Start by marking “Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag VI an Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving, Etc” as Want to Read:
Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag VI an Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving, Etc

Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag VI an Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving, Etc (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag #6)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Sixty years ago, up among the New Hampshire hills, lived Farmer Bassett, with a house full of sturdy sons and daughters growing up about him. They were poor in money, but rich in land and love, for the wide acres of wood, corn, and pasture land fed, warmed, and clothed the flock, while mutual patience, affection, and courage made the old farm-house a very happy home.
Published December 2nd 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1868)

Be the first to ask a question about Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag VI an Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving, Etc

A short, simple, yet nice story of a family Thanksgiving in an earlier time, when life was hard yet simple, when meals were basic, yet special. Where children would be left home along when their parents had to leave to take a horse drawn sleigh to visit a sick relative. Where these same children would take it upon themselves, in their freezing blizzard surrounded home to make a Thanksgiving feast. Where even the cooking failures led to smiles, and where it all ends happily ever after.
I initially grabbed this as a Kindle freebie because of the "Thanksgiving" themed title story, but I ended up reading more because I enjoyed the first few stories so much.

Some of the following stories were very moralistic; I can see how they would be boring for children these days, or just a bit odd. In The Whale's story, for example, a little boy has a conversation with a whale's jawbone, or rather, the whale talks about his life and cautions against pride. The didactic nature was a bit grating
Dec 10, 2008 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alcott fans
Recommended to Relyn by: found on my library's website
I have a string of Thanksgiving books that I read to my daughter and my second graders. These will be quick reviews based on the reactions of my daughter and students. I put the date the same for each book, but I really read them in the week leading up to Thanksgiving, and on Thanksgiving Day. Under the how many times I've read it category, that will be how many Thanksgivings I've used this book.

I didn't actually read this aloud to my class. It was just in the pile. The illustrations are amazing
This was a very quick read that I really enjoyed, and was able to read in one short sitting. I was surprised to find that the movie, which I'd seen before reading the short-story, wasn't at all like the book, and I love the book so much more than the movie. But really other than the characters, their wasn't much similarity between the book and movie. I highly recommend you to read this if you like Louisa's other works or the movie. I got mine for free as an e-book titled Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag and ...more
Nov 06, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous and sweet tale about children taking over the preparation of Thanksgiving dinner, with mixed results. It shows a little bit of how life was back in the mid-1800s in New England and how people cooked food. The illustrations by James Bernardin are wonderful and the narrative is short and entertaining. There is a recipe for Louisa May Alcott's Apple Slump at the end, which looks like a yummy version of a deep dish apple pie.

It is Thanksgiving in New Hampshire and Mr. and Mrs. Bassett are suddenly called away. The oldest girls in the family decide to continue cooking the Thanksgiving meal.

This is a picture book, very short. My edition was illustrated by James Bernardin, and the pictures were beautiful. I enjoyed it. It was about food, family and celebrating Thanksgiving. There is a recipe included at the end for “Apple Slump”. Sounds like apple crisp, so I might have to give it a try!
Nancy St. Clair
The title says it all! This is a delightful "homey" Thanksgiving story about a colonial family set in New England. As I read it aloud to my daughter I found myself wishing that I could climb into the book and become a member of the Bassett family. Ms. Alcott's wonderfully descriptive writing style made the story come alive. Yummy recipes are included in the back of the book. We plan to view the movie later and practice our comparison/contrast skills!
Michelle M
An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving (1881) by Louisa May Alcott 5

This was a real treat to read. Despite all the chaos that is going on at my house right now (we'll be expecting about 10 people over for Thanksgiving dinner - not including us 3 that live at the house). This is a historic fiction setting. It was written in 1881. And the story begins with "Sixty years ago, up among the New Hampshire hills, lived Farmer Bassett, with a houseful of sturdy sons and daughters growing up about him." So the set

This is my favorite Thanksgiving story. How I want all my Thanksgivings to be. Family Food and fun. An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving by Louis May Alsott
What a fun treat to able to read a Louisa May Alcott book about a Thanksgiving past. There are so few books and stories that are actually written about Thanksgiving. And of course Louisa May Alcott is a treat any time.

I read this aloud to my children, and it was a little difficult for them to follow because of the old fashioned language and the phonetic spelling of many of the old pronunciations of the words - "jedged" (judged), "yarbs" (herbs), etc. Even I had some difficulty understanding wha
I chose this after reading Reisen's biography of Louisa May Alcott. The 'scrap bag' series was one Alcott did for the holidays - this was a random selection, because there are others. Some of the stories were covered in the biography, which tells that Alcott went wandering in her green shoes as a child, she jumped out of the loft in the barn with alarming regularity and was injured, and did polish her hair with lamp oil. Poppy, the heroine of one of the scrap bag stories, has adventures that are ...more
Vera Godley
Most girls have grown up reading Little Women and possibly other books by famed author, Louisa May Alcott. She wrote beloved tales of life and holds an esteemed place in the hall of famous authors and trail blazers. Today we're going to look at a children's very short adaptation of Miss Alcott's story in picture book form - An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving by Louisa May Alcott published by Ideal Books.

