Start by marking “The Only Game in Town: Sportswriting from The New Yorker” as Want to Read:
The Only Game in Town: Sportswriting from The New Yorker

The Only Game in Town: Sportswriting from The New Yorker

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  21 reviews
For more than eighty years, The New Yorker has been home to some of the toughest, wisest, funniest, and most moving sportswriting around. The Only Game in Town is a classic collection from a magazine with a deep bench, including such authors as Roger Angell, John Updike, Don DeLillo, and John McPhee. Hall of Famer Ring Lardner is here, bemoaning the lowering of standards f ...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Modern Library (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Only Game in Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Only Game in Town

Alex
Good New Yorker articles are like black holes: when you get sucked into one you cease to exist in time and space...for about 25 minutes. A compilation of the best sports articles from the New Yorker is just a bigger black hole, in a good way. There are 512 pages in this collection, and I read it slowly, over the course of a few months, picking it up and putting it down at leisure. Of every five articles, one was just pretty good, three were great, and one was so incredibly consuming that I brief ...more
Grindy Stone
Sports stories in the New Yorker are common, though it wasn't until I digested this that I realized how deep the magazine's bench is. If Sports Illustrated has a better reputation than the New Yorker, it's only because SI has pictures. The two big names in New Yorker sports writing are represented, Roger Angell and Herbert Wind Warren. I don't go nuts for Angell like some people and the Warren article, about golfing in Ireland, has been anthologized elsewhere. The underrated sports writers for t ...more
Tom Gase
This book was okay, but I think I read it at the wrong time. I had this book, The Only Game in Town, on my to-read list for about two years and should have read it earlier. Instead I read it very shortly after reading another sports collection on the best writing of the 20th century. That book was obviously much better than this one as this book was just the best sportswriting from one magazine while the previous was the best sportswriting period. Also I realized while reading this best of from ...more
Tony
Remnick, David (ed.). THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN. (2010). ****.
Subtitled “Sports Writing from the New Yorker,” this is a marvelous assemblage of articles drawn from that magazine dealing with a variety of sports and atheletes. I’ve been a reader of this magazine for many years, but never – that I can remember – read any of the articles dealing with sports. That’s not why I read the New Yorker! I was impressed, however, by what I’ve missed over the years. Articles included in this collection like: Jo
Joyce
It's a little depressing that the quality of writing about sports seems to have declined quite a bit, based on the evidence herein. The best essays tend to be the earlier ones, such as AJ Liebling's 1955 "Ahab and Nemesis" about the Archie Moore - Rocky Marciano fight; or John McPhee's in-depth profile of Bill Bradley which later become the book _A Sense of Where You Are_. The later essays tend to be entirely solipsistic; or obsessed with the BUSINESS of sport rather than the non-monetary detail ...more
Colin
Some great essays, such as classic profiles of MJ and Ted Williams. The older works are the better ones, as they show us how the role of sport has changed in America over the past century.

