Start by marking “Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No” as Want to Read:
Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No

Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  344 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
The teen years--relationships, peer pressure, school, dating, character. To help teenagers grow into healthy adults, parents and youth workers need to teach them how to take responsibility for their behavior, their values, and their lives. The coauthor of the Gold Medallion Award-winning book Boundaries and the father of two teenage boys brings his biblically based princip ...more
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published February 1st 2006 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published January 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Boundaries with Teens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boundaries with Teens

Shawna Ridgley
I really love the Boundaries books. If you find yourself struggling in relationships, they are full of practical advice. This one on teens is no different. They give some really practical steps in making sure you are setting a good foundation for your teen's adult life. I highly recommend this book for parents of teens, especially if you are struggling with behavior shifts that are catching you off guard. It will make you feel less alone and help you gain insight into what is going on physically ...more
Emily
Apr 30, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: selfies
I decided to read this book because I wanted to understand my teenage experience better and prepare for when I have teenagers of my own to raise. It's never to early to start preparing right? Anyways, I have read Dr. Townsend's other book entitled "Boundaries" which I love! And other variations/spin offs. I believe that Dr. Townsend and Dr. Cloud (co-author of Boundaries) have a love of truth and understanding. However this book didn't have as big of an impact for me. This may have been due to a ...more
Heather
May 08, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very accurate descriptions of what we are experiencing with our 17 year old, who seems to have flipped a switch overnight and feels that we are too controlling. Sigh. Practical advice and scripts of how to set boundaries with ornery teens. Well worth a read.
Stephanie Haynes
Nov 24, 2015 Stephanie Haynes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Thbook has been very helpful to this mama of a 13 year old and an 18 year old. I love the short chapters and the practical strategies to use immediately. We have seen a lot of improvement in our relationship with our kids as a result.
Yarel Marshall
Oct 27, 2015 Yarel Marshall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful and realistic. Helped reassure me that I am already doing things that is suggested and gave me further guidance to improve. This is helpful for me as a parent and a high school teacher.
Michael Johnson
Jan 19, 2015 Michael Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our Parenting Bible completed this book and found it very helpful. Our only major concern was that as we dug in to it, we began to see a lot of the information as repetitive. Towards the end of the book, we decided to choose a few of the special circumstances instead of doing them all. The group had difficulty doing this because we were all dealing with very different issues with our children. This book, more than any other has forced us to really think about how we go about our parenting.

