Start by marking “Three Little Kittens” as Want to Read:
Three Little Kittens

Three Little Kittens (Folk Tale Classics Series)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Three little kittens, they lost their mittens, and they began to cry. The three little kittens may be a bit careless, but they always manage to correct their mistakes in this favorite Mother Goose rhyme.
Published March 21st 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Three Little Kittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Little Kittens

Allyson
This book was not only a cornerstone of my childhood, but a lingering influence on my adult life. It taught me to have respect for my personal belongings, the joys and perils of siblinghood, and the symbolic meaning behind a good pair of mittens.
Errin Tucker
This is a folklore and a picture book written for children N-P.

This is a story about three kittens who do different things that make their mom both happy and sad. Throughout the story they work to make sure they keep their mom happy.

This book would appeal to children that are young and not to those past the preschool or kindergarten age. This is good book for young children because it is brief enough where children are able to repeat the story easily and make it more enjoyable for them. The pict
Krista
This is a classic Mother Goose rhyme set in a book. Though it is not apparent, this is definitely the same traditional story from Mother Goose. The illustrations are decent and the words beautiful and easy for young children to repeat. I see definite application for developing phonemic awareness in young K students by reading this aloud. Basically the story is about 3 kittens trying to help their mother because they lost their mittens. They go outside, find the mittens, and then come inside for ...more
Alexis Jennings (ASU)
In this children’s book, a family of kittens struggles to keep their mittens on their hands and clean. The kittens are constantly trying to be "Good Kittens" and please their mama. After losing their mittens, the kittens find them. Mama Cat rewards them with some pie. After the kittens spill pie of their mittens, the kittens wash them.

This picture book is and animal book where the main characters (who are cats) talk and behave like humans. This genre inspires young readers to grab that particul
Sylvester
5* art (love Paul Galdone)
4* nursery rhyme

(I especially like the part about smelling a rat - yeah the kittens wear mittens, but they're ALL cat!)
Brooke
This was my mother's favorite tale as a child, so I can't believe that I did not read it until I was well into adulthood. The illustrations are simply delightful!!! This would be a great choice for an early ready because the story can really be read in the pictures. It was a lot of fun to do read the book aloud because of the voice fluctuations from the kittens (and the varying emotions) and the mother (as well as her pride or disappointment). The story has a good message: when you make a mistak ...more
Mary Hohman
“The Three Little Kittens” is an picture book about a folktale written and illustrated by Paul Galdone. The intended ages of this book are N birth through five years of age. This classic nursery rhyme turned into a story, about little kittens who make their mother sad when then lost their mittens but happy when they find their mittens. The ending is the mother sells a rat that was in and out of the pictures throughout the story. I rated this book a four because the ending is off from the rest of ...more
Michelle Daut
I chose to read Three Little Kittens because my mom said she used to read it to me as a kid. I don't think I have ever read this book. The book is cute for little kids and sends a good message to them about knowing where their things are and to take care of their stuff. The pictures are cute and the onomoniopias would be very fun to read to kids or have them read aloud. The one thing I did not like about this book is that it just kind of ends. The kittens smell a rat and it just ends... I would ...more
Abby Ratliff
I have always loved this story. I found this book while I was hunting in the library and knew I just had to grab it. Sure everyone has heard it, but it's too great of a tale to not retell.

Genre: traditional literature
Garrett Ellis
This book would help set up a unit on responsibility! It could help students understand how important it is for them not to lose their possessions.
Lillian Heeney
Three Little PIE Faces

In years gone by, a favorite story to tell my children. Now I am ready to introduce my great grand children to this delightful tale.

