Heart of a Knight

Heart of a Knight

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  503 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Product Description
RITA winner for Best Historical Romance

Britain, 1351. After an arduous exile to flee the darkness and danger sweeping her lands, Lady Elizabeth D’Auvers returns home to Woodell Castle, yearning only for her looms and her quiet life. To her astonishment, she finds the castle and farmlands thriving, thanks to Lord Thomas of Roxburgh, a knight errant whose...more
Published August 20th 2010 by Smashwords Edition (first published August 1997)

Megan
Nobody writes sensual (as in, creatively engaging all the senses and making that matter) quite like Barbara Samuel/O'Neal, and Heart of a Knight didn't disappoint in that sense. It did seem repetitive at times (yes, I get it, Dark Thomas is a big, dark, gigantic, threatening hulk of man), and I was pretty bored by the characters themselves for the first part of the book. My main problem was Thomas being all "I have a secret that must not be told, if the truth came out, it'd be a fate worse than...more
Cassia
Why we read historical romances we already know and what we look for in them we know as well.
I look for a good writing, well shaped characters, intriguing stories and a lot of passion.
This is what I found in "Heart of a Knight".

The main characters you immediately love.
The minor characters you like as well, as they do not simply stand as a corollary of the main couple - as frequently happens in romances - but show their feelings, their psycology and influence the story.

I also liked how the fight...more
~Leslie~
There are things are really liked in this story and things that prevented it from being a 4 star read. I love Barbara Samuel's use of language. She has a lyrical prose that is full of sensuality in its descriptions. But unfortunately that prose does not, in the end, serve this story well. It is an implausible tale of bastard son who fakes being a knight and falls for a lady. She also falls for him and somehow they must find a way to be together. The first thing that bothered me is that a bastard...more
Mary B.
This book was ok. Writing was excellent, as is typical of this author. The story was not for me, though. I didn't find Thomas to be very heroic. I didn't entirely like the way the two characters came together - Thomas having taken many of the peasants before falling in lust with Lyssa. It gave me the impression that he was dazzled more by her beauty and title than anything else, and I felt it was a rather low thing for him to do. Wasn't really buying the love. Also, it was just kind of boring.
Elaine Mcdonald
I would have rated this one higher if the beginning hadn't been so boring. I almost quit reading it. How many times does an author have to tell me the color of the H's eyes and hair. Totally too many times in this book. Descriptions were too wordy for me. I plodded through thinking at least I wouldn't want to stay up late to read it.

Then 1/2-3/4 through the books it did get better. The last 1/4 of the book was pretty good. I'm not sure the rest was worth reading to get to the end though.
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
I feel like if this book was a person it would be a fifty year old cat lady alcoholic that looks back on her life one knight (okay that was pun intended) one night and realizes that she at one point in time had so much potential and could have been great if she'd only laid of the booze and cat lovin'. Mainly I liked the concept where as the actual story is very dime store romance novel ick.
Diane
i am usually not at all crazy about medieval romances, but this one was a charmer. the hero is a knight who turns out to be a peasant, the heroine is a high-born lady who becomes less than a lady in her knight's arms, the wicked step-children take forever but do finally redeem themselves...it has about everything i could ask for in a romance with the requisite HEA!
Kari
Really enjoyed this one. 2 great characters that were both interesting and meant for each other. All characters came across likeable and/or believable, no bogus fill in the blanks people. Fantastic good guy alpha male and strong female in a very believable setting. If in doubt please do read it.
Misfit
Not worth reading further, all I'm picking up on is what looks to be an oversexed medieval in some dark broody kind of setting with way too many 'twas, 'tis and the like.
Angie
Synopsis: "Lady Elizabeth D'Auvers returns to her beloved home, Woodell Castle, after a self-imposed exile to save herself and her stepchildren from the plague sweeping Britain. Afraid that she will find death and ruin, she is relieved to discover that her castlefolk and lands have thrived in her absence due to the presence of Lord Thomas of Roxburgh. Lord Thomas's great physical size is equaled only by the size of his heart, and his kindness and care for her people earn him the Lady's gratitude...more
Rachel Skinner
I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I was touring Pembroke castle (Wales) on a stormy day, the only tourist in sight, and decided to find some appropriate reading material to keep me company while having lunch in the deserted cafe. I did a search for 'knight' on my kindle app and found I'd snagged Heart of a Knight a few months back while it was free, so jumped in.

My first impression was love/hate. Considering where I was at the time, the 14th century setting really came alive for me...more
Jeannie Lee
This really was not what I thought it was going to be. I must say this has been about the best romance book I have read yet this year! If you think this tale is about winning the heart of a knight, you are sadly mistaken! There is so much more to it than that.

