Start by marking “Bridge to America” as Want to Read:
Bridge to America

Bridge to America

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The year is 1920 and the setting is a shtetl, a small village in northern Poland, where Fivel and his family live in fear of the ruthless Cossacks and unpredictable pogroms. As he and his mother, brother, and sisters struggle to stay alive, nine-year-old Fivel is hungry, is cold, is a rascal, is goodhearted, longs for his father, and is afraid for their lives. Will the mon ...more
Published October 24th 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge to America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridge to America

The Immigrant and the Golden Coin by Dorothy May MercerThe Joy Luck Club by Amy TanInterpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa LahiriUnaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa LahiriThe Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Immigrant Voices - Fiction
152nd out of 197 books — 134 voters
The Joy Luck Club by Amy TanThe Namesake by Jhumpa LahiriThe House on Mango Street by Sandra CisnerosThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniInterpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
Immigrant Experience Literature
492nd out of 517 books — 703 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna
Young Fivel walks home from school one day, and finds a rich-looking man in his house, urging his mother to give him up. His mother refuses, much to Fivel's relief. But he, nor his family, can forget him. Fivel then struggles to be "better", so his mother won't give him up. His father is in America.
After long waiting, a package arrives. Inside it is money - Fivel and his family can finally go to America! Fivel gets a birthday, new clothes, and a new name - Phil. Teased constantly, Phil at first
Andrews1417
I loved this book my grandpa read it in one sitting,my grandma read it in one sitting, I final got it after I left it at their house then I read it, passed it to my mom her and I finished it in one sitting, then my brother who's not a big reader read it in one sitting and really enjoyed it. Love how it's based on a true story???
Bryn
It was okay. Some parts were really enjoyable while some just dragged on.
ReadingJungle.com
Author Linda Glaser presents a beautiful and heartfelt portrait of the life of a member in her community that inspired her to share his story. By giving readers an in-depth look at the conditions of life for immigrants that made it to freedom in America, she presents key themes of cultural awareness and appreciation throughout this novel.
Read more on www.ReadingJungle.com or find us on facebook: www.facebook.com/ReadingJungle
Makayla
I think it was a beautiful but horrifying tale of the hardships many Jews faced during this time period. It was fascinating to hear a story from someone you lived through this. Fivel demonstrates the lives of so many who was physically and emotionally hurt. But the reuniting of Fivel's family really was the reward to a immigrant. It taught me a lesson; I need to embrace the new cultures brought to America each day! Read it!
Dotty
I am Fivel. My mother and siblings, we live in a hut. We have been waiting for Pa to send money from America so we can get away from the brutal Cossacks. Today the mail wagon brought a package. It is a framed photograph of Pa. Mama is angry. We can't eat a picture! But then I see something hidden in the frame. It is green. Maybe this is the money from Pa.
Kevin
Great book.
Mary
A true story of a Polish boy and his family who lived through pogroms and the Cossacks to be rewarded by immigrating to America. Fivel...later to become "Phil"...was a real boy whose father saved for seven years working as a rag seller in the Duluth, MN area to finally bring his family to America.
B
A very poor Polish family waits to hear from the father who has emigrated to America. Stories from this Jewish shetl are warm, but also frightening when soldiers come to their town. Both sad and joyous, the description of life in a 1920's Polish town are unforgettable.
Lola
I LOVE THIS BOOK BECAUSE IT IS A CLASSIC NOVEL THAT IS REALLY A SAD STORY THAT HAS TO DO WITH WAR, IMMIGRATION, POVERTY AND MUCH MORE. SO IF YOU LIKE ALL THAT YOU SHOULD TRY THIS BOOK.
Tolin
Here is a hopeful novel that creates an unforgettable portrait of a family bridging of two different worlds. Great to use in a 5th grade or higher classroom when talking about immigration.
Dtroygb
Bridge to America was a wonderful story about the struggles and the life of this oy who had suffered for weeks and months. This is a good book for people who like suspense.
BookOfLife
Aug 02, 2007 BookOfLife added it
Shelves: podcasted
Hear an interview about Bridge to America with author Linda Glaser and subject Phil Myzel on The Book of Life podcast's July 2006 episode at www.jewishbooks.blogspot.com.
Micchon
This was NOT that bad for some old historical book! It really, to my surprise, was NOT that dull! It made a pretty good story I guess...
Sheryl
Fair historical fiction. The story line was a little weak, but the concept and true circumstances were interesting.
Sarah W
THIS BOOK LOOKS GOOD ALSO. THEY ALL DO!!!!!!!!
Has anyone else read it?
Linda
A great historical fiction for boys. Lots of adventure.
Maryann
I really enjoyed this book!
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Jodi Jenkins
Jodi Jenkins marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Sylviane Stoltzman
Sylviane Stoltzman marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty It's Fall Hannah's Way Not a Buzz to Be Found: Insects in Winter Wonderful Worms