Start by marking “Dead By Morning (Griffin Powell, #12)” as Want to Read:
Dead By Morning (Griffin Powell, #12)

Dead By Morning (Dead by Trilogy #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  992 ratings  ·  73 reviews
' THE DARKEST SINS
He begins his work just before dawn, wielding a knife with the precision of a surgeon. Cunning and meticulous, he’s always in control. Mercy is not an option…

WILL ALWAYS
Maleah Purdue is touch, outspoken, and completely dedicated to her work at the Powell Security Agency. But her fearless exterior shatters when a madman begins killing her colleagues
Mass Market Paperback, 472 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead By Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead By Morning

Colleen
The best part of this book was the last few pages of the last chapter and the entire epilogue. That part of the book was a solid 5 stars. The rest I give 3.5 stars. I don't mean to sound selfish & unsympathetic since Ms. Barton unexpectedly passed away, but I REALLY REALLY hope Dead by Nightfall still gets released. After the cliffhanger in this one, I'm salivating to read the that last book.

Her Dear Reader at the end of the book was bittersweet - she had so many plans for future books for o
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/05/rev...

Favorite Quote: She walked out of the study, her head held high, her shoulders straight, and her heart breaking into a million pieces.”

This was a hard book for me to review. I have always been a huge fan of Beverly Barton. I was deeply saddened to hear she had passed away. The Griffin Powell series has been a whirlwind of suspense, intrigue, and romance starting with the first one-After Dark. Ms. Powell has never made it easy for her l
Bibliolatry Me
"In the continuing saga of the Powell Agency, Dead by Morning does not fail to keep you on the edge of your seat.
On a sad note, Miss Barton passed away unexpectedly this year. Her knack for getting inside the head of her characters and making them come alive just add to her conversational style of writing. She will be missed by her fans all over the world. Her third book in the Powell Agency trilogy, Dead by Nightfall, will be released in December 2011."

Read more of Dori's review on NRR's websi
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
I love this series of Beverly's. I was anxiously awaiting this one not only because it was Maleah and Derek's story but also because I knew the book after this would be Grif and Nic's 2nd book that finally wrapped up the whole Amara/Malcolm York arc. I was deeply saddened to hear that Beverly had passed and that was on my mind as I read this book. She was a great writer and could get inside a killers head and make the reader feel the evil that radiated off of them. I will miss her writing. I hav ...more
jenjn79
Yeah...hard to decide what to say about this book...

Series Note:
Second book in the "Dead By" trilogy and 12th book involving the character of Griffin Powell. These books are romantic suspense usually involving a serial killer and Powell's security/investigative agency. There's a whole lot of back story to these books and there are probably others you should read first.

Summary:
There is a killer who is hunting down killing agents of the Powell Agency and members of their families. Griffin Powell i
Hobby

Editor : Yudi Iswanto
Cover by chombro51@yahoo.co.id | © photographer : Itzhaki Zhangchaoran
Cetakan I : Maret 2012 ; 500 hlm
Rate : 3.5 of 5

Maleah Perdue kembali bertugas setelah menghabiskan akhir cutinya setelah menghadiri pernikahan kakaknya Jack Perdue, yang disusul dengan t
Novee
Yang menarik dr buku ini tetep hubungan Griff & Nic dan bagian masa lalu trio Griff-Yvette-Sanders.
Bagian Maleah-Derek malah byk yg ku skip =))
Alex is The Romance Fox
I was unsure about this book. It took me ages to finally get to the last few pages.

Dead by Morning is the second book of the Griffin Powell Trilogy series and I have not read the first book so perhaps that’s the reason felt “bombarded” by all the characters that appear in the story. Also there are quite a few POV in the story which had me in a bit of a “whirlwind”

