Start by marking “Winterfair Gifts (Vorkosigan Saga)” as Want to Read:
Winterfair Gifts (Vorkosigan Saga)

Winterfair Gifts (Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #13.1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  3,596 ratings  ·  121 reviews

This Hugo-nominated novella adds a delightful extra chapter to Bujold’s acclaimed Vorkosigan series. Falling in between the novels A Civil Campaign and Diplomatic Immunity, it describes the wedding of Miles and Ekaterin and the events leading up to it.

In the festive season of Winterfair on the planet Barrayar, Lord Miles Vorkosigan is making elaborate preparations for his

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published January 1st 2002)

Stephen
2.0 stars. I am a BIG Miles Vorkosigan fan but I was disappointed in this Novella. It was not bad, but it was also not good (hence the "okay" rating). The prose was good (as usual from Bujold) but the events of the story were just not compelling enough to warrant this stand alone Novella.

I highly recommend the Vorkosigan saga, but don't start with this story.

Nominee: Hugo Award for Best Novella.
Jim
Nothing is simple for Miles. Bujold's series is so character driven & this story gathers them together for the wedding, the results are what you'd expect - wonderful. She also develops a couple of characters we've met before.

In the scheme of things, if this story was skipped, it probably wouldn't hurt the series, but I'm glad I didn't.
Liana
I always liked the scene in A Civil Campaign where Armsman Roic confronts the Escobarans during the bug butter fight. I thought that Miles's reaction was amusingly understated, but appropriate. But of course I didn't think how embarassing it could have been from Roic's point of view. I already felt somewhat familiar with Roic after reading Cryoburn, so it was easy to forget that Roic is still relatively new to the household (but still fiercely loyal as all the Vorkosigan retainers appear to be). ...more
Sho
A comfort reread. I love this short story which shines the spotlight to the background characters in the Vorkosigan household. The staff of the estate is always there and you do meet them in the previous novels, especially to those close to Miles. But with this story you have an idea of what the ordinary people who get caught up in Miles feels and see his world.

Straight after reading this I am rereading Cryoburn. I can appreciate a lot more in the way Roic handles things! Way to go Roic,you wil
Elizabeth Galewski
Ostensibly about Miles Vorkosigan's marriage to Ekaterin Vorsoisson, this novella is actually a Cinderella tale for Sergeant Taura, the uber-Amazon mercenary killer with a tender heart.

You would think that Taura would have cause to be jealous at Miles' wedding, since he was once her lover. And you can imagine how an armsman from the backcountry would react to the lethal giantess, what with Barrayar's antiquated notions about women. So when Armsman Roic first meets Taura, the story seems to lead
Phil
Winterfair Gifts first debuted in a genre romance anthology called Irresistible Forces, but I'd only recommend it to those already familiar with the Vorkosigan stories, as it doesn't stand on its own very well. While not an indispensable entry in Bujold's long-running Vorkosigan series, this novella was a very satisfying read, one of those rare stories that left me with warm fuzzies after the story's conclusion.

Taking place between A Civil Affair and Diplomatic Immunity, plot is secondary in thi
Kay
A very interesting addition to the Vorkosigan saga, especially for including, however briefly, the voices of many, many of the main and subcharacters from the series. It seems to me that Bujold excels at illuminating character and world view through the briefest of dialogs, just through tone and word choice, and what we may remember of events in previous works. It adds still another level of joy to reading her.

This novella deals with the events leading up to the wedding of Miles and Ekaterin, to
Wayne McCoy
This is a follow up novella to A Civil Campaign told from the perspective of one of the minor supporting characters.

Seeing events through another character's eyes puts a unique perspective on events leading up to a major event. I find it interesting that the author chose to make a major event happen in a novella, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

Old characters are brought back in for the events (it's great to have Taura back), a mystery is presented, and everything is wrapped up with all th
Miles weds Ekaterin; Roic meets Taura. At this point, I'm well aware that this string of five-star ratings reflects more my complete immersion into the series these last few weeks via manic re-read than the individual quality of these books, but the immersion earns the rating.
Christy

Poor Roic! How can a simple provincial boy match up to the sophisticated world he finds himself in as one of Lord Vorkosigan's Armsmen, especially after being found in m'lord's hallway, more than half-naked and covered in bug butter?

