Start by marking “Barron's New GRE: Graduate Record Examination” as Want to Read:
Barron's New GRE: Graduate Record Examination

Barron's New GRE: Graduate Record Examination

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The GRE Graduate Record Exam is changing substantially starting in August 2011, and Barron's is now ready with a thoroughly revised test prep manual that reflects the new exam's content. Although the GRE's Analytical Writing section remains essentially unchanged, new question types appear in both the GRE's Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections, and the model ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Barron's Educational Series (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Barron's New GRE, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barron's New GRE

Shersta
No, the start and finish dates are not typos. This book is so cram-packed with vocabulary, math reviews, and testing strategies that it took me months to get through it all! At times, I felt like pulling my hair out over the difficulty of the practice questions (mostly quantitative), but after taking the GRE I can say that they were right on target as far as the difficulty level of the questions I saw on the test. I would have like more sample tests (the copy I had was a library copy, and missin ...more
Cain
This book was very useful in helping me prepare for the GRE. The vocabulary list is extensive (~4,000 words and definitions). The math review was very well explained, although a couple of topics were left out (e.g. standard deviation and distribution). I was so pleased with this book that I don't need it anymore. Hooray!
Ro Givens
(I actually had the 2009/18th version.) This prep book provides a ton of information. 3000+ words, a diagnostic test plus 2 practice tests, multiple section reviews, a math overview to rival many high school texts books. I only had a week to study, so I was a little overwhelmed by the information in this book. I think it's definitely important to use the Barron's verbal flash cards (sold separately) along with the verbal unless you want (and have time to) create a ton yourself. This book definit ...more
Lamadia
It was a really comprehensive review and the right length for a three month prep. I did find two big errors on surface area equations (they gave completely incorrect equations) but otherwise it helped a lot. There were math concepts I don't remember ever having learned and I was able to do them on the exam. I wish it had included standard deviation though. I had two questions on my GRE test about standard deviation and I couldn't remember anything about it.
Johnny
Post-Thoughts:
This is a very well organized study guide but not exactly balanced. Oppose to the other study guide I used, The Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test With CDROM , the background information is superb in explaining every minuscule features such as describing where the calculator on the computer-based exam is located, how is it different from a TI-83 calculator, and how many breaks you get in between each section when taking the exam.

I mentioned that the study guide was u
Michelle F.
It had great tips for test taking scenarios and what to expect when taking the GRE.
However, I was going over the math chapters in more detail and quite often I find simple typos and mistakes that lead to different answers than what I or other people have concluded to. Which makes me doubt the validity of the test problems and thus my own ability.
Anittah
Jul 05, 2008 Anittah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to score in the 50th percentile
I spent so much cognitive load during the second Barron's practice test wondering why the correct answer wasn't an option (turns out I was right; they screwed up) that for the first time in the history of my standardized test taking, my verbal was higher than my math. WTF.

I've already found two glaring errors in one of their practice tests and a third error in their section on analogies. Game over. How can I confidently prepare for the GRE's using Barron's when I keep tripping over their mistake
Ariel
Barron's devotes quite a bit of space to math review, which I think is a positive thing overall. It also has detailed tactics for the writing section, which I found useful. While I consider myself a good writer, standardized test essays are a different game.

While I thought the book was well done, I didn't give this 5 stars because I didn't see the improvement I had hoped to after working my way through the entire book. The diagnostic test at the front of the book placed me at 161V and 156M. I h
Hosein
This book was fabulous, it made me well prepared for the real test. Although the writing section seem a little insufficient but in overall it is useful and the No. 1 choice. A model test exist at the end of the book that has a indeed hard quantitative questions. Don't lose your self-confidence the real exam is rational in their questioning your skills.
Stefan Berteau
I picked this book up on the recommendation of a friend. I also tried a couple of books from other test prep companies (primarily when I had learned most of the questions on Barron's CD-ROM). Based on what I've seen, Barron's is far and away the best test preparation if you are willing to sit down and actually learn the material. I bought it primarily for math prep, and it focused heavily on underlying understanding of algebra and geometry. This book devotes comparatively little space to tricks ...more
Arda Aghazarian
"Cracking the GRE" is a much friendlier book than this one, but this one can be helpful seeing that it uses more complex examples and is "test-oriented."
Kristin
This is a very good test practice book. Five practice tests in the book, a CD with yet another practice test, a dictionary with practice questions for each of 50 alphabet segments, etc. If anything, it might have a bit too much information to digest. I used this as a supplement to a simpler practice book I also checked out from the library. I found the analytical writing section advice to be a bit lacking. I'm sure there's more they can tell you than make sure you can spell and use philosophical ...more
Lobna sameer
its good as a source of practice question, however its not balanced. meaning it has a very strong focus on the quantitative section and completely ignores the writing section.
you'll need something else on the side when you study from this book. Magoosh videos were a lot better in explaining problem solving strategies
note that there were around 2 mistakes in the final practice tests so be careful there.
Behrang Bootaki
As I had a glimpse on it, it can help, especially in mathematics.
Dusty
I consider this three-star rating an average. The first half of this book -- which treats the verbal section of the exam -- is quite good. The second half -- the part that deals with the math/quantitative section -- is not so good, especially for a test-taker who may need more than a one- or two-sentence explanation for certain problems.

