Transmetropolitan:  Year Of The Bastard (Transmetropolitan)

Transmetropolitan: Year Of The Bastard (Transmetropolitan #3)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  9,455 ratings  ·  117 reviews
In the third volume of the TRANSMETROPOLITAN collection, journalistic desperado Spider Jerusalem begins to crumble under the pressure of sudden and unwanted fame. Having had enough of the warped 21st century Babylon that he lives in, Spider escapes into a world of bitterness and pills. As he stumbles through this haze of depression and drugs, he must find a way to cover th...more
Published (first published September 1st 1999)

Chloe
If I were to ever have doubts as to the worthiness of comics as a medium for social critique or dissenting opinions, they would all be washed away by this volume of Warren Ellis' masterwork, Transmetropolitan. Within these slim and splendidly decorated pages lie some of the most biting and harsh political and social truths ever uttered, words so wonderfully free of restraint and so incendiary that, were they not shielded by the disregard most high minds have for comics, Ellis would likely be rem...more
Adam
During election years, this should be required reading for every American over the age of 16. That is all.
Mikael Kuoppala
After two evenly uneven and chaotic volumes about the explosive persona of Spider Jerusalem chasing the truth in a future America Warren Ellis streamlines his approach by giving us a more classic single story about corrupt presidential elections.

At first I was quite intrigued by the idea; "Transmetropolitan" has been extremely and fearlessly political from the beginning, and now Ellis is tackling politics directly. I have to say though that the series seems to sink a little bit with this third i...more
Sam Quixote
Up until now "Transmetropolitan" didn't really have a story and followed Spider Jerusalem from one bizarre story to the next but in "Year of the Bastard" a story arc that will continue for much of this series begins - the election of the President, the Beast vs the Smiler.

The Smiler is this great character who is the most superficial person alive and underneath the surface is one of the most terrifyingly blackest souls who ever lived. He's a brilliant target for the fearless Spider to latch onto...more
Sam Quixote

Ali
Sep 19, 2008 Ali rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: misanthropists, politics lovers, cynics
In this story arc, Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson throw their frenetic gonzo journalist, Spider Jerusalem, into covering a Presidential campaign. This collection follows a dozen issues introducing a vision of near-future America, where familiar elements are pushed into overdrive. Corruption is more endemic, technology is more pervasive, the divide between rich and poor is vaster, moral standards are laxer, religious leaders crazier, and the media environment is more of a constantly invasive p...more
Jay
Okay, I'm starting to get this series now. I'm actually starting to find it a bit funny- I laughed out loud at some parts. I still can't say I like Spider, but somehow I don't think he is meant to be 100% likable. I like parts of him, sure- his quest to truth and all that- but he's a bit too extreme for my political tastes. Good in theory, ends justifying means, etc etc.

But I'm starting to like it, which is a nice breath of fresh air. I might have to go and nick the fourth volume off Peter.
Kevin
I blame Warren Ellis for every fucked up thought in my head and the entirety of my Twitter stream. Reading Transmet is like getting repeatedly kicked in the nuts. Your brains nuts. This make brain mad. Make brain write things not normally write. Or at least with vastly increased frequency.

In fact, that's my pitch for Trasnmotropolitan (and Warren Ellis in general): Think weirder shit, faster!
Donald Armfield
This is one GRAPHIC NOVEL. Spider Jerusalem comes down from the mountains after 5 years with no civilization and gets his old job back. As a collum writer for the word Spider hates the world and cusses more than a truck driver. If you like dark humor with witty & bad words in your dialogue. And some great artwork. Check This Out!
Richard
Warren Ellis comes up with more weird brilliance in a six-issue series of comic books than most of us will come up with in our lifetimes. In "The Year of the Bastard," he takes on electoral politics with a vicious eye toward the way Americans choose their president.

