Legacy

Legacy

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  36 reviews
"Tantalizing...Ms. Baker kept me intrigued and enthralled...a thought-provoking novel not to be missed."
"-Rendezvous"

The last of the Murrays...

Christina Murray is elated to inherit her family's ancestral home in Scotland. But upon her arrival she is confronted by her breathtakingly handsome new neighbor, Ian Douglas...and an ancient family curse that comes with the castle...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published December 31st 1984)

KatLynne
Legacy is an emotional and at times riveting read centered around four women, the men they love and the devastating effects of an ancient curse on their bloodline. The book has four parallel stories, each spanning different eras of history, and gives a poignant, heart-rending tale for each protagonist.

The book opens with a Prologue, the year is 1298 and the setting is lovely Scotland. From there, the reader is taken to late twentieth century (1993) where we meet Christina Murray. She’s just arr...more
Misfit
“I curse you, Mairi of Shiels and Traquair and all the daughters of your line. For your treachery they will never rest. Cursed to pay for your deed, their sleep will be haunted by the dead until they die of foul and tragic means. Only when Scotland’s Stone of Destiny is found, will the curse be lifted.”

Recently divorced Christine Murray is called to Traquair House in Scotland, where the bed-ridden owner drops dead at the site of her. The will is read and Christine is surprised to find she's name...more
~Leslie~
It's a wonderful thing to discover a new author (at least new to me) and wonder why I've never read her before, and then just feel so happy that I now have! Legacy is a very mixed genre story of Christine Murray, who discovers she has inherited a manor house in Scotland. The story follows her arrival at the house, meeting her neighbor Ian Maxwell and her immersion in the secrets and history of the house and the curse that was placed on her family. There are wonderful gothic overtones to the stor...more
Anne
When i started this book, I had no idea that is would be the second 5 star book I have read in the month of Sept. when Christina is called to Scotland by a dying woman, she has no idea that she is to inherit Traquair House, a rambling 800 year old home outside of Edinburgh.
suddenly, she starts having dreams about several previous inhabitants of this house and also meets a man to whom she is very attracted, but seems to have some secrets too. They she realizes someone is trying to harm her, and r...more
Patty
I will start by saying I don't think this cover did this book any good. If I had been book shopping I would have walked right by without picking it up and that would have been a shame. I would have missed out on a very enjoyable book.
I love time travel books and while this is technically not time travel it does involve people from the present tied to actions from the past and the need to correct wrongs to live happily ever after.
Fantastical fun all around.
The story is told in back and forth fas...more
Christy B
A decent time travel book about an American named Christina Murray who inherits her family's ancestral home in Scotland.

Christina feels connected to three different female ancestors from three different time periods: 13th century; 16th century; and 18th century. Besides a bloodline, what connects all these women is an ancient family curse, and Christina fears she may be next if she doesn't crack a centuries' old family mystery.

Christina was able to see the events happening in her ancestors' live...more
Julie
Gaby
Legacy combines historical romance with time travel and mystery. I was quickly drawn into the stories of the four women of different eras and their ill fated romances. The lead character Christina Murray is easy to like and sympathize with and her uncanny similarities with the three ancestors gives the Murray/Douglas mystery come to a head.

If you enjoy historical romances and unusual time travel novels, I recommend checking out Legacy by Jeanette Baker.

ISBN-10: 9781402255830 - Paperback $9.99
Pub...more
Carolyn
This was a very interesting book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Slipping in and out of the different women's lives and learning their fate was heart wrenching. I had no problem at all following their different stories which is due to the excellent writing here. It was definitely a page turner and held me spellbound.
Elaine Mcdonald
Interesting book. I would read others by this author. I wouldn't consider it a time travel book though. The main character dreams about her ancestors, she doesn't really travel back in time. (Other than one brief few minutes in one lifetime.)
Kathleen Kelly
I knew that I had read this book back in 1996 when it was first published from the moment I read the first chapter. I usually do not re-read a book but I wanted to read this one again as I am fascinated with anything to do with Ireland and Scotland as I am a bit of both and the history portrayed in this book kept me turning the pages. The story takes place in four different time periods, late 1300's. 1500's, 1700's and 1993-95. The story revolves around The Stone of Scone and the Traquair House,...more
Angela Simmons
My Review:
Christina Murray has been summoned to Traquair House and after the death of Lady Maxwell, Christina now finds that, she has inherited this piece of history. Little did she know she has also inherited the curse that comes along with the house. It seems that Christina has also fallen under the spell of her gorgeous neighbor, Ian Douglas. Although, it is not the handsome that haunts her dreams, instead she is plagued with vision of the past. Visions of three women who look exactly like Ch...more
Colette
Legacy is a beautiful written story that travels from present day Scotland to the various times in the past. This is one of those books that I just wanted to fall in love with, but just couldn't.

Normally I can list a ton of reasons why a book didn't work for me, but not with this one. The first half of the book really captured my attention and I loved how it went back and forth from the present day to the past. Somewhere along the way though, both stories started to lose me and no matter how ha...more
Rachel Skinner
Baker has carefully mixed fact with myth with fiction, and the several sub-stories set in various points of the past provide a wonderful scope of Scottish history. Each sub-story comes alive with the essence the period is known for, political turmoil included.

Unfortunately, the ending is riddled with problems. Some may be my personal opinion, such as the conclusion of the love story between the main characters leading the modern day plot, but others are flat out plot problems. The entire book hi...more
Julie
Legacy by Jeanette Baker was originally published in 1996, re-issued in 2011. This is an interesting book. It had one very small time travel moment, but I really wouldn't classify it as such. In fact, it's hard to put in a time frame, or specific romance genre. It's part paranormal, part contemporary, and part Scottish historical.
Christina Murray, ( in modern day- 1993), coming off a bitter divorce, unable to have children and living with diabetes, inherits Traquair House in Scotland. Upon her a...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
I just finished reading my first book by Jeanette Baker, Legacy, and now have another author to add to my favorites list. This book was enchanting and kept me up reading late. The author’s style is elegant, which added to my enjoyment of the book. Her words flowed with beauty. The characters are three dimensional and well written. It was easy to be drawn into their situations and care a great deal about them.

