Start by marking “The Chimes” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

3.13  ·  Rating Details ·  4,489 Ratings  ·  690 Reviews
The book has no illustrations or index. Purchasers are entitled to a free trial membership in the General Books Club where they can select from more than a million books without charge. Subjects: Family
Published August 8th 2012 by Rarebooksclub.com (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about The Chimes, please sign up.

Tessa in Mid-Michigan Look it up on Amazon. You will see what it is being sold for from various retailers. I find, today, that it starts at $10.00 and has one collectible…moreLook it up on Amazon. You will see what it is being sold for from various retailers. I find, today, that it starts at $10.00 and has one collectible asking $50.00(less)

Iris P
The Chimes

A few years ago, Audible released a new audio version of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and gave it for free to its members.

I had read the book and watched several movie adaptations of this holiday classic, but had never heard it on audio. And while I enjoyed listening, I didn’t quite click with the narrator.
Last week, I received an email from Audible offering another freebie, this time of The Chimes.

I immediately felt in love with the narrator, Richard Armitage, who I thought
Jean
The Chimes, or to give it its full title, The Chimes, a Goblin Story of Some Bells That Rang an Old Year Out and a New Year In, is the second Christmas book by Charles Dickens. It was written in 1844, a year after his phenomenally successful "A Christmas Carol", and continued the burgeoning tradition of an annual Christmas book in what he called the "Carol philosophy". He was to write five of these short novels, all of which have a strong social and moral message. He then discontinued them in fa ...more
Jake
Dec 05, 2009 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If A Christmas Carol is about making restitution after sins of commission, The Chimes is about the potential cost of sins of omission. That is what I got from this year's reading of a Dicken's holiday story. I read one every Christmas to get into the holiday spirit. (See also: The Haunted Man ).

I'm not a huge fan of Dickens, because I find reading him laborious. Yet, that is really my only gripe with him. I love the characters, settings and situations he created. I just wish he hadn't been so
Duane
If you're looking to add some "merry" to your Christmas reading you might want to look elsewhere. Dickens's delivers his holiday messages in bitter doses. Alrhough you will find his ability to create interesting stories and memorable characters intact, it's still depressing. This one's along the lines of A Christmas Carol but not as good.
Lyn
Dec 19, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the 1840s Charles Dickens wrote five Christmas related stories that promulgated his social and moral messages of his time.

The first and still most famous and recognized, A Christmas Carol has become a staple of holidays entertainment. People worldwide are familiar with the story of Ebenezer Scrooge and how he got his groove back.

Less recognizable, but as every bit as enjoyable are the other four, The Chimes being the second, published a year after Scrooge. Toby "Trotty" Veck is a poor ticket-
Steve
Story: 5 stars
Narration: 2 stars

Most of us who have read, seen, and heard A Christmas Carol are unaware as to how shocking a piece of literature it was when it was originally published. Familiarity has softened its blow to the point that the story is viewed with a jaundiced eye, its effectiveness long worn off. The Chimes is even more brutal in its portrayal of 1840s England.

The Chimes is the second of five in Charles Dickens's "Christmas Books". Written in 1844, it was published a year after A
Mpauli
Nov 07, 2014 Mpauli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Due to my large tbr, reviews will follow in 2015, but all I can say is that there aren't enough drugs in the world that will help me to understand the second part of the story completely.^^
Colleen Houck
Such lovely writing. It's almost unapproachable. Charles Dickens definitely has a recognizable style. This book invoked Christmas and second chances. Love it.
Jean
For my review of the text of The Chimes, the second Christmas book by Charles Dickens, please link here

The beautiful monochromatic-shaded watercolour illustrations in this edition from 1912, are by Charles Green:

The book forms part of a series of the five main Christmas books by Charles Dickens, which the soap manufacturer “Pears” produced: a “Centenary Edition” to celebrate one hundred years since the author’s birth. Now, of course, more than another hundred years has passed. The Pears’ logo i
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
This holiday classic is reminiscent of A Christmas Carol in its approach. After reading the Wikipedia article on it, I found the following statement particularly poignant, summarizing what the book says we ought not to do : "Harking back to a golden age that never was, instead of striving to improve conditions here and now." A crime of which, I think, we all are guilty.
Tristram
Four Quarters May Not Always Make a Whole

In the autumn of 1844 Dickens was staying in Genoa and working on a second Christmas story which was due to an agreement with his new publishers and with which he wanted to reprise the success of A Christmas Carol. For quite a long time, the prolific author was at a loss about how to begin – maybe because he was working in surroundings unwonted to him – until he finally came up with the idea of writing the story of old and poor Toby Veck, a ticket porter,
Jenna
Richard Armitage is a delightful narrator but I found this a struggle to get through.

