Start by marking “Three Weeks with My Brother” as Want to Read:
Three Weeks with My Brother

Three Weeks with My Brother

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  29,182 Ratings  ·  2,443 Reviews
As moving as his bestselling works of fiction, Nicholas Sparks's unique memoir, written with his brother, chronicles the life-affirming journey of two brothers bound by memories, both humorous and tragicIn January 2003, Nicholas Sparks and his brother, Micah, set off on a three-week trip around the globe. It was to mark a milestone in their lives, for at thirty-seven and t ...more
Published April 5th 2004 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Three Weeks with My Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Weeks with My Brother

Chari
I learned that:

Life is not fair...

God works all things out in the end, even if to us it doesn't seem right....

A family must stay together through it all....NO MATTER WHAT!

Noone is perfect...we should try looking at ourselves first..

Investing in your children and their future is priceless...

We all must get away sometimes to sort through our bag of trash and emotions that we have picked up along life's journey....

A man and wife are truly a team and I need to figure out how to have that kind of par
Nate
Aug 17, 2007 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one's specifically for John: look I know you don't respect Nicholas Sparks, but you've got to admit that if someone presented you with the opportunity to make millions upon millions of dollars by writing books you'd probably take it, even if all you could write were romance novels. Nevertheless, this book has absolutely nothing to do with The Notebook or Message in a Bottle and I guarantee if you read it, you will appreciate it. So do it, just like I read Game of Thrones for you.
Afrah
Apr 10, 2015 Afrah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
رواية يكتبها (نيكولاس) بمساعدة أخيه (ميكا) وذلك عندما يقرران قضاء رحلة حول العالم معاً، فهذه الرواية ليست مجرد رواية من خيال الكاتب، بل هي قصة حقيقية واقعية ومواقف عاشها الكاتب، وهذا ما يجعلها أقرب وأصدق وأعمق.
وليست كذلك سيرة ذاتية لحياتهما فقط -مع كون هذا أكثر ما أهمني وما ركزت فيه- وإنما هو يُعتبر من أدب الرحلات، فتارة يذكر عن الرحلة وعن مغامراته فيها مع أخيه، وما شاهداه -وإن له وصف جميل أعجبني- وتارة يرجع للماضي ليتذاكر مع أخيه عن حياتهما وطفولتهما بكل ما يتخللها من مغامرة وشقاوة ومواقف محزنة
أروى
Jul 03, 2008 أروى rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
إنها نوع من السير الذاتية التي كتبت بطريقة فريدة...

تبدأ برغبة الأخوان بالقيام برحلة معاً..لزيارة معالم أثرية حول العالم..

لقد كانت الرحلة التي طالما تمنيا القيام بها..

يتأرجح السرد بين خطين..

الأول يصف الرحلة بكل تفاصيلها والأماكن التي قاما بزيارتها حول أماكن متباعدة في العالم ،والخط الثاني يعود للوراء ليحكي حكاية هذان الأخوان منذ طفولتهما..

إنها سيرة ذاتية ممزوجة بأدب الرحلات..

الكثير من الصدق المشحون في ثنايا تلك الأحداث يتسرب إليك ليخبرك أن الحياة تتفاوت صعوداً ونزولاً..

