Start by marking “City of Secrets: The Extraordinary True Story of the Woman Who Found Herself at the Heart of the Grail” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A captivating tale of author and playwright Patrice Chaplan's early years spent in a mysterious town in Spain and the secrets she uncovers as she returns later throughout the course of her life. Her story follows the intriguing villagers of Girona, many of whom, she discovers, belong to a secret society formed to protect the legacy of Abbe Saniere of Rennes-le-Chateau fame ...more
Published May 24th 2007 by Robinson Publishing (first published May 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about City of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Secrets

Deirdre
Chaplin was in the right place at the right time to experience the sudden interest in the Holy Grail and the city of Rennes le Chateau. This is her story of living in the area and around and with some of the people involved.

Interesting stuff, who knows what's truth and what's cashing in on the controversy but still an interesting piece in the holy grail mystery.
Juliette Williams
This book would be hard to follow if I wasn't obsessed with the myths and legends of the Pyrenees (Spanish and French sides), and gypsies. :P

Chaplin has a writing style that is more reflective. It follows its own pattern, and sometimes you wonder if you've missed a sentence or two while reading.

You really can 'feel' her love for Jose and for Girona, though. I would have loved to know more about some of the characters (names were changed, etc.), especially Ingrid and Lucia (I think that was her n
Fiona Robson
Enjoyed this book because of its connection to the Rennes-le-Chateau mystery, and like "Happy Hour", this made me want to revisit Girona. However, I was getting slightly annoyed by Chaplin's "relationship" with Jose, and kept on wishing he'd grow a backbone and cut the umbilical chord! Asked more questions than it answered, but opened up a few new doors on RLC for me, which I will no doubt be exploring further!
Donald
Boring. It's a book about the Grail legend, or something, but the Grail isn't even mentioned for 200 pages. Then there's an all-too-brief search by the "narrator" to discover what her lover has been doing since 1955, putting all the pieces together, but nothing even comes out of it. Boring. If I hadn't had to read this for work, I would have given it up after the first 100 pages.
Juliette Williams
Patrice isn't the best writer in the world, but her story fascinates me (she seems to stumble into secret society members on a regular basis without realizing it). If you like, or are fascinated by the Rennes le Chateau history, give this a try. It will add another possible dimension to Sauniere's background. ;)
Emma
Interesting read, from a different angle on the subject of Grail hunting and Rennes-le-Chateau.Enjoyed it and Chaplin's style of writing had a lot to do with it.
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Kyle
Kyle is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2015
Apriel
Apriel marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Vik
Vik marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Shirin Dunkel
Shirin Dunkel marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Coles Brewer
Coles Brewer marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Portal: An Initiate’s Journey into the Secret of Rennes-le-Château Albany Park: A Story of Bohemian Adventure and Obsessive Love : A Memoir Siesta Another City: A Sequel to Albany Park : A Memoir Happy Hour