Daniel's Gift

Daniel's Gift

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,483 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Reckless YouthIn her impetuous summer of love, Jenny St. Claire found Luke Sheridan--her dashing knight in intern's scrubs. But as a fast-track future and rigid, ambitious parents drove passion out of Luke's life. And the summer ended, leaving Jenny with a broken heart...and a beautiful son, Danny, to help mend it.

Love Reclaimed

Years later it is tragedy that reunited them-...more
Published March 1st 1996 by Avon

Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Did not finish

Awful plot and unsympathetic characters! I was so disgusted by all the melodrama and pathetic characters in this book. It got to the point where I couldn't bring myself to finish the last few chapters of this story.

The hero is selfish, egotistical, and a poor excuse of a man. He gets the heroine pregnant right before heading off to college, tells her his goals are more important, and gives her $500 for an abortion. Wow! What a keeper. Not! Fast forward 13 years and he's become a ri...more
Booklover
ohh dear another disappointed book,i was dying to read this one also but again i was so so disappointed by it

the story is actually good a kid Danny wants to know his father and goes to meet him and gets hit by a car and that brings his mother-father face-to-face after 13 years and from there starts the journey of past n present,realising their mistakes the decisions that cost them so much and finally making a way to get their HEA

I did'nt liked the hero Luke at all,he is too much of a coward,his...more
Aarann
Minor spoilers ahead:

This book left me with mixed feelings. As I'm writing this, I'm currently a little over halfway through, and I'm getting progressively more irritated with the message the author seems to be attempting to send regarding Jenny. Without going into too much detail (and if you have read the back of the book, I'm not spoiling anything), when Danny goes into the coma, his guardian angel tells him from the beginning that Danny, his mother Jenny, and his father, Luke, all have things...more
Leona
Oh boy, what can I say. If this is a romance than it fails miserably because I couldn't see where any of the characters loved anyone but themselves.

Luke Sheridan and Jenny St. Claire share a passionate summer that ends disastrously when Jenny tells Luke she is pregnant. Luke was only looking for a casual fling before he headed off to medical school and a successful future that his parents had carefully carved out for him. So he gives Jenny $500 for an abortion and tells her to get lost. He foll...more
C.G.
This was my first e-book and even though I had a good idea what it was going to be like, I decided to spring $3.99) for it. I'm glad I didn't pay for a hard copy as it's one that I wouldn't re-read, but it was a fast, easy, predictable read. I found the characters - especially Jennie - to be inconsistent. For days she won't leave her son's side and then once Luke starts to 'court' her, they're off touring the countryside and playing on the beach.

I love a good romance and am a sucker for happy en...more
Nenette
I had a good cry over this book and I like it. I've been tensed in the past couple of days before I finished this book, and crying was a good reliever.

The story is a testament to faith: as tragic as events and circumstances could turn, everything happens for a reason. It also presents the two kinds of persona in the subject of love and sacrifice: one who is willing to fight for what/who he loves and make sacrifices for it; and another who can't think beyond one's self. The latter leads one to do...more
Mum
A cross between "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Angels in the Outfield." Everything was a one dimensional cliche. Trite, poorly done. I never felt like the author understood or could relate to the characters she created. It read as if the author were gossiping at a party, rather than relating to the meaning/confusion of the characters' tale.
Stephanie
The book will hook you from beginning to end. You could feel and picture the characters actions and feelings. It told a great story of a mothers bond to her child. And it was filled with romance as well. It also send a message. Enjoy life each and everyday and no matter how old you always find your true love, I highly recommend this book!
Diana
This is the worst romance I've ever read. Bad plotting, bad writing, cliched, cardboard stereotypical characters, and a ridiculous ghost. Be warned: Freethy preaches against the evils of abortion with an extremely heavy hand. This is an anti-abortion screed thinly disguised as a romance novel.
Christina
I had a hard time connecting with this one. I wish the boy would have been more involved in his parents getting back together, instead of his "spirit" or whatever influencing their motions.

The ending was touching, though.
Tanya Mcfarland
Laura-Jane Barber
I follow @NookBN on Twitter and the other day it mentioned that Daniel's Gift by Barbara Freethy was only $2.99. Of course I jumped at the chance for cheap chick-lit. Of course, cheap in a Nook Book often means typos which did get a bit annoying as I read.

