Start by marking “The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes

The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  943 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Timmy and his wife Goody attempt to save nuts for winter, but encounter obstacles.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1911)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes

Cheryl
A little long and a little confusing - not for toddlers. Timmy is relatively smart and wants to find a better way to store his nuts, but the other squirrels are bullies, and the chipmunk is an unlikable & eccentric character who frightens & bites his wife.

The more I think about the story, the more I like it - but for me, not for little children...
Prashant
Timmy Tiptoes a squirrel is working hard along with his wife to hoard food for the approaching winter.

I was not aware that squirrels dig holes in the ground to hide their winter hoards and then they have difficulty finding the same spot. I always felt that when it concerns food and survival almost all animals are more evolved then men.

Anyway, Timmy Tiptoes meets Chippy Hackee 'The Chipmunk' in very unusual circumstances and he is forced to live along with him because they have got themselves s
Srisurang
หนังสือนิทานประกอบภาพเล่มเล็กนี้ได้รับมาเป็นของขวัญค่ะ ภาพสวยน่ารัก เนื้อเรื่องก็น่าเอ็นดูดี เล่มนี้พิมพ์ครั้งแรกปี 1911 ร้อยกว่าปีแล้ว ทำให้รู้สึกว่าได้ย้อนกลับไปอ่านนิทานของเด็กสมัยก่อน เนื้อเรื่องแปลกดีค่ะ มีสิ่งไม่คาดคิดเล็กๆ เช่น ทิมมีถูกเข้าใจผิดและแกล้ง แล้วก็ไม่จำเป็นต้องจบแบบทุกคนเข้าใจถูกในที่สุด (มันเหมือนชีวิตจริงของผู้ใหญ่ในสังคม) หรือการที่ทิมมีกับชิปปี้ป่วย อะไรเล็กๆ ที่เป็นความจริงในโลกจริงๆ ไม่ใช่โลกของเด็ก แต่ก็มีหลายอย่างที่เหมือนอยู่ในโลกจินตนาการ เช่น ทิปปี้กับภรรยา(กระรอก)ใ ...more
Emkoshka
Having spent a little of my childhood in England and Scotland, I have a soft spot for squirrels. The red ones. Not so grey squirrels; observing their frenetic antics in Washington, DC, I decided that they were creepy little critters, a thought confirmed by this tale. As Beatrix Potter's following grew, she picked up fans in America and this book was a concession to them, featuring the aforementioned critters, chipmunks and even a black bear. An allegory about bullying, isolation and being a free ...more
jacky
I was surprised that this book focused on husbands leaving their wives. The illustrations were cute, though. I've always found gray squirrels and chipmunks cute.
Kim
I'm not entirely sure what the lesson is, but I enjoyed the story. This one seems to have more science nature facts than the others I've read so far.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Really odd tale about blaming the innocent and persecution and lack of love between spouses... but the art of the squirrel's was amazingly detailed and perfect. Also a book for my brother who didn't know till recently that squirrel's built nests in trees not underground.
Jonathan
Not sure I understood the subtext really, but there was a lot of handling of nuts, a bear, and two male characters who live apart from their wives for a certain amount of time. What could it all possibly mean?
Alicia
Read this one to Evelyn tonight. It was cute but like a few other reviewers, I found it disjointed here and there. I stopped in a few places to check if I had skipped a page and then reread the section.
Jazz
A true crime thriller about a polite part of the animal kingdom.
Dottie
One of the tales which I knew by heart at one time and now would have to read it to know anything at all. This little gem, however, holds a special place in my heart as it was my choice for my storytelling lesson -- assignment: tell -- not read-- a favorite story to a class of wiggly kindrergarten sturdents -- I still have the little fuzzy figurine of a grey squirrel with the furry tail which I used as a prop sitting in the curio case. Timmy ranks right on a par with Peter in my pick of the Pott ...more
Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection

Silvertail and Timmy Tiptoes are two wonderful names for squirrels. Never knew they usually forget the place where they hide their food.

4 stars because I feel that I need to differentiate it from the others, but, alas it's still not up to par with others such as The Tale of Peter Rabbit or The Tale of Benjamin Bunny.
Kaethe
This is about squirrels and chipmunks saving up nuts for the winter. On one level, the plot about what happens to the squirrel, it feels blandly generic. There is, however, an amusing comment on marriage in the reaction of Timmy and wife, Goody, to the events. Potter's is a very pragmatic view of marriage, is what I'm saying.

I own it.
Sam
Beautifully written and illustrated tale following Timmy Tiptoes as he is accused of stealing nuts by the other squirrels and forced into a tree trunk where he meets a friendly chipmunk who looks after him until he can escape. A classic tale that will appeal to adults and children alike
Kelly
"For many unknown little friends, including Monica"

This is basically a story about squirrels getting really fat and hiding their nuts. and then singing, "who's been digging up my nuts??" Nobody ever answers! eventually they get a padlock. seriously.
Katie
I do not understand what happened in this tale. This is not a genre from which I expect an abstract Dali-esque menagerie of meandering animals with complicated relationships. Some elements, like the bird, are downright nightmarish.
Steph
This is a quaint little tale about woodland creatures trying to prepare for the winter. Even though other animals may threaten to take their food away from them, Timmy Tiptoes has another plan entirely!
Kathryn
Beatrix Potter does such an exquisite job in detail of her characters and her stories bring them to life.
Polly
We didn't actually own this one when I was a kid, so I found it somewhat fascinating because we only got it occasionally from the library.
VWrulesChick
Lovely little tales of truth for our impressionable generation through little stories of nature and animals. Lovely pictures, too!
Marte Patel
This was a bit of an odd one. I found the storyline quite weird in places, and quite disjointed. The drawings are sweet, as always.
Lili
Beatrix Potter was a magnificent children's story teller and the books passed down through generations are still loved today
Connie
Timmy just celebrated his 100th anniversary in 2011 and was Beatrix Potter's only story with American animals. Hooray!
Esther Hong
Timmy & that whats-his-name chipmunk, uh, they're total assholes. Not so sure about the plot...sort of incoherent.
Chris
In a short story about a fat squirrel and his chipmunk buddy, Potter also comments on marriage.
Jenn
Don't put all your nuts in on tree.
Or
How wives dig their husbands out of trouble.
Theresa
english country-side culture as related by the author as animalistic personification
John Yelverton
A fun and delightful book from the creative mind of Beatrix Potter.
  • But No Elephants
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • Katy No-Pocket
  • Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever
  • Mr. Messy (Mr. Men, #8)
  • The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk
  • Red Is Best
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees carousel book (Winnie-the-Pooh Carousel Book)
  • Three Little Kittens
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • Father Bear Comes Home
  • Yay, You!: Moving Up and Moving On
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • There's No Such Thing as a Dragon
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Autumn Story
  • Hairy Maclary's Showbusiness
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle The Tale of Benjamin Bunny