Start by marking “Bookclub-in-a-Box Discusses Cutting For Stone, the novel by Abraham Verghese” as Want to Read:
Bookclub-in-a-Box Discusses Cutting For Stone, the novel by Abraham Verghese

Bookclub-in-a-Box Discusses Cutting For Stone, the novel by Abraham Verghese

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Cutting for Stone is very simply one of the best books ever written and read. The narrative begins in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, when twin boys, Shiva and Marion, are born to a nun (who dies) and a surgeon (who runs away). The babies, conjoined at the head, are successfully separated immediately after birth. The original conjoinment and separation of the boys becomes the opera
Perfect Paperback, 79 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Bookclub-in-a-Box (first published December 1st 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Bookclub-in-a-Box Discusses Cutting For Stone, the novel by Abraham Verghese

Sue
Although this guide did a fair job of pulling together the themes and threads that run through the novel, it was not at all analytical or critical.
Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino
I thought this was a fantastic book, I could not put it down...I wish it had ended differently. I love the this author's writting style.
Carol Fink
I loved it! One of the best books I've read. I didn't want it to be finsihed.
Katherine
My favorite book in several years.
Ellen
This is a fantastic read that will take you first to Ethiopia and then later to NY where you can take a surgical residency. The book had a lot of nostalgia for me as it was so reminiscent of my own time spent as a surgical resident.

The book is quite well written and carries the reader on with teases all the way through, starting with, the narrator's mother was a nun? Read on! How is this so? And what about his mysterious and driven father. Will we ever meet him again?

I read the book and then lis
Louise
Apr 25, 2011 Louise added it
I loved the way Abraham Verghese made this feel like it was an actual event rather than fiction. I was so engrossed in the story and the characters, that I honestly looked at the end of the book for a validation that it was about actual facts! Yes, he totally researches his info, and is an actual Dr., but still this story amazed me. I loved the way this story lived for me. I am anxious to see if either of his other books is as good. After the disappointment of Lief Engers second novel though, I ...more
Mj
This saga of orphaned twins is both entertaining and informative. Most of it is set in Africa during a time of political unrest. Because most of the characters are doctors, the reader learns much about the diseases prevalent in the third world. When Marion, one of the twins moves to the U. S to escape arrest, the story begins to tie up the loose ends about the twins parents--an unlikely couple--a nun and a seemingly socially dysfunctional doctor.
Hazel
I recently finished Cutting for Stone, and it's going on my "all-time-favorites book list"! I didn't want it to end. What fascinating characters Abraham Verghese created! They were sooooo realistic that I just know they must be real, and he must have been a twin, and he must have grown up next to a "Ghosh" in real life. What a writer! Loved every minute of it.
Layne
Cutting for Stone is a great book. Very long however you feel as though you know the people when the book is finished. Somewhat melancholy.
Janet
I liked this book - it's a little haunting. It reminds me of a cross between the books COMPLICATIONS and ANGELA'S ASHES, yet it has its own voice. Yes, it does have language. Yes, it does have sexual situations. It is sometimes painfully graphic, but it was worth reading and I am glad I did.
Courtney
Wonderful, thought-provoking. The best book I have read in years. As a physician, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the medicine, but the story is so much more about family and love. I already want to read it again!
Jackie
One of the most compelling stories I've read this year, which was difficult to put down. The well-developed characters grew in wisdom which emerged in unexpected places.
Betty Davidge
simply one of my best reads.A neighbor recommend it,a book club read . couldn't quit till I finished.Should the author pen another book it would warrant looking into..
Kami Yorgason
Meh. Lots of technical/medical information. Storyline was good. Too detailed for me. I skimmed a lot. Some adult situations and language.
Kristy
loved the entire story, setting, characters from beginning to end. What a passionate and sometimes disturbing emotional venture.
Kimberly Melnyk
One of my all time favourite books. A wonderful story of love and sorrow.
Hazel Hindle
Brilliant book, couldn't put it down, cannot recommend it enough.
Chuck Stober
Highly recommended. One of the best stories I've read.
Sandy Jacobson
Beautifully written. It is one of my favorites
Bethany
i wish I could give this more than 5 stars
Terry
Aug 22, 2012 Terry added it
Great book, I read this a few years ago
Gustine
Haunting descriptions, engrossing characters. I am mourning the fact that this book is over.
Cassandra
This story was like a bad dream. The fulfilment of a desire/dream of a Superior Nun which cast two younger Nuns into death, one from cholera and eventually one from childbirth. The despair in this story was overwhelming but the storytelling was excellent.
Margaret Munzer
I like this but it was long!
Lucy
An interesting twist on brotherly competition. Special, new background and geography with a good cultural immersion.
Sharon Iberle
This book was not my favorite - I felt that there were too many story lines and a bit too graphic at times.
Annie
Couldn't get into this one so stopped partway through. Life is too short to read books you're not into!
Syahira
Dec 26, 2011 Syahira marked it as to-read
for this pioneer year(yeahh..for me who-newly-fall-in-love-of-english-novels-)
and i wanna read dis one!!
Lisa
Jan 22, 2015 Lisa added it
Am starting at the end of my CA vacation, hope to get hooked then pick back up in CR.
Hollie
Hollie marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Industry of Souls
  • The House Of Sight And Shadow
  • Waiting for Your Cat to Bark?: Persuading Customers When They Ignore Marketing
  • Childhood
  • Une saison dans la vie d'Emmanuel
  • Clear: A Transparent Novel
  • La Brute
  • The Siege of Isfahan
  • The Words to Say It
  • Un bon petit diable
  • Teach Yourself To Think
  • The Distance Between Us
  • Remembrance of Things Paris: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet (Modern Library Food)
  • Blood Sisters
  • فن البساطة
  • Grace Notes
  • Ravens in Winter
  • Life Class
As an educator, school librarian, writer, book-talk presenter and facilitator, Marilyn loves to read and talk about books. Her enthusiasm for reading and sharing led her to unite her two favorite things: people and pages. In turn, this led to the creation of Bookclub-in-a-Box, the ultimate discussion companion for contemporary works of literary fiction. Marilyn is always looking for a great debate ...more
More about Marilyn Herbert...
Bookclub-in-a-Box Discusses Someone Knows My Name / The Book of Negroes, the novel by Lawrence Hill Bookclub-in-a-Box Discusses A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini Bookclub in a Box Discusses Khaled Hosseini's Novel The Kite Runner Bookclub-in-a-Box Presents: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen The Bookclub-in-a-Box Discussion Guide to the book: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time