This book is the story of a tragedy that reunites former lovers. It is akin to a Nicholas Sparks novel though not as sophisticated or well-written. I cried my way through the entire book and could not help but put myself in the heroine's shoes....more
Shelley Hoerauf
This was an excellent book. I would definitely recommend it to anybody who would ask me. It was a heartfelt book that was more than just a romance. It also had a mystery in it as well. The primary characters in were very well rounded and intense and their story brought tears to my eyes.The secondary characters in it were very well done and the relationships there were well done and the story arcs there to kept you from getting bored at all in this book. The supernatural element of angels and God...more
Imaginereader
HK
In Japanese, その愛に守られて(二見文庫 ザ・ミステリ・コレクション)嵯峨 静江 her translation was good. Jenny St. Claire found Luke Sheridan after 12 years and with a son she did not tell him about. Just kisses. But the story was heartwarming and good paced. Liked it!
Elliebit
The frustration of the past few days has caught up with me I think because I started blubbering towards the end of the book. Fast read, lots of morals involved which got somewhat tedious at times, but overall lent themselves nicely to the story. Admittedly, some made me rethink my own lessons that I need to learn yet...which is the sign of a good book, I suppose.
Luisa
Very complex book, diff plots, different point of views, has romance and women's fiction and some paranormal. I liked it because of all the different conflicts it covered and because even though you knew how it had to finish, it kept you guessing if it would finish that way. Excellent book, covers areas that are grey instead of black and white.
Kerri
Sweet story..give you hope for whats next in life..
Rosa

I have just started reading this author, and so far I have enjoyed her books. I don't need to type out the plot since that has been written numerous times before.

I will say that once I started it, I had to finish it. This book really held me in it's grasp. It was an easy read, I read it in one day and I really enjoyed it.
Cindi Chase
This book took me by surprise and I enjoyed it immensely. After reading this you will be left with the reminder that life is too short and we can’t take things back, so make the best of things as they come….no matter what the hand you are dealt. Angels are among us, always. I am looking forward to reading more by Barbara Freethy.
Kim
This is a multiple hanky book! Danny is near my son's age and wants to know his Dad. He goes to find him and tragedy strikes. Danny is in a coma and sets off a catalyst among every family member. Each character examines life and realizes life is short. Danny's guardian angel adds a spot of humor to an otherwise very sad book.
Kelley
Aug 01, 2011 Kelley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I had not read a romance in a long time and found this book to be very captivating. The main characters were three-dimensional, although some of the minor characters were a little stereotypical. The supernatural element lent a fascinating twist to the story. I became teary multiple times throughout.
KT
I would have given this book 4 stars if it weren't riddled with egregious typos. It was barely legible and I was extremely disappointed with the quality of the ebook. It made it very difficult to read. The story itself was very good so it's a shame that they let ebooks go out this way.
Shellie
One of her best!
Marylynn
A simple read. Something I would have enjoyed more when I was younger. Formula happy ending romance with a child involved. Those soul mate stories of lovers kept apart by forces beyond their control are just soap operas to me. It never feels like the real world.
Amy
One thing I can say is that Barbara Freethy's books are an easy read. Read this one in a day. Keeps you engaged and you want to know what happened to the character, but a lot of unnecessary text. Skimmed through a lot. Otherwise, was an enjoyable read.
Stephanie Diden
Absolutely loved this book!!! Such a great story on rekindled love. It will hook you in the first 2 chapters!
Cherie Reeves
I have a fundamental problem with extra martial affairs so I struggled with this book. It was a tear jerker. Daniel is between life and death trying to manipulate his parents together. Not a bad book, but not a great one either
Margaret
This is a book that keeps you reading until the end. The characters and the plot are a bit stereotypical, but somehow the author made me care about them, and I had to stay around to see how their story played out.
Annette Frost
I enjoy Barbara Freethy's books because they aren't your typical romances. There's always another, overarching story. The story of Daniel's accident and the reuniting of his family is sweet and a good weekend read.
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • The Betrayal
  • A Month At The Shore
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Starting Over (Treading Water, #3)
  • Touched By Angels (Loveswept, No 538)
  • Love in Bloom
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • Unfinished Business (Silhouette Intimate Moments #433)
  • When Angels Fall
  • Spinning
  • Jailbird
  • The Manicurist
  • Blind Faith (Caitlyn Tierney FBI Thriller, #1)
  • A Killing Tide
  • Home in the Morning
  • The Art of Ethan (Beaufort, #1)
  • From Within
Barbara's love of writing developed out of a love of reading. Growing up in an all-boy neighborhood, she spent quite a bit of time reading through her mother's large library, many of which were romantic novels. After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, she went into Public Relations, but soon discovered that writing was her true passion.

Barbara has since published 35 nov...more
More about Barbara Freethy...
Just the Way You Are Don't Say A Word Ryan's Return All She Ever Wanted Summer Secrets

“glass that the sea tossed up after years of being tumbled and turned by the waves and the salt water, finally landing on the sand as beautiful,” 0 likes