Start by marking “Three Little Kittens” as Want to Read:
Three Little Kittens

Three Little Kittens (Folk Tale Classics Series)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  555 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Three little kittens, they lost their mittens, and they began to cry. The three little kittens may be a bit careless, but they always manage to correct their mistakes in this favorite Mother Goose rhyme.
Published March 21st 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Three Little Kittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Little Kittens

Allyson
Mar 18, 2009 Allyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was not only a cornerstone of my childhood, but a lingering influence on my adult life. It taught me to have respect for my personal belongings, the joys and perils of siblinghood, and the symbolic meaning behind a good pair of mittens.
Errin Tucker
This is a folklore and a picture book written for children N-P.

This is a story about three kittens who do different things that make their mom both happy and sad. Throughout the story they work to make sure they keep their mom happy.

This book would appeal to children that are young and not to those past the preschool or kindergarten age. This is good book for young children because it is brief enough where children are able to repeat the story easily and make it more enjoyable for them. The pict
Krista
This is a classic Mother Goose rhyme set in a book. Though it is not apparent, this is definitely the same traditional story from Mother Goose. The illustrations are decent and the words beautiful and easy for young children to repeat. I see definite application for developing phonemic awareness in young K students by reading this aloud. Basically the story is about 3 kittens trying to help their mother because they lost their mittens. They go outside, find the mittens, and then come inside for ...more
Alexis Jennings (ASU)
In this children’s book, a family of kittens struggles to keep their mittens on their hands and clean. The kittens are constantly trying to be "Good Kittens" and please their mama. After losing their mittens, the kittens find them. Mama Cat rewards them with some pie. After the kittens spill pie of their mittens, the kittens wash them.

This picture book is and animal book where the main characters (who are cats) talk and behave like humans. This genre inspires young readers to grab that particul
Vivian
Nov 19, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Both of our story time performers had a copy to hold up as they recited the story in unison. Children ages 1 - 6 gave their rapt attention. This familiar rhyme may not be so familiar to these millennial kids. So glad to have the opportunity to introduce it to them! The children were invited to say "meow's" and "purrrs" with the performers.
Sylvester
5* art (love Paul Galdone)
4* nursery rhyme

(I especially like the part about smelling a rat - yeah the kittens wear mittens, but they're ALL cat!)
Kyrie Mendonca
Jun 22, 2015 Kyrie Mendonca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and Early Childhood Educators
Three Little Kittens is a wonderful story that children love! This story has many repetitive phrases that rhyme! Children love stories that rhyme and that is easy for them to retell. In the story the kittens resolve their own dilemma. For example, they wash their mittens after the mittens become soiled and they find their mittens on their own. This story helps parents and teachers teach children conflict resolution and self-help skills. This story also helps increase a child's vocabulary!
Brooke
Mar 10, 2013 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my mother's favorite tale as a child, so I can't believe that I did not read it until I was well into adulthood. The illustrations are simply delightful!!! This would be a great choice for an early ready because the story can really be read in the pictures. It was a lot of fun to do read the book aloud because of the voice fluctuations from the kittens (and the varying emotions) and the mother (as well as her pride or disappointment). The story has a good message: when you make a mistak ...more
Mary Hohman
Oct 18, 2012 Mary Hohman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Three Little Kittens” is an picture book about a folktale written and illustrated by Paul Galdone. The intended ages of this book are N birth through five years of age. This classic nursery rhyme turned into a story, about little kittens who make their mother sad when then lost their mittens but happy when they find their mittens. The ending is the mother sells a rat that was in and out of the pictures throughout the story. I rated this book a four because the ending is off from the rest of ...more
Alice
Dec 03, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-25-stars
SO, I think this story was read to me as a child because I almost knew what came next! I know Kittens Rhymes with Mittens...but I will just say it...why do Kittens have mittens?...they are kittens! (We know animals is books sometimes represents people and in this case...children...who always lose their mittens)

Had a vintage feels! Made me smile after a weird day! Where are my mittens..oh WHAT! I wear gloves. Mittens serve no purpose for finger dexterity!
Michelle Daut
I chose to read Three Little Kittens because my mom said she used to read it to me as a kid. I don't think I have ever read this book. The book is cute for little kids and sends a good message to them about knowing where their things are and to take care of their stuff. The pictures are cute and the onomoniopias would be very fun to read to kids or have them read aloud. The one thing I did not like about this book is that it just kind of ends. The kittens smell a rat and it just ends... I would ...more
Joy
Feb 03, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought the Kindle edition of this book because my six year old (who has Autism) is quite fond of this nursery rhyme and it would make the book available to her on her kids Kindle.

