Sold to the Highest Bidder

Sold to the Highest Bidder

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  661 ratings  ·  101 reviews
All she wants is his name on the dotted line. He’s got other ideas…

For Ella, marrying Devin had seemed like a good idea at the time. Friends since childhood and in love with him for as long as she could remember, marriage had been the next logical step. Then the real world called, and Ella’s feet had itched to get out of Backwards Gulch, Colorado. Now, with a new opportuni...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Samhain Publishing (first published April 13th 2010)

Anne OK
Review when I catch up! But it's good -- very good! I liked the story -- sort of reminds you of "Sweet Home Alabama" but a bit more dramatic.
MaryReadsRomance
3.5 Stars A very rare moral contemporary romance that I would love to rate higher if I could. An intensely emotional ride to find out what happened to this pair of young married lovers, Ella and Devin, and whether they will recover and have a second chance or at long last divorce and move on.

Loved the hero. His back story (view spoiler) and his u...more
KatLynne
Oct 17, 2011 KatLynne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to KatLynne by: Freebie for my Kindle
Fairly good free Contemp that held my interest until the end. I would have given this a higher rating if I had liked the heroine better. There were a few other minor things but overall, a pretty good read with an epilogue that I liked.

Jolene
I've had this sitting in my kindle for a little while and am so glad I finally opened it up to read it. I'll point out the obvious and say there were some similarites in the plot to Sweet Home Alabama, but there were also a lot of differences so it didn't feel like a repeat of the movie to me. I really enjoyed the authors writing style and was sucked into this story. There were a few times I felt like knocking the characters head's together and thought they were both so stubborn and had wasted s...more
Lola4
A better than average little romance that turned out to be not as predictable as first assumed. What started as just another re-write of Sweet Home Alabama was soon taking some unexpected twists and turns. I probably didn't enjoy the story as much as I would have if I had found the heroine likable or even tolerable, but I found her to be obnoxious, self-centered, immature, and foolish, and even though the author tried to portray the idea that the relationship problems were mutual, that plot devi...more
Nicky
I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars for this. This wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting a quick, fun, mindless sexy read. It wasn't anything like that. It was a roller coaster of emotion. Half the time, I was annoyed with the characters, the other half, their story broke my heart. This was frustrating to read, but at the same time worth the struggle.

This is the story of a couple who married young and separated soon after. Years later, the wife returns to try to get in person the divorce she's...more
JoAnne Kenrick
I really enjoyed it, and found it to be quite similar to 'Sweet Home Alabama' with touches of 'Erin brocovich'.
I almost read it all in one sitting. It was highly enjoyable. I'll be checking out more of Donna's work.
Nicola Marsh
Sweet and sexy.
Rose May
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

This book was great for so many reasons, the first of which is Alward’s talent for writing. Her emotion, her conflict, her descriptions were all concise, yet beautiful and dramatic. There was one page that really took my breath away, written from the hero’s perspective, as he and Ella made love. It wasn’t about the sex, really. I mean, he was still present in the sexual m...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
3.5 Stars

I was extremely excited to win this book on Goodreads. It was my first book win EVER so I was bouncing of the walls when I found out. When the book arrived I was like a kid in a candy store to see that it had a 'signed by the author' sticker on the front. Living 5 hours away from the nearest capital city and not reading any Australian authors has left my bookshelf completely empty of signed books - so you can just imagine how excited I was......until I opened it up and there was no sign...more
Shawna Romkey
Sold to the Highest Bidder is a sexy, fun read! The characters are vibrant and real, the setting is folksy and authentic, and the feelings the story evokes are intense.

I found both of the main characters interesting and developed. They were universal, identifiable. I know these two people. I've felt the way the heroine feels and I've loved men similar to him. They were easy to relate to and understand as the course of their past relationship collided with the present.

I love Alward's use of langu...more
Babs
Ella & Devin got married at a young age. Ella couldn't take it and wanted out of Colorado and make something bigger for herself. She couldn't see them making it big in the world. Ella has been asking or a divorce and even sent papers a few times, but Devin never signs them. Ella comes back to town to get the papers signed after 12 years of trying and bids on Devin who is in an auction. She hopes with being with him for 48 hours he will sign the papers. Devin hopes with the 48 hours he can ch...more
LorettaLynn

This is a great story!
It is not you average show of the meal romance. There is a lot of mist trust going on and it starts early on, even before the story starts to take shape. However, even with all the mist trust and bad feelings Love and romance start to take hold to old friend’s old lover. For so many years they lost there’s self’s. Thinking the other was lost.
I love the charters in this book; Ella is a strong and stubborn woman who thinks she known’s just what she wants. Then there is Devin...more
Suzie Quint
This was okay. The resolution bothered me a bit because it all hinged on the hero telling the heroine he loved her, but it seemed to me that if he's refused to sign divorce papers for 12 years that one would have to know he was still emotionally invested. I never really bonded with the heroine because of that and because she was so unwilling to bend. She was the one who walked away from her marriage, hoping he'd come after her. Yes, she was young at that time, but 12 years later should have adde...more
Mindy
I didn't know what to expect from this book. It turned out to be a moderately well written and not entirely cliche romance novel. In a genre where it seems books are pushed out too fast with too little consideration to plot or writing this book stood out. The plot centered on two people who fell in love and married at a young age. Separated for twelve years they reconnected, struggled, and then reunited. The writing wasn't exactly poetic and at times slightly boring. There were a few very notice...more
Anna
I really enjoyed this book, more than I expected I would. It had more depth, and some twists to the story that I didn't expect.

