Start by marking “My First Time: A Collection of First Punk Show Stories” as Want to Read:
My First Time: A Collection of First Punk Show Stories

My First Time: A Collection of First Punk Show Stories

Everyone remembers their first punk show...
Blake Schwarzenbach (Jawbreaker / Jets to Brazil)
"I wanted to live with Exene and have her read the Bible to me, but I wanted to sleep in Chavo's closet at the Black Flag church, under an American flag with cigarette burns in it. Lee Ving would be my uncle who would teach me about horse racing, and would let me drink one beer whil
Published May 1st 2007 by AK Press

To ask other readers questions about My First Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My First Time

Chris duncan
Jan 17, 2008 Chris duncan rated it it was amazing
well maybe im bias.but i think its the best book ever.
catechism
I will admit it, guys: There is not a lot I love more in the world than stories about How Punk Rock Saved My Life, and this book has many such stories. Most of them are pretty short, only a page or two, and they’re mostly by people who Do Stuff in punk. They’re in bands (Blag Dalia, John Poddy, Blake Schwarzenbach) or they write books (Michael Azerrad, Chris Walter, George Hurchella), something like that, but some of my favorite ones are by regular joes.

For example, I love the one by Anna Kanaan
Morgan (Turbo)
Oct 22, 2016 Morgan (Turbo) rated it liked it
Easy read. Most stories were basically the same but the following really stood out: Daren Walters, Steven Sciscenti, and Craigums. Makes me nostalgic for my first show.
Amy
Jul 28, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
Pete was nice enough to pick this up for me at Ameoba Records while I attended the conference that brought us to San Fran. This was supposed be a zine but wound up in book format. It allowed me to reminisce about being a kid in NY in the late 80's and all the trips we'd make to CBGB's to see 5 bands for $5 on Sunday afternoons. I can't for the life of me remember what the first show I saw was - Sick of It All, Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, Token Entry...I just don't know. What I do know know ...more
Lauren
Mar 24, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it
I really wanted this book to be better than it was. But in the end it was kind of boring. All the stories in here are short - like 2 or 3 pages - and all say exactly the same thing: I went to a show, it changed my life, I'm punk forever. It is nice to read a book full of stories about how once you are a punk kid there is no turning back, and how you'll always feel slightly apart from those that haven't had this experience, but I think this book had way more potential than was used. I actually di ...more
matt
Oct 22, 2007 matt rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who romanticize dingy clubs and the shitty bands that are housed there
It should come as no surprise that the writing style varies in this collection of first punk show-going experiences. But like some of the clumsy bands that graced those stages, this book actually benefits from the 'warts and all' aesthetic that its centered around.
I'll be damned if these anecdotes didn't make me all teary-eyed for my first real "punk" show which if my memory serves me correctly was The Bouncing Souls/Blanks 77/John Cougar Concentration Camp at the Stone Pony. I still wrestling
shana naomi
Mar 28, 2010 shana naomi rated it liked it
the redundancy in some of these stories is also the point -- the focus on what to wear to your first show, which band names to draw on your jacket/shoes/bag, whether to mosh, how to get your parents to let you out of the house, straight edge or not -- it's all a great way to underscore that the different details of which band and where are all in a way subservient to the overall PUNKness of the experience.

among the trends i'd forgotten to credit punk with: the dissolution of the fourth wall. yo
Kellz
Jun 07, 2011 Kellz rated it liked it
meh. i picked this up at Socialism 2009. i was on a budget and this was a "different" kind of title for our book fair. one problem here is that some of these stories are well written and some of them are just boring. but my real gripe is that they're all kind of the same (with a few exceptions): same bands. same time frame. same age. and i think the real question is...what is so special about this "first time"? is there a unifying experience or lessons learned? why would i want to read about a s ...more
Eric
May 15, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
My friend Becky gave this to me. It's interesting stuff. I guess this was going to be a zine, but ended up being a bit more than that with a bunch of stories from lots of different people. It's making me nostalgic. At first I wasn't convinced, but the more of these short essays I read, the more I like it.
Go on, AK Press. Keeep it up.

Additional:
Like a good zine, this is well done, but also a pretty quick read. There is a good mix of people represented here, over a large span of time. Good stuff.
Ben
Jul 11, 2009 Ben rated it liked it
uh so i wrote a piece in this book and i'm definitely not a professional writer. the book has a fanzine feel and the quality of the writing certainly varies. i'm flattered if anybody actually reads what i wrote but i really had fun reading all the other stories. sure there are some common themes but i think anybody that is or was into punk/hardcore will get something outta this collection of stories. it'll definitely make you laugh and reminisce about being young and dumb if nothing else.
Thomas
Jan 14, 2008 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Old punk rockers, New punk rockers, music lovers
Recommended to Thomas by: Joe Skin
Got this as a gift from the singer of my old band and loved it after just reading some of the back cover quotes. Having gone to my own first show back in 1987 - I know how important and life-changing an event it can be and it was great to read stories from various "celebs" of the scene and what it meant to them.
Morgan
Sep 24, 2010 Morgan rated it really liked it
It is a really great collection of punk stories. It really gets into the inside of what young punk life really was. It was not glamorous, it wasn't ideal, but it was fun and awkward and scary! It is really great to see the insights from famous people and the truth behind the punk scene!
Mickey Nolan
Nov 08, 2007 Mickey Nolan rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
Excellent collection of essays detailing a bunch of folks' first punk show. A lot of variety in writing style, perspective and experience. I highly recommend this to anyone into punk, hardcore and independent culture.
Darren
Sep 14, 2007 Darren marked it as to-read
I have a a story in this book. Chris is also one of my very best friends. I have yet to see the finished product, but I'm sure it's great!
James
Feb 01, 2008 James rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Reading this made me sad in a way I can't describe.
Lowell Greenblatt
Lowell Greenblatt rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Hardcover Hearts
Feb 24, 2009 Hardcover Hearts marked it as to-read
Shelves: wish_list
My friend Chris Duncan wrote this and I cannot wait to read it.
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2010
James
James rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2010
Sean Cummins
Sean Cummins rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2009
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Matthew Liebman
Matthew Liebman rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2009
Daniel Shields
Daniel Shields rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2011
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Kewpie
Kewpie rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2010
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
May 20, 2012
Dylan Zeman
Dylan Zeman rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2011