Start by marking “Under Her Skin” as Want to Read:
Under Her Skin

Under Her Skin

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  4,133 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
Three short stories of paranormal romance: "Pack" brings you a tale of a lost hiker and her encounter with some very frightening--and sexy--wolves. A female werewolf helps a sheriff track down a killer "In Sheep's Clothing." A woman must repay her family's debt to a shapeshifting magician in "Grace of Small Magics." These stories previously appeared in print in Mammoth Boo ...more
Published October 9th 2010 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Under Her Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under Her Skin

Lady Jaye
Pack - 3 stars
This is Jeaniene Frost's novellita, a tale of a girl bitten by a werewolf while on a hike in the park. It was a good story while it lasted, but very forgettable after that.

In Sheep's Clothing - 4 stars
Meljean Brook's contribution was a rather sweet story about a werewolf who was abducted by a highway killer *shudders*. It wasn't bad at all, although I did notice that the werewolf acted more like a friendly domestic dog than like a werewolf :) Also a rather forgettable story.

Grace
Calisto
Mar 06, 2011 Calisto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome-heroines
In case you might have missed it (and I totally did) this is three short stories that were previously published under The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance. Didn't matter for me tho, since I avoid mammoth anything. Now I have to admit that this was an impulse buy. I was on a high from Kate Daniels, saw Ilona's name and the price was right.

Unfortunately, this trio starts off with Jeaniene Frost's Pack. I consider this the weakest story. Three things bothered me: 1stPOV, annoying heroine, the "M
Zeek
Jan 31, 2012 Zeek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories. ::sigh::

Only read Frost's and Andrews's and both were good, but- TOO DAMN SHORT. :(

Frost’s entry is about a young woman lost while hiking, suddenly having her world turned upside down by a werewolf bite. She’s shifter now- but one thing might make this okay with her- she’s found she has a mate, and he was her’s at first sight.

Andrew’s goes into a world of shifters and magic with a different twist- the heroine is indentured to the hero and she must use her magic to protect him in
willaful
Three short, standalone paranormal romance stories involving shapeshifters. The first two are decently written but on the bland and forgettable side. Andrews' story has somewhat weird world-building -- another reviewer called it cheesy, which works -- but was the only one with any emotional intensity.
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Ilona Andrews' story is the best of the three & of the original anthology it was featured in. It has magic, weird creatures, fighting, and a chick that kicks ass - so the usual for this author(s).

The other two stories are about girl werewolves & are good.
Cindy
Aug 20, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 contemporary paranormals, involving werewolves & shape shifters. No sex.

Jeaniene Frost - 3 stars. This was a good story, but waaaay too short! Ended abruptly. I would have given it at least 4 stars if it had been fleshed out more.

Meljean Brook - 3 stars. Again, too short. I liked it, but ended too soon.

Ilona Andrews - 4 stars. The best story in the book. Somehow they managed to get a complete story out of a too short format.

These 3 authors are some of my favorites. They all had potent
Shannon C.
Very good paranormal short story collection! The Andrews story was my fav, but all three were entertaining reads.

These stories also appeared in the Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance. I didn't read them earlier, b/c it was so expensive and quite a few of the stories in that collection had mediocre ratings. Just didn't seem worth the $$. I was very excited to see three of the better rated stories republished as an ebook for only $2.99.
Feb 05, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic 99 cent deal. At 236 pages it was as long as a full length book, and I enjoyed all 3 short stories. All 3 stories were originally published in 2009's The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance. But did we really need a teenager on the cover of this collection?

The first story, Pack by Jeaniene Frost, is 88 pages long and the story of Marlee, a paralegal who is fulfilling her dream of hiking in Yellowstone National Park. After her hiking companions become injured and leave, she de
After getting into the 3rd story of this book (Grace of Small Magics - Ilona Andrews), I realized that I had read this before. I think perhaps I did take the Mammoth Book of PNR (previous publication of these stories) from the library, I just didn't remember it. That book was so spotty, I didn't enjoy all of it... don't think I even read everything. With this small, 3-story anthology, all by writers that I know and love, I decided to purchase for my Kindle to have as my very own.

The first story
Stacey
Well. I'm pretty stunned.Of all the hundreds of reviews of this book everyone gives it a 4 or a 5. I must be missing something pretty major here.