The pictures in this book are wonderfully adorable! A great book to read to children!
Shanna Gonzalez
Paul Galdone's straightforward, old-fashioned interpretation of many classic fairy tales made a prolific career for him before modern printing technology transformed the world of picture books. In this faithful rendition of the classic nursery rhyme, the three little kittens play out their mitten drama, alternately scolded and praised by their mother, while a cheerful rat plays hide-and-seek in the background. Galdone's cheery images and the classic repetitive text make this a great standby for ...more
Ashley Stringham
Classic nursery rhyme paired with beautiful illustrations.
Asho
I used to really like this story when I was a kid. I remember my mom reading us the Little Golden Book version. As an adult, it's kind of strange. It's not a story so much as a short nursery rhyme about kittens losing mittens, then finding them, then getting them dirty while eating pie, then deciding to (presumably) catch a rat. It has simple rhymes and cat sounds, which is probably why it appealed to me when I was little. This version has nice colorful illustrations, although there is nothing p ...more
Mikailah Shackleford
This book used to be one of my favorites as a kid. It is a animal fiction childrens book and is a mother goose rhyme! I read this to my little brother and sister and they really enjoyed it. It had very good illistrations and pictures that showed what was going on in the story. The little kittens lose their mittens, but there is a moral in the story. The moral in this childrens book is you can always fix your mistakes. I would recommend this book to many children.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Galdone shares the classical singing story of three kittens who are troubled by their mittens. It's mixture of happy and sad events that come throughout the day. It's a wonderful story with a large font and full page illustrations.

Theme: Washing
Additional themes: kittens/cats, mittens, pie

Reviewed from a library copy.
Krista Mcdowell
This was a darling book about kittens! I would say the lesson of this story is take care of your personal belongings and you will get rewarded. Their mommy always recognized when they did the right thing. I would tell children, adults, people of all ages - to read this book. It was amazing! Real rating is 5+.
Crystal
Oct 02, 2007 Crystal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of children, anyone looking for a cute, whimsical 1 minute read
This book is so cute! who couldn't love the three little kittens who lost their mittens, and how they solve their mitten-related problems. also gotta love the mom cat, who understands tough love. This is a classic kids book. I should have no problem reading it to my kids, since I've already memorized it!
Brittany Houston
"Three Little Kittens" is a classic book that I remember reading as a child. This book provides repetitive text and a nursery rhyme sequence. Students can easily retell the story and teachers can use dialogic reading to enhance student's understanding of each of the kitten's consequences.
Hafidha
This book was slightly bizarre in that "why are you rather creepy altho you're intended for children?" kind of way. I liked the illustrations a lot. There is something a bit deranged about this story. These three kittens are some moody little boogers, and their mom is no better!
Amy Burch
The book had a creepy ending but other than that it teaches a good lesson on taking care of you belongings and keeping track of them. The three kittens loose their mittens and then have to find them again before they can have pie.
Melanie Martel
This book is one of my all time favorites. In the class, you could read the book and also have them sing. You could use this to infer what will happen next. The kids love the illustrations and words are simple enough to learn for song.
Mallory Hall
I would be so hard on it if I didn't own Three Little Kittens. That version of the nursery rhyme is just so much better.
Yates Marie
THis book is about cats and their mittens. It is a common fairy tell. Some of the pages rhyme in the book. This would be good for beginning readers becasue the words are large and often are repeated.
Tricia
fan of all the galdone versions of fairy tales. bright pictures. easy text. would be good read aloud for little ones due to the mother goose-ish aspect of the title.
Dustie
pb9: Loved this story as a child, and still love it to this day!! These adorable kittens are easily related to and children can learn so much from them while enjoying the story.
Edna
Different rendition of Three Little Kittens with striking pen and ink illustrations and large print text which ironically make the book a bit grotesque.
Alanna
This version is not as good as the little golden book version, which is the one I grew up with, but I still love it - and so does my daughter.
  • To Market, To Market
  • Hello, Day!
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Hickory Dickory Dock
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • I Like It When . . .
  • Aaaarrgghh! Spider!
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Santa Duck
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • The Baby Goes Beep
Paul Galdone (1907 - November 7, 1986) was a children's literature author and illustrator. He was born in Budapest and he emigrated to the United States in 1921. He studied art at the Art Student's League and New York School for Industrial Design. He served for the US Army during world War II.

He illustrated nearly all of Eve Titus' books including, Basil of Baker Street series which was translated
More about Paul Galdone...

Folk Tale Classics Series (8 books)
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • The Gingerbread Boy
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
  • The Three Little Pigs Book & CD
  • The Three Bears
The Little Red Hen Big Book The Gingerbread Boy Henny Penny The Teeny-Tiny Woman Little Red Riding Hood