Someone else commented that the story line was similar to the movie Sweet Home Alabama, and it was, although the heroine in this book wasn't engaged to anyone else. This couple had been in love since childhood but what kept them apart was an appalling lack of communication. And pride on both their parts!

I would recommend it as a quick, heartwarming read.

Anne
I got this book for free on Kindle. I would have been disappointed had I paid for it.

Maybe I wasn't in the mood for a hardcore romance, but I never really engaged in the story (and the writing of some of the "romance" scenes - and the rest of the book - disappointed me). I didn't feel any sympathy for any of the characters. I thought the story was predictable. That said, I opted to finish the book rather than walk away...
McKayla
Okay so this is like Sweet Home Alabama. I liked that movie so I knew I would like this book. I was not disappointed. The story was so good that before I new it I was over half way done. Just when I thought it would take me awhile to find another book I loved I find this treasure. And I got it for free from B&N on my Nook. I even cried three times...and when a book does that it's good!
K.
This book opens with a very determined Ella who sets out to track down her estranged husband, Devin, to finalize their divorce. However, she quickly learns that getting Devin to agree to a divorce is better said than done. If you enjoyed the movie Sweet Home Alabama then you'll certainly enjoy this book.
Voirey Linger
Great story with some well-crafted and unexpected twists. We-ll written and enjoyable, it played on some classic romance tropes in unexpected ways. Overall, it was an enjoyable and believable read.

This is a contemp with a category voice and will appeal to fans of Harlequin.
Summer
Initially starting this book it totally reminded me of the move 'Sweet Home Alabama'. There are a lot of similarities, but many differences too. I really enjoyed the twists and turns that you come to find out later on in the book. An excellent read!
Amy
What a cute book--reminiscent of Sweet Home Alabama. :) I loved the characters, loved who they became, and what they did...I cried when we found out why Devin did what he did for Betty. There was heartache that ended just as it should--happy.
Trizzan Blair
I read this book in one night, a great love story with a funny side to it. I like love stories that have a bit of humor to. It makes reading them so much easier. Can't wait to see what else Donna has written. So easy to get lost in her books :)
Nubia Sanchez
Who would have thought that this two character would have a second chance in love and save their marriage! This book show how love can conquer all and give anyone a second chance even if it comes from bidding each other.
Sharon
The story was similar to "Sweet Home Alabama" but I liked the story line. Considering that I loved the movie a lot, I found this book much better than the movie itself. It was definitely fun and a quick read.
Maylin
Surprisingly thoughtful book with characters who are trying to make the right decisions for everyone and learn from the mistakes of their past. A good balance of story, emotion and erotica.
Pepper Flanagan
I could not put this book down. Read this one in under seven hours. I was surprised that I enjoyed it so well, have not had good luck with a lot of the free nook books from Barnes & Noble.
Elaine
Entertaining story with some interesting twists along the way.

If you are looking for some likeable characters, a good plot, and some spicy lovemaking, you'll enjoy this tale.
Cc
Nov 28, 2011 Cc rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, ebook
I kept thinking I knew where this story was going and each time Ms. Alward surprised me with an unexpected plot twist. The HEA was more believable than saccharin.
Tracy
Great book! This book was hard to put down. The characters were awesome and loved the tension in their story. I will be looking to get more books from this author.
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Bridleton
  • Love from the Ashes
  • Logan's Redemption
  • Dear Cupid
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • Lynda's Lace (City Heat, #1)
  • Lady Deception
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • SEALed with a Kiss (SEALed, #1)
  • Tears Like Rain (Trails West Trilogy, #1)
  • Call Me (Joker's Wild, #1)
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Kissing Kelli  (Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy, #1)
  • Wish On The Moon
  • Seaborne (Seaborne #1)
  • Interlude in Pearl (Pearl #2.5)
A busy wife and mother of three (2 daughters and the family dog), Donna Alward believes hers is the best job in the world: a combination of stay-at-home mom and romance novelist.

An avid reader since childhood, Donna always made up her own stories. She completed her Arts Degree in English Literature in 1994, but it wasn't until 2001 that she penned her first full-length novel, and found herself ho...more
More about Donna Alward...
Hired by the Cowboy (Windover Ranch #1) Proud Rancher, Precious Bundle Rodeo Rebel (Texas Rodeo Barons, #0.5) How a Cowboy Stole Her Heart (Larch Valley, #4) Marriage at Circle M