Start by marking “Highway 61 (Mac McKenzie, #8)” as Want to Read:
Highway 61 (Mac McKenzie, #8)

Highway 61 (Mac McKenzie #8)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  19 reviews
MacMcKenzie returns with a too-personal case that leads him up the legendary Highway 61 in the latest in David Housewright's awardwinning series

Rushmore McKenzie is a former cop, current millionaire, and an occasional unlicensed P.I. who does favors for friends. Yet he has reservations when his girlfriend’s daughter asks him to help her father Jason Truhler, the ex-husband...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Highway 61, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highway 61

BJ
The more I read this series, the more I like it. After walking away from being a cop to be a rich man instead, McKenzie still wants to do good. He manages to do this by "doing favors" for people who need help. I enjoy Housewright's wry sense of humor and the fact that he doesn't let his hero get too full of himself. I love the Minnesota setting, but I'm happy to read about rather than experience those long cold winters. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Larry
Rushmore McKenzie is a former cop who works, on occasion, as an investigator and problem solver. He lives in a St. Paul MN suburb and is fairly tough and funny, in a p.i./wise guy way. His long-time girlfriend's daughter asks Mackenzie to bail her father out of a tight spot,and it's a measure of McKenzie's regard for her that he accepts. Like Jim Thompson once wrote about crime novels in general, things are not as they seem. The former husband isn't quite so innocent of wrongdoing. In fact, he's...more
Daniel
I am only slowly starting to read more in the detective/mystery genre, and read this because of an author visit to a local library and because it features locations that I am familiar with.

I found this to be engaging, creating enough mystery and interest that I was willing to read each successive chapter, but not so engrossing that I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

The premise of the Rushmore McKenzie series is that McKenzie is an ex-cop who received a great deal of money by solving a ca...more
Max Everhart
One of the reasons I read (and write) crime novels is to experience danger without suffering any of the consequences. Call it what you will. Escapism. Wish fulfillment. Fantasy. But whatever label you want to put on it, I would argue it is a healthy way to indulge, and David Housewright’s PI novel Highway 61 is one thoroughly satisfying indulgence, a book totally worthy of adverbs.

In Highway 61, Rushmore McKenzie (great name!) is a recent millionaire and unlicensed PI who does favors for his fr...more
Richard Thompson
An enjoyable light read. The characterizations and plot in this one were a bit tighter than in THE TAKING OF LIBBY, SD but our hero, Rushmore McKenzie still comes across as a bit of a loose cannon.

19. MemoryWalk: Edmonton Street between 15th Avenue and Duchess Parks School is Highway 61 (flipped north for south, but we will ignore that...). At the Canadian end of the highway (at St. Giles Church) we see a gigantic, female Mountie in full dress uniform playing a saxophone. The the Louisiana end o...more
Sasscer Hill
I am delighted to have discovered David Housewright. His latest novel, Highway 61, kept my attention the whole way through, and Housewright's action scenes are edge of the seat. I am still reeling from the car chase!

Housewright's hero is an interesting study of a man who uses his wealth to help others on a very personal, self endangering level instead of donating to unknown, untouchable people on the far side of a charity organization.

I would recommend Housewright and this book to anyone who li...more
Betsy Osborn
Love this series Set in Minneapolis
Harvey
I do like this series featuring Rushmore McKenzie, independently wealthy ex-cop who likes to keep his hand in by doing "favors" for people. In this case the favor is for his girlfriend/fiance's daughter on behalf of the girl's father. This one does get a bit over-the-top violent but part of the theme is whether McKenzie has "crossed the line" in his approach to doing favors. Well-written, good development of ongoing characters without stifling the specific case/story. Good use of Minneapolis/St....more
Marla Madison
Fast moving suspense/crime novel. A few too many chase scenes for my taste, but action lovers will be happy with them. Interesting protagonist, even though he tends to be a little Charles Bronson-ish and sticks to his promise to his girlfriend's daughter to the point where the reader finds it a little hard to believe. Or take.
On the bright side, this is a very well written book with excellent dialogue. The characters are very well done, and the plot kept me reading until the end.

Kat
Rebecca
David Housewright creates great characters--a reluctant detective, a variety pack of nefarious evil-doers and several wise and beautiful women. These page-turners featuring ex-cop Rushmore McKenzie remind me somewhat of Stuart Woods' Stone Barrington novels. Housewright's St. Paul-area settings are creative. Not the usual settings and certainly not the usual cast of characters.
Clare
Just as the other people in McKenzie's life are concerned about him and drawing away, so am I. McKenzie seemed like a sneaky jerk and I didn't like him. he seemed to be helping for the wrong reasons and stonewalling for no good reason.
Joe O'c
Excellent; Continuing character: Rushmore McKenzie; McKenzie agrees to help his girlfriend's ex-husband at the request of her daughter, and find himself caught up in prostitution, drugs, murder, and blackmail
Kelly
McKenzie is a former cop and acts as an unlicensed PI. Set in Minnesota and Canada, the main character reminds me of Jance's Beaumont. Quite a good book. I will look for the earlier ones and hope for more.
June
Always enjoy reading about Rushmore McKenzie. Fast reading book, good story, great character!
Kathleen Ryan
As usual, Housewright tells a fun story centered in Minnesota. It's a quick fun read.
Steven Farmer
What can I say? He hooked me. Almost as good as John Sanford IMHO.
Al Stoess
Dec 20, 2012 Al Stoess rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Housewright fans. Mystery fans
Good work. Housewright writes an interesting novel.

Reread 12/19/12
Kevin Bokay
Good fast detective novel. Minnesota writer.
Evan
Evan added it
Sep 23, 2014
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Yashwin Kumar
Yashwin Kumar marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Duffy Pearce
Duffy Pearce marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
A reformed newspaper reporter and ad man, Housewright's book "Penance" (Foul Play Press) earned the 1996 Edgar Award for Best First Novel from the Mystery Writers of America and was nominated for a Shamus in the same category by the Private Eye Writers of America.

"Practice to Deceive" won the 1998 Minnesota Book Award (it is currently being developed as a feature film) and "Jelly's Gold" won the s...more
More about David Housewright...
A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1) Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2) Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3) Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6) Curse of the Jade Lily (Mac McKenzie, #9)