Start by marking “Coromandel Sea Change” as Want to Read:
Coromandel Sea Change

Coromandel Sea Change

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Blaise and Mary arrive at Patna Hall, a hotel on India's shimmering Coromandel coast, to spend part of their honeymoon. Patna Hall is as beautiful and timeless as India itself, ruled over firmly and wise by proprietor Auntie Sanni. For Mary it feels strangely like home.

In a week that will change the young couple's destiny, election fever grips the Southern Indian state and
Published January 1st 2007 by Pan MacMillan (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Coromandel Sea Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coromandel Sea Change

A Passage to India by E.M. ForsterThe Far Pavilions by M.M. KayeThe Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. FarrellThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyKim by Rudyard Kipling
Excellent Books about India and England
56th out of 184 books — 194 voters
A Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryThe Namesake by Jhumpa LahiriThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyThe White Tiger by Aravind AdigaInterpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
India: Fiction
84th out of 197 books — 211 voters

More lists with this book...

I love Rumer Godden. Her style charms me, and I mean that in the sense that I become enrapt in her magical bookscapes. Coromandel Sea Change is about an Englishwoman who goes to India on her honeymoon and becomes deeply involved in the local politics. It sounds like it would be about "real things" but it's really about inner things...falsehood and truth, and the nature of reality. The Indian background is dreamlike, almost mystical, and it makes a perfect contrast and backdrop for Mary's sharp, ...more
A nice story, charming even, marred unfortunately by glaring anachronisms. The book came out in 1991, but it's impossible to tell when the book is set. The main characters, uptight young British diplomat and his teenage bride, have a conflict of a kind that couldn't imaginably happen more recently than the 1960s. The election belongs to a time that could be any time after the invention of the helicopter, but before mobile phones. Late in the novel, one of the characters mentions that the hotel r ...more
Oct 12, 2007 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people seeking an unusual beach vacation
Shelves: mycuppa
The chief attraction of this book is its exotic locale -- a luxury seaside hotel in India. Godden is a master at capturing the essence of a place. Reading Coramandel Sea Change is probably the closest I'll ever come to lounging around a gorgeous resort.

This is also a story of sexual repression, which I believe was inspired by Rumer's first marriage to Lawrence Foster. It's impressive that she could conjure such bitter scenes years after her own disastrous honeymoon. She gives an interesting acc
Lightly entertaining but not one of her most interesting (Black Narcissus, The River). Takes place over one week in a hotel on the south east coast of India during a local election. Between the hotel staff and the guests, there are lots of characters and stories but the characters are a bit stereotypical (I had to wince when an American woman said something was "real fun") and the events a bit predictable. Interesting descriptions of the area, food, and politics but overall not much depth.
Disappointing. I fell in love with the author after reading In This House of Brede, but this book wasn’t on the same level at all. There is a certain lyrical quality to the writing but the content was lacking. There were also tones and themes I was disappointed to see from a Catholic author. Free spirits (including free love) seems to be the order of the day in this novel.
Tessa Sainz
Interesting - kind of liked the eye-opening of the main character to the world and to loving everyone and everything. It was interesting juxtaposed against the other character who only sees the world in how it can relate to himself. It kind of ended abruptly, like a throw away ending though and I didn't appreciate the 'bad' guy being beaten by having him accused of homosexuality and pedophilia (the pedophilia was possible, but unclear, but that doesn't relate to homosexuality and only really rel ...more
I would rather like to spend some time myself at Padna Hall. Having been there in mind if not in body for the last few days I can say that (the) Coromandel Sea Change has done me good.

Rumer Godden has created a world here that is timeless and in a way mysterious. The outside world does little to intrude upon the world at Patna Hall, although the residents listen to the news and read the papers. The indian election is ever so slightly farcicial (but aren't they all) with Krishnan the candidate i
Starts out slowly but rolls into quite a startling ending. I'd like to visit Patna Hall.
I had hoped to like this one more but sadly didn't. I can't quite put my finger on why but it may come from my own dislike of hot, humid, tropical climates. I suspect that colored my feeling for a story set in one.
Dawn Van Ness
I wasn't expecting to really love this book, but now that I have finished it, I actually want to reread it. There is enough going on the surface for anyone to enjoy it, but then there is another layer that is a bit philosophical, and then another that makes use of symbolism. Favorite Quote: Why to religions ever have to come with edges?
Enjoyed this book set in India during pre election times. It deals with the guests and staff at a smallish hotel. The guests are mostly if not all British, including a newly married couple whose marriage is clearly an oddity. I enjoy most of Rumer Godden's books and this was no exception.
The characterization in the book is excellent and her descriptions of the hotel and area in India make you feel as if you were there. I only gave it 4 stars because it was a bit disturbing and sad.
Mar 27, 2013 Lesley added it
Not one of the Goddens that I love, for whatever reason. Which is probably why I'd pretty much forgotten what it's about when I did this re-read, having picked up the recent re-issue in a sale.
Carol Eshaghy
Tuner Godden's books on India are always fascinating. This one features a newlywed couple, a political race and an unforeseen tradegy.
Mary Alice
A young woman has a life changing experience at an Indian seashore hotel. The sights and sounds of India with a tight story line.
This is a lovely, charming book. It's my first Rumer Godden, but it won't be my last.
Elizabeth Bradley
Gorgeous,but the pace and her unsparing eye keeps it from getting humid.
Just as I remembered: a sensual and heartbreaking catalyst.
Fantastic! My favourite of all her books. Just amazing.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Arshad Khan
Arshad Khan marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Becca added it
Oct 15, 2015
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • Towers in the Mist
  • Helsinki Noir
  • The Disappearance of Irene Dos Santos
She was born in Sussex, England, but grew up in India, in Narayanganj. Many of her 60 books are set in India. Black Narcissus was made into a famous movie with Deborah Kerr in 1947.

Godden wrote novels, poetry, plays, biographies, and books for children.

For more information, see the official website: Rumer Godden
More about Rumer Godden...