Start by marking “Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)

Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  932 ratings  ·  169 reviews
With the scandalous nature of her birth to live down, Isabella Fairmont dreams of a proper marriage, even if a passionless one. She saves her deepest desires for the novel she dares to pen, wherein a handsome lord with dark powers seduces her. But then her courtship with an appropriate suitor is threatened by the sudden attentions of the reclusive Earl of Black, whose pale...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 21st 2011 by HQN Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Seduction & Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seduction & Scandal

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLeanCall Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsJust Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
2011 Romance
139th out of 384 books — 811 voters
Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia QuinnSeduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa KleypasWhen He Was Wicked by Julia QuinnScandal in Spring by Lisa KleypasNine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean
"I've Loved You for Years."
219th out of 611 books — 695 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawna
Apr 30, 2011 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of dark, sensual, gothic historical romances
5+ stars – Victorian Historical Romance

Charlotte Featherstone’s Addicted and Sinful are two of my favorite historical romances, so I was thrilled when I heard she was coming out with a new Victorian historical romance series from HQN Books. I was very fortunate to receive an early copy of the first book in The Brethren Guardians, Seduction & Scandal, from NetGalley, and it far surpassed my high expectations.

Charlotte Featherstone's writing has a unique, lyrical quality and such beautiful, re...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...
There’s just something about Charlotte Featherstone’s writing that sweeps me away into another time and place, and I don’t feel like I’m merely reading a story, but living a dream!
The first time I met Death, it was at a ball and we danced a waltz, and I feared him, feared the things he made me feel, made me want. That night I ran from him, but Death was right behind me, chasing me and I wanted him to catch me.
Isabella Fairmont is a young woman who has known hunger, pain and scandal. The illegit...more
Juliana
A gothic romance worth reading, but was definitely uneven for me (3.5 stars)

So I know I'm the odd-woman-out on this one, but while some aspects of this book were really superb, I had several issues that stopped it from being stellar for me. This is my first Charlotte Featherstone book, though I've been wanting to read her book Sinful for awhile, and I definitely think she's a talented author and one I will seek out in the future.

Praise
The hero and heroine were wonderful as individuals and toget...more
Rane
I adore how Charlotte's Featherstone seems to weave a dark and seductive web with her almost poet writing, with her characters that are heartbreaking real in their love and passion that ignites between them- molds them, changes them, heals them.
CF starts off with a almost dark velvet web that binds the reader in the first of The Brethren Guardians series Seduction & Scandal.

Isabella Fairmont is a dreamer, whom writes her most fondest and darkest desires into a book, keeping herself sepa...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
3.5 stars out of 5

I sometimes think I'm not sophisticated enough for a Charlotte Featherstone novel. I know her writing is supposedly like poetry, full of sensuality, magical (I almost wrote magically delicious- Lucky Charms anyone?), and all that other touchy feely stuff. However, I prefer more of the direct approach with my words and my actions. If you like me, come tell me, if you want some, come ask. Nuff said!

Being in the head of a Featherstone character is like drowning on angst, misery, l...more
Dina
Loved it, loved it, loved it!

Review to come later...

Death has never looked so tempting...
Photobucket

Note: I received this eARC from Harlequin via NetGalley. That had no influence on my review/rating.
Sammy, Halloween Monster Sex Guru
3.5 Not So Scandalous Stars

Isabella's mother was a passionate woman. A rake seduced her into being his mistress.

kissing

Scandal ruined her reputation and she was forced to move away from society. Once he'd had his fill of her, she was cast aside and left to became a whore. Trading sex for money in order to survive.

After Isabella's mother passed, she moved to live with her uncle, the Marquis of Stonebrook. She has just been introduced to London society via her uncle and she has no intentions of making t...more
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
Lord Black said to Isabella:
"Say it, whisper it, let me hear my name on your lips, let me feel your lips against my skin as you say it."

3.5 stars. I rounded up to 4 stars since the prose is beautiful and there's one magical word: sensuality.

Where do I start? Some aspects of Seduction & Scandal were wonderful. Then again, I had a few issues that prevented it from being exceptional.

