The Harry Potter Collection (Harry Potter, #1-4)

The Harry Potter Collection (Harry Potter, #1-4)

4.64 of 5 stars 4.64  ·  rating details  ·  18,971 ratings  ·  183 reviews
The exciting tales of Harry Potter, the young wizard-in-training, have taken the world by storm, and fans just can't get enough of the magical world of Hogwarts and beyond. If you buy one of the Harry Potter books, we guarantee you'll want the next...and the next...and the next -- so why not have them all, right at your fingertips? With the Harry Potter Hardcover Box Set (...more
Published November 1st 1999 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published January 1st 1999)

Godless by Ann CoulterMiles to Go by Miley CyrusHow to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) by Ann CoulterIf Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans by Ann CoulterSlander by Ann Coulter
Books I Have No Intention of Reading
195th out of 1,154 books — 5,853 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee1984 by George OrwellThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Harry Potter Collection by J.K. Rowling
50 books to read before you die
5th out of 174 books — 170 voters

More lists with this book...

Leah
This was not a series of books for me. This was (and although I rarely admit it, is) my life. I read the series every year - always aiming to finish it on July 31st: Harry's birthday. I used to (and still would if I could) pretend to be Harry, or Hermione in reception! I told all my friends to read them (just as my sister had when she was younger and the first books had only just come out) - always persisting that these books were nothing short of revolutionary (considering I was in primary scho...more
Amanda
I don't care to admit how many times I've read this series, because it's a little indecent. Let's just say I'm a fan, okay? Having grown up reading C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia and Tolkien's The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy, I was primed for another installment of a young, unlikely hero marked by fate to battle the forces of evil, getting by with a little help from his friends. Unlike some Tolkien/Lewis buffs, I am not offended by Rowling's similarities to their works, because archet...more
Carol
My nephews and nieces gave me this set, and I've so much enjoyed reading them. This family got me hooked onto Harry. I'd be at their House, and they'd have Harry games, Harry this and Harry that. I could tell I better get caught up quick, so I read the first four books quite quickly, then I felt I was caught up with my family. As the movies started coming out, I'd read all the book up to and including the movie book each time, so I've read or listened to them all at least 3 or more times each, u...more
Maria
This series is an integral part of my childhood. It taught me to dream, imagine, create- and all other things that are essential to life. I remember my grade school and how I and my classmates would imagine that we are in Hogwarts. It was that good. It inspired young children and even adults to believe and imagine. All great things come to an end but the epic that is Harry Potter will continue to live on. Someday when I'll have a family of my own, I'll encourage my children to read Harry Potter....more
Annisa Hartoto
I still remembered that day, years ago, when I stumbled upon the first book. I thought, why on earth that a book about young wizard sitting on the popular bookshelves. I took one home out of curiosity and from then on, I am enchanted.

I also still remembered the scent of the last book of the series, so bittersweet, because after that turn of the last page, there will be no more stories about friendship, love, sacrifice and moreover, courage.
Of all these books, the first was my favorite. The series gets very dark--extremely thought provoking which I absolutely loved. And yet, nothing is like the whimsy and falling in love-ness I associate with the introduction we get to Hogwarts, Harry, Hermione and Ron. Thoroughly delightful--all of my children have also enjoyed these well-written imaginative stories.
Yang
My favorite books ever!!! I'm crazy about HP, reading every detail to detail. Each summer or winter break, I cannot help myself, and I must read through the whole series once.
Natalie
I started out reading these to my daughter and I was hooked! Love them! Truly magical in every way.
Lynn Palin lutz
Will read again
Nico
This was a very good book. After the first time reading the first book, I doubted Rowling could do any better. How wrong I was. This book is just as good as the first, filled with humor, action, and friendship. I now know why it has been such a good series. This book is about Harry Potter, who is attending his second year at Hogwarts. He faces many challenges there and at his Uncle's house. He also receives a warning from a mysterious creature that he is in danger-and Lord Voldemort will return.
Khairul H.
Hey, I read Harry Potter before he was famous. I don't know why I said that...just being annoyingly pretentious I guess. I'm weird like that.

Anyway, it was a warm summer's day in 2000 when I picked up this boxset of the first four books of the HP series. Even though I wasn't the target audience for these books I nevertheless found it good enough to invest the time to read them all.