توفيت والدتهما في حادث سقوط
Shanna
Jan 31, 2008 Shanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to my mom for introducing me to this book, it is totally different than any other Nicholas Sparks book. It is actually a memoir written by his brother and himself. Tells the story of his life in a very personal way as he takes a 3 week trip around the world with his brother. Warning: it is a very sad book! I loved it though - couldn't put it down. Makes me want to go read all his other books now that I know where he got his inspiration.
Jeannette
May 10, 2008 Jeannette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sparks beautifully weaves stories from his childhood with a trip around the world with his brother. Have tissues on hand. It'll make you cry.
Stephanie
I definitely liked Nicholas Sparks’ autobiography more than I thought I would (and considering I am only giving it two stars, that doesn't say much). This book is kind of two stories wrapped together: the first being Nick’s 3-week trip around the world with his brother – the only other living member of his family; the second story is how they got to be the only living members in their family (aka their family life and the separate deaths of their mother, sister and father). I found myself much m ...more
Kelly
I'm old enough now that I no longer apologize for anything that I read; I certainly no longer feel that I have to justify my reading selections to anyone or feel bad if I read popular fiction, etc. With that said, I read Sparks fiction regardless of the disdain I receive from some of my peers. I picked this book up expecting the same cliched, romantic, overdone plot of his fiction books. I was pleasantly surprised that this book was different. I have a complicated relationship with my family, an ...more
bookczuk
To any of my reading buddies, it's no secret that I pretty much loathe the novels of Nicholas Sparks. I have tried them, and nope, not for me. There's a history and a story there, which I've recorded elsewhere, but the main part of that story is that I do have personal respect for the man, after a chance encounter with him at a Books-A-Million years ago.

A huge crowd of women were fluttering around an author. He was a clean cut, preppie-ish kind of guy (I remember that his blue shirt had an unfor
Kathrina
This is what happens when prisons don't employ librarians...a bunch of male offenders pick dreck like this. Now I want to read The Notebook, only to figure out how to sell a novel in one week for a million dollars. If this guy can do it, anyone can. I'm thinking the secret is: exploit tragedy to its extreme, and continually refer to what a good Christian you are. And be a huge UGLY AMERICAN and then be kind of proud of it.

Yes, Micah, you definitely deserve to be the one guy in centuries they all
Independent Journalist Jennifer Karchmer
I read this fabulous book in one weekend, zipping through it cover to cover.* It was one of the first books I read on the Kindle and found myself making "notes" on the electronic device at both funny and poignant moments. The writing is conversational, the dialogue true to life, and as an autobiographical account of Sparks' relationship with his brother, very touching and sweet.

In one scene, Sparks tells us about his attempt at the famed 'wooden-rocket powered by CO2 cartridge' feat in the Cub
K.D. Absolutely
Jun 22, 2009 K.D. Absolutely rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Nicholas Sparks fan (hey, this is his biography!)
Recommended to K.D. by: No one
Shelves: bio, given-away
This is my third book of Nicholas Sparks. I bought this because this is his only non-fiction book and it is partly his biography as well as a travelogue so it is like buying 2 books at the same time. I remember that the reason why I bought Message in the Bottle was that I saw the movie and I wanted to read and further enjoy the letters in the bottle. I bought his other novel The Lucky One last year in LAX because I saw that it topped the New York Times Bestsellers List and I had to kill time in ...more
Rasha
May 27, 2015 Rasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
سيرة ذاتية دافئة، وشيقة ، و لم تخلو من الألم.
Jan
Nov 02, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have never read a Nicholas Sparks book before in my life. Nor have I seen any of the movies based on his books. To tell you the truth, his stuff has always looked very cheesy, generic, and melodramatic to me.

However, this is not one of his fiction books. This is a two-part memoir, written with his older brother Micah. One part of the memoir is about their childhood. The other part is about a 3-week trip around the world that they took together in 2002. Each chapter starts with a certain phase
John Paul Mahofski
I sit back and listen to many in our field "librarianship" destroy this man. He writes chick books (not my words), he has no talent, he uses software templates, every story is the same, his career has been handed to him, he's so lucky.
While what is true is that what sparks does is what many of us wish we could do; he finishes novels. He doesn't just start them.
And now that I've read this memoir I have come to realize that the man behind these novels that make me cry and laugh out loud has overc
Glenn
Sep 20, 2011 Glenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've made a vow...that I won't read any "other" books by Nicholas Sparks. I'm not a romance novel kinda guy. I'm just not. It's not that I have an unusually gruff exterior or anything like that. It's just that they bore me and if I'm up for some romance, I'd rather migrate that energy into toward my wife than read about it and spend the energy, then treat her like a "buddy" later.