The dark and secretive hero, Lord Black (Jude Sheldon), was gorgeous, very sensual, and utterly delicious. While...more
Emily May
"THE FIRST TIME I MET DEATH, IT WAS AT A BALL AND WE DANCED A WALTZ..."

Well, with an opening line as intriguing as that I found my already high expectations sky-rocketing. I admit that I don't usually read historical romances as I tend to be rather against the patronisation of women and the whole death-by-corset thing they had going on back then. This, however, had excellent ratings by the few lucky enough to get an ARC copy and also that title speaks to me - I cannot resist a bit of scandal (or...more
Holly
PHENOMENAL STORY TELLING!!!

Seduction & Scandal is the first book in the Brethren Guardian Series, and if it's any indication as to what is to come I simply can't wait!! Now, the fact that the author is a dear friend in no way affects the fact that I think her writing is simply magical! It just is!! I loved this story and the concept so much, I am going to attempt a brief review, I know I won't be doing this story justice though, just please, check it out for yourself!!

Isabella Fairmont is a...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
WARNING: If you’re actually into this genre and want a serious review avoid this. There be demons ahead!

You may think I’ve lost my mind for reading this but there’s a reasonable explanation for it. I’m in the mood to make fun of something. My friend Aly, who’s a huge fan of historical romance novels, couldn’t finish this. So of course I did the obvious thing.

No, I didn’t kill it with fire you silly monkeys. I got the book and set out to read it just to make fun of it. You know, make the routine...more
Jill

"I must confess I do rather like the opening."

So says Isabella Fairmont regarding the opening passages of her secretly written novel of Lord Death, a dark, gothic romance. Isabella's real life though, is as far from the pages of her romance novel as is possible. And she wants it that way. Boring and safe. But Isabella's life is about to change. Enter Jude Sheldon, the Earl of Black.

Black, neighbour to Isabella, rarely ventures out from his townhouse. He is mysterious, secretive. And pas...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release: Date: June 28, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: HQN
Author’s Website: http://www.charlottefeatherstone.net/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, The Brethren Guardians
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Hot

As of this moment, I’ve spent about two hours writing and re-writing this review. Why, do you ask? For the simple reason that nothing I say seems to accurately descr...more
Not only was “Seduction & Scandal” my first Charlotte Featherstone read, it was also my very first historical romance read as well. I went into reading this not really knowing what to expect as I’ve always been apprehensive about the genre. Needless to say, the first page grabbed me, held me, consumed me, until I just had to sit down and read it in its entirety; until two in the morning. When it was over, I was heartbroken because I didn’t have the next one to pick up and start reading. I ha...more
Ruth
My thoughts about this one are quite mixed. It’s the first Charlotte Featherstone I’ve read, and there were some things I enjoyed and others that just felt they weren’t as good as they could have been.

I received it through netgalley.

Things I liked:-

- The theme of the series is really a nice mixture of the mythical, romantic and historical. I think this is what actually made me read on and finish the book - I just wanted to know what happened. It also left me really wanting to read the other two...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
4 to 4 1/2 stars

Right from the start Seduction & Scandal swept me away into a world full of mystique, yearning, secrets, and mystery.The prose felt gothic, ethereal, andlyrical. It was a treat toimmerse myself in the sensual and provocative words.

I was captivated, intrigued, and loved the hero of this book, Jude Sheldon, the Earl of Black. Lord Black is a dark, mysterious, and fascinating character.His devotion, desperation, and desire for the book's heroine, Isabella Fairmont, was at times...more
Alycia
I loved this first Gothic inspired tale (historical romance) from Ms. Featherstone. The first in the Brethren Guardians Trilogy.

Isabella Fairmont wants nothing more than a staid and albeit safe life. Mostly due to her mother's heartbreak and fall, Isabella does not desire passion. She hides behind her notions of what is right, but expresses herself by penning a hauntingly beautiful and passionate story about a woman being seduced and ultimately loved by Death.

