Start by marking “Ferret Fun” as Want to Read:
Ferret Fun

Ferret Fun

Two ferrets try to dodge a cat who thinks they’re rats…and a snack.
Published March 1st 2011 by Two Lions

Sandy Brehl
Charmingly comical characters, with enough sinister tension to create a few shivers with the laughs. Useful talking points about bullying, building friendships. Anyone needing articulation practice with initial /f/ sounds will find an abundance in this story!
Richard
Mar 08, 2017 Richard rated it liked it
Fun read for the kids, but the story feels like it moves too fast for how it gets to the end with the cat and ferrets playing together. The biggest problem was the raisins. Never EVER give ferrets raisins.
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: "Aw, they are so cute. Can we get ferrets?" Our pet-loving daughter loved talking about the pictures in the book. She thought Fudge & Einstein's plan turned out hilarious and was glad they could all get along.

Big Kid Reaction: This is a cute story that has more layers than it appears on the surface. Kids will instantly focus on the prank, but subsequent reads will bring out other details about tolerance and friendship. I wish we'd have had this book when my daughter was
Rachel Dutton
Jul 02, 2015 Rachel Dutton rated it really liked it
This is definitely a cute book for a child beginning to read! The two ferrets were best friends who were weary of a new roommate, a cat. The pictures detail of all the commotion going on between the two ferrets and the cat. Their expressions also helped to show how they felt while interacting with each other. From reading the book, I think it tells children to not be scared of someone new and not judge them. You could end up becoming best friends with them! Teachers could use puppets to tell the ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
May 16, 2011 Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, pets
What I thought: Fun indeed! I loved it. This is definitely the first ferret book I've read. I think it's needed though as ferrets are becoming more and more popular as pets. The illustration style (almost like a comic book) is great and suits the story perfectly. My favorite illustrations are Fudge and Einstein dancing and Marvel chasing the ferrets (last page). I originally thought this would make a good addition to my pets story time, but I've changed my mind. I think Ferret Fun will be best u ...more
Angela Lambkin
Jul 18, 2016 Angela Lambkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do the two ferrets deal with Marvel?

I enjoyed the story and the brilliantly colored illustrations but I would think that the captions in each comic part could be easier to figure out how to enlarge them as one goes from one to the next. I found this to be a bit frustrating and I am not a young kid either. Therefore, I would like to recommend this ebook for four stars and for kids ages 6-8. I received this ebook for free and in return, here is my honest review Karen! By Angela
Angie
Oct 03, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fudge and Einstein the ferrets are relaxing in their hammocks when their owner brings in a new friend, Marvel the cat. Marvel isn't sure what to make of them and things they are rats, which she loves to eat. She tries to get them until they get her back and scare her. But they decide in the end to be friendly and play a nice game of chase. This is a fun book. I like the interaction between the ferrets and Marvel. The illustrations are in a graphic novel format which will make it very appealing t ...more
Christiane
Apr 27, 2011 Christiane rated it really liked it
Ferret friends Fudge and Einstein are rightfully nervous when their owner introduces Marvel, a hungry cat who is convinced they are rats. This is a picture book but the story is told in comic book panels with word balloons. It is very beautifully drawn and colored. The expressions on the animal’s faces are hilarious and I love how the ferrets manage to solve their dilemma. I once watched a friend's ferret for the weekend and my cat reacted exactly like Marvel did!
Tam
Aug 03, 2011 Tam rated it really liked it
I liked this book just as much as my boys (ages 4 & 8) did! It's written in comic-book style and I liked the illustrations.

Excerpt from the book (after the owner introduces Marvel the cat to the ferrets, Fudge and Einstein):
Fudge said to Einstein "I hope this friend brought raisins." Einstein replied, "I love raisins." Marvel saw the ferrets and said, "What are you two? You're not cats. I know cats. You're not dogs. I know dogs. Are you rats? I love tasty--I mean--I love rats."
Arthur Pengerbil
Feb 22, 2012 Arthur Pengerbil rated it really liked it
Reading Level: Ages 4-8

What do two ferrets named Fudge and Einstein do when they meet a cat who thinks that they would be a perfect snack?