Legacy is a book with parallel stories, a main one set in the late twentieth century, a...more
Scotland. History. Suspense. A Family Curse. Time Travel. Legacy by Jeanette Baker has all of the individual elements that I love in a novel, and Baker was able to combine these elements into one fantastic story. And even better, it was a story that kept me awake when I was feeding my infant at night!

Christina Murray is a 38-year old American scholar on Scottish history. After her recent painful divorce, she is excited to discover that she is the heiress of Traquiar House, the oldest continuous...more
Donna
This book has very good reviews and they are probably well deserved. The story is well written, her characters are developed.
For me, I had a hard time keeping interest in the first few hundred pages. (There is 335 pages for the nook) It wasn't until the last hundred pages that I wanted to see what the outcome would be for these characters.
The book is written in a format that starts in 1298 Scotland then jumps to the present, then back to the past, then to the present. with a lot of history sur...more
Erin
Along the lines of The Face of the Maiden, this is another ghostly tale (albeit set in the early 1990′s) where the story appears through dreams/visions to the heroine. The book tells the story of 4 women, related by ancestry, a curse, and the Famed Destiny Stone of Scotland. Essentially, it seems like the same set of lovers repeating their tragic lives over and over until they get it right. While I found the first tale to drag on, it was understandable as the focus was also on the present day he...more
Brittany
If I rated based solely on concept and plot this would get a 5 however the writing wasn't great and the flow at times just wasn't right. I loved the historical references and the way it was incorporated into the present day. It has great bones but I think it could of used a little more editing to make it flow better and not make readers think "Wait where did that come from? Did I miss something?" Then have the reader flipping back pages to see if something was missed. I did this a few times and...more
Book Slut -K
I'd say this was more a 3 1/2, but I'm rounding up rather than down.

Here's the thing, I loved the flashbacks of Christina's ancestors. I adored them. As tragic as they all ended up, I wanted to take them to bed and snuggle them. Christina and Ian? Not so much. In fact, I'd find myself disappointed every time it would flash back to 1993, having gotten so engrossed in the past I completely forgot about Christina's present.
Mary
This was a free book on Kindle. I got it because of the high ratings and it was described as a historical novel. It turned out to be a romance novel with too many descriptive sex scenes. To be fair, it was loosely based on Scottish history and I did find that interesting. The time travel was confusing at times but I was able to work through that. This was definitely not my type of book...
Vivian Archer

This reads like a Greek tragedy with four love affairs and three ending badly. The ending though is perfect, just enough doubt to make the resolution that much sweeter. I have a deep affection for Scottish based historicals and this rakes through some of the most tragic moments of the people. Heartbreaking at times the time sweeps keep the despair from being to overwhelming.
Danielle
I enjoyed this book a lot. The cover is awful, so if I saw it in a bookstore I would have walked right past it. I loved the historical fiction, the actual history, and the different romances throughout the book. There was a nice ghost story twist which you don't often see in these books. I appreciated the author separating out the fact from the fiction at the end.
Cheap and Lazy
If you like your romances well-written with intricate plots, you'll enjoy this one. The various subplots all weave into the main plot, but some might find the constant switching disruptive. There are plenty of love scenes, since there are four couples. Only two get a happy ending, though. The ending wasn't quite as satisfying as I'd hoped, but that could just be me.
Samie Kauchis
A good Scottish Romance will always have a place in my heart. This book is that and more, it's Historical and Modern at the same time... It was a thrill to follow the paths of three of Christina's ancestors through three different time periods and events in Scottish History. This books kept me interested right down to the very last page.
Renee
There was absolutely no chemistry between any of the characters in this book. The romance just did not work for me as there didn't seem to be any love between the characters, just lust. The story line was more developed than the romantic element of the story which saved it from being completely disappointing.
Dawn Bursey
I really tried to read this book. But I just couldn't get into it. POVs are not really my thing so that might be a major part of the problem. I even put it down a couple times and tried again with no luck. This is just my opinion so please take with a grain of salt. Again POVs are not my thing
Mara

3 1/2 stars
I did not expect much from this book (just look at the cover :)...) But I have to admit that the suspense is nice and the story intriguing and never boring.

It reads more like "mystery" than romance (at least regarding the main couple).

CeladonRoses

I found the historical parts of this novel extremely interesting. Though, as anyone who knows Scottish history will attest, the historical parts were also heart-wrenching as the characters die tragically. An enjoyable read.
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • A Knight's Honor
  • The Mistress' House
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • A Hint of Rapture
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)
  • The Kindling Heart (The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance Series, #1)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
  • Her Master's Touch
  • A Knight in Central Park
  • The Privateer
  • Summer Loving
  • Someone Like You (Night Riders, #4)
  • George & the Virgin
  • A Kiss of Adventure (Treasures of the Heart #1)
51913
I love all things Irish, the language, a good cup of tea, soda bread, stew, smoked salmon, banoffee pie, green hills, happy cows, chedder cheese,... and all things Southern, sweet iced tea, southern hospitality, everything written by Anne Rivers Siddons and Johanna Trollope, blazing sunsets, driving through hot desert nights with the windows open, coffee and conversation with good friends, Katheri...more
More about Jeanette Baker...
Catriona Irish Lady Nell The Delaney Woman Witch Woman