Start by marking “Great Short Short Stories: Quick Reads by Great Writers ” as Want to Read:
Great Short Short Stories: Quick Reads by Great Writers

Great Short Short Stories: Quick Reads by Great Writers

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
"To buy books would be a good thing," observed Arthur Schopenhauer, "if we also could buy the time to read them." All devoted readers long for more time to spend with their books, and the next best thing to buying time is making the most of the available moments. Great Short Short Stories: Quick Reads by Great Writers offers that opportunity. An outstanding collection of 3 ...more
Paperback, Dover Thrift Edition, 193 pages
Published August 10th 2005 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about Great Short Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Short Short Stories

Dee
Apr 15, 2015 Dee rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this collection! Each story was a joy to read and has given me so much more material that I want to read. A perfect book if you're looking for your next favourite book or author.
Maria
Jun 28, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I picked up this collection while looking for a book that could be read in snatches on a small screen, and I was utterly charmed. A good mix of classic authors whose names are synonymous with the genre, authors that are classic but not known for short stories, and authors that I hadn't heard of but am now glad I did. Am now planning to pick up more Dover Thrift short story collections.
Mary
Aug 07, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed several of these stories including a few of my favorites that I have read in other collections are "The Cask of Amontillado" by Edgar Allan Poe, "The Remarkable Case of Davidson's Eyes by H. G. Wells, and the "Sphinx Without a Secret" by Oscar Wilde. Some new ones I liked are "An Occurance at Owl Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce, "A Pair of Silk Stockings" by Kate Chopin, "The Luck of Roaring Camp" by Bret Harte, "Wee Willie Winkie" by Rudyard Kipling, "Sanctuary" by Nella Larson and " ...more
Marta
Jan 21, 2016 Marta rated it really liked it
It was great to recall the wit and cleverness of writers such as Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, Katherine Mansfield, Guy de Maupassant, Pushkin and others.
Elizabeth
Jul 13, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. It's one of those books that just weren't meant for me is all. Classic short stories in this book I found to be a bit boring but other's may really like it if they are into classical reading. I gave it a 3 star rating because it wasn't horrible it's just not for me and some of the stories were interesting.
Alison
Feb 25, 2013 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A good collection of shorts. I tend to prefer shorter stories, and I really enjoyed reading shorts from some authors I might not otherwise have discovered.
Jake Cooper
Mar 16, 2013 Jake Cooper rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics, shorts
20 of the 30 stories are from the same 30-year period (1886-1916), and 23 are American or English writers. Too little breadth, too few winners.
Coleman Concannon
Jan 03, 2013 Coleman Concannon rated it liked it
Great themeless collection of famous classics. As with all short stories, it often hooks you right as it ends.
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Wayne Ison
Wayne Ison rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2016
Mirtha Dominguez
Mirtha Dominguez marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Judy Struck
Judy Struck rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Laura Zhang
Laura Zhang is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2016
Fred
Fred is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2016
Claire Stamper
Claire Stamper marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Bothenjs
Bothenjs is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2016
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Robert Weber
Robert Weber marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Becky Rosenson
Becky Rosenson marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Kenneth Lalonde
Kenneth Lalonde rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Anthony Fotenos
Anthony Fotenos marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Albert Kivak
Albert Kivak rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Eric Bridges
Eric Bridges marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Lucy
Lucy is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2015