Start by marking “The Power Formula for Linkedin Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search” as Want to Read:

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  37 reviews
This simple, user-friendly guide explains how you can access the full power of LinkedIn--including advice on making lasting business connections, building a unique personal brand, and generating significant business opportunities.

Are you at a social-media disadvantage if you entered the business world before the rise of Facebook? Wayne Breitbarth argues that the opposite

Published March 1st 2011 by Greenleaf Book Group Llc

To ask other readers questions about The Power Formula for Linkedin Success, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power Formula for Linkedin Success

Wayne McCoy
'The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kickstart Your Business, Brand, and Job Search' by Wayne Breitbarth is a short introductory book on how to use th social media site. It's geared to users who are less internet, and social media, savvy. Think of it like a "Dummies Guide" which is by no means meant in a derogatory way.

Starting with logging in, just about all the basic ways to build out your LinkedIn profile are covered. Tips are given on keywords, and how many words can be used. Networking
Meg Elison
This book makes a handful of assumptions about the person who will read it. Raise your hand if you:

1. Don't know how to use the internet.
2. Can't follow the simple and intuitive directions on a very simplified site that desperately tries to make itself easy to use.
3. Do not understand how networking works or why it's important.
4. Are a thousand years old.

This book repeats the most absolutely basic information that LinkedIn provides about itself, and then works to justify it to people who are
Augie
I recently was provided an evaluation copy of The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success by Wayne Breitbarth. I expected to find that the book might be most helpful for those who are not yet fully engaged on LinkedIn, and that is, in fact, the case. That said, the book encouraged me--an experienced social media professional--to consider some LinkedIn features and applications more deeply and make a few tweaks to my own LinkedIn profile. I think most professionals will find something helpful to take ...more
loafingcactus
The person who doesn't "get" LinkedIn is often the same person who doesn't "get" personal branding and networking in general. And just because a younger person might be native to the social media architecture does not mean AT ALL that they get those second two points... but unfortunately the book only covers the mechanics of how to use LinkedIn.

The book is by a presumably successful salesperson who, I think, doesn't fully understand the value of his knowledge and experience. The book will walk
Crystal
The content of this book is clearly geared towards an older demographic with little internet experience - which is not me.

That being said, I was looking for basic information on how to more effectively use the LinkedIn account I signed up for years ago and never touched, and this book delivered. I particularly liked the step by step schedule for updating your account at the end of the book, very helpful.

It covers the basics and more, plus it is quick and easy to read. Great overview and informa
Lennette Daniels
The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success is a great book, especially for those of us who could not figure out how a social media device could be used for business networking and job searching. This book came at a great time for me. I had just attended a webinar and one of the presenters, a head hunter, said to use LinkedIn “to land the job of your dreams.” Of course, I couldn’t see how that would help. Like many, I had created a profile on LinkedIn but never got much further than my name and basic ...more
Stephanie Wolf
LinkedIn has been called “The world’s largest online business networking site.”

If you are a job seeker, or looking to promote your company, this book is for you.

Whether you have never used LinkedIn before, or have already created your profile, you need to use this important reference guide. Written in an easy to follow, almost step-by-step format, Wayne takes you from the very beginning of creating your profile, on up to what to do once you have it created. If you have never used LinkedIn before
Elizabeth
Every week I read a tremendous volume of material about social media tools, primarily the current Big Three: LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter. Much of it is helpful, interesting, and informative, but this book is all of that and so much more. In my opinion, the author has succeeded in making the book both user-friendly and quite advanced. That, in itself, is a commendable feat. It's truly a one-stop-shop for anyone who wants to leverage their presence and profile on LinkedIn. This second edition ...more
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
LinkedIn is the world's largest professional network with over 200 million members and growing rapidly. It is commonly known as "The Facebook for Businesspeople." LinkedIn helps you promote your products and/or services, to increase revenue, as a small business owner.