So, when I read this book, it appealed to me on different levels. I related to the author's family life. My parents d
Teri
Sep 21, 2009 Teri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a tough book to review. It was really fascinating to me to hear about Nicholas Sparks' life. It was emotional and unbelievable that anyone could go through so much sadness in their life. As with most of his books, this one got me teary eyed a few times. The story itself goes through his trip around the world with his brother, most of which I found a little boring. Then, intertwined is the story of his life, that part was good. I found myself skimming, or skipping all together, a lot of t ...more
Dana
Jan 22, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone desiring a closer bond w/ family or anyone going the pain of loss.
Recommended to Dana by: My son, Jason
I read this book because it meant alot to my sons. They related to it and because of some tragedies in our lives.....I also could relate. It is the story of Nicholas Sparks and his brother and the importance of family. Even in the face of death and grief, there is strength to carry on when it is shared with loved ones. My main source of strength is Jesus and it is because of the hope I have in Him that I am able to contnue. I don't always thrive, as this book encourages.....some days it's just e ...more
Angie
Sep 16, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nicholas-sparks
This book for me had me going from laughter to melancholy, from sad and upset but overall I enjoyed this book and I can highly recommend it.

It covers 3 weeks wheree nick and his big brother Micah go on a group trip around the world, visiting among other places as lalibela,Ethiopia, machu picchu, the temples of Cambodia, the inka pyrimids, Easter islands and other places like that. In between he writes about his life growing up and all the strains and loss that he and Micah had to cope with.

After
Jensownzoo
Well, I read half of it, put it down to sleep then didn't pick it up again for a few weeks. Usually a bad sign, but not really in this case. It wasn't a riveting read, but it was very well-constructed. Went back and forth between the present world-spanning trip and memories of the past, but in a way that seemed fairly natural instead of forced. Made me want to check out another Spark's book to see how his fiction reads.
Khawlah Abdullah
Feb 20, 2010 Khawlah Abdullah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
هذه المرة الأولى التي أقرأ فيها لـ نيكولاس سباركس ، استمتعت جداً ، ذكريات الطفولة ومغامرات الشباب ، كل التفاصيل كانت جميلة وممتعة ، الرواية قد أقرب لسيرة عائلة سباركس أكثر من كونها سيرة أخَوَين وصديقين ومُغامرَين .

الرواية تستحق القراءة ، بل إنها ممتعة جداً
Five stars
Rex Fuller
Apr 08, 2013 Rex Fuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book. It is an autobiography that completely dispels any notion the author has had a charmed life - the need for which dispelling he admits.
Nettie
Oct 07, 2010 Nettie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because of it's relation to what I went through at the loss of my parents. Not with my brother but, alone. Yes, I have a step-mother & half sister but, i am alone now because those relationships are not bonds that hold me to them like the bond of my parents. There are no other siblings.

That is why I feel so deeply the pleasure of our own family and thank God every day for giving us the family I enjoy & love with every fiber of my being.

this is copied from another - I co
Smrithiraj Puli
May 01, 2012 Smrithiraj Puli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
I am grateful to have selected this book during my 4 days of vacation. I just couldnt resist the book. With the pace I was reading, I knew it would be finishing in a day and it did.
The book starts off with Nicholas making plans to go on a trip with his brother and when they finally start out on the journey, its not only mesmerizing but also leads Nicholas to introspect on certain aspects of his life.

I have had the privilege to have the wonderful places described by my famous author in this book
Karen Germain
Sep 13, 2010 Karen Germain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, a disclaimer – I have never read a Nicholas Sparks book and I am not a fan of the movie adaptations of his novels. The stories just seem ridiculously sappy.

I bought “Three Weeks with My Brother” for my friend as a birthday gift. It is a memoir written by both Nicholas Sparks and his brother, Micah. It sounded like the perfect present for my friend. She read it and loved it and wanted me to read it. I was not sure what to expect and ended up blown away by it.