I could say that maybe this trio of paranormal romance wasn't my thing. That said, I do adore paranormal romance. What I don't adore is sloppy writing and even though these were short stories, that is what came across. Two of the stories involved women being kidnapped and then throwing their clothes off for their respective kidnappers. the second story
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
These short stories were in The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance. I'd also read Grace of Small Magics before on the Ilona Andrews website. At the Kindle price its a little less than $1 per story, and I think its a fair price. I'll re-read these again.

Grace of Small Magics by Ilona Andrews - I really love this story; believable characters, very alpha male with feisty heroine who doesn't know just how powerful she really is. Great action and romance.

In Sheep's Clothing by Meljean Brook - This
Jae
Mar 01, 2011 Jae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, 2011
Only Jeaniene Frost's story was worth reading here. And since it was my very first shape-shifting read, I was very much relieved that I didn't hate it too much. And was even glad that I made a bit of allowance for this one, being a JF's story and all.

Pity it was too short and I would love for a more bad-ass actions. Still, can't say that I'll be picking up another shape-shifting book in the near future.
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
I loved, loved, loved the Jeanine Frost story! excellent writing, captivating story, and a very cute heroine. The other stories were good as well, not often a small selection of short-stories actually all appeal to me, often, I only read one, and can't finish the others, I devoured this whole book in just a few hours today, though.
Merve Özcan
Nov 20, 2011 Merve Özcan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben bunu okudum ama unutmuşum. Artık ne olmuşsa... şimdi tekrar okuyorum. Hoşuma gitmişti. iyi oldu. kısacık zaten.

Yorum da geldi...
Jun 22, 2011 T.F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, paranormal
Amy A
Feb 20, 2011 Amy A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely read short stories. Nothing against them, but I prefer to read novels. One of the main reasons that I decided to give this a try is for the three authors. I absolutely love Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, and I've recently come across and enjoyed Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. I've not read anything by Meljean Brooks yet, but I've read reviews about her Iron Seas series and it is on my TBR list.

Each of these stories, however, are stand-alones and do not conincide with any
Catherine_bones Chapitre 32
Pack est une nouvelle de Jeaniene Frost, parut dans l’e-anthologie : Under her skin.

Voici le topo : Une jeune femme : Marlee décide, après une rupture de ne plus jamais remettre les choses au lendemain, de prendre sa vie en main et de tenter la grande aventure de la vie. Elle veut sortir de sa routine et tout ce la commence par une expédition pédestre au parc du Yellowstone, grand projet qu’elle repousse depuis des années. Accompagnée de deux de ses amis, elle part camper dans l’immense parc. M
Melindeeloo
Aug 10, 2011 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dug this out to read Grace of Small Magics again after reading Andrews' upcoming Burn For Me - I was wondering if the two stories were set in the same world since they both have dynasties of magic users, the answer is I don't think they are, but this story is still great even on the third read. Though it always does leave wanting more. I love Andrews' short stories - it is amazing how much character development and worldbuilding they can fit into such a minimal number of words, their stories a ...more
Liv
I had no idea that these short stories (by Jeaniene Frost, Meljean Brook, and Ilona Andrews) had already been included in The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance. So this would be the second time (or in the case of Ilona Andrews' story Grace of Small Magics, it would be my third) that I read these.

Jeaniene Frost - Pack - 3 stars
This was a good and tight short stories about a lost hiker being violently attacked by a werewolf and turned into one herself. As a pre-caution, she was "detained" by the
Lizz
Oct 18, 2011 Lizz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Pack" by Jeaniene Frost- 3.5 stars

In Pack, we meet Marlee who, while hiking alone, gets attacked by werewolves. She's rescued from her attackers by Daniel, who also happens to be a werewolf. Marlee is taken back to the town the pack lives in while they wait to see if Marlee is going to chane at the full moon.

While she's stuck waiting, Daniel is guarding her to make sure she doesn't escape. There is attraction between the two, which Marlee attributes to Stockholm syndrome, but Daniel thinks is b
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Originally posted at:

This is a review of Pack By Jeaniene Frost ONLY.

* This was free in a post on the authors website. For more information on this short story visit these links: Part I & Part II.