Wart Hill
Dec 13, 2015 Wart Hill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, audio
What is it with Dickens, Christmas, and Ghosts?

and what is it with GR and shitty changes?

important questions, friends. very important.
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of Dickens' three Christmas books. Like the first book in the series, "A Christmas Carol," "The Chimes" takes place during the "Hungry Forties." That would be the 1840's.

The main character, Trotty Veck, is a very poor man who works as a ticket porter on the streets of London. He adores his daughter Meg who is on the verge of marrying her love named Richard. Meg and Richard are going to get married on New Year's Day.

Trotty loves the church chimes and he and Meg feel the chimes
David
Dec 19, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: porters, poor couples engaged to be married, pompous aldermen
This is one of Dickens' less sentimental Christmas stories. It still has all the morality and heartfelt moral delivery of A Christmas Carol, but it's a darker, gloomier tale that addresses more directly the desperate fate of the poor whom Dickens wrote about most often.

They were old Chimes, trust me. Centuries ago, these Bells had been baptized by bishops: so many centuries ago, that the register of their baptism was lost long, long before the memory of man, and no one knew their names. They had
Sophia
I was happy to receive this audio story from Audible as their annual Christmas gift to listeners. I am only moderately familiar with the list of Charles Dickens' works so wasn't aware that he wrote a handful of stories for Christmas about the time he wrote A Christmas Carol. So, with a curiosity for another Christmas story from Dickens and of course to hear Richard Armitage narrate, I was pleased to tune in.

The story is a novella and is all told from the perspective of old Toby the porter for on
Stacey
Dec 14, 2015 Stacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Not much for me to say about this one. Audible gives their members a freebie at Christmas time and this was it for 2015. It just wasn't for me, I don't think the narrator helped as he just wasn't my cup of tea.
Barbara
I'd do better reading rather than listening to Dickens. The Victoriam speech can be challenging. Very Dickens with extremes of utter poverty contrasted with the relative prosperity of the middle class.
Katerina
Dec 18, 2015 Katerina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Бедным, но хорошим людям холодно и голодно, потом совсем плохо, а потом хорошо. Рождественский такой мистер Диккенс.
Chris
I listened to 89% of this, and I am sorry RA, but even your wonderful voice does not make this good down. Dickens, my dear, our love-hate relationship continues.
Gary
May 23, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A follow up of A Christmas Carol, but not nearly as well known. while the protagonist of A Christmas Carol is a wealthy employer who despises the poor, the protagonist of this novel is one of the poor himself, lowly porter Trotty, who sadly has been infused with feeling of low self-worth with which he views the working class as a whole.
His daughter Meg is engaged to married to Richard, and while he has misgivings Trotty hides them ,but then three pompous, judgemental upper class figures visit an
Tom Brennan
I think this is an excellent companion to A Christmas Carol, which makes sense because it was the next Christmas novella Dickens wrote following that classic tale. The two stories share Dickens' major themes - the welfare of the poor and destitute, and society's apathy toward their plight (or, in the case of The Chimes, the upper class members of society consider themselves great friends of the poor, when they clearly are not). Toby "Trotty" Veck's travels (Dickens always comes up with awesome n ...more
Julie  Durnell
3.5 Stars A timely tale, for my first book of the year, of New Year spirits in the vein of Christmas Carol but not quite as good. But it is Dickens what more can I say?!
"Had Trotty dreamed? Or are his joys and sorrows, and the actors in them, but a dream; himself a dream; the teller of this tale a dreamer, waking but now? If it be so, O listener, dear to him in all his visions, try to bear in mind the stern realities from which these shadows come; and in your sphere-none is too wide, and none to
Renee M
Nov 09, 2014 Renee M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS BELOW!

