Start by marking “The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes

The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,198 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Timmy and his wife Goody attempt to save nuts for winter, but encounter obstacles.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1911)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes

Prashant
Apr 04, 2012 Prashant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Timmy Tiptoes a squirrel is working hard along with his wife to hoard food for the approaching winter.

I was not aware that squirrels dig holes in the ground to hide their winter hoards and then they have difficulty finding the same spot. I always felt that when it concerns food and survival almost all animals are more evolved then men.

Anyway, Timmy Tiptoes meets Chippy Hackee 'The Chipmunk' in very unusual circumstances and he is forced to live along with him because they have got themselves s
Srisurang
Jul 15, 2012 Srisurang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, young-adult
หนังสือนิทานประกอบภาพเลมเลกนีไดรับมาเปนของขวัญคะ ภาพสวยนารัก เนือเรืองกนาเอนดูดี เลมนีพิมพครังแรกปี 1911 รอยกวาปีแลว ทำใหรูสึกวาไดยอนกลับไปอานนิทานของเดกสมัยกอน เนือเรืองแปลกดีคะ มีสิงไมคาดคิดเลกๆ เชน ทิมมีถูกเขาใจผิดและแกลง แลวกไมจำเปนตองจบแบบทุกคนเขาใจถูกในทีสุด (มันเหมือนชีวิตจริงของผูใหญในสังคม) หรือการทีทิมมีกับชิปปีปวย อะไรเลกๆ ทีเปนความจริงในโลกจริงๆ ไมใชโลกของเดก แตกมีหลายอยางทีเหมือนอยูในโลกจินตนาการ เชน ทิปปีกับภรรยา(กระรอก)ใสเสือผา ถือรมในวันฝนตกอะไรแบบนี กนารักดี ...more
Emkoshka
Feb 28, 2013 Emkoshka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: illustrated, animals, 2013
Having spent a little of my childhood in England and Scotland, I have a soft spot for squirrels. The red ones. Not so grey squirrels; observing their frenetic antics in Washington, DC, I decided that they were creepy little critters, a thought confirmed by this tale. As Beatrix Potter's following grew, she picked up fans in America and this book was a concession to them, featuring the aforementioned critters, chipmunks and even a black bear. An allegory about bullying, isolation and being a free ...more
Rosanna Nafziger
Jan 15, 2016 Rosanna Nafziger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some critics consider The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes one of Beatrix Potter's lesser tales, a slapdash attempt to appease publishers with a Tale about North American wildlife. The plot may be a bit thin, but the real problem with The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes is little Chippy Hackee.

Chippy Hackee is a chipmunk who has run away from his wife and home to hang out in a hollow tree eating Timmy and Goody Tiptoes' stash of nuts. When a gang of squirrels push Timmy Tiptoes through the hole, Chippy is delighted
jacky
Feb 18, 2010 jacky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I was surprised that this book focused on husbands leaving their wives. The illustrations were cute, though. I've always found gray squirrels and chipmunks cute.
Kim
Dec 31, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not entirely sure what the lesson is, but I enjoyed the story. This one seems to have more science nature facts than the others I've read so far.
Maria Eleynita
Very clever Timmy and Goody Tiptoes. Short reads are always enjoyable to read mostly when it involves talking animals.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 26, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another Beatrix Potter book, originally copyrighted in 1911. A married squirrel couple gathers nuts for the winter but Timmy Tiptoes, the husband, is attacked by a group of squirrels who think he's been taking their buried nuts for his own.

Timmy encounters a chipmunk and together they are in a tree, the chipmunk having run away from his wife. Eventually the pair is discovered and things are sort of set right.

It's a rather strange tale, and I'm not sure what it's meaning is.
Natasha
Jan 17, 2015 Natasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Another bizarre Beatrix Potter story. Timmy Tiptoes is out collecting nuts for the winter with his wife, the other squirrels get the idea that Timmy has been stealing their nuts so they stuff him into a hole in a tree trunk.