This is a great version of the nursery rhyme. I grew up with it in my Richard Scarry's Best Mither Goose Ever book and this book is almost identical to that version. The art is great. She is quite happy with it.
Amanda Zeanah
Jun 20, 2015 Amanda Zeanah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: peer, behavior, winter
I fell like when children listen or read this book they are going to be able to relate the the kittens in this story as of in the way that the kittens felt when they did something careless. The book as a clever message embedded into it that most children are able to relate to. The pictures are detailed and very bold looking.
Samantha Matiz
This is a great book for children in preschool. Children love this book and love all the things the kittens go through to make their mom happy and proud. This story has many repetitive phrases that rhyme and that are easy for children to remember. This book is also a good book to introduce children to problem solving. In the story the kittens are able to solve their own problems with out the help of their mom or anyone else.
QuaNiyah Cooke
This book is an easy to read book for young children as it has a catchy repetitive phrase the children can repeat . It also features a few problem solving questions that can lead to an amazing discussion with young children.
Kenyada
The rhyme itself was very good, but the story wasn't detailed enough. It doesn't say how the kittens lost their mittens. Children would enjoy some laughter and be very interested in the kittens, especially the mama kitten.
Priscilla
This book is good to read to young children because it doesn't have a lot of words and they will be able to repeat the story easily. I like how the books illustrated. This book will also set a good example for responsibility.
Abby Ratliff
I have always loved this story. I found this book while I was hunting in the library and knew I just had to grab it. Sure everyone has heard it, but it's too great of a tale to not retell.

Genre: traditional literature
Garrett Ellis
This book would help set up a unit on responsibility! It could help students understand how important it is for them not to lose their possessions.
Rachel Berry
Jun 22, 2015 Rachel Berry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhyming, peer-review
I gave this book five stars. I enjoyed this book because of the kittens and how they are always getting into mischief and making mistakes.
Michaelle Pretlow
Jun 18, 2015 Michaelle Pretlow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhymes
This book show neat details as a kitten with catnip in every form. chopped, mixed, and blended The cats expressions are priceless.
Lillian Heeney
Dec 21, 2014 Lillian Heeney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three Little PIE Faces

In years gone by, a favorite story to tell my children. Now I am ready to introduce my great grand children to this delightful tale.

Vera Dimnwaobi
This book is a classic and a great read! Can be used to teach children sequencing of event and numbers.
Mar 20, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The pictures in this book are wonderfully adorable! A great book to read to children!
Shanna Gonzalez
Nov 21, 2011 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-00-04
Paul Galdone's straightforward, old-fashioned interpretation of many classic fairy tales made a prolific career for him before modern printing technology transformed the world of picture books. In this faithful rendition of the classic nursery rhyme, the three little kittens play out their mitten drama, alternately scolded and praised by their mother, while a cheerful rat plays hide-and-seek in the background. Galdone's cheery images and the classic repetitive text make this a great standby for ...more
Nancy
Mar 29, 2016 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not the ending I remember but it was one of my childhood favorites.
Ashley Stringham
Oct 28, 2014 Ashley Stringham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic nursery rhyme paired with beautiful illustrations.
David Kilgore
Nov 29, 2015 David Kilgore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folk
A fun rhyming book perfect for circle time.
Robin Raines-Bond
Cute version of the original rhyme.
Asho
I used to really like this story when I was a kid. I remember my mom reading us the Little Golden Book version. As an adult, it's kind of strange. It's not a story so much as a short nursery rhyme about kittens losing mittens, then finding them, then getting them dirty while eating pie, then deciding to (presumably) catch a rat. It has simple rhymes and cat sounds, which is probably why it appealed to me when I was little. This version has nice colorful illustrations, although there is nothing p ...more
  • To Market, To Market
  • Little White Duck
  • Angus Lost
  • Old Mother Hubbard
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • In the Rain with Baby Duck
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • I'm a Little Teapot
  • Baby Beluga
  • Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another
Paul Galdone (1907 - November 7, 1986) was a children's literature author and illustrator. He was born in Budapest and he emigrated to the United States in 1921. He studied art at the Art Student's League and New York School for Industrial Design. He served for the US Army during world War II.

He illustrated nearly all of Eve Titus' books including, Basil of Baker Street series which was translated
More about Paul Galdone...

Folk Tale Classics Series (7 books)
  • Little Red Riding Hood