By removing the half-hearted pleasantries or nods to the idea that we might seek anything other than a parental figure, who'll hold our hands and make all the big decisions for us, Ellis writes a scathing satire of the political syst...more
Hannah
Spider Jerusalem's rabid and unquenchable lust for truth reminds me of why the hell I wanted to be a journalist in the first place: to fuck things up. (And maybe rain down a little truth upon the blinded, ignorant masses.)
Steven
For all the hyperbole about political corruption, it's frightening that Spider Jerusalem's coverage of American politics is probably more accurate than the real thing.
Fox
Man, much better. The politics picks up and classic Gonzo journalism tactics come into play. The political wrangling in this is classic, and strangely enthralling. Dirty politics and Neo Nazi politicians, cannibalism and deviancy - this comic really has it all.

Like Garth Ennis Warren Ellis takes no prisoners, but unlike Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis weaves together a heavily political message that rings truer with every passing year.

There's a lot of truth in Transmetropolitan and there's much that...more
Dave Riley
While I'm not wedded to the graphics in comics as the main game with Transmetropolitan I make an exception. Darick Robertson's drawings here are simply wonderful as is the layout and the coloring. None better. Just so in sync with the POV of the storytelling.

Every page is memorable 'art'.

As for Spider Jerusalem and his highjinks -- while I am hooked on the series and will read it all I find the political cynicism a bit shallow and all a bit repetitive. Transmetropolitan is a rotten place, that'...more
Irena

I'm still raging over the fact that I've read this so fast. I didn't expect that the quality of the series would continue the same way it did 'til now. I couldn't think of the topic Ellis would be writing about (already in the last two issues we figured that humans have peaked at their disgust-level). Blame my poor imagination, but I slapped myself on the forehead when I started reading: yes, of course, the elections!

I assumed that such anarchic world would have no leaders, left to itself to ev...more
Keely
Comics have been going through a very public struggle with maturity for some time now. They were well on their way until they were hit with the 'Comics Code' in the fifties. The code was an outgrowth of reactionary postwar witch-hunting a la McCarthyism, and succeeded in limiting the content of an entire medium for thirty years.

For example, all crime had to be portrayed as sordid, and no criminals could be sympathetic. There goes any comic book retellings of Robin Hood. Good always had to triump...more
Jack Gattanella
Certainly my favorite of the Transmet volumes - which makes it one of my top 10 comic books of all time to be sure - as Ellis, in his Spider Jerusalem of course taking off from the example of Hunter S. Thompson, doing his scathing tribute/homage to Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail 72.

Who should get the presidency, The Beast or the Smiler? Which is less or more twisted and evil? And what about Vita Severin, who may be one of the only decent people in the city? This is thrilling politica...more
Cameron
The strength of this series keeps going though it takes a distinct turn away from the SF future world and turns to sharp satire of politics past, present and future.

It introduced a new character in Spider's new assistant Yelena. The volume is a 6-story arch covering the electoral candidate selection.

An added treat for me was the guest cover art Jae Lee and (my all time favourite) Dave Gibbons, including Spider in blue skin just like Rogue Trooper!
Molokov
This is it. This is where it starts getting good. Spider reluctantly starts covering the election and his reporting of the truth makes or breaks the candidancy of The Smiler. What happens in this volume pretty much informs the remainder of the entire comic's run and it's a great piece of political fiction that echoes the truth of the modern 'democratic' world, both within the US and across the world.
Sue Smith
Well one things for sure. Graphic novels sure as hell don't hold back!!! Like I noted before, nothing goes together better than political commentary and graphic novels either - it certainly gives you an opportunity to 'see' what all the verbal gobbly gook politicians throw out to confuse y'all ... even in a fictitious situation! I think that's why I enjoy the editorial cartoon in the paper so much .... something cleverly and humorously portrayed in afew short strokes!!