I wasn't going to like Lady Elizabeth, based on the first few chapters of the book, but by the end of the book I did like her. It is hard for us modern women to understand just how ingrained it was in the young women in history, especially...more
Claire
Lady Elizabeth is a young widow who left her castle and all her peasants behind to run away from the plague. When she comes back she finds a stranger has taken over her home. Thomas is a nice guy but he just seems lame. Adriana is smart and has a lot of responsibility on someone so young. She knows what she should do but she is still young. Her niece is a dense blonde who needs a slap in the face.
The premise of the book was a good idea but I think it could have been executed in a better way. By...more
Michelle
Monica
Good historical romance

Good historical romance

This book contains many ups and downs both of the time (directly after the plague) and romantic twists. It is a good, easy read. I felt the characters could have been more complex and built up.
CB
I adore Barbara Samuel's books. She's an autobuy author for me.

However, I missed her romance novels when they were first published. So I was thrilled to find them offered in e-format.

As always, Samuel can't hit a false emotional note. Characters who, in other books, would be one-note are given unexpected depth. There's not a lot of action - most of the book takes place in the castle keep - but the characters are so human and so well motivated that I couldn't stop reading.

I agree with some of the...more
Ashley
I loved this book and everything about it. The characters were all multidimensional and fun to journey with--even outside of the romantic aspect of this novel. Barbara Samuel does well at weaving a story that sucks her readers in-- Thomas is a hero I rooted for from the moment I began reading, and Elizabeth's pain and suffering practically sprang through the pages. Very rarely have I read a book that I haven't been able to put down, and stay up well past a decent hour reading. This book had very...more
Marsha
The only thing I didn't like about this book was the rushed ending. Yes I know the author does give a rushed explanation of the marriage between Lyssa and Thomas but I think the author should have added a few more pages to give this book the "awwww" factor it deserved. By having King Edward walk onto the field, after Thomas wins the melee, to knight him right then and there in front of everyone would have been a better ending. Also since Isobel finally figured out her feelings for Sir Stephen th...more
Terree
I liked this book. Some characters made me very mad, which was a good thing! Some I could have done without... and I could have done with just a little more resoultion at the end... maybe an epilogue a little further in the future? But all in all I liked it. Was it all believable? No, its a work of fiction meant to entertain... I was entertained! I didn't understand some of the reasoning in certain scenes, but hey, it's not my book! I enjoyed it, it was a good weekend read! I look forward to rea...more
Lisa Shears
good book, some of the scenes in the book are a bit too long and boring and I had to skip a few pages because of this. Apart from this quite good if you want a old fashioned mills and boon kind of romance story.
Jay
In the world of romance novels plots as somewhat predictable. Its the characters that make or break the book and this author really gets that. Her characters are engaging, endearing and entertaining. Well worth the read!
Linda
It was OK, after a while it got a mite depressing. The context is too similar to the other B/Samuel book i recently read; Night of Fire in that the hero & heroine seemingly have insurmountable odds of getting married & a lot of above the board honourable intentions make them sacrifice their own happiness & reject the other & they part ways. & they are shattered. etc etc. After a while all that needless self sacrifice just palls. Strictly to be taken in small doses.
Anna Bowling
This is a historical romance with generous helpings of both. Thomas and Lyssa's story couldn't have happened at any other time; the wake of a deadly plague crosses class lines, and delves into the true meaning of nobility. For those who like their black moments *really* black, this fits the bill, and the payoff is well worth it. Highly recommended.
Adeselna
Pretty fictional, the story fails "historically". The cousin of the king in love with someone below in 13-ish is only a concept in these days. No one would ever dream to unite two opposite worlds so easily in the Middle ages. Writing is not dull, but the story is just a big no, if you think about the historical part.
Virginia Gill
The title of this book doesn't even begin to cover the full range of the story. It's rare that a book really transports me, this one did. Page by page I fell deeper in love with the characters and their joys and triumphs brought tears to my eyes. An excellent read.
Linda
A free ebook. Book was an enjoyable read, just a little more romance than I generally read. Well phrased, excellent grammar and punctuation. Quite informative regarding a nobleman's duty to his king and to those put in his charge.
liirogue
I enjoyed this - Samuel writes very well. But parts of the plot were a bit ridiculous and hard to believe. A peasant can learn how to sword fight in less than a year and beat trained knights? I don't think so...
Lola4
I really enjoyed this sweet, entertaining, although unrealistic romance. My only complaint was that it was rather repetitious, but since I enjoyed the story so much, I personally did not mind.
Carolyn
Another great author that I would never have found if I didn't have a Kindle! Wonderful medieval romance with an interesting twist. I will be reading more from this author.
Melissa
This book got off to a slow start. The characters were okay but it was the dialogue that I had a hard time with. It was very stilted. I ended up abandoning it.
  • Heaven's Fire (Fairfax Family #2)
  • Love from the Ashes
  • Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1)
  • The English Heiress (Royal Dynasty, #1)
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • The Bride Price (Civil War Brides, #1)
  • My Lady Gisborne: A Gisborne Novel
  • Texas Hold Him
  • A Knight's Honor
  • My Lady's Treasure
  • A Scandalous Past (Scandalous, #4)
  • Tides Of Love (Zebra Historical Romance)
  • Change of Heart
  • Christmas in Time
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • Colby's Child
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Spoil of War
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six...more
More about Barbara Samuel...
No Place Like Home The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue A Bed of Spices A Piece of Heaven Lady Luck's Map of Vegas