3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  14,315 ratings  ·  363 reviews

Imagine living on a planet with six suns that never experiences Darkness. Imagine never having seen the Stars. Then, one by one your suns start to set, gradually leading you into Darkness for the first time ever. Image the terror of such a Nightfall.

Scientists on the planet Kalgash discover that an eclipse - an event that occurs only every 2049 years - is imminent, and tha

Paperback, Spectra, 339 pages
Published January 27th 2012 by Bantam Books (first published September 1941)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
124th out of 4,097 books — 15,244 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank HerbertThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Best Science Fiction
143rd out of 1,423 books — 2,100 voters

More lists with this book...

Josh
Jan 18, 2013 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Asimov and post-apocalyptic stories
To start with, I thought the original 1941 novelette was absolutely fascinating. People experiencing a world-wide event that had never occurred before in their entire history, trying to prepare for it and being horrified as it actually occurs. The end is an absolutely masterful span of writing, ever-increasing suspense and dark madness as a mob descends, cut off so abruptly, it's almost certainly the reason the story is so popular.

And then Silverberg brings us to the new world, and spends a hund...more
Andre T
I was and still am a big Isaac Asimov fan, both of his fiction and his non-fiction. I was in particular a big fan of his short stories and I loved the original short story version of Nightfall, however when I read the long extended version that was made into a book, I wasn't as thrilled.

I was, however, only 8-years-old, when I read the book version, but I still remember thinking this is too long, too wordy and that Isaac Asimov is right in the assessment that Golden Age science fiction writers w...more
Janne Järvinen
Nightfall isn't that bad. The plot advances at a nice pace. It all breaks down in the end, though. At points I was close to giving Nightfall three stars. The bad delivery of the ending, and the overall pulpiness of the story, are what drop the rating.

The story is fun, but has a full time job holding itself together just on the surface level. This leaves no room for any depth.

The final resolution of the story is not that bad in itself, but the way it is told is anti-climactic. Some people say the...more
iffi
Много увлекателна история за планета, която е огряна денонощно от няколко слънца и на която веднъж на 2000 години се случва катаклизъм (слънчевата светлина изчезва и се появяват Звездите), което кара всички жители буквално да полудеят.
Чудесно описан е сблъсъкът на фанатизма и лудостта с науката.
Книгата е разширение на разказа "Падането на нощта", който си струва да се прочете преди това.
James
An amazing short story, rewritten as a novel by popular demand. Or maybe just Asimov's determination to keep 'improving' perfectly good work. Sadly, this is exactly the same short story as the original Nightfall, just with more words to slow it down a bit and the 'assistance' of another author who isn't Asimov anyway...
Richard
Nov 11, 2011 Richard rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of sci-fi and non-fiction space stories alike
Shelves: classic-sci-fi
One of Asimov's greatest works. Written in his dry, pre-WWII classic American sci-fi style, very matter-of-fact and reverent of science. Brings excellent ideas of how a different society would be in a different solar system, and the psychology of beings living on a world where night never comes. Asimov gradually introduces his ideas to us through his character's scientific processes. He also writes the end of a world very well, how society may very well break apart when the sanity of humanity is...more
Aaron
Aaron King
1/29/12
Per. 6
Book Review: Nightfall by Isaac Asimov
Reading has always been a seminal part of the human experience. It keeps the mind sharp and open to new ideas. Reading also maintains one’s vocabulary. If one never reads, he or she is more susceptible to the same “rusting” that an adolescent’s brain suffers over a long summer. On the other end of the literary spectrum, reading also helps the writers. Authors can use their writing to express emotions and ideas and, in a sense, “trans...more
Joe
This is a sci-fi novel about the end of the world. Sort of.

Isaac Asimov is the master of sci-fi short stories. He's a little-known author that has written one or two books. One of his stories is called "Nightfall", and is well worth reading. You should probably get a collection of his that includes that story, but if you search around enough, you can find the text online.

Asimov works the short story perfectly. Many sci-fi books have to present an idea or explanation for some technology of phenom...more
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Quando ho iniziato a leggere Notturno di Asimov e Silverberg, conservava ancora una salda consistenza granitica la convinzione assoluta che, nel migliore dei casi, quanto mi accingevo a leggere non sarebbe stato più che un semplice annacquamento del racconto originale di Asimov. Poco a poco, però, la convinzione è venuta meno, e per quanto il racconto mi sembri ancora superiore, soprattutto stilisticamente, non posso dare a questo romanzo meno di cinque stelle.
Se è vero che il sapore romantico-s...more
Jeff Brateman
I read the explanation on the cover detailing how this was a short story adopted into a longer novel, but proceeded expecting a fully hashed book. However, I was greeted with a silly portrayal of the same short story, just with different characters and their points of view. This may have worked before, and it may work again, but that writing style does work for Nightfall. Many times I felt like yelling "get on with it already!" and "okayyyyy" when the characters would start two-page explanations...more
Keith
Reread this after many years. The original short story by Asimov stayed with me for a long time as one of the most thought provoking scenarios that had been presented to me. For the first time the idea that sentient beings could be so radically different from us sank home (I was young and foolish). This was an important lesson that many writers of science fiction and fantasy could do with learning.
I read the expanded version when it was releeased and felt oddly dissatisfied with it. Some of the...more
Jacquie
Feb 03, 2013 Jacquie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Samuel Viana
One of the greatest Asimov's short novels I had the pleasure of reading. Can you imagine what happenned to us if we've at night, and in one entire continnent, the electricity were ran out !? And what in one entire planet. It is true, being us, humans, able, as species that lives under the light of the Sun, were able to conquer the Night after the invention of the electric lamp, but what can happend if those things where gone suddenly !? This way, you can start to feel how the inhabitants of this...more
Steven Peterson
This represents an expanded version of the 1941 short story by Isaac Asimov, this time with Robert Silverberg as co-author. Whether the book-length version works as well as the short story is a key question. This version does not seem as "taut."

