Start by marking “Ghost Country” as Want to Read:
Ghost Country

Ghost Country (Travis Chase #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,478 ratings  ·  257 reviews
For decades, inexplicable technology has passed into our world through the top secret anomaly called the Breach.

The latest device can punch a hole into the future . . .

What Paige Campbell saw when she opened a door into seventy years from now scared the hell out of her. She and her Tangent colleagues brought their terrible discovery to the President—and were met with a hai
Published December 28th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Country

Mike (the Paladin)
Well....I'd written a lot on this review. And then it vanished.

sigh.

Lets start over. As I said in the review that vanished, I like this book. This one picks up some time after the end of the last book. As we open... as you might expect, another catastrophic event is in the offing, the Breach and the things from it(of course) touch on it.

The book (or the idea behind it) is, while not totally original (what is) very original in the way it's used and presented. Among the things in the novel(s) the
Mike (the Paladin)
Well....I'd written a lot on this review. And then it vanished.

sigh.

Theresa
Even though I named my blog "Fantasy & SciFi Lovin'" I love thrillers as well. Combine the two, and it's like the perfect peanut-butter/chocolate combination. So "The Breach," the first book in Patrick Lee's new series, was a real treat for me. I couldn't wait to get my hands on "Ghost Country" and, just like the first book, it didn't take me long to tear my way through Lee's latest offering.

The Good: There's a lot to like about "Ghost Country." Patrick Lee is a writer that knows how to wri
Gregory
I really thought that there was no way that Lee could follow up his first book with anything remotely as interesting or well-written, and yet there's another five orange stars plastered next to his name.

Again, this is another nod to action sci-fi shows like Fringe and X-Files, but Lee writes with such perfect pacing, and in such a breezy, fluid, and enthralling way that he pulled me in better than any television show, or even any other sci-fi book, ever managed. The characters are great (though
Alex
GHOST COUNTRY (Pub. 2011) by Patrick Lee is the second book in a 3-book series, and I liked this one even more than the first one, which was great. I could not stop reading!

Inexplicable advanced technology has passed into our world through a super-secrete anomaly known as The Breach. In Book #1 of the series, we saw Travis Davis and Paige Campbell fighting for control of a gadget known as Whisper.

Book #2 has our hero and heroine fighting against the clock and wrong-headed politicians to save t
Mercutio
It's better than the first one, I think. Everything doesn't come around in an elegant spiral, so the sense of mystery is greater. And the threats are greater, as well. In the first book, the villain is mostly toying with them (for plot reasons, but it still makes for dull reading). In this one, the villains are hardcore, ready to kill, and the fate of the world is at stake.

The story is about the discovery of a device that can show the future. Only one future, the exact future that was extant whe
Steven Mclain
Sometimes I think these stars don't quite do book reviews credit. For instance, I rated "Ghost Country" by Patrick Lee the same as I rated something like "Hunchback of Notre Dame." Are the two books comparable? Not really. One is about 19th century France, inequality, religion, secularity, burgeoning revolution and the eponymous hunchback. The other is about time-travel, shadowy quasi-government cabals of murderous (but very humanely murderous) aid workers. Yep, Doctors Without Borders goes psyc ...more
Katy
Please Note: I read and reviewed this book Feb. 2011 from a copy I received from the Amazon Vine program.

My Synopsis: This book is the sequel to The Breach. After the events in that book, Travis Chase has left Tangent in order to try to prevent future events that were predicted in The Breach. However, when events collude to cause Bethany Stewart - a member of Tangent - to call Chase back to help, he comes. She shows him a new Entity that recently came through the Breach - this one punches a hole
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

