Start by marking “Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood” as Want to Read:
Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood

Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  423 ratings  ·  40 reviews
No More Monday Morning Blues...

You're about to be liberated! Here is the book you've been waiting for-a-step-by-step guide to finding the "work" that expresses and fulfills your needs, talents, and passions. Using dozens of real-life examples, Marsha Sinetar shows you how to overcome your fears, take the little risks that make big risks possible, and become a person whose
Published March 4th 1989 by Dell

Eloquent Ruby by Russ OlsenLearned Optimism by Martin E.P. SeligmanThe Linux Programming Interface by Michael KerriskThe Panic-Free Pregnancy by Michael S. BroderFree-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy
Picks from Ruby Rogues
83rd out of 100 books — 2 voters
How to Win Customers by Heinz GoldmanHenderson on Corporate Strategy by Bruce D. HendersonGreat American Success Story by George Gallup Jr.Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got by Jay AbrahamFlow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
Brian Tracy recommends
12th out of 29 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Margaret
I've owned this book for years, have recommended it to many, and have NEVER read it.

I just finished and I think I may start again tonight, I liked it that much.

I think the strongest impression it left me with is the notion that yeah, being happy in your work is critical and attainable. It's not icing on cake....and being happy to 'just have a job' is not acceptable if you don't want it to be. Also, finding your true calling is noble and this 'vocational integration' can and is the root of much h
Rena
The idea and message of this book are great. I didn't find a whole lot of practical advice, personally. It was more of an inspirational read. And maybe that is my fault for thinking there would be practical advice. I also found it getting a lot into the psychology of why people do or do not pursue their passion. This might be the right book for some people, but for where I am at, I didn't find it very useful.
Staci
Beneath all the deep psychobabble that doesn't actually tell you how to go about doing what you love or really how to figure out what you love in the first place there are a few nuggets of insight and wisdom but they are unfortunately too few and far between to be worth much.
Jerrine Regester
I plucked this book off my bookshelf when needing a last minute read to take on a plane ride. This is not so much of a review as a highlight of a few of my favorite quotes and ideas. I see Marsha Sinetar has an updated version of this book (2011) but was curious to reread a book (1987) that meant something to me 25 years ago when I was trying to figure out my "right livelihood" and found myself drawn to Buddhism and the concept of "self-actualizing". I now use many of these concepts and ideas as ...more
Michael
I really enjoyed "Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow". More than some 'feel good' self-help pulp, Marsha Sinetar, Ph.D. (in Psychology) gives some solid, practical advice for finding one's true livelihood, and more importantly, having the guts (and the sense) to pursue that dream. Basically, it explains that most people 'miss their boat' because they've been conditioned to keep their aim nice and low. Nothing many other books have told us, undoubtedly, but Ms. Sinetar takes the reader somew ...more
Doris
What a great book! You have to take your time reading through to soak up all of the thoughts and concepts presented. I found this book at an important time in my life. I was having spurts of depression because I was in a job that was restrictive and had no way of moving up.

While working through this book I was able to identify my values and goals and find the courage to step through my fears to find fulfilling work and a more positive mindset on what work is supposed to be.

So many times i see
Lisa
I really enjoyed this book, it offered keen insight on ways to think and plan for building a new career in something that truly inspires you. It was relatively short but filled with very relevant and diverse stories of people following this journey. And it offered very practical steps to take to pursue the path over time....not a do this and get rich type of approach. I expect I'll be journalling ideas from this book for sometime and I recommend it to those searching for what to do next!
Elizabeth Lund
This is not a nuts-and-bolts book. It takes what I might call a "classic" psychological approach (more theoretical than research-based) to various psychological issues that may affect people's work (for instance, low self-esteem). The organization is pretty loose, and it never really answers the question of how the "money will follow." Great title and maybe the right book for some people, but not for me.
Erin
This was a good basic primer on aligning your dreams with reality & looking at vocation as more than just a forum to earn money. My Dad sent me a copy when I entered film school. It was probably the first time I really took a deeper look at what I spend my time doing, why, & how to create fulfillment & be financially abundant at the same time.
Bryan
This book had a few decent suggestions for introspective activities to help the reader get into the frame of mind to change but ultimately, at only 200 pages, the book could have been far shorter.
Teresa
Mar 29, 2008 Teresa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: one in need of a jump start or direction
Recommended to Teresa by: saw it; couldn't resist the title! :-)
When I was in graduate school the first time (back in the late 80's) I found this book while browsing the homemade shelves of a delightful "Mom and Pop" bookstore around the corner from my apartment. (Back in the day before B&N and mega-book stores and, yes, Amazon.)

