Start by marking “Under Her Skin” as Want to Read:
Under Her Skin

Under Her Skin

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  3,079 ratings  ·  155 reviews
Three short stories of paranormal romance: "Pack" brings you a tale of a lost hiker and her encounter with some very frightening--and sexy--wolves. A female werewolf helps a sheriff track down a killer "In Sheep's Clothing." A woman must repay her family's debt to a shapeshifting magician in "Grace of Small Magics." These stories previously appeared in print in Mammoth Boo...more
Published October 9th 2010 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Under Her Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Her Skin

Lady Jaye
Pack - 3 stars
This is Jeaniene Frost's novellita, a tale of a girl bitten by a werewolf while on a hike in the park. It was a good story while it lasted, but very forgettable after that.

In Sheep's Clothing - 4 stars
Meljean Brook's contribution was a rather sweet story about a werewolf who was abducted by a highway killer *shudders*. It wasn't bad at all, although I did notice that the werewolf acted more like a friendly domestic dog than like a werewolf :) Also a rather forgettable story.

Grace...more
Zeek
Short stories. ::sigh::

Only read Frost's and Andrews's and both were good, but- TOO DAMN SHORT. :(

Frost’s entry is about a young woman lost while hiking, suddenly having her world turned upside down by a werewolf bite. She’s shifter now- but one thing might make this okay with her- she’s found she has a mate, and he was her’s at first sight.

Andrew’s goes into a world of shifters and magic with a different twist- the heroine is indentured to the hero and she must use her magic to protect him in...more
Calisto
In case you might have missed it (and I totally did) this is three short stories that were previously published under The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance. Didn't matter for me tho, since I avoid mammoth anything. Now I have to admit that this was an impulse buy. I was on a high from Kate Daniels, saw Ilona's name and the price was right.

Unfortunately, this trio starts off with Jeaniene Frost's Pack. I consider this the weakest story. Three things bothered me: 1stPOV, annoying heroine, the "M...more
willaful
Three short, standalone paranormal romance stories involving shapeshifters. The first two are decently written but on the bland and forgettable side. Andrews' story has somewhat weird world-building -- another reviewer called it cheesy, which works -- but was the only one with any emotional intensity.
Shannon C.
Very good paranormal short story collection! The Andrews story was my fav, but all three were entertaining reads.

These stories also appeared in the Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance. I didn't read them earlier, b/c it was so expensive and quite a few of the stories in that collection had mediocre ratings. Just didn't seem worth the $$. I was very excited to see three of the better rated stories republished as an ebook for only $2.99.
Cindy
3 contemporary paranormals, involving werewolves & shape shifters. No sex.

Jeaniene Frost - 3 stars. This was a good story, but waaaay too short! Ended abruptly. I would have given it at least 4 stars if it had been fleshed out more.

Meljean Brook - 3 stars. Again, too short. I liked it, but ended too soon.

Ilona Andrews - 4 stars. The best story in the book. Somehow they managed to get a complete story out of a too short format.

These 3 authors are some of my favorites. They all had potent...more
This was a fantastic 99 cent deal. At 236 pages it was as long as a full length book, and I enjoyed all 3 short stories. All 3 stories were originally published in 2009's The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance. But did we really need a teenager on the cover of this collection?

The first story, Pack by Jeaniene Frost, is 88 pages long and the story of Marlee, a paralegal who is fulfilling her dream of hiking in Yellowstone National Park. After her hiking companions become injured and leave, she de...more
After getting into the 3rd story of this book (Grace of Small Magics - Ilona Andrews), I realized that I had read this before. I think perhaps I did take the Mammoth Book of PNR (previous publication of these stories) from the library, I just didn't remember it. That book was so spotty, I didn't enjoy all of it... don't think I even read everything. With this small, 3-story anthology, all by writers that I know and love, I decided to purchase for my Kindle to have as my very own.

The first story...more
Stacey
Well. I'm pretty stunned.Of all the hundreds of reviews of this book everyone gives it a 4 or a 5. I must be missing something pretty major here.