Convince him otherwise, that's what!

For more book reviews from the HPPL Youth Department, click here.
Tricia
Jun 12, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Picture book with graphic novel format---thsi is the story of ferrets Fudge and Einstein who are exposed to cat Marvel when their owner is pet-sitting. Marvel thinks they are rats and is eager ot eat them. Trouble ensues...until they find a common interest. Because of the format this presents a challenge as a readaloud option...best shared one on one.
Polly
Jul 06, 2011 Polly rated it it was ok
Fluffy, in a bad way, which is too bad. Ferrets are great, and I'm always happy to meet nice ones in literature (and definitely in real life!) These ferrets are not very much like any ferrets I've ever met (and I've known 13 fairly well and met several more). Which is not to say they aren't like any real ferrets, but it cuts down on my enjoyment.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Mar 20, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Two ferrets have a new arrival to deal with - a cat who thinks that they might be more of a tasty meal than friends. Finally the ferrets discover a way to handle this new arrival. Quirky illustrations and a fun story was a winning combination for me.
Shelli
Jun 09, 2011 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute picture book done in comic book style of two ferrets that have an unwanted feline house guest. Ferrets closely resemble rats, which makes the cat want to get quickly acquainted with these snacks... I mean friends.
Kristen
Sep 26, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
This is a fun one for beginning readers. I like that it's a picture book in graphic novel format and the story is fun and simple to follow. I think it would be tricky to get right as a read-aloud in story time, but would be a good one-on-one option.
Anastasia Tuckness
This is a cute graphic novel style picture book that tells the story of Marvel the cat visiting a home with 2 ferrets. Although Marvel threatens to eat them at first, by the end they get along.

Recommended for early readers and animal lovers.
Traci Bold
Jun 07, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
A wonderful picture book about standing up to a bully and having compassion for one another.

Written by Karen Rostoker-Gruber and illustrated by Paul Rátz de Tagyos. Published by Marshall Cavendish Children.

#cat #ferrets #bullying #PB
Nicole
Oct 26, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_book
Cute...and I don't often get my hands on a book featuring ferrets...
Kelly
May 04, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
This is a funny book with great illustrations. I liked how the animals stood up to the cat and turned it around on him.
Brian
Jan 10, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
pretty much presented as a picture book/graphic novel.
Miss M
Jul 27, 2013 Miss M rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
ferrets doing ferret things It was an okay picture book for children.
Emily
Aug 04, 2011 Emily rated it liked it

Convince him otherwise, that's what!
Jun 30, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A cat wants to eat Einstein and Fudge...how will they convince her not to?
Adrienne Furness
Rostoker-Gruber has obviously had some experience with ferrets, and ferrets are just kind of inherently fun. I'm surprised there aren't more of them in children's books.
Allison
May 10, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
adorable!! What a great introduction to graphic novels.
Rachel
May 03, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
Graphic novel format. Theme of enemies who learn to be friends, simple and straightforward.
Brandielle
Sep 05, 2012 Brandielle rated it liked it
Comic book style. Cute.
George
Aug 21, 2011 George rated it really liked it
My 5 and 8-year-old boys loved this story. It was also a chance for them to read in a simplified comic-style setup, which they have had little-to-no experience in.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Karen Rostoker-Gruber’s first picture book, “Rooster Can’t Cock-a-Doodle-Doo,” was published in July 2004 by Dial Books for Young Readers. Her first novelty book, “Food Fright,” was published in October 2003 by Price Stern Sloan. “Bandit” was published by Marshall Cavendish in 2008. “Bandit’s Surprise” and “Tea Time,” and "Ferret Fun," were all published by Marshall Cavendish.

Karen has two new boo
More about Karen Rostoker-Gruber...