ISBN-13: 9780824956202

Ages 4-8

About the book: A sweet and humorous Thanksgiving tale from the belo
Brittany Z
A nice holiday story for adults and children. The Bassett children are left home alone on Thanksgiving when their parents leave to tend to a family emergency. The older kids take charge making the great meal anyway while caring for the house and other children. Of course, some snags happen along the way and the family has a laugh about it after the fact. It's a great family tale about colonial New England living.
Louisa May Alcott not quite at her best, but worthwhile, nostalgic and sweet anyhow. A dire message about an ailing family member sends 'ma' and 'pa' to visit the old home place fearing the worst. It's up to the young children to save Thanksgiving and make sure dinner gets made on time.

Enjoyable and quick to read.
Alyssa Tabor (Tween You & Me)
Enjoyed the era, the illustrations, and some of the writing, but the story itself was rather bland. However, the Hallmark movie is outstanding.
I love Louisa May Alcott. Can't wait to read this excellent story with El when she's older.
Sweet and funny story. Short enough for a 2-day read aloud.
Joseph Wetterling
This is a charming story - almost entirely focused on the children of the family, which was a pleasant surprise. We enjoyed it as a read-aloud over a car trip, getting through it in about 1 1/2 hours (including some interruptions to laugh or discuss). This short book paints a picture of 1820's farm family life and through the course of the story, you find out about their home, heating, food, chores, and clothing. Educational and entertaining - and a very nice Thanksgiving day read.
I had this book on my wish list and finally found it in Powell Books recently. I had no idea it was so tiny! A wonderful little short story full of Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving family love! I fell in love with Mr. and Mrs. Bassett's country home and all of their kids who pulled together to cook their very first Thanksgiving feast while their parents were away tending to their sick grandmother. A very charming story! It quickly became a favorite of mine!
Nov 23, 2011 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: April
Recommended to Marcia by: TAH
I read the 1974 version with neat nostalgic sketches by Holly Johnson. Full of old-timey charm, it's the story oft a large family of kids left alone on a stormy Thanksgiving when their parents go to attend to a sick relative. They attempt to recreate the perfect Thanksgiving meal. It would be a fun read-aloud for elementary school kids studying Colonial America or Thanksgiving. Includes recipes, and I'll be trying Louisa May Alcott;s Apple Slump.
Jun 25, 2009 Crystal rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children
Recommended to Crystal by: read books by the author before
cute. nothing very substantial. the version I read was illustrated by Holly Johnson, with some cute pencil drawings. the story was very "countrified" and I always hate references to the audience "not like we do it today", for example. but it's a good way to teach kids what life used to be like in our country, and some parts are funny. when I read that they accidentally used wormwood and catnip to flavor their stuffing, I laughed out loud!
This was actually one of the stories in a compilation of her short stories, but I couldn't find the entire book on here, so I just posted it as this one :)

I have to say - Louisa May Alcott is so much more than just Little Woman, Little Men and Jo's boys. She is a master story teller...some one who gets you involved in time periods and with people that you never thought possible to be interested in.
I would give one and a half stars to An Old-fashioned Thanksgiving.
Louisa May Alcott sets the mood well and delivers an old-fashioned story about the Thanksgiving holiday that shows that people's surroundings and the times in which they live might change, but the qualities of family and togetherness are always important. I liked the simple style in which this story is written.
A very charming and entertaining collection of short tales, to delight children and adult readers alike. Edifying, humorous, and as moving; characteristically Alcott. Stand-outs in this volume include: "How it All Happened," "Dolls Journey from Minnesota to Maine," "Shadow Children," and "Poppy's Pranks" (which was loosely based on Alcott's own childhood).
A fun story with nice illustrations that I'm sure all the little girls in our family would enjoy this time of year. The story is from Aunt Jo’s Scrap-Bag, a series of 6 collections of short stories, mostly for children, that Louisa wrote in the 1880s. You can download many of LMA's novels and short stories for free on a Kindle and elsewhere on the web.
A cute story. The dialect was a bit of trouble trying to adapt to. The story was cute. I liked that the gender roles were clearly defined and children were expected to pitch in and help around the house. In today's families, that aspect of the household is often lacking. I can see this being a good read-aloud right before Thanksgiving.
I loved everything about this book, from the beautiful endpapers to the charming illustrations by Holly Johnson to the Laura Ingalls Wilderesque story.

10/29/14: I think I will make reading this an annual event. I love this book so much. There's something so sweet and nostalgic and cozy about it.
Such fun to find a story from Louisa May Alcott. It's a very small book and the story was wonderful, but the writing style was very difficult to decipher. A rarity to find a story for Thanksgiving.
Adorable, CHARMING little story about New England farm children in mid 19th centry trying to whip up a delicious Thanksgiving feast to surprise their parents, who had to attend to a sick grandma but were expected back for that night. The kids are in for a suprise of their own. Awwww.
  • Over the River and Through the Wood
  • Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy
  • Franklin's Thanksgiving
  • Thanksgiving Rules
As A. M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t
More about Louisa May Alcott...

Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag (6 books)
  • Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag #1)
  • Shawl-Straps (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag #2)
  • Cupid and Chow Chow (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag #3)
  • My Girls (Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag, #4)
  • Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag; Volume V (Aunt Jo's Scrap Bag #5)