Immedi
Molly
Sep 12, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a unique look at boundaries and how they relate to raising teens. I appreciated the insight I gained from reading this.
Stephanie
Not as impactful as the first boundaries book I read, but then again, I don't have teen agers.
Bonnie Krueger
I liked it but felt it a little redundant. It confirmed all the things I'm doing right and warning signs to look out for as my children get older.
Andrea
Jul 14, 2010 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a teacher in the public schools, I see more and more how parents are fearful of being parents to their young, emerging teens. This book is most helpful.. you can select the topic of the chapter that is urgent at a specific time and receive wise counsel on handling those challenging situations with your teens. Whether it's driving, money, homework or a variety of other topics, they are discussed with kindness and practical suggestions on how and why to set boundaries. A word to parents of teen ...more
Diego A.
Dec 12, 2015 Diego A. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
creo que llego en un mal momento
Dawn Roberts
Feb 12, 2014 Dawn Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, as are all the books in the Boundaries series. Highly recommend any and all of them.
Sydney
Jan 13, 2014 Sydney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this had a lot of really helpful advice, and I liked that different topics were broken up by chapter at the end. But as with many Cloud and Townsend books, it got repetitive.
Cindi P.
Practical tool for building your family relationship and setting boundaries for teens. I was looking for something different. I was hoping this was how to teach teens to set boundaries. I went ahead and finished the book, even though it speaks mainly to parents of teens. I am not a parent of teens. That is probably why it took me so long to finish it. Helpful resource to understanding teens and our role in their lives.
Alicia
Oct 30, 2011 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very helpful parenting book! If I'd read this 4 years ago, I would have set it aside and said it was just common sense that any parent knows. But now that my twins are nearly 17 and want complete freedom, this book was perfect for our situation. It helps answer the question, "Where should I loosen the reigns and in what areas should I stand firm?"
Sandy V
Nov 03, 2011 Sandy V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Loved it -"Your teen needs your help to become a person whose word means something for then he will be happier & his relationships will be healthier as well" "Provide your child/teen with as many experiences involving love, grace, safety, stucture & correction as you can. The involved parent can truly make a positive difference."
Susan
Great advice for public school parents of teens with a supportive, dedicated church, good schools with dedicated teachers, caring counselors, and - at least- a middle class income. For all those who don't have that framework...well, there are a still a few decent tips worth digging out.
Danielle
Jan 23, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-version
Very helpful in helping parents draw clear boundaries, not only for a kid's behavior but for a parent's responsibility. Responsibility to the child, yes, but also in recognizing how to draw lines of what one should NOT do for their teenager.
Kathryn
Sep 02, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall good book, great to read and reread for perspective. I just walked away from it overwhelmed. There is so much I want to do to keep a strong relationship with my teen now and my other boys when they get to be teens.
Dani
Dec 14, 2010 Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize that the book had a lot of biblical scripture. It was a nice surprise! :) Either way, I feel that even taking out the biblical references, this book is applicable to all parents.
Amy Noel-schouten
Would have been better to have finished it when it still applied. My son is 20 and we are into a whole new set of issues. Better move on to boundaries.
Heather
Jan 13, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
It was ok, but the advice was pretty wishy washy. It is a good supplement to other parenting books, but alone I didn't think it would work for me.
Camy
Jan 20, 2012 Camy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bu gune kadar okudugum en yararli kisisel gelisim kitaplarindan biri..Sinirlari o kadar guzel anlatmis ki kendinizi daha iyi hissediyorsunuz..
Niki Van mechelen
Sep 09, 2013 Niki Van mechelen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although he makes a point every now and then, it is way too conservative. Also too much god and bible references. I wasn't looking for that.
Alison
Oct 22, 2009 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was extremely helpful in understanding the teenager stage and how to survive it.
Marissa Joyce
Jul 13, 2010 Marissa Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
easily the best parenting book I have ever read... and I went to counseling school- so I read a LOT!
Stephanie Broyhill
Awesome book for parents. I used this book in foster parent training. Great read for every parent.
Cindy
Great book for how to have a good relationship with your teen and still train them.
Ldugan136057
Aug 06, 2011 Ldugan136057 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so far very helpful at identifyfing normal teenage behavior instead of anxiety driven behaviors
Kathy
Mar 22, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a therapist and this is my very favorite parenting book. I recommend it all the time.
  • How to Really Love Your Teenager
  • Parenting Teens with Love and Logic: Preparing Adolescents for Resposible Adulthood
  • Making Small Groups Work: What Every Small Group Leader Needs to Know
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy
  • Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World
  • Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying
  • The Five Love Languages of Teenagers
  • Connecting
  • Why You Act the Way You Do
  • The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men
  • Every Woman's Marriage: Igniting the Joy and Passion You Both Desire
  • The Courage to Be Yourself: A Woman's Guide to Emotional Strength and Self-Esteem / Sue Patton Thoele
  • Life's Healing Choices: Freedom from Your Hurts, Hang-ups, and Habits
  • How to Interpret Literature: Critical Theory for Literary and Cultural Studies
  • Love Talk: Speak Each Other's Language Like You Never Have Before
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality

“your teen needs a process of time in which to let go of parental dependence and move into adult independence. This cannot be done instantly.” 0 likes
“Teens are impulsive, self-centered, and irrational. They have outbursts of anger and disrespect, then in a few minutes, they swing back to love and compliance.” 0 likes