But frankly, Adam Gopnik's essay stands head and shoulders above the rest ---- (it's also available in his own collection of essays "Through the Children's Gate"), and it's one of the single most beautiful essays I've ever read. Kinda/sorta about his friend Kirk dying, it involves football and teaching, and is
Nathan Douthit
This was a fun read. Some of the pieces were excellent, focusing on great athletes like Ted Williams or sports I was unfamiliar with like horse racing. Some were interesting, like Malcom Gladwell's piece on failure. And some were just okay.
Matthew
Jul 27, 2010 Matthew marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I saw both Remnick and Roger Angell on Charlie Rose last night, and that convinced me to pick up this book. I might not read all the essays, but the Updike on Teddy Ballgame's last ballgame and Angell on Ron Darling's 10-inning no-hitter in college, where his Yale team lost the game in the 11th to Frank Viola's St. Johns sounds like must reads.
Alwa
Just a very few clunkers keeping it from 5; Bill Bradley: Rich and White, Not Poor and Black! is not an essay, John McPhee. Also underwhelming: A. J. Liebling (bummer). However: everything else. They're all there...Michael Jordan, Michelle Kwan, Tiger Woods, Shaquille O'Neal, and a bunch of others you've never heard of.
Bill
A lot of the pieces in here were a bit overwrought and ultimately turned some very interesting subjects into incredibly boring material. Sometimes, I was amazed at just how painful some of the reading was. But, ultimately, it was OK. Maybe it's a New Yorker thang, and I wouldn't understand.
David
Loved "The Web of the Game"; "The Only Games in Town"; "A Sense of Where You Are"; "El Unico Matador"; "Net Worth"; "Dangerous Game"; "Last of the Metrozoids" (best); "Tennis Personalities"; "The National Pastime" (best); "Home and Away"; "A Stud's Life" (best)
lee
i found myself skipping portions of it--i had hoped that the high quality of writing from the new yorker would make things like horse racing, cycling, and golf interesting to me, but i did not find that to be the case. this is disappointing, but the rest was good.
Sloan
Excellent sports writing from The New Yorker. The most intriguing stories are from the early-to-mid 20th century, as they reflect a time in which sports were viewed and experienced in a very different manner from today.
Bill
Some of the finer essays ever produced on baseball alone, including Angell's "Web of the Game"; Updike's "Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu" and Cheever's "Father and Sons". Masterpieces.
Kevin Hodgson
Lots of great stuff in here. I didn't read everything -- some of the stylized writing is not to my taste -- but it's great to stumble over something unexpected.
Joel
Mar 06, 2012 Joel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
The best essays are the ones about insane skiers and surfers and boxing managers. Screw the pieces on Lance Armstrong, Shaquille O'Neal, and Tiger Woods.
mingfrommongo
It's an anthology - what's to review? Some good pieces, some not-so-good; three stars. If you're a fan of sports and/or The New Yorker, it's a pleasant read.
Michael
Overall, a good book, though it tapers off at the end. The individual profiles were as good as they always are, but some of the older pieces did not age well.
Heather
3.5. So many great stories here; Malcolm Gladwell's The Art if Failure and the profile of Bill Bradley at Princeton probably resonated the most.
Ray Charbonneau
All those different writers, across multiple decades, and they all read like "New Yorker" pieces :-)
Matthew
A fantastic collection of great sports writing. A must read for any sports fan.
David
David is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
Nina Tarnawsky
Nina Tarnawsky is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
David McClain
David McClain marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Ben B
Ben B added it
May 14, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Matt Suder
Matt Suder is currently reading it
May 03, 2015
  • Everything They Had: Sports Writing
  • The Complete Game: Reflections on Baseball, Pitching, and Life on the Mound
  • The Ball: Discovering the Object of the Game
  • Mickey and Willie: Mantle and Mays, the Parallel Lives of Baseball's Golden Age
  • The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball
  • An Accidental Sportswriter
  • Howard Cosell: The Man, the Myth, and the Transformation of American Sports
  • The Best American Sports Writing 2012
  • The Dallas Cowboys: The Outrageous History of the Biggest, Loudest, Most Hated, Best Loved Football Team in America
  • Show Me a Story!: Why Picture Books Matter: Conversations with 21 of the World's Most Celebrated Illustrators
  • Soldiers First: Duty, Honor, Country, and Football at West Point
  • As They See 'Em: A Fan's Travels in the Land of Umpires
  • The Curse of the Bambino
  • The Big Scrum: How Teddy Roosevelt Saved Football
  • La Roja: How Soccer Conquered Spain and How Spanish Soccer Conquered the World
  • Cheek by Jowl
  • Strokes of Genius: Federer, Nadal, and the Greatest Match Ever Played
  • A Drive into the Gap
David Remnick (born October 29, 1958) is an American journalist, writer, and magazine editor. He won a Pulitzer Prize in 1994 for his book Lenin s Tomb The Last Days of the Soviet Empire. Remnick has been editor of The New Yorker magazine since 1998. He was named Editor of the Year by Advertising Age in 2000. Before joining The New Yorker, Remnick was a reporter and the Moscow correspondent for Th ...more
More about David Remnick...
The Bridge: The Life and Rise of Barack Obama Lenin's Tomb: The Last Days of the Soviet Empire King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)