Maleah Purdue, an agent working for the Powell Security Agency is teamed up with ex FBI profiler, Derek Lawrence (a consultant with t
Tamara
Very unsure what to rate this book, I guess I'll give it 3 1/2 stars. There were a lot of things I really liked about the story, it was definitely suspenseful and exciting, the character were engaging. What I didn't like was: the writers style, she jumped from character to character, first you are in the Heroines point of view, than the killers, than a victims, than the mastermind, than one of the supporting characters, I got whiplash trying to follow! 2- she made you like a character, feel for ...more
Janie
The author did a much better job of building the tension and suspense earlier in this book than the first in the series which dragged in parts in my opinion. I still liked the first book overall even with its faults and the narrator took a bit of time to get used to but her voice finally grew on me and I came to like it in the end. This second book though moves more quickly and gets more involved in answering the lingering questions from the first. Though there are more questions left to ponder ...more
Wendy Soliman
Sad to say that this book was a disappointment. I couldn't gel with the heroine. She was too feminist for my taste, which made the hero seem like a wimp by comparison. Another problem was the over-writing, the filling, if you like. For instance, one paragraph was devoted to the hero opening an hotel door. Something like he slid the card key into the slot, waited for the light to turn green, turned the handle to open the door, flipped on the lights.... Yawn, ok we get it. He opened the door! We d ...more
Sandra Knapp
Rather good, but I wish I had read this one earlier, since I read another book that must have been in this series, but I never bothered to check if it was a series, but in reading this tale, I learned this one was written well before.

Still, the Author is a very good story teller. Her characters are well rounded, and the pace is, for the most part, quick. I would recommend it, but I advise you to read these books in the proper order. Otherwise, it causes some confusion at first, and then some of
Sari
Ga puas ma endingnya, bikin makin penasaran gimana akhir kisah dari pasangan Nic & Griff :(

Secara keseluruhan puas baca buku ini, walo agak puyeng krn byk sekali tokoh yg diceritain, sampe bgg ngapalinnya, bahkan saking byknya tokoh yg terlibat, 2 tokoh utama pun memiliki porsi yg termasuk sedikit jika dibandingkan dibuku" suspense lainnya. Tapi walo gimanapun, namanya suspense karangan Beverly Barton almarhumah, tetep jarang yang mengecewakan, seperti buku yang satu ini. Sayang sebelum Oma
little dalilah
ok I like the story , the way the slayer killed their sacrifice. so calm dan carefully and little triangle from their body iuw -.- but its ok. I don't really care about derek or maleah but my best choice is Jarome!! ask me why?
first, he's psycopat
secondly, I like the way how calm he is while in interview with maleah and mocked maleah with his game or anything hah
third, he's really awesome for used body leaguage !! don't care even you panic, shocked, or scared he's still look same with a perfe
Diana
Beverly was such a wonderful writer, and this book has lots of twists and turns, but it was really hard to like Maleah through most of the book and kept me wondering why Derek would care.
Joyce McKune
Good combination of suspense & romance. A couple of Powell's employees get thrown together to investigate who& why agents and their family members are being targeted by the copycat killer.
Marianne Stehr
I need to clarify the 3 star rating for this one, I have not read the 11 books prior in this series and I think that may have been essential. There are alot of references that I think the reader already knows if he/she has been following the series. This book was lengthy, it had a long start up and it was hard for me to get "invovled" with the characters. I found myself not too fond of the main investigative team and the "original" bad guy reminded me of Hannibal Lector, just creepy! It has some ...more
Esther Fanny
Buku ini agak kompleks namun tidak pernah menghilangkan ciri khas Beverly Barton sedikit pun. plot dan penokohannya menarik. cara peniru mengeksekusi pembunuhan juga ikonik, memorable. and kisah cinta antara Derek n Maleah,,, sebenarnya sangat menarik... namun aq mengharapkan lebih dari itu. maksudqu, dengan segala ketegaran maleah, n tahun2 yang terlewati dlm agency... n segala prasangka negative maleah... koq secepat n semudah itu deklarasi hubungan mereka ?

still... i love you so much, Beverl
Mahareni Maldini
Huaaaaaaaaa...endingnya bikin galaaaaaaaauuuu...bisa gak tidur ntar malem mikirin Nic+Griff!!!

Gregetaaaaaaan sama Griff!!! Ikutan benci aku sama Yvette!!! Apa yg dirasa Nic, aku ikut merasakaaaaaan!!! Bener2 puas sama scene terakhir d buku ini. Biar Griff kelabakan kalo Nic gak ada!!!

Segitu dulu luapan emosinya.

Btw, lagi2 dinamika hubungan Nic+Griff yg menarik perhatian dari buku ini. Rasanya malah gak sabar kalo ceritanya berfokus k Derek+Maleah.

