Start by marking “Bridge to America” as Want to Read:
Bridge to America

Bridge to America

The year is 1920 and the setting is a shtetl, a small village in northern Poland, where Fivel and his family live in fear of the ruthless Cossacks and unpredictable pogroms. As he and his mother, brother, and sisters struggle to stay alive, nine-year-old Fivel is hungry, is cold, is a rascal, is goodhearted, longs for his father, and is afraid for their lives. Will the mon ...more
Published October 24th 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge to America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridge to America

Andrews1417
Nov 11, 2014 Andrews1417 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book my grandpa read it in one sitting,my grandma read it in one sitting, I final got it after I left it at their house then I read it, passed it to my mom her and I finished it in one sitting, then my brother who's not a big reader read it in one sitting and really enjoyed it. Love how it's based on a true story???
Bryn
Jun 05, 2014 Bryn rated it liked it
It was okay. Some parts were really enjoyable while some just dragged on.
Michelle
Feb 02, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
Great story but the book could have been written better
ReadingJungle.com
Jun 03, 2010 ReadingJungle.com rated it really liked it
Author Linda Glaser presents a beautiful and heartfelt portrait of the life of a member in her community that inspired her to share his story. By giving readers an in-depth look at the conditions of life for immigrants that made it to freedom in America, she presents key themes of cultural awareness and appreciation throughout this novel.
Read more on www.ReadingJungle.com or find us on facebook: www.facebook.com/ReadingJungle
Makayla
Apr 19, 2013 Makayla rated it really liked it
I think it was a beautiful but horrifying tale of the hardships many Jews faced during this time period. It was fascinating to hear a story from someone you lived through this. Fivel demonstrates the lives of so many who was physically and emotionally hurt. But the reuniting of Fivel's family really was the reward to a immigrant. It taught me a lesson; I need to embrace the new cultures brought to America each day! Read it!
Dotty
Jan 22, 2011 Dotty rated it really liked it
I am Fivel. My mother and siblings, we live in a hut. We have been waiting for Pa to send money from America so we can get away from the brutal Cossacks. Today the mail wagon brought a package. It is a framed photograph of Pa. Mama is angry. We can't eat a picture! But then I see something hidden in the frame. It is green. Maybe this is the money from Pa.
Kevin
Jan 17, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Great book.
Mary
Sep 10, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-readers
A true story of a Polish boy and his family who lived through pogroms and the Cossacks to be rewarded by immigrating to America. Fivel...later to become "Phil"...was a real boy whose father saved for seven years working as a rag seller in the Duluth, MN area to finally bring his family to America.
B
Oct 07, 2008 B rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-boy, j-historical
A very poor Polish family waits to hear from the father who has emigrated to America. Stories from this Jewish shetl are warm, but also frightening when soldiers come to their town. Both sad and joyous, the description of life in a 1920's Polish town are unforgettable.
Lola
May 25, 2009 Lola rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK BECAUSE IT IS A CLASSIC NOVEL THAT IS REALLY A SAD STORY THAT HAS TO DO WITH WAR, IMMIGRATION, POVERTY AND MUCH MORE. SO IF YOU LIKE ALL THAT YOU SHOULD TRY THIS BOOK.
Tolin
Here is a hopeful novel that creates an unforgettable portrait of a family bridging of two different worlds. Great to use in a 5th grade or higher classroom when talking about immigration.
Dtroygb
Mar 13, 2012 Dtroygb rated it really liked it
Bridge to America was a wonderful story about the struggles and the life of this oy who had suffered for weeks and months. This is a good book for people who like suspense.
BookOfLife
Aug 02, 2007 BookOfLife added it
Shelves: podcasted
Hear an interview about Bridge to America with author Linda Glaser and subject Phil Myzel on The Book of Life podcast's July 2006 episode at www.jewishbooks.blogspot.com.
Micchon
Aug 05, 2011 Micchon rated it liked it
This was NOT that bad for some old historical book! It really, to my surprise, was NOT that dull! It made a pretty good story I guess...
Sheryl
Jan 20, 2009 Sheryl rated it liked it
Fair historical fiction. The story line was a little weak, but the concept and true circumstances were interesting.
Page Judge
May 10, 2016 Page Judge rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, except i really didnt like how fifal became selfish
Sarah W
Dec 04, 2009 Sarah W rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK LOOKS GOOD ALSO. THEY ALL DO!!!!!!!!
Has anyone else read it?
Linda
Sep 25, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
A great historical fiction for boys. Lots of adventure.
Maryann
Dec 19, 2011 Maryann rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book!
Fatima Gbane
Fatima Gbane marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Stephanie Rowe
Stephanie Rowe rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Shanlykam
Shanlykam marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Cathy
Cathy added it
Feb 16, 2016
Hannah Parker
Hannah Parker rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016