The memoir jumps between the br
Meghan
Jul 10, 2009 Meghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that you oculd read over and over and over and still be in awe when you finish it. It's truly a amazing. I recommend it to anyone. I read it when I ws 11-12 years old and I'm 14 now. Yes, I was young but I started reading adult books early. My grandpa bought the book in a wal-mart when we were on vacation and never read it but I picked it up. I was drawn to it only because it's a memoir. It's written very intrestingly. It follows Nicholas Sparks and his brother, Micah ...more
Eman.
Sep 21, 2011 Eman. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
بالطبع لم تكن ثلاثة أسابيع عادية ..
كانت رحلة أسرة كتبت لها السعادة والتعاسة ..

رحلتين ربما يمكنني أن أقول ، رحلة لمدة ثلاثة أسابيع بين نيك و ميكا في
أرجاء العالم ، لزيارة الكثير من المعالم الطبيعية و التاريخية ..
ورحلة أسرة سباركس .. رحلة التنقّل و الإزدهار و الموت و البقاء ...
أن أجمل ما يعجبني في الكاتب نيكولاس أن يرويّ ، وعندما يبدأ لا يتوقف سرد الرواية حتى هو من
يضع النقطة ، وليس القارئ ، وحتى عندما يتعلق الأمر بكتابة عواطفه ، و مشاعره ،
وحتى طموحاته و وجهات نظره الشخصية يبدع في تناسق بين ال
Andrea
Oct 22, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Dreams are always crushing when they don't come true. But it's the simple dreams that are often the most painful, because they seem so personal, so attainable. You're always close enough to touch but never quite close enough to hold, and it always breaks your heart."

I loved this book. I felt like the content should've covered an entire lifespan and not half of one. The lessons and stories were inspiring and heartfelt. I found myself in tears at many parts, and I was fascinated by their travels
Katrice
This is actually the first book have read of Sparks. I mostly know of him as the guy who's books keep being made into romantic drama movies who's trailers never make them seem like something would enjoy (yes. That means have never watched any of the movies either).

So yeah, I began reading this book as a blank slate and with maybe. . . maybe just a little skepticism. I expected to do a lot of eye rolling. Well, much in the same way I did with Gilbert and Eat, Pray, Love, I found it readable beca
Ted Ryan
This was an enjoyable read. Not only does the book cover the Sparks' trip around the world, it ties in the lives of each men leading up to that trip. These two brothers had been through a lot in the life of their immediate family and had a lot of common heartache and sorrow.

I couldn't decide whether to give this book three or four stars. I settled on three. I just didn't love this book, I liked it. It was a bit of a roller coaster at times, valleys and peaks of emotion but it I never got a sense
Did you like this book? 24 87 Aug 20, 2014 12:28PM
Leserunde - Let's...: 9. Nah und Fern/ Three Weeks with My Brother 2 18 Sep 04, 2013 04:14AM
2013 Nicholas Spa...: * Discussion - Three Weeks with my Brother 2 21 May 03, 2013 07:32PM
  • Nicholas Sparks
  • Wokini: A Lakota Journey to Happiness and Self-Understanding
  • The Sunflower
  • Reader's Digest Select Editions, Volume 291, 2007 #3: Dear John / The Two Minute Rule / Can't Wait to Get to Heaven / A Whole New Life
  • A Handful of Heaven
  • Kitchen Privileges: A Memoir
  • Letters for Emily
  • Granny Dan
  • Harvesting the Heart
As a child, Nicholas Sparks lived in Minnesota, Los Angeles, and Grand Island, Nebraska, finally settling in Fair Oaks, California at the age of eight. His father was a professor, his mother a homemaker, then optometrist's assistant. He lived in Fair Oaks through high school, graduated valedictorian in 1984, and received a full track scholarship to the University of Notre Dame.

After breaking the N
More about Nicholas Sparks...

“Dreams are always crushing when they don't come true. But it's the simple dreams that are often the most painful because they seem so personal, so reasonable, so attainable. You're always close enough to touch, but never quite close enough to hold and it's enough to break your heart.” 2602 likes
“Never forget that anticipation is an important part of life. Work's important, family's important, but without excitement, you have nothing. You're cheating yourself if you refuse to enjoy what's coming.” 482 likes