Sepertinya Luke+Meredith bakal jadi pasangan. Say
Colleen
Dead by morning was definetly not one of my favorite Beverly Barton books, this was an audio book, part was the person reading the audio book, if you cant do accents don't, but there was a lot of jumping around with the characters and overly wordy with lots of commercial plugs which i do not enjoy or feel necessary.
I am looking forward to the third in the Dead by trilogy within the Griffin Powell series as the story line is good , and i want to know how it all plays out.
Sharry Bates
Rosalind
Another excellent read from Beverly Barton. 2nd in the Dead by series. I have recently learned of Beverly Bartons untimely passing away and was so saddened to hear of such a great talent loss. I believe this was one of her last books, not sure if the 3rd in the series will still be released in Dec 2011 as was planned. Im going to greatly miss her works, and look forward to finding some of her earlier works that I have yet to read.
Lalalaura
I put the book down when I read the a line said to the main characters dead ex boyfriend, " I am sorry I did not love you enough to marry you" Oy Vey!!!!
Devia
I mostly agreed with everyone comments. This books has too much explanation on what the hero or heroin do. She described opening the door too long.
And the story wasn't focus on Derek and Meleah.

But I like the last chapter and I also like the part about Luke Sentell and Meredith. I don't know if they are going to get their own story.

Can't wait for the last: Dead By Nightfall though.
G
I am not a big fan of romance books, but I do enjoy suspense novels. This is my first Beverly Barton book. I found the story too slow in the beginning,but the action does pick up a lot later on. The ending was great. I plan to read the first book in this trilogy series (you miss a lot when you start with the second book) and also Dead by Nightfall when it comes out in December.
Sharon
I love this book! The last few pages and the epilogue was so full of suspense I had to force myself to slow down and not just rush straight to the end of the page. The interviews between Maleah and Jerome Browning were well written and the scenes between Luke and Meredith hinted on a possible romance I would love to read about. One of my favourites since 'The Murder Game'
Yulia Anggraini
Salah satu bagian dr crita/novel yg aq sukai yaitu epilogx...Yg slalu bsa m'bwt aq senyum n nyengir liat kbahagiaan para tokohx...
Tp,d dead by morning iniiiii... ><
ebat lah tante BB ngcut critax...Epilog d crita in mgkn bsa jd prolog bwt dead by nightfall...Kl g mw matì penasaran n galau tingkat tinggi,amat sangat dsarankn m'bacax saat nightfall udah d tangan...

Kay
The 2nd in a trilogy by Barton. Lucky for me the 3rd one comes out next month so I'll have no trouble remembering the cliff hanger.

Barton's books have the same cast of characters with different ones as the main character in each book. It's comforting to recognize them- like picking up an Alex Cross book. Her plots are fast moving and entertaining.
♥ Nell ♥
Love Derek & Maleah!!! I loved the plot, but was slightly disappointed to have a cliffhanger rather than a climax ending.
My favourite characters in this series are Griff & Nic. (view spoiler)
Luisa
I love Ms Barton books but this is not my favorite. The suspense part was good but the romance didn't titillate at all. You can observe how
Derek and Maleah overcome their initial distrust and become friends, but you don't feel the zing. The psychological part of Maleah's interviews with the prisoner were very good.
  • Senseless (Senseless, #1)
  • Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4)
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me (Lucy Kincaid #2)
  • Silent Scream (Romantic Suspense, #11)
  • Shiver of Fear (The Guardian Angelinos, #2)
  • Wrong Place, Wrong Time
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • Sweet Revenge (Last Chance Rescue, #8)
  • Riptide (Cutter Cay, #2)
Beverly Marie Inman was born on 23 December 1946 in Tuscumbia, Alabama, USA. Daughter of Doris Marie and Walter D. Inman Jr. A born romantic, she fell in love with The Beauty and the Beast epic at an early age, when her grandfather bought her an illustrated copy of the famous fairy tale. Even before she learned to read and write, her vivid imagination created magical words and fabulous characters ...more
More about Beverly Barton...

Dead by Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dead By Midnight (Griffin Powell #11)
  • Dead By Nightfall (Griffin Powell, #13)
The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7) The Murder Game (Griffin Powell, #8) Dead By Midnight (Griffin Powell #11) Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6) Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)