Lord Black, a mysterious and reclus...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
4.5 Stars

Seduction & Scandal is a captivating adventure filled with passion, intrigue and a touch of paranormal magic.

From the moment I started reading to the very last word the one thing that was constantly going through my mind was -Charlotte Featherstone is utterly flawless in the way she portrays history. Every description, every spoken word, ever reference is perfection.

The Earl of Black is a completely drool worthy hero, he’s sexy, he’s masculine and he is completely devoted to winning...more
Gabriella *is awesome*
2.5 stars....disappointed stars :/ Because this book really could have scored more than 2.

I just cant decide....did i kinna like this one...or did i NOT... :/

description

seriously i just have Nooo idea...this book seems to have as many - points, as its + .... :P

one min im lovin it and the next im like ...."WHAT THE HELL YOU TWO,CAN U JUST STOP HAVIN SEX THERE FOR A MINUTE ! PEOPLE ARE DYING OUT HERE ! ".Lol...seriously the sex scenes were just that badly timed...

Honestly im not a prude, but come one even i...more
Given my track record in category historical romances, some might wonder why I keep panning for gold amongst the muck. The answer, my friends, is either sheer stupidity or eternal optimism -- I haven't decided which, but my ego would prefer the latter.

Despite the ill-famed DNF tag, let me start by mentioning what I liked. From a technical standpoint, the writing was fine -- it didn't make me wince, gag, or punch the wall. I daresay some scenes were prettily written. I enjoyed the interwoven pas...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Seduction & Scandal is the first in The Brethren Guardians series by Charlotte Featherstone. Isabella Fairmont is the niece of the Marquis of Stonebrook, who has taken her in when her mother and grandmother die. Now having the things she often longed for as a child, Isabella feels that one day her past will catch up with her and it will all be taken away. The Earl of Black is a man of mystery with many secrets. Secrets that must be guarded. But he can't deny the feelings he has for the lovel...more
Maldivianbookreviewer
Seduction and Scandal by Charlotte Featherstone is a novel that seems to have received its fair share of raving reviews prior to its release date which is set for the 28th of this month. The first book in The Brethen Guardian series, Featherstone introduces the reader into a world steeped in mystcism, religion, red-hot passion and love that is bound to make for an interesting and engrossing tale.

Seduction and Scandal introduces us to the three guardians whose life and the life of their sons are...more
Shell Schroth
Mystery, Drama, Romance and SEX.... Hot, angsty sex.

Can't ask for anything more. To be honest this is the first Featherstone book that I really enjoyed.

Although, I didn't NOT like her other novels, they just seemed lacking something for me. This was the first Featherstone I felt connected to.

It was paranormal without screaming it out loud.

Overall, an enjoyable getaway.

Happy Reading
Cyn Mistress Kitty
WOW, Loved, loved, loved this book but of course I knew I would since it was written by one of my favorite authors.

Lord Black was so sexy and mysterious and intense he just made the story sizzle. And the way he and Isabella interacted all I can say is WHEW!!

I can't wait to read the other books in this series.

Well done Ms Featherstone, well done.
Mrs. Badass
Took me SIX days to finish this novel when usually I can read a book in a few hours. There is nothing wrong with this book.

3.5/5

This is a well written novel. There are no glaring errors or things of that ilk. The characters were well written. They each had their own personalities and eccentricities. I actually liked all the characters themselves. For me though, this novel was rather slow. I was also a bit confused.

Our heroine wants to be a "Lady Novelist" So she is writing her own story, and t...more
Lisa
Sigh, what a good book. The writing was just excellent and beautiful! Isabella Fairmont has had a scandalous upbringing due to her mothers many liaisons and it has made Isabella realize she needs a stable marriage, even if it is passionless. She has been writing a story about a handsome man with silver blue eyes named Death and that is where she pours her passion out. When she attends a ball one night with her cousin, Lady Lucy with whom she is living with now as her mother has passed away, she...more
Cheryl
I really struggled with rating this book, the first in the Brethren Guardians series, because there were times that I loved it and other times that I felt were tedious to read. But by the end of the book I couldn't turn the pages fast enough and I'm dying to read the next book in the series, Pride & Passion by Charlotte Featherstone, and I absolutely LOVED Lord Black, so for those reasons I'm giving Seduction & Scandal 4 stars!