Not that this particular ch...more
James
Dislike starting a series at book 3, but it read fine. Disgusting, sweary, funny, and important. Classic Ellis, then. Robertson and co. are great partners in crime, with art that strikes the balance between cartoonish overstatement and real, gutsy power. Makes you want to shave your head, grab a camera, and start ranting truths to bring the world to rights. Finding the rest of the series now a top priority.
Randy Lander
Terrifyingly apropos to modern politics. Spider Jerusalem's "PSA" on voting is probably the most apt description of the phenomenon that I've read:

"You want to know about voting. I'm here to tell you about voting. Imagine you're locked in a huge underground nightclub filled with sinners, whores, freaks and unnameable things that rape pit bulls for fun. And you ain't allowed out until you all vote on what you're going to do tonight."

"You like to put your feet up and watch 'Republican Party Reserva...more
Larou
After two mostly episodic volumes, the third one actually has some kind of ongoing plot – admittedly, not very much of it, but I’m not reading this series for its compelling plot anyway – I read it for the over-the-top personality of Spider Jerusalem, the wild imagination of Warren Ellis comes up with (like growing a vice president on a body farm, “creating that utter rarity, a politician with a clean past”) and the graphic inventiveness of Darrick Robertson (whose panels invite to linger and ex...more
Peter Johnson
While Volume 2 was a substantially better than Volume 1, Volume 3: The Year of the Bastard is really more of the same, in a good way. In Volume 2 Spider Israel (the spectacularly-named main character) and his world matured and came into their own. Volume 3 is essentially, More Adventures of Spider Israel.
Having said that, it is a terrific amount of fun. Mostly the plot follows Spider's investigation on the impending presidential elections, which he does in delightful Spider-fashion. He also expe...more
Courtney
Spider is covering one of the biggest stories of his life- the upcoming presidential election. The only problem is that he's having trouble keeping himself going. He's got fame and fortune, but that's what drove him to exile last time. So now he's got a campaign to cover and both parties desperately want his support. This series continues to be both smart, scathing and hilarious.
Seth
Quickly becoming a favorite character of mine! Spider give zero fucks about anything and everyone! He is a journalist and he wants the truth, and to drop some hilarious one liners on that ass!
Rob
Spider Jerusalem does politics.

It was clear from the get-go that an arc on this topic -- at least one -- was going to happen. I'm happy to say it's substantially better than I expected. While it still has traces of the juvenile self-indulgence from the first trade, it's grown up a bit now that Ellis doesn't seem to feel as strongly that he has to prove his counterculture bona fides, and the story itself is farther out there than I expected, and I expected a lot.

As you can imagine, this is a pret...more
Robert Beveridge
Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan: Year of the Bastard (Vertigo, 1999)

In its third volume, Transmetropolitan managed to do something I didn't think it could: get even funnier. Feeling the old ennui creeping back in, Spider pumps himself full of everything known to man (and some things that aren't). His editor snags him a new assistant, but with a catch: she's his niece, which will (hopefully) stop Spider from doing the same things that have caused him to lose his other assistants over the years. F...more
Morgane
Now that there's an actual, consistent plot, I am absolutely into this comic. I need to know what happens next!! And the art continues to impress. I laughed aloud at the giant, loud "PHONE CALL" panel. Totally nailed it.
  • Preacher, Volume 8: All Hell's a-Coming
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 3: Entropy in the U.K.
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 3: Fact v. Fiction  (Ex Machina, #3)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 4: A Foregone Tomorrow
  • Lucifer, Vol. 9: Crux (Lucifer, #9)
  • DMZ, Vol. 3: Public Works
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash (Transmetropolitan, #7)

“By four o'clock, I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.” 224 likes
“You want to know about voting. I'm here to tell you about voting. Imagine you're locked in a huge underground night-club filled with sinners, whores, freaks and unnameable things that rape pitbulls for fun. And you ain't allowed out until you all vote on what you're going to do tonight. You like to put your feet up and watch "Republican Party Reservation". They like to have sex with normal people using knives, guns, and brand new sexual organs you did not even know existed. So you vote for television, and everyone else, as far as your eye can see, votes to fuck you with switchblades. That's voting. You're welcome.” 51 likes