Now that the series has ended I can ask myself what was so great about the Potter books? They certainly aren't the...more
Duygu Demiray
Harry potter and his fantastic life are very special for me.whenever I see Harry Potter , I'm so excited.After these books took place in my life, I started to compare people in my real life with characters in Harry Potter.For example,my math professor is very similar to Albus Dumbledore:))
Ninfa
Jan 22, 2014 Ninfa added it
They were amazing books absolutely loved them. The mystery was great, it was at times very difficult to have predicted who was really behind all of the action and the bad things although their was always going to be Voldemort but other than that within its a lot harder. Love the characters and I wish there were more than just 7 books should have just done 10.
Anthony Alessi
Harry Potter is, at this point, an Iconic kids book. I am still up in the air at this point wether to book is good enough for 'everyone' to read wether you like fantasy or not, so I am going to give it 4 stars, but it is close. Rowlings captures the wonder of magic, and being thrown into the center of that world at a young age as she wisks the reader along for the journey that harry takes from starting school to leaving school. The thing I found most interesting was that with each book, the stor...more
Joanleris
I need to own this series!! I can't afford to buy them!! I have other books I can trade! If your interested send me a email at joanleris83@gmail.com please!! I'm desperate.
Geoff Glover
The Harry Potter series' popularity has always intrigued me. I thought that Rowling creates a fantastic universe, fully fleshed out and in a certain way, down to earth. However, I found that her writing style was actually extremely off putting, sometimes being too simplistic. I suppose that that caters to her audience however.
Rebecca Mullins
The Harry Potter Collection is good for children reading on an advanced level (4th or 5th grade). The books start out innocently enough, and get darker and darker as Harry gets older. So, you should expect the child to read one book a year based on J.K. Rowling's sequencing. It's about a boy whose parents were killed and he was left behind to live with his aunt and uncle. Harry discovers that he has powers and ends up going to a magic school. Throughout his life he tries to find out how to kill...more
Imani
I'm reading the first book right now. And I love it! I'm going to start and possibly finish the whole series this summer. I love J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books because they give excitement to her readers and I'm pretty sure at the end they leave the readers thinking what happens next. Even though I'm not at the end yet I'm pretty sure that it WILL leave me thinking what happens next so I can read the other 6 books. I can't wait to read the next book Harry Potter and the chamber os Secrets bec...more
Mark
Mar 11, 2014 Mark added it
This is the best series I have ever read!!!!
Jenni Mann
Love this series more than words can ever say.
Amber Burton
A classic. Of course I enjoyed it
Renata Audrey
I'm pretty sure that I will buy this collection for my children in the future. I had such a wonderful time in my youth reading Harry Potter. I can remember that I got anxious waiting for each new book release arrive on the bookstores' shelves. My sister and I read all the book colection borrowed from my cousin and of course my cousin read the new book release before us and we rushed her reading time. And after everybody read, we discussed our points of views. I miss these times...
Alisa Lambertsen
I grew up reading the Harry Potter books. I started reading them when I was in 5th grade. I love the way that J.K. Rowling did not keep the same reading level for all the books. As the characters in the book aged, the reading level got higher. When I started reading, the books were easy and they got harder as they got closer to the end. The ending frustrated me at first but after I read more, I was accepted how it ended, and decided that I could not imagine another ending.
Rachel Muir
I grew up with Harry Potter and although I think there are many faults with the series (namely that Rowling needed a better editor in books 4-7 - genuinely, who wants to read like 10 chapters of a tent moving around?) I absolutely love it.

I will also secretly admit to reading fan fiction and seeing how others perceive and utilise the universe/concepts/characters. So much so that I no longer know if the facts and opinions I have of the series come from canon or fanon.
Kari
I love the fact that in Britain, the HP books are published with an "adult cover" option, so they're not as embarrassing for adults to read in public. Doesn't everyone recognize them as HP books now?

I also enjoyed reading them in the original English, rather than the American translation: the differences are small, but evocative. I may someday complete this collection with the remaining three books in English, and shed all my American versions.
Jessica Vogt
I never thought that the Harry Potter books would be very interesting and a fun read. My family borrowed the books on CD at the library and we listened to them during our road trip. The time went by quickly that way. Right now I am reading the 6th book of the series and am loving it. I would totally read these books over and over again. I would recommend them to anyone. Even if wizards aren't your thing, you will enjoy these books.
Kristine
Wondering what all the fuss was about, I checked the first one out from the library.
Having finished it by morning, I checked out 2, 3 & 4 (5 had not yet come out). I finished those over a weekend.
Knowing I was going to re-read them until they were in tatters, and not wanting to share, I went out and bought the boxed set just before OotP came out. Which I purchased and read the night it was released. But that's another review. :)
Rose Dawson
První čtyři pohádkové roky v Bradavicích.Harry si najde své nejlepší kamarády Hermionu a Rona se,kterými zažije nejednou dobrodružství.Také ředitele Bradavic,naše milované i nemilované učitele.A nastane i několik chvil,kdy se setká s tím-jehož-jméno-nesmíme-vyslovit Lordem Voldemortem.První čtyři roky v Bradavicích byly kouzelné,pohádkové a nevinné.Na ty úchvatné časy s mým milovaným Harrym jentak nezapomenu.
Shauli Chaudhuri
There's nothing that can be said about the Harry Potter phenomenon that hasn't been said already. Its a must read for kids and adults. I am as addicted as my child -- to the extent that we made a trip to Florida just to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando. I am looking forward to reading J.K. Rowling's first novel for adults, "The Casual Vacancy."
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Sheet Music for Flute with C.D
  • Eragon & Eldest (Inheritance, #1-2)
  • Artemis Fowl Boxed Set, Bks 1-5 (Artemis Fowl, #1-5)
  • The Ranger's Apprentice Collection Books 1-3 Box Set (The Ruins of Gorlan, The Burning Bridge, The Icebound Land)
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1-3)
  • The Inkheart Trilogy: Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath (Inkworld, #1-3)
  • The Travelers: Book Two (Pendragon: Before the War)
  • Maximum Ride Five-Book Set
  • Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book: Based on the Film Phenomenon
  • The Time Quartet Box Set (Time Quartet, #1-4)
  • Septimus Heap Box Set: Magyk and Flyte (Septimus Heap, #1-2)
  • The Travelers (Pendragon: Before the War, #1)
  • Fablehaven; Rise of the Evening Star; Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #1-3)
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events Pack (Books 1-4) (Series of Unfortunate Events, Books 1-4)
  • The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set (Abhorsen, #1-3)
  • The Song of the Lioness Quartet (Song of the Lioness, #1-4)
  • The Twilight Saga Complete Collection (Twilight, #1-4, Bree Tanner)
  • The Silver Chair and The Last Battle
Although she writes under the pen name J.K. Rowling, pronounced like rolling,her name when her first Harry Potter book was published was simply Joanne Rowling. Anticipating that the target audience of young boys might not want to read a book written by a woman, her publishers demanded that she use two initials, rather than her full name. As she had no middle name, she chose K as the second initial...more
More about J.K. Rowling...
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)