This book's purpose is to efficiently use LinkedIn to accomplish all your business goals. Learn why you should make a LinkedIn profile, and what the benefits are to having one. Some would refer to a LinkedIn profile as a "resume on
Joey Sudmeier
Definitely a good and thorough book. I would imagine it is all you need for any level of LinkedIn user you might be.

Keep that in mind as it intentionally does not alienate novice users. Therefore, most of us would find sections boring or redundant. Of course, that's what speed reading is for.

I found some good insight and while I already had an account I never really used it or understood how powerful LinkedIn can be. So if I have to read 150 pages of redundancy to get to some content that gets
Andrew
A little bit outdated and geared more toward beginners, I was still able to get a little bit out of it. I read Gary Vaynerchuk's Jab, Jab, Right Hook early in the year. He mentioned that he sees a huge potential for LinkedIn in the future. I am beginning to see why. It's a unique social media platform. In a world where your personal brand will become as important as a business brand, everybody will need to be on it. It's becoming my favorite social media platform.
Mark Warren
I found this book to be a waste of time that really only elaborates on everything the LinkedIn site walks you through anyway when you set up your profile. It does set the author up as a LinkedIn "Consultant," so it does that for him. Don't bother with this one - you can spend the gained time polishing your profile. I really don't like these sort of books.
Randy Daugherty
Having had a linked account for some time but never really using it and in part as due to the fact I wasn't quite sure how to utilize it.
This book was an excellent resource for making sure you filled out the profile to maximize it to the most.
Putting aside the fact that Breitbarth assume if you are older you have a phobia if the Internet and learning new ideas, or scared to post a picture to the profile, this was a great source of help.
While thorough in aiding one to feel out and use Linkedin, i
Julie
Picked it up on a whim at Barnes & Noble after someone encouraged me to kick up my job search by getting on LinkedIn (thanks, Bro). He explains very clearly and conversationally WHY and how to use LinkedIN, not only for your job-hunt, but to network in general for business. If you're selling insurance, houses or financial services, you should also be all over this great tool. The author is very clear about the best practices and dumb mistakes to avoid. I checked a few more books about Linked ...more
Leah Wescott
LinkedIn feels like a vast world of nothing to me, but I know I should figure out how to use it in a way that makes sense for my adventures. This was a pretty painless first step. I've got some trick to tuck up my sleeve now.
Steven
LinkedIn is a potentially powerful tool that allows users to build networks for businesses and more.
This particular book provides ways to get started with this network program for those who never had a chance to or too afraid to do so. With the help this book provides, businesses and jobs could grow in ways that you never thought possible.
At the same time, the book provides ideas that would and could be equally helpful to those who have been involved with LinkedIn for a lengthy amount of time.
Gwen
Jan 22, 2013 Gwen rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: career
Justification for star rating: I am not the demographic for this book. At all.

This book is for baby boomers and people who are just emerging on the social media scene. I'm sure that this book had good advice, but I don't need to know how to set up a LinkedIn profile--I need to know how to effectively optimize LinkedIn and how to write a killer profile that will net me job prospects. This book told me nothing I didn't already know from messing around on LinkedIn on my own.