It has been two years since ex-cop and ex-con Travis Chase has stumbled across the shadow government agency known as Tangent, purportedly by accident in the wilds of Alaska. Two years since he has discovered the mysterious entity known as “the Breach”, a result of the VLIC particle collider that has opened a portal to a different reality. Two years since he has walked away from the woman he loves and a job at which he is perfectly matched – all because he
Irena
I loved this book. Apart from being a great fast-paced thriller, it has a touch of romance too.
From the first book: some thirty years ago something like a portal opened and the scientists gave it a name - the Breach. Every now and then various objects come through it. Some of them are bad and some are good. Tangent, a secret organization, was created to collect and analyse those objects. This book deals with an object which shows a future (deliberate use of a). Paige went to show the object to t
Reed
Rizwan
The one thing that came to my mind after finishing the book and even while reading, was: UNEXPECTEDNESS. Now, I'm not saying it was unexpectedly good, because after the awesome The Breach, I was expecting a good yarn, and it turned out to be GREAT. And if Breach gave me any indication, I was also expecting all kinds of unpredictable twist and turns of the story, so that was not much unexpected at all. No, the real unexpectedness would come from the buildup of the story itself.

I wrote in my Brea
Joe
I first read this book based on a quote from James Rollins on the front cover of the book. Being that Rollins is one of my all time favorite writers, I had to pick it up. And I have to agree with Rollins..."Brilliant". The nervous energy was flowing through with every page I turned. The idea for this book obviously stems from Lee's first book, Breach (which I have yet to read - picking it up ASAP), but was easy to follow as a story all it's own. If you like action and adventure mixed in with sci ...more
John Onoda
While I don't think this book quite reaches the levels of brilliance and audaciousness trumpeted by the review quotes from famous authors you'll find on the cover, this is a lean, smart and imaginative story with a strong science-fiction element sitting at the center of a conspiracy thriller. The main characters are standard but serviceable protagonists for this sort of book. What's compelling is the way the characters (both bad and good) intelligently use the sci-fi device to try to out-think a ...more
D
This is the second book in the Travis Chase series. It's not quite as good as the first book in the series, "The Breach," but it's still a 5 star action packed page turner. There's one cliff hanger after another that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

It's as action packed as a Jack Reacher or James Bond story, but with a supernatural twist and a great on-again, off-again relationship tension between the two protagonists.

This book takes place mostly in the DC area, but with trips to other plac
Tom
Not sure where the "Travis Chase" novels are going in terms of series length. This could be the second book of three? Or second of thirty? The "breach" provides opportunity for saving the world over and over, so who knows how many novels we might see?

I really like the premise - lots of time travel and multi-universe conundrums that provide surprises but manage to avoid getting convoluted.

I did have a hard time swallowing the bad-guys' motivation in this story and an even harder time swallowing
Brigit Zelenak
Ghost Country definitely had its strong points – the science was interesting, seemed plausible, and there certainly wasn’t a lack of suspense or intrigue. That said, this offering was still sub-par in comparison to the other two Patrick Lee novels I’ve read.

Most of this is down to a plethora of long, overly drawn-out action sequences. At times it felt tedious; like one long run-on cliff hanger with no end in sight. And while action can and should be a good thing, and is certainly expected in th
Jeremy
More of the same great pacing and out-there sci-fi that made The Breach such a good read.
Kris
If I ever design a timehole, it will have more expansive user options.

Josh
I was pleasantly surprised by the first book in this series (The Breach) and Patrick Lee hit his stride in the follow up. The blend of action, sci-fi, mystery, and race against time plays out well. Lee isn't a master of literary prose, but he knows how to keep a reader engaged. He does a great job of giving the reader just enough plot development, suspense, and ratchets up the action at just the right times. Some authors keep the reader guessing throughout the whole novel, but Lee lets the reade ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Usually with every trilogies or sagas there is also the possibility that the second book will drag on and give nothing and you will feel empty and without patience to start the third book. That's the evil in the second book - or to be more precise the Middle book Syndrome. It's a real thing... read this article "http://www.bookbrats.com/middle-book-..."

But this particular book that doesn't happen. I will not dwelt on the synopsis (read the review of the first book). This book starts two years af
Patrick Gibson
This is the second in what will hopefully be a very long series of "Breach" novels by Lee. If you haven't read "The Breach", then this book won't make a lot of sense, so be sure to read that book first.