It continues to find its way to my "to-read" book shelf for several reasons; as I have read and reread this book several times. Over the years, I periodically skim through it for its highlighted lines, dog-eared pages as well as
Chris Nunziato-Bonenfant
Excellent book for early career and mid career changers who can tolerate letting go of
common fears and ideas about work and money.
StoryTellerShannon
This is a good book when you're trying to get the inspiration or courage to change. It's very spiritual and "pick me up" which is something everyone needs before they take action.

That said, this book won't really help you in developing a plan of action towards that goal. If you want that, try Barbara Sher
or Zig Ziglar or Tony Robbins.

OVERALL GRADE: B to B plus.
Laura Lynch
This book is about discovering yourself and trying to determine a career path. Many of the examples were of people who stumbled upon their calling. The crux is self-analysis and believing in yourself once you have discovered your true interests. The author includes tips on banishing "shoulds", dealing with resistance and liberating yourself from an unfulfilling job.
Linda Atnip
At the time I read this, I was deeply inspired to follow the author's rules. Although I diligently applied them to my own life, my results never quite achieved the goals I had set. However, the information is on target and is very helpful in jump starting an individual when they feel stuck or at a crossroads in their life.
Lisa
I read this book at a critical time of transition in my life. It gave me the perspective and the courage to pursue my dream of going back to grad school to become a therapist. I recommend to clients who are unhappy in their vocational life, and who are in career transition.
Nancy
My mother bought this for me as I was completing college, and still didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up! It has led me to the path that I am now on. I would highly recommend this book!
Amy Barker
Thank you Aunt Lolee!! This book changed my life and helped me find my right livelihood, what I'm supposed to do with my life....now its just a matter of getting there.....
Rahadyan
Another artifact of my 20's. I'm sure I still have it -- I just have to re-skim through it to see if it's applicable to my late 40's and 50's.
Pete
The name of this is deceiving...more about finding your bliss and self-discipline than any sort of cheesy self-help pie-in-the-sky book.
Chris
Classic read about following your heart and your dreams in the realm of livelihood and career. A great foundation for living your truth.
Sandie
Good book. A lot of food for thought. But it's more like "If you can't do exactly what you love, love what you do."
Heidi
Although parts of the book were a little new-agey, overall I found the book to be an empowering and enlightening read.
Neilesha Lovestoworship
A Great book which helps you realize that work is not just to make a living,but should it be self expression.
Keith Clark
Not a lot of new information. Nothing really stood out as far as information I hadn't already heard before.
James
Might have been the time in my life that I read it. But shit just made sense. Nevermind the homo cover.
Angela Samuels
I have this on my real bookshelf. It's a good book to be inspired by your own unique ideas.
Cat
The book that introduced me to the concept of Right Livelihood. Imperfect but a good start.
Deb
The beginning chapters of this book was great. The last two chapters I didn't find as helpful.
Right Livelihood/Finding your passion 1 5 Apr 17, 2013 09:34AM
  • Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • The Aladdin Factor
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • Dreamer's Dictionary
  • Do What You Are : Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type
  • A Life at Work: The Joy of Discovering What You Were Born to Do
  • Recovery of Your Inner Child: The Highly Acclaimed Method for Liberating Your Inner Self
  • Back To Eden
  • Life Makeovers: 52 Practical & Inspiring Ways to Improve Your Life One Week at a Time
  • Real Moments: Discover the Secret for True Happiness
  • Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
  • Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
  • Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You've Probably Never Thought Of
Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery Elegant Choices, Healing Choices: Finding Grace and Wholeness in Everything We Choose To Build the Life You Want, Create the Work You Love: The Spiritual Dimension of Entrepreneuring The Mentor's Spirit: Life Lessons on Leadership and the Art of Encouragement Sometimes Enough Is Enough: Spiritual Comfort in a Material World