I could say that maybe this trio of paranormal romance wasn't my thing. That said, I do adore paranormal romance. What I don't adore is sloppy writing and even though these were short stories, that is what came across. Two of the stories involved women being kidnapped and then throwing their clothes off for their respective kidnappers. the second story...more
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
These short stories were in The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance. I'd also read Grace of Small Magics before on the Ilona Andrews website. At the Kindle price its a little less than $1 per story, and I think its a fair price. I'll re-read these again.

Grace of Small Magics by Ilona Andrews - I really love this story; believable characters, very alpha male with feisty heroine who doesn't know just how powerful she really is. Great action and romance.

In Sheep's Clothing by Meljean Brook - This...more
Jae
Only Jeaniene Frost's story was worth reading here. And since it was my very first shape-shifting read, I was very much relieved that I didn't hate it too much. And was even glad that I made a bit of allowance for this one, being a JF's story and all.

Pity it was too short and I would love for a more bad-ass actions. Still, can't say that I'll be picking up another shape-shifting book in the near future.
Lexxie
I loved, loved, loved the Jeanine Frost story! excellent writing, captivating story, and a very cute heroine. The other stories were good as well, not often a small selection of short-stories actually all appeal to me, often, I only read one, and can't finish the others, I devoured this whole book in just a few hours today, though.
Merve  Özcan
Ben bunu okudum ama unutmuşum. Artık ne olmuşsa... şimdi tekrar okuyorum. Hoşuma gitmişti. iyi oldu. kısacık zaten.

Yorum da geldi...
Claire
An excellent trio of stories by talented authors. Each story was self-contained and resolved, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would welcome anything else the author wanted to write in that particular world.

I'm already a fan of Brook and Andrews and now I'm going to have to check out Frost as well. More for the TBR mountain!

ETA: Another reviewer mentioned that Andrews' story reminded them of Howl's Moving Castle (the film) and I completely agree in the best way possible. It doesn't feel li...more
Paige
The Jeaniene Frost story is built up really well for a short story. I really liked it. The story really flowed.
This story is about a girl's hiking vacation gone wrong--wildly wrong--when she is attacked by wolves. The story doesn't waste much story on the actual attack but builds on the tension of her rescue and having to be captive until she heals. The only problem I had was I didn't want this story to end. I really hope that Jeanniene Frost wants to take this short story and make it into a bo...more
Lizz
"Pack" by Jeaniene Frost- 3.5 stars

In Pack, we meet Marlee who, while hiking alone, gets attacked by werewolves. She's rescued from her attackers by Daniel, who also happens to be a werewolf. Marlee is taken back to the town the pack lives in while they wait to see if Marlee is going to chane at the full moon.

While she's stuck waiting, Daniel is guarding her to make sure she doesn't escape. There is attraction between the two, which Marlee attributes to Stockholm syndrome, but Daniel thinks is b...more
Melindeeloo
I dug this out to read Grace of Small Magics again after reading Andrews' upcoming Burn For Me - I was wondering if the two stories were set in the same world since they both have dynasties of magic users, the answer is I don't think they are, but this story is still great even on the third read. Though it always does leave wanting more. I love Andrews' short stories - it is amazing how much character development and worldbuilding they can fit into such a minimal number of words, their stories a...more
T.F.
Amy A
I rarely read short stories. Nothing against them, but I prefer to read novels. One of the main reasons that I decided to give this a try is for the three authors. I absolutely love Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, and I've recently come across and enjoyed Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. I've not read anything by Meljean Brooks yet, but I've read reviews about her Iron Seas series and it is on my TBR list.

Each of these stories, however, are stand-alones and do not conincide with any...more
Lynda Tatad
I bought this anthology as it has authors whose books I enjoy!

Jeanienne Frost takes a break from her vampire stories, and introduces a werewolf story in "Pack", where a woman lost in the woods gets attacked by wolves, and thinks she's halucinating when one changes to a naked man. Enjoyed this story, looking forward to seeing of Ms. Frost will dabble some more with werewolf stories!

Meljean Brook has a young woman returning to her hometown where she had been bitten by a werewolf 5 years before. B...more
Jenne
This is a short collection of 3 novellas. The first one is by Jeaniene Frost and is about a girl attacked by werewolves in Yellowstone Park. The pack keeps her until the full moon to see if she'll change. The man watching over her turns out to be her mate. Believe it or not this was my least favorite.

