jules Verne and his amazing imagination when I was eight years old. Since then, I've always wanted to read his works and see for myself, the things he had imagined of the future. Although it seems like this book had been written by Jules Verne's son, Michel, it still lived up to my expectations.

'In the Year 2889', quoting from the book, is 'the history of one day
Диана
I read this story today. It must be the first sci-fi story that I found particularly unimpressive. To be certain, the story isn't set out to be anything like a fully fledged work of fiction, or an ambitious or too elaborate picture of the world in 2889 - it is just a hasty sketch, a quick snapshot of a particular view of the future that the author entertained, as if during a short break from doing something else. Having said this it must be clear why I haven't given the story a lower rating - it ...more
Tatuu
Oct 02, 2013 Tatuu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read where through Jules Verne( or Michel Verne's) imagination we see how the 29th century will look like. This whole post is a spoiler.

In the year 2889, people "consume food that is compounded and prepared according to scientific principles, and they breathe an atmosphere freed from the micro-organisms that formerly used to swarm in it; hence they live longer than their forefathers and know nothing of the innumerable diseases of olden times.". Rumours has it that nutriti
Mike
Jun 07, 2014 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone

The review from afar – No. 5

Revised forward to these overseas reviews:

Since I am cycling back-and-forth from the US to Asia like a piece of string in search of a yo-yo, I have forgone the usual joy of slugging 8-12 paperbacks along with me and taken a previously unused Kindle 3G along instead. It is to the fine folks at Project Gutenberg that I tip my hat: virtually every title I have or will be reading comes from their worthwhile endeavors (or endeavours, when in a former British colony.)

In the
F.R.
Jan 31, 2015 F.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course we all enjoyed those articles about ‘Back to the Future part 2’ because it’s fun to see how inaccurate its thirty years into the future predictions were. But what if an artist was more ambitious in his predictions? What if a writer predicted a thousand years into the future, and we were able to somehow look at those predictions – say one hundred and twenty five years later – to try and work out how accurate they’re likely to be.

Step forward, Mr Jules Verne, or perhaps it’s his son, Mic
Vikram Bishla
Oct 03, 2016 Vikram Bishla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite short and interesting read. Here authoher imagines what the life gonna be in 29th century. Mr smith is the editor of earth chronicles whose total wealth has reached to an unimaginable figure $10,000,000,000.

Technology has advancer so much that we are capable of making flesh and blood. Now we need not to go to bath rather it comes to us whenever we want to clean and freshen up.
Streets are 300 feets wide and houses of 1000 feet height. Temperature remains same throughout the year.

As per my
Raven Cain
Oct 30, 2014 Raven Cain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this old bit of sci-fi. I think the most remarkable thing about it is that for all of his imagination and creativity, Mr. Verne could not picture a wireless world. Nonetheless, it's a classic. A review would be pointless. I enjoyed it very much and highly recommend it.
Ratnesh Neema
Don't expect anything, and the story may turn out just fine. The imagination really feels lacking though, as the progress and inventions described should well be available by 2089, rather that 2889.

That's how hard it is, to predict the future, huh.
Filip
Dec 03, 2012 Filip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won't get into the controversy about who wrote this essay/short story. Suffice to say, we'll never know. What we do know is that, like any other work by Verne (or Verne family in this case), this is work of a visionary.

There is no plot. There is no get-to-know period for the few featured characters. For all we know, Mr. Smith could be either a good guy or a mean son of a bitch mogul, but it doesn't matter.

The goodies? Uncannily exact predictions about the future.

Skyscrapers/overpopulation:
How
Jessica
I'm not usually one for sci-fi books, but since this is such a short story and I had some time on my hands... Simply said: why the hell not?

First of all I should say that I think the world mister Verne imagined we will live in almost 900 years from now has some really believable elements that I think could just be realized.

