Start by marking “Zen - The Religion of the Samurai” as Want to Read:
Zen - The Religion of the Samurai

Zen - The Religion of the Samurai

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Zen was uniquely suited to the Samurai of Japan. The high moral principles of Buddhism, when adopted and adapted by the Japanese warriors who became the Samurai, created an austere philosophy of singular beauty and depth. Its characteristic requirements of strict control over body and mind was exemplified by ancient warrior monks whose serene countenance, even in the face ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by El Paso Norte Press (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Zen - The Religion of the Samurai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen - The Religion of the Samurai

Owlseyes

No matter what, the Zen-samurai can endure anything and everything; because “…he can enjoy everything” ; that’s how the book ends. The self must have authority “over all the body”. Zen IS the religion of the samurai.

The book starts with a historical perspective of the two main currents of Zen: the Rinzei and the Soto traditions. It proceeds highlighting the parallels between a Zen Monk and a samurai warrior; many, indeed, acknowledges the author.

Then, the steps for mental training are exposed.
Gustavo
There is a LOT of vocabulary pertaining to Buddhism and Zen, which just makes you be lost in all that. There's really little about the relationship between Zen and Samurais and the whole Bushido philosophy. It builds the difference between Himayanism and Mahayanism, with the different approaches it has as a whole, but even then you get lost with all the sutras, mantras, and weird hindu names.
This book was a dissapointment to be honest, and i only finished it because of my obsession that makes me
Doug
Very thought provoking book with essays on the mind, morality, nature and origins of man.
Daniel Silveyra
This is one of those free books on the Kindle (and the web), by the way.

If the first 150 or so pages are any indication of the rest of the book, then the title may be a little misleading. If you are interested mainly in the Samurai class and your interest in their religion is mainly due to this, you will be disappointed. If you are interested in Zen Buddhism, this might be more your cup of tea.

I was of the first kind of reader, but the introduction to the Zen school at the beginning of the book
Katie S
I have recently read a book called The Religion of the Samurai by Kaiten Nukariya. This book was about where the religion of the Samurai came from. I think this is a boring book and I didn’t enjoy reading it.

The point of this book was to inform us about what the religion of the Samurai was and how it came to be the way it is now. The author was trying to tell us about a religion called Zen. I felt that it was good to know about other religions, but I didn’t understand much of the book.

I didn’
Doug
WOW ... what a struggle!

The version that I read was a freebie e-book version from Amazon. The way the book was digitized made for a very aggravating read, and it took me well over half way through the book before I realized that my confusion was being caused by the way the footnotes appeared. Once I figured out how this was done I was able to set a good pace with it and it was almost enjoyable ... almost!

As with most books that you read originating from the Far East, the first part of the book i
Ardeth Baxter
Needs a cleanup

As happens with a lot of these free Amazon ebooks, there are lots of typos and major disorganization. The book itself is quite fascinating if a bit confusing about just what Zen is. But a part of that confusion is because of the poor layout, with footnotes thrown in right after sections of text. It's messy.
Jeremy L.
True, not an easy read for the light reader. It has a lot of Indian/Hindu references, names, and vocabulary. However, if you have the capacity to absorb it, the book is full of the complexities and nuance of the history and pholosophy of zen.
Dani Lane
This will be the first book I read on my new iPad. Finally finished this snoozer. It was filled with names (Chinese and Japanese) and was very hard to read. I thought it would be an explanation of the philosophy, but if you go by the information here, the philosophy is that there is no philosophy. The author's view on the religion is offered near the end of the book, but by then I was so confused about Buddhism, Confucianism and Zen that I didn't want to add his opinions to the muddle. I'm still ...more
R.
i read 3% of this book and stopped after i realized i would never understand it. i became so tripped up in trying to pronounce the names and terms that i often forgot the premise of the present sentence i was reading. maybe i just don't know as much about buddhism as i thought i did, and need to take a crash course on it before i could understand this book. perhaps actual buddhists would find this to be a good read. not for le, though..
Ben
This book is quite a good overview of Zen Buddhism, although it has nothing to do with Samurai.
The first chapter is very heavy going, with lots of names and footnotes, but also isn't especially necessary for the remainder of the book. The remaining chapters are easier to read and give some good insights into the principles of Zen Buddhism such as the view on mindfulness and meditation.
E Taylor
Nov 13, 2011 E Taylor is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
research for first novel
Roman
Roman marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
kai
kai marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Amanda Burd
Amanda Burd marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Matt Barrington
Matt Barrington marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
  • The Life of Buddha and Its Lessons
  • An Account of Egypt
  • Manual of Zen Buddhism
  • Tales of Old Japan: Folklore, Fairy Tales, Ghost Stories and Legends of the Samurai
  • Training the Samurai Mind: A Bushido Sourcebook
  • The Religion of the Ancient Celts
  • Bushido: The Soul of Japan. A Classic Essay on Samurai Ethics
  • Japanese Fairy World - Stories From The Wonder-Lore Of Japan
  • The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts
  • Secrets of the Wolf (The Pack, #4)
  • The Zen Teaching of Huang Po: On the Transmission of Mind
  • Red Satin
  • Love, Sex & Tragedy: How the Ancient World Shapes Our Lives
Istoria zenului: doctrina și practica zen în China și Japonia Istoria zenului: doctrina și practica zen în China și Japonia Religion of the Samurai THE RELIGION OF THE SAMURAI (Annotated) The Religion of the Samurai: A Study of Zen Philosophy in China and Japan

“If the primitive faith be called the genuine, as these scholars think, and the later developed faith be the degenerated one,” 0 likes
“Zen is completely free from the fetters of old dogmas, dead creeds, and conventions of stereotyped past, that check the development of a religious faith and prevent the discovery of a new truth. Zen needs no Inquisition. It never compelled nor will compel the compromise of a Galileo or a Descartes. No excommunication of a Spinoza or the burning of a Bruno is possible for Zen.” 0 likes