Start by marking “Transmetropolitan: Spider's Thrash (Transmetropolitan)” as Want to Read:
Transmetropolitan: Spider's Thrash (Transmetropolitan)

Transmetropolitan: Spider's Thrash (Transmetropolitan #7)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  7,618 ratings  ·  57 reviews
The hammer has come down on him, but outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem has managed to stay one step ahead of his detractors — i.e., the President of the United States and his authoritarian lackeys in publishing and law enforcement. After losing his byline, bank account, and apartment, Jerusalem and his filthy assistants have legged it underground, the better to implement ...more
Paperback
Published October 15th 2010 by Titan Books (UK) (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Transmetropolitan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transmetropolitan

J.M. Hushour
"Something's not right. I can feel it in my left testicle." So speaketh rogue journalist and truth-terrorist Spider Jerusalem. Banished from the mainstream media for his lacerating attacks on the President, Spider goes full-on underground to take down the White House. This volume breaks down into three interconnected story arcs: Spider's investigation of child prostitution, the mishandling of the treatment of the mentally ill and the general hell that the City has fallen into. These all tie toge ...more
Michelle Lynne Widmann
As a writer, I really love reading about Spider, the journalist. It's really refreshing to see this character who needs to get the truth out and is willing to stake his life on it, rather than simply giving his publisher the content they want. Spider goes indie in this volume and his assistants battle with their own personal moral issues with what he is doing as they try to accompany him. I also really liked the fact that this graphic novel series, like Spider, is trying to be honest about what ...more
Dan
For those who don't know this series it's basically Hunter S Thompson in the future. Spider Jerusalem is a ranting hack who will stop at nothing to get a story and bring down those he hates - which is everybody. Writer Warren Ellis is a literary god in my book...albeit a god with a sick mind.
Oh, the drama surfaces. I am beginning to feel this series should be required reading in sociology classes. Except I'm not sure I'd expose college students to this level of profanity and violence... oh who am I kidding.

Spider, Spider, how do I love thee. Don't be a martyr to the Smiler!
HeavyReader
This story gets more and more complicated, weirder and weirder, better and better.

This installment is especially full of cutting commentary about current fucked up aspects of contemporary society, thinly disguised as commentary on a distant future distopia.
Will Boncher
This series just keeps getting better and better.
Sam Quixote
President Callahan's psychotic hounding of Spider Jerusalem continues with the murders of all witnesses who witnessed Callahan's misdemeanours while on the campaign trail. Except this time the murderers stop by to pay Spider a visit too. Spider also finds out there's something wrong with him, and it's not any of the things his filthy assistants would attest to. Confronting his mortality, he sets out anew, posting his "I Hate It Here" columns via rogue site "The Hole".

There's also a serious strip
Sam Quixote

There's also a serious strip
Keely
Comics have been going through a very public struggle with maturity for some time now. They were well on their way until they were hit with the 'Comics Code' in the fifties. The code was an outgrowth of reactionary postwar witch-hunting a la McCarthyism, and succeeded in limiting the content of an entire medium for thirty years.

For example, all crime had to be portrayed as sordid, and no criminals could be sympathetic. There goes any comic book retellings of Robin Hood. Good always had to triump
Brian
Spider has found a new way of trashing those he hates, and is going out as he has lived: screaming for people to start caring enough to fix the world. The introduction of his seemingly terminal illness only serves to raise the stakes to the breaking point. His one last act before death will be to bring down the presidency. And the funny thing is, while I of course root for our mad-as-hell messiah, I couldn't help shaking a feeling of loss. Spider can't live forever, and who would take his place? ...more
Sean Goh
'What about the mad people in the street?"
"The stories they have. And the system that put them there. But mostly the stories. It's the stories that make it real."

"It ends up here, but where does it start? My home, and all the others like it, contain the most damaged, deprived, depraved and delinquent children in the city. But we're the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff. We pick them up once the damage has already been done to them."
Cameron
Still brilliant. Also the most challenging volume yet.

Spider is out on his own looking at the truths he wants us to see without editorial intervention. The exploration of the issues of homeless, mental health and downgrading of social support and education services were prescient and ring true today.

The smiler looks and behaves very much like Tony Abbot, the current prime minister of Australia, it is all very unsettling.
Maria K.
I didn't care too much for the ongoing narrative - Spider's in hiding, still manages to get his column out while Callahan tries to have him killed - nor did I think it bad for that matter, what completely won me over in this volume however, where the stories "Business" and "There is a reason", dealing with child prostitues and the mentally ill. Powerful writing that's been haunting me for the last two days.
Owen
An unshackled Spider is on the loose, running and hunting in equal measures. In the midst of which are two hard-hitting issues centering on the failures of both government and society to address the tragedies of child prostitution and mental illness. Here again, Ellis' writing soars over the temporal distance to make salient points about issues that should already be history for us.
Molokov
After the rapid pace and story complication of the last two volumes, this one feels like the calm before the storm - some quieter single issues dealing with somewhat serious and confronting topics - and although The City is fictional, the topics covered do hit home for anyone with a conscience, which is one of the reasons why this comic is considered one of the greats.
Neville Ridley-smith
This one almost gets 4 stars from me but I can't justify that for all the usual reasons - ie the repulsiveness of much of the content.