Overall, I'm disappointed. But I suspect it's because I'm so fond of A Christmas Carol. The language and description here are sumptuous. But the characters have no depth or nuance. And the "blow for the poor" misses the mark. It's too obviously preachy.

In CC, Dickens us more successful because he shows his audience the path to change. He has spirits show Scrooge a bleak future to affect his present. In this, we see a bleak future for no apparent reason. Trotty does not change, no
Andrea
Jan 21, 2017 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, audiobook
Ok, so I've read this story twice before in two different editions of Dickens' Christmas stories I own, but honestly, I remembered very little about it. I'll admit, the only reason I got this was because Richard Armitage narrates it (because, hello, that voice! I would happily listen to anything the man narrates ^^). But listening to him bringing the story to live I couldn't for the life of me remember why this story never stuck with me.

"I know that our inheritance is held in store for us by Ti
Nick Iuppa
Dec 27, 2015 Nick Iuppa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Charles Dickens

Dickens was commissioned, or so I read, to write a series of holiday stories… Novella’s actually. The first one may be one of the best-known tales ever told, A CHRISTMAS CAROL. The second story, which came out a year later, actually celebrates New Years, and it’s called THE CHIMES. In spite of it’s initial success, almost no one these days has ever heard of the book. How come?

There may be several reasons, and the biggest is obvious. It’s certainly overshadowed by one of
Emily
Damn you, Dickens! Ooh, okay, that may be a bit strong, but seriously, good grief. Every Christmas, Audible sends out a little gift, usually some one-off Christmas story or another. Last year, it was a version of The Snow Queen, and the year before that it was The Cricket on the Hearth, so I have now read three of Dickens' five Christmas tales. For me, this one has a similar problem to Cricket, which is to say Dickens and I have different ideas of what qualifies for Yuletide subject matter. This ...more
Samantha
Like many other Dickens novels, I felt like I was dragging myself through this book. It felt sort of like trying to read The Professor after enjoying Villette. For everyone other than the 1 person who understands that reference, I mean to say that this book will disappoint if you're looking for another Christmas Carol.

The Chimes has obvious similarities to A Christmas Carol. Occurring on New Year's Eve rather than Christmas Eve, we get a similar eye-opening spiritual visit that causes the protag
Jesse
Dec 31, 2015 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles Dickens wrote The Chimes in 1844. 1844. Coming up on two hundred years ago. It's pretty amazing that words from nigh on two hundred years ago have such power, even today. By the end, my chest physically hurt, I couldn't breathe, and it quite literally moved me to tears.

A lot of similar lessons from the much more well-known A Christmas Carol, though from the opposite angle...and with even more of an edge to them. At the outset, the narrative mentions being "brought low" ... but even then,
Jimmy
Dec 30, 2012 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Chimes is the story for New Year's Day. Dickens followed up his Christmas Carol in his series of Christmas stories with The Chimes, again with a deep moral and message for the society of the Victorian age. The characters are typically Dickensian, with an old porter Trotty Veck as the main character. Trotty learns from the Chimes after a journey with the spirits, that good come come from all men no matter their station and the poor are not destined to be bad. An enjoyable read, maybe rather m ...more
  • Locke & Key
  • A Lodging for the Night
  • Old Christmas: From the Sketch Book
  • A Walk in the Night and Other Stories
  • The Sphinx Without a Secret
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • Psychosis: Tales of Horror
  • Goodnight and God Bless: On Life, Literature, and a Few Other Things, with Footnotes, Quotes, and Other Such Literary Diversions
  • The Great Tennessee Monkey Trial
  • The Christmas Angel
  • The Moorland Cottage and Other Stories
  • Christmas Eve, 1914
  • The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • Plays Unpleasant
  • El Corazon Delator Y Otros Cuentos
  • The Bride of Lammermoor
  • Long Way Home
  • The Playground
Charles John Huffam Dickens (7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870) was an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the twentieth century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and sho ...more
More about Charles Dickens...

“A new heart for a New Year, always!” 31 likes
“So may the New Year be a happy one to you, happy to many more whose happiness depends on you!” 21 likes