Selected Poems 1934-1952, New Revised Edition

Selected Poems 1934-1952, New Revised Edition

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Dylan Thomas (1914-1953) prepared this volume in 1952 the author's choice of the ninety poems he felt would best represent his work up to that time and it was published by New Directions in 1953 as The Collected Poems of Dylan Thomas, shortly after his death. This book was then and remained, for all practical purposes, Thomas's "collected" poems and in that sense complete....more
Published April 19th 2003 by New Directions Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems 1934-1952, New Revised Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems 1934-1952, New Revised Edition

Anna
On Belatedly Reading Dylan Thomas for the First Time

My God, I’ve blundered into
a fairy-tale forest, thick whiskey-
cloying dark, yellow eyes
lurking, trees charred to ash
still bearing rotten fruit. The taste
of blood and plums. Christ
breaking on the cobblestones.
Death’s feather, not raven but
peacock, teasing the keys from
the lock, the locks from the knot,
across the worm-eaten pillow I
lie lost, seduced, buried in moss,
waiting for the white horses
to drown me like sorrow.
Francine
His poems are hunting and very dark... if you fear death PLEASE read his poems, they will haunt you in good sort of way. Love Dylan Thomas!

... and please, "Do not go gentle into that good night" ...rage, rage, against the dying of the light...

** I love how John Cale from the Velvet Underground ( a classical educated musician) arranged this poem into a beautiful classical composition.** Cale is another genius. It ALWAYS brings chills to my spine when I listen to it. Just Beautiful! :)

Matthew Baskerville
These selected poems of Dylan Thomas are beautiful to read, sound beautiful, and are beautiful to think about long after the book has been put down. Thomas’s talent for framing a poem in lyrical verse, while maintaining a contemporary sense of subject and theme, is impressive and succeeds in creating a lasting impact on the reader. As a writer, I view Thomas’s poems as the type of lyricism and imagery that I would like to include in the more stream of consciousness elements I envision for my cha...more
Stef
Some of the most jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring, envy-inciting poems I've ever had the privilege of reading (and continuously rereading).

This collection is very tight - all of the works fit neatly together, and the lack of variation in poetic maturity throughout is once again mind-boggling. To think of the young age at which Thomas began writing is truly remarkable, and it's almost unbelievable how he retained his creative powers throughout his career.

If ever I am in doubt of anything in my life, f...more
Sue
Probably one his best known villanelles for a reason...because it's so damn good.

First stanza:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Thomas wrote this upon his father's impending death. Though it is clearly addressing his father directly, it rather reads as if Thomas wrote it more for his own comfort.

This is also very good:

....Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying
T...more
Starr Bruner
Beautiful. Please read.
Patrick
Dylan Thomas, poet, on the vagina: a "bread and milk mansion in a toothless town."

At least I think he's talking about the vagina, because dude's use of language is downright Delphic at times, but, hey, "when logics die / the secret of the soil grows through the eye / and blood jumps in the sun."
Casey
When I moved into my dorm room freshman year, I noticed that the previous occupant had taped Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night on the back wall of my bookshelf. I realize now the cheesiness it requires to type up the poem, cut it out, and tape it up, but back then, I thought it was rock 'n' roll.
Safa
Nov 17, 2013 Safa added it
Shelves: poetry
"Not for the proud man apart
From the raging moon I write
On these spindrift pages
Nor for the towering dead
With their nightingales and psalms
But for the lovers, their arms
Round the griefs of the ages,
Who pay no praise or wages
Nor heed my craft or art."
Ke Huang
I don't know if it is because I have been in law school for a year, but I found that most of Thomas' poems lacked logic. That said, what they lacked in logic, they made it up in musicality and beauty. Overall, I loved Thomas' unique voice.
Hannah
AP Lit rekindled my love for Dylan Thomas <3 "Do Not Go Gentle" is one of my favorite poems of all time. I really got into some of his other ones, but this one remains my favorite!
Karen
I love his writing and I love going to the White Horse Tavern and imagining what it was like when he sat around with Ginsberg, Kerouac and others.
David Christian
I think I've read everything in this collection at least once, but I'll be going back over it many times. Great poetry I don't read once.
Jan
May 10, 2007 Jan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Thomas is another early favorite.

Listen to him reading them, if you get a chance.

Cassie
a stellar collection of poems from my favorite adulterous drunk.
Chris
Probably my favorite poet - I'll be reading this my whole life.
Stephen
Though his poetry can by cryptic I really love it.
Martha
And one light's language in the book of trees
Russ
Feb 07, 2008 Russ added it
the perfect book to bring along anywhere
Karen
Contains my favorite poem.
Julie Gilliland
Julie Gilliland marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jacque
Jacque is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Dylan Marlais Thomas was a Welsh poet. He is regarded by many as one of the 20th century's most influential poets.

In addition to poetry, Thomas also wrote short stories and scripts for film and radio, with the latter frequently performed by Thomas himself. His public readings, particularly in America, won him great acclaim; his booming, at times ostentatious, voice with a subtle Welsh lilt, became...more
More about Dylan Thomas...
Collected Poems Under Milk Wood A Child's Christmas in Wales Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog Adventures in the Skin Trade