A Well Favored Gentleman (Fairchild Family, # 2)

A Well Favored Gentleman (Fairchild Family #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  813 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Where has she been? The rumors fly throughout the Scottish countryside about Lady Alanna, the beautiful and mysterious displaced mistress of Fionnaway Manor. And now she has emerged from hiding, only to find her beloved estate besieged by greedy relatives. . .and coveted by a darkly handsome Englishman.

Ian Fairchild knows that Fionnaway belongs to him alone. For years he y...more
Published March 1st 1998 by Avon (first published January 1st 1998)

Beanbag Love
Confusing paranormal elements.

Bizarre and somewhat squicky ... seduction.

Felt like it could have been much shorter.

Vague bad guys with a nefarious plot that makes little sense.

Deus ex machina ending.

For all that, some of it was charming. Too much weighing it down, though. I will try Dodd again, but I'll look for another sale price.
Janyn
I admit I'm not too fond of paranormal romance. I like a good ol' historical romance without any magic and such. I came to a conclusion that I wouldn't have minded it too much. Maybe that's part of the reason the book did not sell to me. But what mostly bothered me was SPOILER SPOILER the heroine being taken in her sleep O_O I just really cannot fathom how this can be considered romantic. There were some nice and funny parts though. I liked the "Dream of me" part and Ian's confession. But I thin...more
Lynne Tull
This was a "Nook" e-book read. I am beginning to get the hang of it and like the feel of it in my hand. This was the second book in a set and it was okay. I read it while I was on vacation and am just now commenting on it. All that comes to my mind is...seduction, lust, sex...over and over again. Quite boring. Also, it left some of the characters wanting for their stories, but I did not find any links on Ms. Dodd's web site to indicate there were any.
Susan
I'm surprised to see this book referred to as "paranormal" romance. I happen to dislike paranormal, and was disappointed when Christina Dodd began to write about shape-shifters etc, so feel compelled to defend this delicious historical romance. A Well Favored Gentleman has a great deal more in common with Dodd's delightful (and steamy) Governess Brides series than with her paranormal series. Yes, there is a touch of myth and magic here, inspired by local lore, but the story doesn't really hinge...more
Kathy
LJ
A WELL FAVORED GENTLEMAN - Okay
Dodd, Christina - 2nd in Well Pleasured series

Ian Fairchild knows that Fionnaway belongs to him alone. For years he yearned for the cherished place where he passed h...more
Cheap and Lazy
I love regencies with some fantasy woven in, especially if they include some pretty hot love scenes. Warning: if forced seduction is an issue for you, you'll want to pass on this one. While I wouldn't tolerate the hero's behavior in a contemporary romance, it worked for me in this setting. Both Ian (dark and brooding) and Alanna (proud and independent), as well as the other important characters, were nicely drawn (I especially enjoyed Wilda). The plot moved along well with a couple of surprises....more
Greymalkin
Anna
this is a great fairy tale set and one of my favorite Dodd stories
Rebecca
Still not sure if I'm a Christina Dodd fan and this book didn't help my decision. Almost put it down a couple of times because I felt that there were parts that were missing. By the end, I'd gotten a decent handle on what was going on but I was lost a bit getting there. The characters were likable but the story didn't flow that well partially because I was under the assumption that this was just a romance - I didn't realize that there were some paranormal elements. A shame, really, because with...more
Lynn Townsend
I'm not one of those purists who don't like magic in their peanut butter, but I do like knowing that's what I'm getting when I bite.

Be that as it may, the book was about 1820's selkies. So we have historical romance mixed with folklore. I'd have been ok with that, except that it wasn't until more than halfway through the novel that I realized that yes, the selkies WERE real.