Very enjoyable novella in the Miles in Love omnibus. I really like these omnibus editions, especially because they include the extra little short story or novella that might be hard to find elsewhere. It's great to discover this series when it's so far along that I
Tim Fay
The Brilliance of Her Characters

I've been following her since I picked up Shards of Honor back in the Eighties, when I fell in love with Lois's characters. Lois is a master storyteller, and her great gift is in the creation of characters the reader cards about. You WANT to know what happens next. I find myself waiting almost breathlessly for the next story.
While I am a bit of a romantic, Cordelia and Aral's story is an original, and unique. How two people from opposing sides meet, fall in love i
Moira Fogarty
A jolly nice little audiobook listen, perfect for snowy winter days, perfect for commuting. This was my first taste of Lois McMaster Bujold, who I know to be held in high regard by several of my friends who are inveterate readers (to the point that they nicknamed their home "Beta Colony"). I did not expect such a pleasing blend of sci-fi, romance, and espionage; a tiny little slice of fun space opera in a wee novella.

The plot was tremendously predictable, in a children's pantomime, "look out, t
blindmouse
A novella; not a Miles-pov book but part of the Miles chronology, between A Civil Campaign and Diplomatic Immunity.

Armsman Roic is still trying to prove himself after the bug butter debacle, and the fact that apparently everybody except him was briefed on the part where one of Miles' wedding guests was a genetically engineered giantess with tusks is not helping him keep his footing. Taura is not at all what Roic was expecting, though, from that first impression.

This was lovely. I'm very fond of
Carolyn
This charming novella is itself a gift from the author to fans of her Vorkosigan series. It follows on from the events in A Civil Campaign with the arrival of guests for the wedding of Miles and Ekaterin. Along with the Bothari-Jeseks and Arde Mayhew, Sergent Taura arrives to celebrate her ex-lover's nuptials. The story is told from the viewpoint of Armsman Roic, who has never seen anyone like Taura before, a huge half human, half mutant, super-soldier with fangs.

Miles does not feature much in t
Carolyn F.
I read this in the omnibus Miles in Love. I was surprised it's told through Roic's, one of the guardsman's, point of view. We see the wedding through his eyes and his unexpected attraction to Taura. A little intrigue is thrown in for good measure. I love reading forwards and afterwards and this book's afterward is worth reading.
Karen
You know, I'm struggling to find words to explain why I love these books so much. I'm reminded of the time in recent past when the kids and I discovered Tamora Pierce and began listening to her titles voraciously. We went through Daine's story, then Kel's, then the trickster bits, all in record time. There's something so pleasant about reading multiple titles in an author's universe when it's been well thought-out and the pieces and parts fit together in delicious little payoffs for attentive re ...more
Linda
This novella is part of the Vorkosigan series. It deals with Miles' marriage but is more a story of his armsman Roic and former lover Sargeant Tauric. Roic and Tauric alert ImpSec about a questionable wedding gift, a pearl necklace that turns out to have a chemical embedded in it that would killed the bride. This redeemed Roic, after the butter bug disaster in A Civil Campaign, and got Tauric the maid of honor slot at the wedding. The major focus though was how Tauric was perceived, with her cla ...more
Nathaniel
As I mentioned in my review of A Civil Campaign, Winterfair Gifts is one of the first Vorkosigan Saga books to transition away from Miles Vorkosigan as viewpoint character. That's a promising start, but unfortunately the plot still revolves primarily around Miles' concerns. And, you know, if Miles is no longer interesting enough to be a viewpoint character (and he's not), then he's no longer really interesting enough to be the centerpiece of a plot.

