Start by marking “Together on Top of the World: The Remarkable Story of the First Couple to Climb the Fabled Seven Summits” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  27 reviews
On May 16, 2002, Phil and Susan Ershler reached the
top of Mt. Everest and became the first couple in history
to scale the fabled Seven Summits. What made
their achievement all the more remarkable was that Susan
was not a mountain climber, but a high-powered
Fortune 500 executive who had never hiked or climbed
until she met Phil at the age of 36. Phil, a professional
mountain gu
Published April 2nd 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Together on Top of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Together on Top of the World

Sarah  Butcher
This is an AMAZING BOOK about adventure and discovering true love. While reading this book I discovered a lot about myself and what is important to a lasting loving relationship.

A MUST READ!!

stephanie decker
I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro with IMG, Phil's company and so learned about him and this book through my guide. I think I loved the book because I knew a lot of the names and the places described. I also love climbing so it really spoke to me, especially how both the authors continuously set goals for themselves and overcame many challenges to achieve them. Very inspirational.
Sherry
I can't add much to what everyone else has said about this book. I really enjoyed it. I liked both Phil and Sue as individuals and as partners. I have done a little climbing so could relate to the pain and the joy. I would recommend it to certainly all my climbing friends with no hesitation.
Patti Mcconnell
Not just a climbing story...

This book is not only about climbing, but life. Phil learns there is life after Crohn's disease. This book is also about facing your fears and told from both Phil and She's perspective. A very inspiring story.
Kathy
This is an incredible book. I am amazed at the strength that people have. I like to think that I am a strong person and when push comes to shove, I can overcome anything. But, Phil, pushed first; his strength and passion are truly inspiring. The book is written from both his and his wife's perspective. I liked his perspective better. Parts of hers were okay, but really only when she was talking about him.
Jay
I really liked this book. I have a fascination with high places, and very much enjoy reading about the rigors of climbing to them. This book doesn't dive into the technical climbing aspect as much as "The Climb" or "No Shortcuts to the Top". It does provide a much more comprehensive look into the life of a climber, both on and off the mountain. Very, very entertaining book.
Genny Moore
Awesome book that demostrated what a truely strong relationship should look like during a difficult part of my life. That Phil Ershler did all of this while battling Crohn's disease is amazing!
I read this book during a very difficult time in my life and it helped to teach me how disfunctional my relationship was and helped give me reassurance and courage to get out of it.
Mt
Inspiring and entertaining - I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It taught me that dreams may not happen exactly the way we expect them to but that they can happen if we visualize, plan and persevere. Excellent book about achieving dreams, supporting your partner through thick and thin and acting in spite of fear, rather than because of it.
Mayan
I really enjoyed this book. It was part love story, part high altitude adventure, with a little inspirational message thrown in. Of course, it didn't hurt that the male character is a mountaineer who suffers from Crohn's disease!
Jean
Interesting but relationship based. I like to read the technical aspects of climbing. This book didn't offer much new as far as interesting facts about the seven summits. I liked it though and would recommend it.
Alyson
There was a page or two toward the beginning where he talks about getting involved with a girl that they should have left out. I would cross out those few paragraphs for a younger reader but everything else was good.
Shelley
I found Phil Ershler's voice to be arrogant and obnoxious, but I quite enjoyed their story. I liked that the telling switched back and forth between husband and wife. They have accomplished some amazing things.
Donald
This was an amazing book about a couple that truly knows how to take care of one another. The story is amazing, the people are amazing and I read this with an amazing woman.... Must read...
Mohkev
I loved this book. While it is filled with climbing tales and inspiration, it is also very much a love story that is not an unwelcome addition to the party. I highly recommend it.
Yoli
Since Dan likes to hike highpoints, I bought this one for him! We both loved it! It really is a love story through sickness and health!!
I'm fascinated by people who climb mountains. This was an OK book - I did like hearing the story from the viewpoint of the husband and the wife.
Nicole
Fantastic and inspiring story. Must read for all. Now on to planning my hike to Mount Elbrus and hope I meet my Phil along the way.
Kenny Seneff
Absolute page-turner. Read this book with your spouse, it will make you both laugh, cry, and make you appreciate each other more.
Andy
This was a fun book to read. There were good adventure/climbing stories as well as the fun dating story of the Ershlers.
David Garza
Very inspiring and captivating. This is one of the few books that I just couldn't put down. An awesome story of true overcomers.
Amalia
I love this book! The style is very engaging and refreshing. Hearing the two perspectives on the same story brings it to life!
Eric
Great book, adventure, romance, a little bit for everyone. It goes back and forth from both point of views.
Cathy Ankenman
I loved this true story of dream, struggle, victory. Great read!
Rick
Great inspirational story! wow!
This was a great inspirational way to get you moving book. It really makes you know that anything you put your mind to is possible if you want it bad enough. I loved this book.
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Crissy
Crissy is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2015
Rachel Peters
Rachel Peters marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015