If you're going to have magic in the peanut butter, give me the damn magic and don't poke at it half-heartedly.
Meaghan
kinda confusing sometimes... the writing was weird. but i enjoyed the story very much.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Anything to do with the sea will generally entrance me. This one is a mix of selkie and Scottish lore. I enjoyed it and can only wish there was more of a selkie presence. This was a sweet story of Ian and Alanna coming together for a happily ever after. The sacrifices from those in the book were sad and a bit unexpected. I recommend this book to people who love romance with a hint of ocean magic.
Annie
Wait...what? I have no idea what going on and who is doing what. What makes it worse is there's a random character introduces that comes from nowhere and this character jumps topics like the plot has so far...
I might pick it up gain when I'm drunk, or bored, or...high. Might make more sense then...
I mean, it has potential but I have NO clue what is happening.
Abi
I'm not sure why a lot of people found this book disappointing. I actually liked it. It's a combination of Romance, Magic, and everything else. The story is quite unique and it ended well enough, I don't know why a lot of people thought that the ending was hanging, it really wasn't... A definite must-read, if you're into the whole supernatural genre...
Cathy
I read this many years ago with it first came out but got the $1.99 Kindle download just offered. I'd forgotten how very good this was.
Thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this corner of Scotland, the characters, and the legends. Shed a few tears at the end.
Jessica
I enjoyed the book, but what irritates me is NOTHING indicated that it was a paranormal historical romance.

Although I would have read it anyway, at the moment, I was looking for a certain type of story, and I got something totally different.
April
What a great story! I laughed and cried many times! Such wonderful writing and really engaging characters!! I love this authors work!!

I am currently on a Regency kick and this one was terrific!!
Andrea
I've read this one before and it was great to read it again. I love magical creatures and it is interesting to get to see how folk tales can make their way in literature.
Celine
Needed a light read after my last four books dealt with war, slavery and prejudice. This book is a no thinker with romance and fantasy.
Darlene
I liked it. A paranormal historical romance. Setting is Scotland and includes the legend of Selkies. Really good book, fantastic ending.
Deb
Not typical of Christina Dodd and not one of my favorite books by her. Too much mysticism, and sorcery with selkies etc.
Delia
so far so slow.....but it picked up the pace somewhat.....really liked the "supernatural" elements to the story......
Erin
Scottish romance set in 1800. Surrounded by mystery and magic, set at a large estate by the ocean. I recommend!
Marcella
Very disjointed story did not flow or really make sense until the end and then it left you hanging
Tiffany
I liked the characters but when both old english and supernatural are involved it looses me a bit
Jessica
Cute story. A little over the top at the end but still cute. I will be reading the next one.
Kristine
I'm a huge Christina Dodd fan, but this one didn't do it for me.
Terree
I liked it. I liked how the fantasy wasn't too far out there :)
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jul 15, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal historical romance
Shelves: romance, read-in-2010
These characters are great, the plot is OK.
Help once again? 1 5 Aug 13, 2012 01:00PM
  • Rebel (Florida Civil War, #3)
  • No Choice But Surrender
  • Forbidden Magic
  • Tall, Dark, and Dangerous
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)
  • Pirate
  • Wicked Seduction (Wicked, #2)
  • A Season For Scandal: Tangled Reins & Fair Juno
  • Prince of Seduction (The Royal Chronicles, # 2)
  • Dreaming
  • Shifting Hearts (Wiccan Haus, #1)
  • My False Heart (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron, #1)
  • Uncertain Magic
  • Awaken, My Love
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • Faery Queen (Realm Immortal, #2)
  • The Game
  • Pale Moon Rider
Join Christina's mailing list for upcoming book news, book sales and entertainment delivered right to your inbox! http://christinadodd.com/newsletters/...

In 2014, Christina is publishing the Lost Hearts series in e-book, all enhanced with extra material:
-- JUST THE WAY YOU ARE
-- ALMOST LIKE BEING IN LOVE
-- CLOSE TO YOU
And Christina's all-new series, Virtue Falls, starts with:
-- THE LISTENER: A Vi...more
More about Christina Dodd...
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1)