Travis Chase and Paige Campbell return from where they left off in "The Breach", with Travis working an obscure third-shift job and Paige still at Tangent. An artifact opens a portal into the future, and that future isn’t the best one could imagine. In fact, there doesn't seem to be anybody left.
Janeen
High 4 stars. I liked the first book, but I wasn't sure about the way it ended, and I thought I could see the arc that was being set up for this second novel. And I wasn't sure I liked where things seemed to be going. Well, I was completely wrong about where this book would head, and I ended up loving it more than the first! The story is so exciting, and I was just dying to learn more and find out the cause of the insanity that is the plot. I hate to talk it up too much because my experience of ...more
Denise
4.0 out of 5 stars Fun sequel - sci-fi thriller..., December 6, 2010

This review is from: Ghost Country (Mass Market Paperback)

This exciting follow up to The Breach reads like a movie script and I could see the action sequences and the main characters on the big screen as I turned the pages. A worthy sequel, Mr. Lee takes the characters on an incredible adventure following their discovery of a dead city filled with dusty bones.

Travis, Paige and Bethany used the cylinder to time travel to Yuma, Ar
CJ
The latest discovery from Tangent gives a view into the future. The terrifyingly-soon future is revealed as an entity lets its users in on a look into a barren North America. The biggest shocker comes when they realize the date it is supposed to happen. What could make in just a few months such disaster that it would cause the country's downfall? And what must they do to prevent it from happening?

This book is mostly well-made and I did enjoy it but one small problem I had with it was that in my
Trunatrschild
I hate books that you can't put down. I didn't read the first one, but it's pretty stand alone. There's been a site hidden from the public since the 70's, called Tangent that produces alien artifacts and one of them shows the future 70 years from December and there's no one alive. Paige shows it to the president and then her whole group, except her, is assassinated and the rush is on to stay alive and publicize that the world is ending.
Not a book that will be a keeper, but definitely a fun and
Dianne
“Ghost Country” by Patrick Lee
I believe that it is in the readers’ best interest to read “The Breach” before this novel, as you might find yourself questioning quite a bit or even confused, without the background the first novel gives you. This book is a mixture of several styles – sci-fi/mystery/action adventure/thriller that is all rolled up into one neat and tasty package.
Ghost country starts about two years after the ending of “The Breach”. Travis Chase had just received a message from the
Armand
Sep 23, 2011 Armand rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: techno-thriller fans, alien story fans
Another smart alien technology thriller by Patrick Lee. It's a fun ride with furious pacing and nice (but overwhelming) technical edge to it. It can be read as a stand alone novel, but works better if you read the first book in the series (The Breach). Lee is at his best when puzzling over how crazy alien technologies might be used in our present time.

I really like it, but I have a few quibbles. 1. There is a lack of minorities in the book which is funny charge to level at a thriller, but it's t
John
Nice sequel to "The Breach" -- introduced some cool new artifacts, and the flash-forward future storyline was engaging and intriguing. Some very interesting sociological aspects as well, and the "bad deeds perpetrated in the name of better outcomes" was thought-provoking.

I enjoyed being treated to Lee's desolate, post-apocalyptic, could-be future world view, complete with "zombies" (of sorts, yet not really). Definitely some good stuff going on from a story idea perspective, executed with some f
Tim Busbey
Last year, I reviewed “The Breach,” the first book in Patrick Lee’s series of sci-fi thrillers. Earlier this year, I finally got around to reading the second book, “Ghost Country” and it was well worth the wait.

“Ghost Country” picks up the story of the shadow agency known as Tangent and the mysterious objects that pass through the anomaly known as The Breach. The book opens as Tangent member Paige Campbell and other members of her team leave the White House after presenting the president with i
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • Leviathan (Event Group Adventure, #4)
  • Maximum Violence (Arisen, #4)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
There is more than one author with this name

Patrick Lee was born in west Michigan in 1976.He started writing by working on screenplays but eventually moved to novel writing.
More about Patrick Lee...
The Breach (Travis Chase, #1) Runner (Sam Dryden, #1) Deep Sky (Travis Chase, #3) Signal (Sam Dryden, #2)

“Travis considered the larger one below it. A file drawer. Was it even worth bothering with? What could have been in it but paper? What could be in it now but an inch-deep layer of mold dust?

He opened it.

It contained an inch-deep layer of mold dust.”
6 likes