Inside the tree he meets Chippy Hackee, a chipmunk, who has run away from his wife and who encourages Timmy to eat the nuts stored inside the tree trunk until he is too fat to fit back out of the hole.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Really odd tale about blaming the innocent and persecution and lack of love between spouses... but the art of the squirrel's was amazingly detailed and perfect. Also a book for my brother who didn't know till recently that squirrel's built nests in trees not underground.
Jonathan
Dec 20, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure I understood the subtext really, but there was a lot of handling of nuts, a bear, and two male characters who live apart from their wives for a certain amount of time. What could it all possibly mean?
Alicia
Apr 15, 2014 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this one to Evelyn tonight. It was cute but like a few other reviewers, I found it disjointed here and there. I stopped in a few places to check if I had skipped a page and then reread the section.
Fi♥4♥Love
A tale about two squirrels, Timmy and Goody Tiptoes, who are preparing for the oncoming winter and are foraging for food. But where to put the nuts??
And what about the other mischievous, bullying squirrels? Well, If you want to find out all about it, read on!
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Yayoi
Nov 01, 2015 Yayoi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've lived this book since 6years old.(30years ago!)
I really enjoy beautiful pictures. They made me happy.
Jazz
Sep 16, 2014 Jazz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true crime thriller about a polite part of the animal kingdom.
Wsclai
Nov 21, 2015 Wsclai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Squirrels collecting nuts.
Jenny
Dec 23, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
* 3.5 stars *
Dottie
One of the tales which I knew by heart at one time and now would have to read it to know anything at all. This little gem, however, holds a special place in my heart as it was my choice for my storytelling lesson -- assignment: tell -- not read-- a favorite story to a class of wiggly kindrergarten sturdents -- I still have the little fuzzy figurine of a grey squirrel with the furry tail which I used as a prop sitting in the curio case. Timmy ranks right on a par with Peter in my pick of the Pott ...more
Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection

Silvertail and Timmy Tiptoes are two wonderful names for squirrels. Never knew they usually forget the place where they hide their food.

4 stars because I feel that I need to differentiate it from the others, but, alas it's still not up to par with others such as The Tale of Peter Rabbit or The Tale of Benjamin Bunny.
Kaethe
This is about squirrels and chipmunks saving up nuts for the winter. On one level, the plot about what happens to the squirrel, it feels blandly generic. There is, however, an amusing comment on marriage in the reaction of Timmy and wife, Goody, to the events. Potter's is a very pragmatic view of marriage, is what I'm saying.

I own it.
Sam
Oct 28, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Beautifully written and illustrated tale following Timmy Tiptoes as he is accused of stealing nuts by the other squirrels and forced into a tree trunk where he meets a friendly chipmunk who looks after him until he can escape. A classic tale that will appeal to adults and children alike
Klelly
Jul 13, 2011 Klelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"For many unknown little friends, including Monica"

This is basically a story about squirrels getting really fat and hiding their nuts. and then singing, "who's been digging up my nuts??" Nobody ever answers! eventually they get a padlock. seriously.
kate
Mar 23, 2015 kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do not understand what happened in this tale. This is not a genre from which I expect an abstract Dali-esque menagerie of meandering animals with complicated relationships. Some elements, like the bird, are downright nightmarish.
Alana
Moral of the story: Beware of birds because they are assholes who will only cause you trouble. Also, don't leave your chipmunk wife because she's the best thing that will ever happen to you and you'll get sick if you do.
Steph
Nov 27, 2011 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a quaint little tale about woodland creatures trying to prepare for the winter. Even though other animals may threaten to take their food away from them, Timmy Tiptoes has another plan entirely!
Kathryn
Beatrix Potter does such an exquisite job in detail of her characters and her stories bring them to life.
Polly
We didn't actually own this one when I was a kid, so I found it somewhat fascinating because we only got it occasionally from the library.
VWrulesChick
Lovely little tales of truth for our impressionable generation through little stories of nature and animals. Lovely pictures, too!
  • But No Elephants
  • Slinky Malinki, Open the Door
  • Three Little Kittens
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack
  • Norma Jean, Jumping Bean
  • Yay, You!: Moving Up and Moving On
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees carousel book (Winnie-the-Pooh Carousel Book)
  • A Dog of Flanders (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Smudge, The Little Lost Lamb
  • Dinosaur Time
  • Mr. Messy (Mr. Men, #8)
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Red Is Best
  • Babar and Father Christmas
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • There's No Such Thing as a Dragon
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit