Start by marking “A Respectable Woman” as Want to Read:
A Respectable Woman

A Respectable Woman

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  137 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The short story which takes place on Gaston Baroda's sugar plantation in Louisiana, apparently in the 1880s or early 1890s.
Published (first published February 14th 1894)

To ask other readers questions about A Respectable Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Respectable Woman

Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
To be or not to be.. The moment of indecision between two opposites.. The woman in this story is a respectable one in the beginning. As the story proceeds,she becomes attracted towards her husband's friend who was on a short visit at their place. She tried to fight off the temptation thinking that she is a respectable woman and shouldn't yield. But in the end,she herself asks her husband to invite the friend to their place. She tells her husband that she has overcome everything.
This story gives
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

CONTENTS

THE LOCKET

A REFLECTION
Hasnamezied
Nov 16, 2015 Hasnamezied rated it really liked it
There are some battles in life which a human being must fight alone
Sevgi
Dec 31, 2013 Sevgi rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
In spite of her being a forerunner of feminist authors, with this story she was about to make me anti-feminist. I can understand her being sarcastic with making me feel like that, though. We generally want to find someone to blame on in these kind of stories and I decided to blame the society.
Let's see whom you will blame..
Enjoy it, if you want to read!
(It is veeery short.)
Kaneisha
Jul 03, 2015 Kaneisha rated it really liked it
it was very interesting to see how it turnout, I always had this little feeling form the beginning that Mrs. Baroda was attracted to Gouvernail, what I wanted to was if it was that he was attracted to her.
to he
Bri
Feb 17, 2015 Bri rated it really liked it
This book swept me away to this other wonderful world. The setting was brilliantly set. I could totally see it in my mind. But the characters were definitely my favorite part. They are all so colorful, interesting, exciting, and hilarious. The main character is just perfect. The plot moved fast enough that I couldn't stop reading lest I miss something, but the author still took the time to flesh out the details. The details are what really make or break a story.
Lena
Jan 03, 2015 Lena rated it it was amazing
This short story was the basis of my analytical examination essay. I just was surprised as it was nothing of the post-modernist kind we generally have for analytical essays. And it is a story about a woman which is really worthy. I just wanted to stand up and applause as I read it, but I was at the exam so I didn't :)
Keelynn Hardy
Mar 07, 2016 Keelynn Hardy rated it it was amazing
I immensely enjoyed this short story. Simple, but well written. And I have arranged my takeaway thoughts into a haiku:

"Not above weakness,
A respectable woman
Simply deals with it."
Egija
Jan 16, 2015 Egija rated it did not like it
Not my type of story. The protagonist Mrs. Baroda is tempted by a man who arrives and the ending is written ambiguously so it is open to own interpretation.
Brianna
Mar 07, 2012 Brianna rated it liked it
Chopin's story of a respectable woman in the 19th century. It is a glimpse into the female psyche.
Do it! Read the book, because who knows what new world one might fall into? What interesting characters with interesting lives you might meet and fall in love with? You won't know if you like it unless you give it a try. You won't know if you love them unless you crack open the cover and say "Chapter One...." What's the worst that could happen? The universe could implode.... but that's very unlikel
Sheila
Feb 01, 2013 Sheila rated it it was ok
This short story by Kate Chopin, for me, did not live up to the standards of her other stories that I have read. It seemed too simplistic, and didn't evoke the feeling that her other stories did. This story can often be found online, or in collections of Kate Chopin stories such as The Awakening and Selected Stories
Avisek Bandyopadhyay
Characters dont really hit you but the subject ever so ordinary...Everyone is infested !!!!!!!!
Jennifer Snyder
Jennifer Snyder marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it it was ok
May 03, 2016
Carine
Carine added it
May 01, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Amina
Amina rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Amritha
Amritha rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Nicole Perkins
Nicole Perkins marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2016
Jaclyn
Jaclyn rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Jeanine
Jeanine marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Jairrah Mansfield
Jairrah Mansfield rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Leah
Leah rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
  • Apophis
  • An Imaginative Woman and Other Stories
  • Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
  • Mrs. Zant and the Ghost
  • Josephine the Singer, or the Mouse Folk (The Metamorphasis, A Hunger Artist, A Penal Colony, and Other Stories)
  • Murder in Ancient China: Two Judge Dee Mysteries (Chicago Shorts)
  • Bela E A Fera
  • A Bottomless Grave & Other Victorian Tales of Terror
  • Off Screen (Off Screen, #1)
  • O Homem Nu
  • The Pavilion on the Links
  • Editha
Kate Chopin was an American novelist and short-story writer best known for her startling 1899 novel, The Awakening. Born in St. Louis, she moved to New Orleans after marrying Oscar Chopin in 1870. Less than a decade later Oscar's cotton business fell on hard times and they moved to his family's plantation in the Natchitoches Parish of northwestern Louisiana. Oscar died in 1882 and Kate was suddenl ...more
More about Kate Chopin...