What I loved:

-Lord Black! He is dark and mysterious and very sexy! He is also quite the 'dirty talker' (B...more
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Having read and loved Addicted by Charlotte Featherstone, I couldn't wait to read the first book in her Brethren Guardians series, SEDUCTION & SCANDAL. Full of passion, suspense, mystery and intrigue, it promised to be a compelling read.

Following the death of her grandmother and her mother, Isabella Fairmount went to live with her uncle, the Marquis of Stonebrook and her cousin, Lucy. Isabella's mother had let her passionate nature rule her life, leaving her ruined, alone and destitute with...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Also view the review at Under the Covers

Isabella Fairmont longs for a respectable and safe life and marriage and promises herself that she will never be like her scandalous mother who lived a hard and pitiful life because of her reckless passion. Instead she writes novels pouring her passionate nature into her words. However, the Earl of Black, who bears a remarkable resemblance to the hero of her nover, seems to provoke her in to wantoness and desire whenever he touches her. Black has loved and...more
Ellen W-S
Oh Charlotte, you are terrific! I loved the concept of the novel our heroine Isabella is writing and the plot of the book interconnecting from the start. The Lord Death and Lord Black connection was intriguing and reveals itself over time brilliantly. I eagerly await Lucy and Sussex's book to find out the answers to the dangling details that lead to the next installment of the series. I am definitely a fan of yours!

I give this book a 4.5/5 stars. With this said, I have to say the only negative...more
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4)
  • The Taming of the Rake (Blackthorn Brothers, #1)
  • Forever and a Day (The Rumor, #1)
  • Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess (Belston & Friends #2)
  • Unclaimed (Turner, #2)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Heiress in Love (Ministry of Marriage, #1)
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To Series #2)
  • By His Majesty's Grace (The Three Graces, #1)
  • Nearly a Lady
  • The Devil in Disguise (Regency Rogues, #1)
  • A Midnight Dance (Fiery Tales, #3)
  • Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Anchor and Storm
  • Catch Me
  • Lady of Seduction (The Daughters of Erin, #3)
Hi I write erotic historical romance for Harlequin Spice, as well as erotic paranormal romance under the name Sophie Renwick. In 2011, I'll be debuting my mainstream, Victorian set historicals through HQN.

I love talking about books, and have found some new friends, and really good book recommends here on Goodreads. I really love this community.

More about Charlotte Featherstone...
Sinful (Addicted #2) Addicted (Addicted #1) Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2) Temptation  & Twilight (The Brethren Guardians, #3) Sinful: Epilogue

“It is not your time, love. You will not die tonight.

All this time she thought herself in love with the notion of Death. His gallantry, his beautiful soul. She believed he loved her because he had spared her from his grip. But it had not been Death, but Black.

“Why?” she asked, and her body shook, knowing his sacrifice, knowing he knew her most guarded secret.

“Because I loved you,” he murmured. “I couldn’t let you go, because I knew I could no longer see you, I couldn’t live, either.”

Black had risked his life to save her from taking her own.

He rose, helped her up and clutched her in his arms. “It is too soon for you to make your decision,” he said. “Come to me when you know what you want. My wishes will remain unchanged.”

“What do you want?”

He kissed her, pressed her body into his hot, hard one. “To be inside you. To lay you out and touch you with my hands, my mouth and tongue. I want to slip deep inside you and never leave. I want to wake up in the morning and open my eyes to find you lying there next to me. I want to look at my children and see you in their little faces.”

“Jude,” she whispered, holding him, weakening.

“But I want you to want that as much as I do, Isabella.”

“We have too many secrets,” she began. “Our pasts…”

“Secrets, like passion, are meant to be spent. I will bear all my sins, all my secrets, when you come to me. It’s all I can offer. You see, little love, I’m afraid, too, but the difference between us is that I believe it’s worth it to face that fear if it means that I’ll have you.”
8 likes