Start by marking “A Slepyng Hound to Wake” as Want to Read:
A Slepyng Hound to Wake

A Slepyng Hound to Wake (Henry Sullivan #2)

Sullivan has a new girlfriend, a new apartment, and a shelf load of troubles. A bookscout sells him a book-- and is murdered later that night. His neighbor seems to have a stalker. And wherever he goes, there's a cop watching him. To save those he loves, Sullivan has to save himself ...
Published August 9th 2011 by Small Beer Press (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Slepyng Hound to Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Slepyng Hound to Wake

Patty
Aug 28, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it
I don't think I liked this one as much as the first in the series but it was pretty good. The reason I didn't like it as well is that the mystery was mostly way on the back burner while Henry ran around worrying about plagiarism and the death of brick and mortar bookstores, specifically the bookstore where he got his start and that is still owned by his friend Barbara.

Also, there wasn't enough of Albert, Henry's "refuse management" friend and wise counsel.

But, I did enjoy spending time with Hen
Shannon Teper
Jan 17, 2016 Shannon Teper rated it really liked it
Yes, this is a mystery, and a good one, though it only seems to become one in the last fifty pages. The first part of the book is the set up, and rambles a bit, but it's an interesting ramble. Listening in on their conversations, the reader gets to know the quirky characters like old friends, and the author also takes us on a poignant exploration of the end of the era of independent bookstores. The characters were likeable, the mystery solid, the ending satisfying. Upon finishing the book, I wan ...more
Oct 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
As someone who is deeply attached to the printed word (I worked in a bookstore for many years before I became a librarian) I identify strongly with a gloomy statement Henry makes rather late in the book (p.196)...

"The number of people who can read goes up, and the number of people who want to read goes down. The ones that do all read the same stuff. Any chain store can supply that crap..."

And that is why I hope Mr McCaffrey continues writing. It's not "the same stuff, " and I enjoy his work imm
Ann
Sep 27, 2011 Ann rated it did not like it
I'm not sure what I thought of this book. I had to make myself finish it, so it never really grabbed my interest, even though the elements in the story are among my favorites. The 'hero' is apparently some sort of magnet for any female of any age. That was really irritating by the end of the book and the 'mystery' felt like there weren't any clues for the reader and the author thought this was a good place to solve the murder, although we're not sure there was one. Very ambiguous. I won't bother ...more
Nikki
Nov 29, 2011 Nikki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
I skimmed through this one, since I was pretty sure it wouldn't be for me and I just wanted to give it a token effort since, after all, I did buy it. I didn't get on well with the first book though -- it left me feeling very frustrated at the waste of time -- and this one, I'm told, was written first.

True to expectations, I didn't like this at all. There were just no hooks there for me -- even the love of books didn't get across to me. Meh.
Bob Parks
Dec 30, 2010 Bob Parks rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I think I enjoyed this more than the first. I found the first book to be dark and moody. In contrast, Hound 2 had humor and thoughtfulness and hope. I will agree with some of the other readers out there -- Henry's attractiveness to the opposite sex seemed almost viral, but that added to many humorous moments in the story.
The dialogue between Henry and Barbara towards the end of the story was interesting. Where will the book business go next?
Denise Eggleston
Jul 30, 2011 Denise Eggleston rated it really liked it
This was the second in a series of "Hound" (as in book-hound) books. The author's notes says that it was actually the first one written. I was not surprised because there was much more lecturing about the state of bookstores, particularly those that carry older novels by once popular writers. Authors that still have a lot to say about being human.
Lindig
Jan 08, 2012 Lindig rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, unfinished
I really wanted to like this book because it's about booksellers and scouts, and the author used to own a very well known bookstore. As long as he was talking about books and the business, all was well. Unfortunately, the main character was a bore and a wimp, and the women were appalling. So I quit. Boo.
Diane S ☔
2nd in this English series about a book seller, his personal troubles but much info about books, the selling business, plagiarism etc. Haven't made up my mind if I like this series or not because they can be a little dry.
E
E rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Adam Augusta
Adam Augusta rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Orbiting
Orbiting rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Dcdfn
Dcdfn rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
May 06, 2014
Anita
Anita rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Mary Kay
Mary Kay rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2012
Gavin Grant
Gavin Grant rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2015
Joslyn
Joslyn rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Lissa
Lissa rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2011
Wayne Rhodes
Wayne Rhodes rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Carl
Carl rated it did not like it
Nov 05, 2014
Alissa Grosso
Alissa Grosso rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2012
Joel
Joel rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Sean Mcnamara
Sean Mcnamara rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was ok
May 18, 2015
Liz M
Liz M rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2013
Vincent McCaffrey has owned and operated the Avenue Victor Hugo Bookshop for more than thirty years, first in Boston, and now online from Abingdon, Massachusetts. He has been paid by others to do lawn work, shovel snow, paint houses, and to be an office-boy, warehouse grunt, dishwasher, waiter, and hotel night clerk. He has since chosen at various times to be a writer, editor, publisher, and books ...more
More about Vincent McCaffrey...

Henry Sullivan (2 books)