On the other hand there are some things that I find a bit weird, like the telephone-newspaper? I mean, sure, there weren't any tablets yet in 1889, but wouldn't a little devic
Amy
The future was closer than Verne thought. 877 years ahead of schedule, we already have Skype, iPods, online newspapers, a life expectancy that is beyond 37 (or even the projected 52), and scientifically created food. However, we do not have a self-renewing energy source and have not found alien life forms within our solar system. Read this novella to experience a day in the life of a man from 2889.
Rao Javed
Mar 05, 2017 Rao Javed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
It was more or less good but merely concepts of a future. No real motive or idea behind the story. That's way I could not read it with much interest.
Nickolas
Dec 06, 2011 Nickolas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book, or short story rather, has a little bit of literary controversy surrounding it because it has been released as Jules Verne however most believe as do I that his son Michael wrote at least half of it. Partially because of this the story isn’t the most loved of his works, which is sort of a shame, not because it’s a great and gripping story, it’s not, but if you look at the fact that it was written, by father or son, in the late 1800’s, we can see impressive imaginative insight on the w ...more
Vanu
Jul 30, 2014 Vanu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This WAS SO CUTE TO READ. Awww look at these people (almost accurately, though) predict what the future must look like!
I found it particularly fascinating that, even in their wildest of dreams, no one could even imagine what the internet is today, even if they did get quite close. Also, advertisements on clouds? Melting the poles to make more room for human habitation? Wow, the imagination required for this thing. We are still far away from any adverts being projected on clouds (billboards are t
Wayne
Mar 16, 2011 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting, and quick, read. We all know Jules Verne had a knack for coming up with futuristic concepts and items that ultimately became close to reality (atomic submarines and manned expeditions to the moon, to name a couple). In this novel (or novella, maybe?), he describes a day in the life of a newspaper editor in 2889. Some pretty cool concepts were put across, such as subscribing to news feeds, which are delivered directly to the recipient via telephonic devices and telephote, ...more
Blain
Feb 05, 2011 Blain rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A quick short story that follows around for a day the life of a business tycoon. As most SF, it's interesting to see the culture of the time it was written reflected, most obviously the high regard and infallible nature of the captains of industry. For example, when a cloudless day leaves the advertising department with nothing to project images onto the subject of the story declares seriously that the research department should find a way to make more cloudy days, and this is seen as a reasonab ...more
Carolyn Injoy
In the Year 2889 by Jules Vern is an interesting example of forecasting a future possibility. It was first published in February 1889. Many of his described devices, while called by different names, have come about at the present time. For the imagination involved I gave it four stars.

"Hence is sprung a pleaid of inventor, its brightest star being our great Joseph Jackson." A pleiad is any group of eminent or brilliant persons or things, especially when seven in number.

I would like to thank Kyp
Laura LVD
Interesante piecita de Jules Verne (o su hijo Michel, según algunos eruditos), pero no es ni por lejos lo mejor que hay para leer de este autor. Después de no leer nada suyo por años temía decepcionarme al compararlo con mi recuerdo de la infancia ya que fue mi primer autor favorito.
Es similar a otras especulaciones sobre el futuro que he leído de este escritor , y si bien muchas de ellas quedaron obsoletas ya, no me deja de sorprender que en pleno siglo XIX haya podido imaginar la criogenia, e
Roy Khadra
Sep 05, 2015 Roy Khadra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some writers are underestimated just for the fact that their books are destined to "Children", or just because they write short novels, but I think you have to think twice about your opinion while reading "Jules Verne". Some readers would consider it just a short Sci-Fi story, just a description of the future technology, but I, personally, can't imagine myself in the era of "Verne" (nearly 1889) and having this perspective about the telecommunication (Internet, cell, etc ..) even this political ...more
John Cress
Jan 07, 2012 John Cress rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knarik Avetisyan
Jules Verne always makes me smile.
Jagatheesan Jack
Mark
Nov 26, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2014
A good short read about the far future. Love the idea of Corporations making ads visible on the bottom of clouds. I could see that happening in my lifetime.
OzOz
Jun 22, 2015 OzOz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing for a nineteenth century novel
Melissa
I wonder how shocked Mr. Verne would be to find out that some of these inventions are things we use daily- no need to wait until 2889!
Lubna
Apr 10, 2016 Lubna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
873 years later . . . women are still fashionably late
Jessica Lam
It's always fun to see what folks of the past thought of the future and how much of it we've turned into reality (podcasts, FaceTime, tiny homes - to mention a few) - about 800 years ahead of schedule!

The short story is a snapshot of a day-in-the-life of media mogul, Fritz Napoleon Smith. It's by no means a hard sci-fi, so do temper expectations. My favorite part of all this, along with the fun of recognizing modern technology, is the persistence of sexism, colonialism, and racism. Apparently,
Happy Hedgehog
Jan 31, 2017 Happy Hedgehog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun little book to read. It was very interesting to see what predictions have and haven't come to pass. Very short, so anyone who wishes should have no trouble in finishing this off in a day or so.
  • Nick and the Glimmung
  • Before Adam
  • The Vicar of Tours
  • Beasts of New York
  • Empédocles
  • Devil's Eye (Mirus, #1.2)
  • Across the Galaxy
  • Atlanta Nights
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

“Your story is not a picture of life; it lacks the elements of truth. And why? Simply because you run straight on to the end; because you do not analyze. Your heroes do this thing or that from this or that motive, which you assign without ever a thought of dissecting their mental and moral natures. Our feelings, you must remember, are far more complex than all that. In real life every act is the
resultant of a hundred thoughts that come and go, and these
you must study, each by itself, if you would create a living
character. 'But,' you will say, 'in order to note these fleeting
thoughts one must know them, must be able to follow them in their capricious meanderings.You have simply to make use of hypnotism, electrical or human, which gives one a two-fold being, setting free the witness-personality so that it may see, understand, and remember the reasons which determine the personality that acts.”
5 likes