Nonetheless, it is still a nice piece of work. The premise: The planet Kalgash is normally in sunlight. It has six suns circling it, and for an extended period of time, at least one sun has been in the sky. In cuycles of over 2000 years, though, all suns...more
John
The change from Asimov's original short story, which was evocative, poetic, and ended on a bang, and this extended version is remarkable. Asimov's relatable if doomed character sketches are replaced with a mess of tedious lovers and flat academics constantly turning over the same moral debate. The dialogue is hideous and the human interactions feel dutiful and by-the-numbers.

The worst sin is the lack of awe. Asimov's original was stricken with awe and fear, this is as emotionless as a VCR manual...more
Mark
By Issac Asimov and Robert Silverberg
Publisher: Doubleday
Published In: New York, NY, USA
Date: 1990
Pgs: 339

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
On a world with 6 suns, fear of the Dark is an instinctual, religious experience. Twilight is gathering. Scientists are warning that it is coming. But no one believes them. The 6 suns are setting in tandem for the first time in 2000 years. An archaeologist has discovered a cycle of destruction where their civilization razes itself to the ground, a...more
Clackamas
Oct 21, 2009 Clackamas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Clackamas by: Found it at the bus stop
***Upgraded this book to an all time love. I keep rereading it and love it every time. Originally read 10/1994. Reread every year or so since then***

I love this kind of book. It introduces us to a world and characters before the disaster, follows them through it, and shows us the aftermath. It's very character-driven. It's surprising to read a book with so many characters that are being followed, and yet have them all fleshed out and three-dimensional so that you can actually care about them.
Tadiana
The original short story Nightfall is brilliant and deserves five stars. This novel, based on that short story, only gets 2 stars. It was bloated and forgettable. Don't bother with it unless you're an Asimov completist. If you've never read the short story, you need to go find it. It's in a lot of SF collections and should be readily available.
Danielle
One of my favorite stories of all time. The anthropological question of what happens to a people who have never really experienced darkness is amazing! It helped feed my fascination with archaeology and had a direct impact on my developing interest in archaeology and social psychology while growing up.
Wanda
This was a good short story, but there's not enough to it to make a novel. Plus the premise becomes obviously inane when stretched out beyond the usual SF story "what if..."
Lisa
This was recommended on a list of best science fiction books of all time. I guess it was before its time. While the concept was interesting, the story was dull in contrast.
Heather Selig
I liked the first 1/3 of the book the best. It was my first Asimov book (never read the short story either), but I will definitely read another of his.
julio
been a long time, esse.

i see, you central park east secondary school library reading nook circa 1991.

i see you.
Erin
Aug 07, 2007 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone.
FANTASTIC BOOK.

i want to rewrite the ending (i can't help it... it begs to be fantastically michael bay-ed)

Phil Prentice
This is the best that science fiction can be.
Vinodhini Chockalingam
Tancredi
Se è vero che il sapore romantico-s...more
Tom
I went into nightfall having no idea what to expect, and I was rather pleasantly surprised by the outcome of the experience. The story centers around the planet of Kalgash, where six suns circle at all times. Ultimately, that means that even during their "sleep periods," they have at least 1 sun up in the sky, and there are even days where they can have as many as four. A religious group is spouting the end of the world the day the suns disappear from the sky, and some scientists begin to uncove...more
Joan
Jul 25, 2013 Joan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci fi fans.
Nightfall is an expansion of the short story of the same name that was the breakthrough title for Asimov. Many have read that. Of the two, I think in many ways the short story is still better.

However, some of the themes that Asimov and Silverberg developed in the novel were interesting. No, fascinating. Asimov was an outspoken, unapologetic atheist. I don't know Silverberg's background so I don't know what his take is on religion. But it is sad that Asimov seems to have considered in both this...more
Nuno Magalhães
Este livro de Asimov e Silverberg explora de uma forma muito original o medo irracional dos seres humanos. Situando a narrativa no planeta Kalgash, que orbita num sistema constituído por nada menos que seis estrelas, uma das quais brilhante como o Sol do sistema solar, dois pares de estrelas duplas mais distantes e uma anã vermelha. Em virtude desta configuração planetária, o planeta Kalgash é continuamente banhado pela luz solar, pelo que nunca em parte alguma deste globo se experimenta a sensa...more
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Nightfall (short story) 29 81 May 10, 2013 09:42PM
La Stamberga dei ...: Notturno di Isaac Asimov 1 6 Feb 14, 2013 01:58PM
What's The Name o...: planet without nights except every few centuries [s] 8 138 Jan 02, 2013 11:29PM
Apocalypse Whenever: Nightfall 6 83 Mar 03, 2012 02:17PM
  • The Songs Of Distant Earth
  • Isaac Asimov's Caliban (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #1)
  • Citizen of the Galaxy
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3)
  • Footfall

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te...more
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)

“Life would be impossible on such a planet. It wouldn't get enough heat and light, and if it rotated there would be total darkness half of every day. There wouldn't be any native inhabitants. You couldn't expect life---which is fundamentally dependent on light---to develop under such extreme conditions of light deprivation. Half of every axial rotation spent in Darkness! No, nothing could exist under conditions like that.” 13 likes
“It was a long time since he'd done any actual clinical work, and obviously his sojourn among the academics at Saro University had attenuated the professional detachment that allows members of the healing arts to confront the ill without being overwhelmed by compassion and sorrow. He was surprised at that, how tenderhearted he seemed to have become, how thin-skinned.” 5 likes