Start by marking “Improving Adolescent Literacy: Content Area Strategies at Work” as Want to Read:
Improving Adolescent Literacy: Content Area Strategies at Work

Improving Adolescent Literacy: Content Area Strategies at Work

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"Improving Adolescent Literacy: Content Area Strategies at Work," Third Edition, gives teachers and teacher candidates the tools they need to help all students work toward mastery of literacy and comprehension of content area texts. Practical, straightforward, and affordable, this guide is packed with real classroom examples of specific teaching strategies in action and fe ...more
Paperback, 3rd Edition, 199 pages
Published February 28th 2011 by Allyn & Bacon (first published August 18th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Improving Adolescent Literacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Improving Adolescent Literacy

Has some useful strategies in it, but the rest of the text is incredibly dry and makes it feel like a slog to get through. Worth a look just to browse some of the methods relating to your content area, but as a whole... not so much. Also, avoid the ebook like the plague and get the physical text.
One of the best education textbooks out there. I bought this edition because it was 90% cheaper than the new edition but it still has the same great information minus two new chapters. It is one text I am using in grad school that I know I will take with me to my classroom.
This is a short accessible book that I highly recommend. The chapters are divided into different types of activities (e.g. anticipatory activities, graphic organizers, taking notes, writing to learn, vocabulary development, read alouds) and have three chapters that discuss reading research and the adolescent learner and high stakes testing. Each chapter also provides ideas on how to incorporate the strategies in classrooms throughout the core disciplines, foreign language classrooms, and electiv ...more
This text was quite accessible, and I liked all the examples it had to offer. It was my favorite of 3 for a class I took about Content Area Literacy.
Really useful information about different ways to teach literacy in various content areas. It is centered around helping all students by scaffolding for students with special needs. This one is a keeper.
Good resource for content area teachers, or special education teachers working with middle school students who struggle with content area reading.
Required text for one of my courses.... Easy to read.....
Useful, but very, very dry.
Bendecida Martinez
Bendecida Martinez marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Missy McConnell
Missy McConnell is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2015
Desmond Hendricks
Desmond Hendricks marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Daren marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015