Bottom line: read this
Anwer Qureishi
.....only for a complete beginner with technology and social platforms.
Shanna Chu
Maybe the version I read was older and lots of things he mentioned in the book I already know. For someone doesn't know much of LinkedIn, it might be better.
Sasa
I expected more from this LinkedIn introduction. This is geared towards the baby boomers group or maybe someone who doesn't do any social networking. There are some very helpful parts to it though so it wasn't a waste of time. I'm actually glad that I picked this up from the library just to make sure that I'm not missing out on what LinkedIn can offer. If you don't know anything about LinkedIn or has been hesitating on joining (like me) and don't know where to start, this book would be very help ...more
Julie Baylor
I'm not a new-comer to LinkedIn, but wanted to read a book by a LinkedIn expert to be sure I was utilizing it to the fullest. This book assumes its audience is in the 50+ age range and has a fear of social networking channels and technology. Fortunately, it was short and easy to read, and had several recommendations that I was able to immediately apply to my existing account. Overall, it is worthwhile if you can get past the fact that you may not fit the profile of the intended audience.
Angela Whiting
This was a great book that explains the importance of your profile on LinkedIn and teaches you how to build a powerful profile that will get you found. If you are serious about your career, you need to be doing the things outlined in this book because LinkedIn can help you be seen as an expert in your field. It also had a lot of useful information about LinkedIn tools that I didn’t even know existed and showed great new ways to connect with people you might otherwise never meet.
Julie Schoerke
I'm embarrassed to say that I had a Linkedin account for several years that, it turns out, that was completely pathetic. This is a fast read that can boost your professional profile if you even implement a fraction of the tips the author offers. In no time I "fixed" my profile and understood that Linkedin takes a little effort each week, but the pay-off can be huge! Great for professionals, those wanting to improve their personal "brand" or job-seekers.
Minh
The book is a great read for anyone who does not embrace LinkedIn as am important online tool to do business. It is even helpful to those who experienced the network already since the author showed audience some of the features that are widely ignored on LinkedIn and provided tips to optimize individuals' profiles to get the best results.

The book is about designing a strategy on LinkedIn, consistently sticking to the set strategy and being patient.
Martin
I wanted very much to know how to properly use this LinkedIn beast, and what to do with all these connection invites and how important recommendations are and if not having a complete profile was detrimental. So I picked up what was apparently the bible on the topic and laid all my questions to rest. The book was concise, informative, educational and excellent. Recommended for anyone who's had the questions above and more.
Edgar Mora-Reyes
Un libro sumamente pragmático, no por eso bueno o malo, simplemente es como es, interesante, práctico y útil.
La reflexión profunda no es parte del servicio, pero aporta ideas a manera de un manual con refuerzos.
Buen libro; en la página de internet del autor, vienen actualizaciones, lo cual es un gran plus.
Su debilidad está en la estrategia pero en general supera las expectativas.
Kent
For advanced LinkedIn users. Breitbarth explains the mechanics of tools and features that expand the powerful impact of using the professional networking social site. Guidance includes sound business and marketing reasons for making the extra effort to incorporate these tools into a LI profile.
Allison
As a college student, I think this book is a great way to help students get their foot in the door in the workplace. There are so many benefits to having a LinkedIn account, I think everyone should have one!
Sarah Fox
I recieved a free copy as part of Good Reads First Reads. I agree that the author makes assumptions about his target audience, which I am not part of. It was a good guide.
Shelley
This book has good practical information and is very easy to read and understand. I believe it is a must read for the job searcher in this day of technology.
  • Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0: How to Stand Out from the Crowd and Tap Into the Hidden Job Market Using Social Media and 999 Other Tactics Today
  • Etsy-Preneurship: Everything You Need to Know to Turn Your Handmade Hobby Into a Thriving Business
  • How to Write a KILLER LinkedIn Profile...and 18 Mistakes to Avoid
  • Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (and Other Social Networks)
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? 2013: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
  • The Successful Business Plan: Secrets & Strategies
  • Job Interviews For Dummies
  • Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want
  • The Entrepreneur Equation: Evaluating the Realities, Risks, and Rewards of Having Your Own Business
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • Make Your Contacts Count: Networking Know-How for Business and Career Success
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes & Stay Out of Trouble (Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own ... Keep Yourbooks, Pay Your Taxes, & Stay Ou)
  • One Simple Idea: Turn Your Dreams Into a Licensing Goldmine While Letting Others Do the Work
  • The Curious Researcher: A Guide to Writing Research Papers
Wayne Breitbarth is an experienced businessman, speaker, and author who has shared his passion for social media with thousands of business professionals through private business consulting and dynamic presentations to local and national audiences.

He owns M&M Office Interiors in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and leverages his entrepreneurial experience to educate businesspeople on how to use LinkedIn
More about Wayne Breitbarth...
The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success (Third Edition): Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search