What a cute story! It really had depth. I was disappointed to find out it was just a short story with no future novel scheduled for release in the near future.

I loved Marlee. She was head strong when it was called for, but could still see reason when she was out of options. Her life wasn't going to
Tania
Mar 04, 2013 Tania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeaniene-frost
"Under Her Skin" is a paranormal romance anthology by Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews and Meljean Brook. I would call this anotholgy a light romance. Chemestry was good between all the characters but there are no actual sex scenes in any of the stories...more of a "fade to black" and you are left imagining what happens next.

Jeaniene Frost's story "Pack" was very good. I found myself wanting to know more about the main characters though, like the story was not long enough. Mara (the heroine) gets l
Kelly
My standard disclaimer here is that anthologies are always hit or miss with me. However, I couldn't resist short stories by three authors that I enjoy. So, here I am again. Giving the anthology thing a try.

Pack by Jeaniene Frost - I liked this one. I'm kinda a sucker for those cabin in the woods stories and while this one wasn't strictly my usual kink (I tend to like them snowed in and cut off from the world) I liked the interactions between Marlee and Daniel. Plus, I'm a goner when the guy gets
Paige
Feb 22, 2011 Paige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Jeaniene Frost story is built up really well for a short story. I really liked it. The story really flowed.
This story is about a girl's hiking vacation gone wrong--wildly wrong--when she is attacked by wolves. The story doesn't waste much story on the actual attack but builds on the tension of her rescue and having to be captive until she heals. The only problem I had was I didn't want this story to end. I really hope that Jeanniene Frost wants to take this short story and make it into a bo
Jill
three different stories, three different authors.
Pack - jeaniene frost
Loved this story. Marlee is hiking and lost in Yellowstone national park and gets attacked by a pack of wolves. But these are no ordinary wolves and marlee finds her self injured and being held captive by werewolve enforcer Daniel. She cannot deny her attraction to Daniel even though her world is being turned upside down, will she turn furry? Will she see her family again?
I really wish this story would be elaborated, I want m
MJ
Jan 16, 2013 MJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-modern
There were three good stories in this book. Each of the authors has experience writing and was adept at creating a short story. I don't think any of the stories suffered too badly being short and they had concise plots.

PACK by Jeaniene Frost is about a girl lost in her life and lost in the woods. She is attacked by wolves, but saved by another. While awaiting her fate in the "wolf village" she is watched over by the pack enforcer. I thought this was the weakest of the stories since it wasn't tha
The first short story was just okay. But I have very, very strong opinions about the whole shapeshifter thing, and this contained some details that bugged me and didn't have as much of Frost's trademark snappy dialogue. My verdict for "Pack" is probably 2.5 stars. She's so good at what she does in her Night Huntress series, but this story didn't work for me. This one is also the most overtly romancey of the three--the other two are more on the urban fantasy side of the scale.

Read contribution #2
Danielle Barclay
Feb 20, 2011 Danielle Barclay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great compilation of novellas!

Frost's writing style is very different in Pack, but I loved the setting in a remote wilderness community. A lost hiker's life is forever changed after being bitten by a werewolf. Centered on the protagonists journey of self discovery, Frost created a brand new world filled with intriguing characters that I'd like to see more of!

Brook's story, In Sheep's Clothing, felt a like a noir mystery in which we follow a female werewolf and her estranged lover (&a
Lynda Tatad
Aug 16, 2011 Lynda Tatad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this anthology as it has authors whose books I enjoy!

Jeanienne Frost takes a break from her vampire stories, and introduces a werewolf story in "Pack", where a woman lost in the woods gets attacked by wolves, and thinks she's halucinating when one changes to a naked man. Enjoyed this story, looking forward to seeing of Ms. Frost will dabble some more with werewolf stories!

Meljean Brook has a young woman returning to her hometown where she had been bitten by a werewolf 5 years before. B
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #2.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Must Love Hellhounds (Sookie Stackhouse #9.2; Guild Hunter #0.5; Kate Daniels #3.5; The Guardians #5.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Otherworld Stories)
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • Four Dukes and a Devil (The Byrons of Braebourne #1.5)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea #3.5; Psy-Changeling #0.6; Iron Seas #0.5)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #6.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series and the Broken Destiny series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside fr ...more
More about Jeaniene Frost...