Start by marking “Together on Top of the World: The Remarkable Story of the First Couple to Climb the Fabled Seven Summits” as Want to Read:

On May 16, 2002, Phil and Susan Ershler reached the
top of Mt. Everest and became the first couple in history
to scale the fabled Seven Summits. What made
their achievement all the more remarkable was that Susan
was not a mountain climber, but a high-powered
Fortune ® 500 executive who had never hiked or climbed
until she met Phil at the age of 36. Phil, a professional
mountain g
Published April 2nd 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Together on Top of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Together on Top of the World

Sarah  Butcher
Jan 04, 2008 Sarah Butcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an AMAZING BOOK about adventure and discovering true love. While reading this book I discovered a lot about myself and what is important to a lasting loving relationship.

A MUST READ!!

Kathy
Jun 10, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible book. I am amazed at the strength that people have. I like to think that I am a strong person and when push comes to shove, I can overcome anything. But, Phil, pushed first; his strength and passion are truly inspiring. The book is written from both his and his wife's perspective. I liked his perspective better. Parts of hers were okay, but really only when she was talking about him.
Jay
Mar 02, 2009 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I have a fascination with high places, and very much enjoy reading about the rigors of climbing to them. This book doesn't dive into the technical climbing aspect as much as "The Climb" or "No Shortcuts to the Top". It does provide a much more comprehensive look into the life of a climber, both on and off the mountain. Very, very entertaining book.
Mt
Mar 22, 2011 Mt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and entertaining - I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It taught me that dreams may not happen exactly the way we expect them to but that they can happen if we visualize, plan and persevere. Excellent book about achieving dreams, supporting your partner through thick and thin and acting in spite of fear, rather than because of it.
stephanie decker
I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro with IMG, Phil's company and so learned about him and this book through my guide. I think I loved the book because I knew a lot of the names and the places described. I also love climbing so it really spoke to me, especially how both the authors continuously set goals for themselves and overcame many challenges to achieve them. Very inspirational.
Genny Moore
Dec 10, 2012 Genny Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book that demostrated what a truely strong relationship should look like during a difficult part of my life. That Phil Ershler did all of this while battling Crohn's disease is amazing!
I read this book during a very difficult time in my life and it helped to teach me how disfunctional my relationship was and helped give me reassurance and courage to get out of it.
Mayan
Mar 26, 2010 Mayan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelley
I found Phil Ershler's voice to be arrogant and obnoxious, but I quite enjoyed their story. I liked that the telling switched back and forth between husband and wife. They have accomplished some amazing things.
Feb 21, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was part love story, part high altitude adventure, with a little inspirational message thrown in. Of course, it didn't hurt that the male character is a mountaineer who suffers from Crohn's disease!
Jean
Feb 03, 2010 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but relationship based. I like to read the technical aspects of climbing. This book didn't offer much new as far as interesting facts about the seven summits. I liked it though and would recommend it.
Alyson
Jul 22, 2010 Alyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
There was a page or two toward the beginning where he talks about getting involved with a girl that they should have left out. I would cross out those few paragraphs for a younger reader but everything else was good.
Sherry
Dec 25, 2014 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't add much to what everyone else has said about this book. I really enjoyed it. I liked both Phil and Sue as individuals and as partners. I have done a little climbing so could relate to the pain and the joy. I would recommend it to certainly all my climbing friends with no hesitation.
Patti Mcconnell
Feb 24, 2015 Patti Mcconnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just a climbing story...

This book is not only about climbing, but life. Phil learns there is life after Crohn's disease. This book is also about facing your fears and told from both Phil and She's perspective. A very inspiring story.
Andy
Nov 15, 2011 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read. There were good adventure/climbing stories as well as the fun dating story of the Ershlers.
Janewin
Jan 25, 2016 Janewin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, very inspiring!
Cathy Ankenman
Jun 10, 2013 Cathy Ankenman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this true story of dream, struggle, victory. Great read!
Kenny Seneff
Mar 16, 2013 Kenny Seneff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute page-turner. Read this book with your spouse, it will make you both laugh, cry, and make you appreciate each other more.
Donald
Jan 05, 2008 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: climbing
This was an amazing book about a couple that truly knows how to take care of one another. The story is amazing, the people are amazing and I read this with an amazing woman.... Must read...
Carole
Apr 09, 2016 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I found it more of a love story of a marriage then a technical mountain climbing book. I liked the different spin this book had on the usual trek up the mountain.
Nicole
May 12, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic and inspiring story. Must read for all. Now on to planning my hike to Mount Elbrus and hope I meet my Phil along the way.
Yoli
Aug 22, 2008 Yoli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since Dan likes to hike highpoints, I bought this one for him! We both loved it! It really is a love story through sickness and health!!
David Garza
Jan 23, 2010 David Garza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring and captivating. This is one of the few books that I just couldn't put down. An awesome story of true overcomers.
Tyler
Apr 30, 2008 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!
I'm fascinated by people who climb mountains. This was an OK book - I did like hearing the story from the viewpoint of the husband and the wife.
This was a great inspirational way to get you moving book. It really makes you know that anything you put your mind to is possible if you want it bad enough. I loved this book.
Amalia
Sep 27, 2012 Amalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! The style is very engaging and refreshing. Hearing the two perspectives on the same story brings it to life!
Mohkev
Feb 21, 2010 Mohkev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. While it is filled with climbing tales and inspiration, it is also very much a love story that is not an unwelcome addition to the party. I highly recommend it.
Eric
Mar 14, 2010 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, adventure, romance, a little bit for everyone. It goes back and forth from both point of views.
Rick
Jan 18, 2010 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great inspirational story! wow!
Dean
Dean rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • We Hold These Truths to Be Self-Evident: 12 Natural Laws of Freedom, Progress, and Success
  • Leadership: Tidbits and Treasures
  • Resolved Primer: A Look Into The 13 Resolutions
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • Voyage of a Viking: How a Man of Action Can Become a Man of Grace
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
  • A Life on the Edge, Anniversary Edition: Memoirs of Everest and Beyond
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • Already Compromised
  • Toughen Up!
  • The 12 Week Year
  • Touch the Top of the World: A Blind Man's Journey to Climb Farther than the Eye Can See
  • The Return of the Ragpicker