The art is great as always. After reading Ocean with it's lack of correct pacing and composition, it's nice to return to panels done right.

Business is the stand-out story. It's easy to see it being a part of Transmet's future world as much as it is a part of ours and it's dealt with in a decent way. And the brilliance of it is that it makes you wonder that the cur
Deena
This was a great volume. I love when he does human interest pieces. He has such a passion for it, and despite being such a hardass, he really cares about the New Scum, as he so calls the dregs of society he writes about and for.
Regan Wann
I'm not sure exactly what's happening, but I sure am curious.

Could Spider possibly be mortal?

What's with all the crazy folk and the prostitute kids?

Are we going to find out?
Vleegoodfellow
*Spoilers* This book starts off where Book 6 left off with Spider fired from the Word. It doesn't live up to the full potential of it's premise. Part of the book is dedicated to mild, tepid journalistic pieces he writes and another section has a series of one-offs similar to Book 6's, but here they're consecutive snap-shots of different people around the city, in a loose story sequence connected by Spider aimlessly going around, but what they have to say isn't very interesting. The book's readab ...more
Chelsea Jennings
This series encompasses all the extremes of human life. It is at times disgusting and perverted, at others tender and inspiring, and all the while hilarious. Especially appropriate for our times, this series follows the work of outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem, who works to expose corruption in the leaders of government and society. He engages in an ongoing battle against a president who harbors ill will towards humanity, and who systematically attempts to rewrite the constitution, omitting al ...more
Drew
The social justice aspects of this volume make it somewhat different from any that has come before - this is not to say that the previous volumes haven't done similar things, haven't shown Spider's kind heart, but this was different no matter how you dice it. There was anger here, an anger that comes from frustration - and it's not just Spider's, but (I think) Ellis' too. We know the showdown with the President is coming, but hopefully there remain moments like this, where Spider does good for s ...more
Sue Smith
Now this is the hard hitting, rude and ruthless Spider that I've come to enjoy! This segment of the Spider saga is a good one and is once again proof positive that the pen is mightier than the sword. It's persuasive and invasive, it's smooth and sinuous and it's utterly merciless and penetrating when it hits the truth in the eye. This may be some futuristic nameless fantasy megalopolis, but the message is as true for us now in the real world as it is for Spiders.

The message? Be conscious. The t
Raisa
Spider Jerusalem goes into hiding following one of his particularly incendiary columns- but still continues firing off his columns. Once again, a series of isolated stories, which are quite interesting in that they are commentaries on our own society as well as the dystopian future Warren Ellis has created. However, not much happened in terms of moving the plot forward. I tend to like these volumes less. That said there was some good analysis which paints a grim picture of human nature- and it w ...more
Poonam
Found the missing link in series fortunately.

Spider Jerusalem who in last book lost his job at Word and sneaked away with all the money and his two assistants. He is visited by President's lackey killers and he investigates Vita Severn's assassination uncovering more dirty truths. Toward the end, also realises something is really wrong with him and he is not as mortal as he would like to be. Strangely Spider is less of a filthy man in this issue, he is now even likeable. :|
Shane
Got this at a closing Borders for 50% off, they just happened to have the #7 and #8 the next two that I needed.

I think this is probably the book that I least enjoyed out of this series (so far, but I guess there's still potential for suckiness ahead). It really didn't seem to have much of a plot, just kind of meandered about being clever and rude as you would expect from Spider/Ellis. I'm hoping this is the setup for a more plot-filled next book.
Lee
Spider's expose on those who helped Smiler's presidential bid was a hit once it was published. But now it's having repercussions. His informants are finding themselves on the wrong ends of guns, and it looks like they're coming after Spider next. Needless to say, Spider wants to go on living, writing stories that reflect the nastiness of society.
Mikael Kuoppala
Slightly hit-and-miss with its chaotic but nicely varied structure, "Spider's Trash" ultimately continues the saga with honors. The first chapters had a filler feel, but by the end of the volume Ellis has delivered enough meat and potatoes to satisfy the hunger for social commentary and witty dialog.
Seth
Spider, what the hell is the matter with you!
Joe Nichols Jr
Didn't like this one quite as much as the ones I have read up to this point. Volume 6 really left me wondering what would happen next, but this one didnt seem to go anywhere from there. It was slower and more tragic. I also wasn't nearly as funny. It was still good though.
Fox
Five stars for the story about the children alone.

Seriously, I'm going to be thinking about that one for some time. The things we are most reluctant to discuss and acknowledge are often the very things we need to discuss and acknowledge.
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 3: Entropy in the U.K.
  • Lucifer, Vol. 8: The Wolf Beneath the Tree (Lucifer, #8)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 13: Wilt
  • DMZ, Vol. 5: The Hidden War
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)