The second story is by Meljean Brook and is about a girl who is already a werewolf. She's on her way home for a vist. While driving through a rural area a serial killer attempts to make her...more
Turtles
There were three good stories in this book. Each of the authors has experience writing and was adept at creating a short story. I don't think any of the stories suffered too badly being short and they had concise plots.

PACK by Jeaniene Frost is about a girl lost in her life and lost in the woods. She is attacked by wolves, but saved by another. While awaiting her fate in the "wolf village" she is watched over by the pack enforcer. I thought this was the weakest of the stories since it wasn't tha...more
Dee Haddrill
I'm going to review each short story as I finish.

I got this book because of Jeaniene Frost. Her story is called "Pack" and is about a woman who gets caught by a pack of werewolves and is then forced to stay with them so that she can't reveal their existence. I didn't enjoy it as much as her "Grave" series, but still liked it and would be interested if she continued the series.

"In Sheep's Clothing" by Meljean Brook. I don't think I've ever read anything by Ms Brook, but I can tell you that I def...more
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
I realize I have to be more lenient when judging short stories. It's more difficult to connect with the characters or build a suspenseful story line with such a limited amount of words. I try to keep that in mind so that I'm fair. Creativity isn't optional though, and surprisingly Jeaniene Frost's story was lacking the most in imagination. We should all be extra thankful that she chose vampires instead of werewolves ;) The story was very basic and predictable. An unfortunate incident causes a wo...more
Jill
three different stories, three different authors.
Pack - jeaniene frost
Loved this story. Marlee is hiking and lost in Yellowstone national park and gets attacked by a pack of wolves. But these are no ordinary wolves and marlee finds her self injured and being held captive by werewolve enforcer Daniel. She cannot deny her attraction to Daniel even though her world is being turned upside down, will she turn furry? Will she see her family again?
I really wish this story would be elaborated, I want m...more
Danielle Barclay
This is a great compilation of novellas!

Frost's writing style is very different in Pack, but I loved the setting in a remote wilderness community. A lost hiker's life is forever changed after being bitten by a werewolf. Centered on the protagonists journey of self discovery, Frost created a brand new world filled with intriguing characters that I'd like to see more of!

Brook's story, In Sheep's Clothing, felt a like a noir mystery in which we follow a female werewolf and her estranged lover (&...more
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Under Her Skin is a paranormal romance anthology by various artists.

Pack by Jeaniene Frost was awesome and I just want more. This story is about Marlee and Daniel. Marlee is a lost hiker who's attacked by wolves. (view spoiler)...more
Catherine_bones Chapitre 32
Pack est une nouvelle de Jeaniene Frost, parut dans l’e-anthologie : Under her skin.

Voici le topo : Une jeune femme : Marlee décide, après une rupture de ne plus jamais remettre les choses au lendemain, de prendre sa vie en main et de tenter la grande aventure de la vie. Elle veut sortir de sa routine et tout ce la commence par une expédition pédestre au parc du Yellowstone, grand projet qu’elle repousse depuis des années. Accompagnée de deux de ses amis, elle part camper dans l’immense parc. M...more
The first short story was just okay. But I have very, very strong opinions about the whole shapeshifter thing, and this contained some details that bugged me and didn't have as much of Frost's trademark snappy dialogue. My verdict for "Pack" is probably 2.5 stars. She's so good at what she does in her Night Huntress series, but this story didn't work for me. This one is also the most overtly romancey of the three--the other two are more on the urban fantasy side of the scale.

Read contribution #2...more
Tania
"Under Her Skin" is a paranormal romance anthology by Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews and Meljean Brook. I would call this anotholgy a light romance. Chemestry was good between all the characters but there are no actual sex scenes in any of the stories...more of a "fade to black" and you are left imagining what happens next.

Jeaniene Frost's story "Pack" was very good. I found myself wanting to know more about the main characters though, like the story was not long enough. Mara (the heroine) gets l...more
  • Of Swine and Roses
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • Four Dukes and a Devil
  • Curran, Vol. II: Fathers and Sons (Curran POV, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance
  • An Apple for the Creature (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • The Bite Before Christmas (Argeneau, #15.5; Night Huntress, #6.5)
Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series and the Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside fr...more
More about Jeaniene Frost...
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)