I also have to confess that I simply don't like
Andrea
A little sentimental, but engrossing and sweet. Not one for readers who haven't followed most/all the Vorkosigan books, though.
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit. http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Warning: Contains spoilers for previous VORKOSIGAN books.
Winterfair Gifts is a novella that tells the story of Miles Vorkosigan’s wedding to the widow Ekaterin Vorsoisson. It you want to follow the chronology, it should be read after A Civil Campaign and before Diplomatic Immunity. You will probably also want to first read the short story “Labyrinth” which can be found as a stand-alone or in the novel Borders of Infinity.

This s
Kathleen
I enjoyed this novella. It's a smexy, poignant, and mildly suspenseful space opera.

Winterfair Gifts is based on three other prequels: The novella Labyrinth, and the full length novels, Komarr and A Civil Campaign.

Or, skip Labyrinth if not interested in how Miles and Taura first met (a good story), and just read the three, also published in the collection, Miles in Love

The three books, revolve primarily around Lord Miles Vorkosigan and his new heart-throb, a courageous Vor widow named Ekaterin (w
Fantasy Literature

This story is told from the perspective of one of Miles’ new armsmen — Roic — who we (or at least I) remember fondly as the tall mus
Kaushik Iyer
Just a fun vignette for completists and fans of the Miles saga. Not much to say either way. It's a nice read before CryoBurn which also features Roic in a more active role.
Olgalijo
I'm happy that Miles wedding was not made into a full blown action plot. Although one can never expect everything to go smoothly with Miles, I did wish for a happy, mostly uneventful wedding. I also liked that Taura got her little bit of extra attention. She is such a tragic character that she deserves attention.
Beth
Ah, I feel rather torn about this one. Armsman Roic is charming, and I'm always delighted to see Taura... but for an event as significant as Miles' wedding, I really wish we could have had the groom's own perspective (to say nothing of the bride's!) I suppose that Roic is meant to provide a neutral view of events and personages, though. If a junior armsman, relatively new to Vorkosigan House, can grasp how well-equipped Ekaterin is to handle the danger and challenge inherent in marriage to a tro ...more
Sineala
This is the story of Miles and Ekaterin's wedding as seen by Miles' Armsman Roic, with a guest appearance from Taura and a little bit of an intrigue plot.

Basically, what I have to say is: TAAAAAURAAAAAAAAAA.

I love Taura so much, you guys. She is the best character. So I am thrilled that she shows up again and for that reason you should definitely read this.

The actual plot: Eh, well, it's a wedding.

You should read it, though -- why wouldn't you? It won't take long. (And it is definitely better th
Donna
Perfect gem of a story in the Vorkosigan world. It's the story of Miles and Ekaterin's wedding but told through the eyes of a young armsman, Roic. It's a masterful blend of action, romance and humor.
Brad
This novella is really about Tara and Miles's armsman, with a nominal marriage, christmas, and murder intrigue thrown in. It wasn't my favorite of the tales, but it has its place and it was amusing.
Andreas
This short story forms an epilogue of sorts to Komarr and A Civil Campaign. It is told from the viewpoint of armsman Roic. A few days before Miles and Ekaterin’s wedding guests in the form of Miles’ friends from the Dendarii Free Mercenaries arrive. Taura in particular is focused on in a brief tale leading up to the wedding.

The story is cute, but would not be worth much if it hadn’t been tacked on to the end of the Miles in Love omnibus. It is certainly worth reading, and it forms a nice bookend
Klytia
Romanzo trascurabile sia all’interno della saga dei Vor che come romanzo di fantascienza.
La prima metà è dedicata alla scelta del colore dell’abito che dovrà indossare la povera Taura al matrimonio di Miles – ma dov’è finita la temibile guardia del corpo dell’ammiraglio Naismith? - e alle considerazioni sui problemi di altezza di Roic, la seconda metà all’organizzazione e celebrazione del matrimonio, con dettagli sulle decorazioni del giardino e dei pizzi delle dame; nel mezzo un po’ di giallo.
Sci Fi Aficionados: WinterFair Gifts 7 19 Mar 31, 2014 12:18PM
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • The Vorkosigan Companion
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • Sporting Chance (The Serrano Legacy, #2)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1) Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7) The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2) Paladin of Souls (Chalion, #2) Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)