Tomorrow morning is the test. Do I feel prepared? Yikes...
Arianne
This book is useful for: 1) vocabulary improvement (it has a larger list of words than other prep books). 2) for review if you need to brush up on basic math skills. For good or bad, it goes over the concepts and how to actually work out the problem, versus other prep books that show you how to pick out the answer most quickly from a multiple chooice question.
Sommer
I cannot say I enjoyed this book. Rather, after four years of studying in undergrad, I am putting the GRE on hold for the moment. I needed a break! But it did the trick, I got about ten solid hours of GRE studying in. I quit for now, lack of motivation I suppose. Good Luck to those wanting to tackle the test, you will get there!!
Sandra Clark
I'm taking the GRE in February. So far, I'm finding this book very useful. The math section assumes a lot of general knowledge, so an additional math help book is probably needed by people like me.

I don't think the CD-ROM version of this book is worth it - there are plenty of other sample tests for free online.
Mike
Lots of errors and poorly organized -- it's good for reading straight through, but it's hard to find specific information. Lots of good practice problems and comprehensive math review. Only a fraction of the tips were that useful to me (either they were incredibly obvious or I disagreed with them).
Kenny
More practice tests (5) than the 2009 version (2) and, aside from cosmetic changes, looks to have the same content. Very extensive vocabulary (35,000) + 50 antonym/synonym quizzes of 10 MC questions, compared to Princeton Review (<10,000 words) and only 4 quizzes
Diana
Jan 22, 2010 Diana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone studying for the GRE (duh)
Recommended to Diana by: Elisa
Shelves: 2010, school-psych
I thanked my lucky stars for this book after walking out the GRE with my scores. In just 3 weeks of studying after taking the diagnostic practice test, my verbal score went up 90 points and my math score went up 170 points. Highly recommended!
Mohammed Al-Garawi
This is a great guide for test takers. The math sections is detailed and well-organized. It's a great source for revision and learning quick tricks and, sometimes, new concept. I'd recommend it to anyone who's planning to take the test.
Jessica Mckenzie
Good for vocab (though there are FAR more words stuffed into this book than you'll ever see on the actual test). Be prepared- in all regards- for over-preparation with this book.
Lara
I read the whole thing, and my score went up vastly! I'm pretty terrible at standardized tests, but using this book got my GRE score up to my school's standards. Whew!
Amina Ahmed
Dec 14, 2007 Amina Ahmed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all GRE aspirants
Barrons is good for the following reasons:
1. an exhaustive word list,
2. 4 model paper tests,
3. sufficient math prep with tests at the end of each math topic.
Brianna Soloski
If you can only afford one study guide, make it this one. It's a comprehensive overview of everything on the test, with an emphasis on the math.
Mohammed Al Zahrani
this book is very useful and it helped me alot to improve my quantative and analytical skills. I strongly recomend it for everyone :)
Kendra
The practice tests are helpful as well as the extensive vocabulary list. The math sections were hard to follow.
Khalid Al Khalili
Really good prep strategies, but doesn't focus on vocabulary building. Other than that, it's an excellent book.
Amanda
Okay prep for the GREs, although I needed a separate math book for refresher, but the language prep is decent.
  • Cracking the GRE, 2007 Edition (Graduate School Test Preparation)
  • Graduate Admissions Essays: Write Your Way into the Graduate School of Your Choice
  • Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
  • Essential Words for the GRE
  • The Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test [with CD-ROM]
  • Molecular Biotechnology: Principles and Applications of Recombinant DNA
  • English Grammar for Students of German: The Study Guide for Those Learning German
  • The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update
  • Fun with Maths and Physics : Brain Teasers Tricks Illusions
  • Irish Traditional Cooking: Over 300 Recipes from Ireland's Heritage
  • The New Book of Forms: A Handbook of Poetics
  • Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference: The Definitive Reference
  • SQL Pocket Guide
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? 2011: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
  • The Ultimate French Review and Practice: Mastering French Grammar for Confident Communication
  • Microeconomics and Behavior
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
Barron's SAT, 26th Edition Barron's SAT 2009  Pass Key to the New GRE Barron's CHSPE: California High School Proficiency Exam Barron's CHSPE: California High School Proficiency Exam