Start by marking “We Bought a Zoo” as Want to Read:
We Bought a Zoo

We Bought a Zoo

3.46  ·  Rating Details ·  5,289 Ratings  ·  835 Reviews
Benjamin Mee uprooted his family and moved them to a dilapidated zoo with over two hundred exotic animals, his dream to refurbish the zoo and run it as a family business. Refurbishing alone was no easy task, and then tragedy struck.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2011 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2008)

K.D. Absolutely
My work in the office is to be in front of the computer for almost the whole day. I’m an information technology-systems analyst guy assigned on North American projects so I rarely talk to anybody except during lunch time. Due to this, I can don a headset and listen to a radio station. 8 hours a day.

Since early this January, my favorite afternoon station, RJ 100.30 has been airing the teaser for the movie adaptation of this memoir We Bought a Zoo with one line that goes something like: ”You don’
Jean
This is the story of one man's dream, and how he achieved it. But it is no fairy story, although there is a happy ending of sorts.

Benjamin Mee is a journalist, with a talent for making what must have been a traumatic and nerve-racking experience sound both entertaining and poignant. This is his true account of how he bought a failing ramshackle zoo, with the aim of rescuing and re-opening it to the public. There are about two hundred animals now in his care, in the revamped Dartmoor Zoological P
Terri
Mar 04, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part of what I'm writing is a review of the book, and part of it is a review of the reviews of the book. First of all, a disclaimer: I am primarily, by personal choice, a fiction reader, but I do know that one must bring different reading skills and expectations to a non-fiction account than to a novel. This book is exactly what it says, the story of a young British family living in France (think of some of those House Hunters International episodes from HGTV). The father is a writer of DIY arti ...more
Yzobelle
Jan 26, 2012 Yzobelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
After loving the movie so much, it is difficult for me to give this book 3 stars. I thought and hoped I would be able to proudly give it 5 shining stars.

The book is not entirely bad. Benjamin Mee wrote as a journalist would -- the style was flowing, easy-to-read, a bit witty, and has a pretty good play of words. It was perhaps the focus of the book and the diversion from the movie (or rather, vice-versa -- the movie diverted from the book) that made it a little disappointing. I was expecting to
Ellen
Sep 26, 2008 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's written rather breathlessly and the photo gallery is completely unsatisfying (more shots of the house and zoo rather than their animal inhabitants would have been nice, not to mention more photos of the family) but the tale itself is pretty darn touching.

The Reading For P...: April Nonfiction Group Read - We Bought a Zoo 10 12 Apr 12, 2015 03:53PM
Book Broads: 14 1 3 Jan 06, 2015 08:17PM
  • Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • The Beauty of the Beasts: Tales of Hollywood's Wild Animal Stars
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
  • Shadow Mountain: A Memoir of Wolves, a Woman, and the Wild
  • Poseidon's Steed: The Story of Seahorses, from Myth to Reality
  • Dangerous Beauty - Life and Death in Africa: True Stories From a Safari Guide
  • Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats: A Journey into the Feline Heart
  • One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story
Benjamin Mee, a former bricklayer and decorator, returned to education in his early twenties in order to investigate animal intelligence. Ben studied psychology at UCL and wrote his dissertation on dolphin intelligence, after which his first article appeared in the Independent, while he was a student on the MSc in Science Journalism at Imperial College.

As the world preferred articles on health and
More about Benjamin Mee...

“You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.” 373 likes
“All it takes is 20 seconds of insane courage and great things will happen.” 16 likes