Start by marking “Tuck” as Want to Read:
Tuck

Tuck (King Raven #3)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,260 Ratings  ·  338 Reviews
"Pray God our aim is true and each arrow finds its mark." The final installment of a completely reimagined epic of the man known as Robin Hood, told in a far more eerie, earthy, and elemental way than ever before. The story of Rhi Bran y Hud—Robin Hood—concludes as Abbot Hugo and the Norman invaders attempt to wipe out King Raven and his flock once and for all. Their merci ...more
MP3 CD, Unabridged, 0 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Oasis Audio

To ask other readers questions about Tuck, please sign up.

The Wanderer The story is consistent, insofar as characters and themes and goals are concerned, but yes, there are some plot holes. At least... I think there are.

…more

It's difficult to keep track of who's speaking what language to whom and who can understand them. And when did this guy learn this fact, exactly? And aren't those two guys supposed to be under siege in the castle right now?

I think these problems would become more obvious if someone tried to adapt it into a movie. Still a fun read, though. Just don't let yourself get bogged down in the details.(less)

Anthony Chavez
Sep 10, 2011 Anthony Chavez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Definitely the best book of the trilogy.

I admit the trilogy was a bit hard to read at times, I am not a complete fan of Lawhead's writing style, like Ken Follett, it can be a bit long winded at times and get to be dry reading, but the story itself, the meat of it, the research and history infused into the classic tale, that's what kept me reading. And Lawhead, like Follett and the Pillars books, does it well, from the pronunciation guide at the beginning of the books to his author notes where so
Werner
Oct 22, 2010 Werner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of action-oriented historical fiction
With this volume, Lawhead brings his King Raven trilogy to a rousing conclusion! The general comments I made on the first two books apply here, too; but the emotional impact of this book nudged it into five-star territory. This is outstanding fiction of its type --a worthy capstone to a thoroughly excellent series. Lawhead has done himself proud here.

In all three books of the series, Bran ap Brychan --Rhi Bran y Hud-- is the central figure, the linchpin of the story. But as we saw much of Scarle
Vanna
Feb 27, 2009 Vanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! =)
Shelves: favorites
I have to say, this is one of the most fantastic, well written books I have ever read! I've liked the rest of the series, but this book did a really great job of concluding it. I was quite fascinated at all the history behind it, and I think Lawhead researched the time period extremely well. As I was getting to the ending,I was so excited to know what happened next that I found myself reading till three o'clock in the morning and still convincing myself that I wasn't too sleepy to read anther ch ...more
Jackie
The King Raven trilogy gets rare 5 stars from me. It was that good.

Suffice it to say, this is no run of the mill Robin Hood story. Richer, deeper, and well thought out. Lawhead did a fantastic job. I liked it far better than his Pendragon series and I really liked them too. This was better. Much better.

There are characters to love, characters to hate and even some you loved and hated at the same time. It felt natural to connect to the character and slip into the story itself.

I can't say much wi
Rusty
Oct 31, 2011 Rusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this read a great deal but not as much as Scarlet. Tuck is a gentle, pious man who believes in justice and fairness. He tells the story in his own way. I felt that Lawhead had a little trouble getting into this character. Perhaps it's my imagination but I thought that he seemed more attuned to Will Scarlet! It was fun to read about the battles and how the long bow could stand against knights with swords and horses. Thank you Mr. Lawhead for more information about that topic at the end of ...more
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
I really don't have much to say for this book, except that Stephen Lawhead is an incredible writer. I actually choked up at the epilogue. And the Author's Note is very interesting -- this guy really does his research and, thankfully, seems to love what he does. As with most trilogies I loved, I immediately feel the need to go back and reread the first book.

Now off to watch one of my favorite versions of the story!
Tori
Oct 30, 2014 Tori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written for book club:
More desperate then ever to free his land from invaders, the Phantom Raven of the forest sets out once again to try his might against his adversaries. But with some surprising twists, and unanticipated hardships, can the group see it through to the end? The third and final installment of Stephen Lawhead's King Raven Trilogy, Tuck reunites readers one last time with Bran and his Grellon and their fight for freedom.
After King William turns traitor and refuses to give back Bra
Nikki
The conclusion to the King Raven trilogy is really no different to the other books of the trilogy. The strong point, for me, the thing I found most interesting, was the new interpretation of how the Robin Hood story came about -- although I felt that the epilogue hammered that in maybe a little too much -- and not much else really grabbed me. Again, the writing is pretty good and once I settled down to read it I sped through Tuck in a couple of hours. If you want something easy to read and you l ...more
Kara
Sep 29, 2014 Kara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robin-hood

It seems a bit of a stretch to name this book after Tuck – here he is a main character but by no means the main character.

Still, he does contribute quite a lot to the plot, both with brains and brawn, and after some great stick wielding fight scenes, he manages to save the day by, of all things, giving the king a basic Accounting 101 lesson.

Robin Hood comes into his own as the merry trickster as he spends most of the book pulling off a hilarious con on a particularly bad tempered baron, complet
Liz Dean
Like the previous in the series, it's beautifully evocative of the forests of 11th century Wales. Lawhead places the Robin Hood legend in this place and period because apparently the Welsh were the experts with the longbow. They basically used the longbow to engage in guerilla warfare against the French army.

The characters aren't super strongly drawn, by far the strongest is still Will Scatlocke/Scarlet from book 2. Book 2 was the only book narrated in the first person by its main character, an
Justin Tyme
Nov 03, 2014 Justin Tyme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a satisfying conclusion to the "Hood" series. If you read it, don't stop at the conclusion, but take time to read the afterward. It lends credence to the historical background to the original Robin Hood story.
Emmanuelle
Mar 22, 2016 Emmanuelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third installment in the King Raven Trilogy, Tuck did not disappoint. If anything, it was even better than the other two. This book is focused on Friar Tuck and the major role he played in the war.

Acting as the voice of reason, Tuck is seeking for peace, his only desire is to stop the blood bath that has been caused so far and to come in this war for the Vale of Elfael. And you know this is their only way out because of the few men they have on both sides. Even Marshal of Gysburne is read
AndrewP
The third book in the trilogy and probably the best. As you can tell by the title, the most important character in this book is Friar Tuck. Although he plays the most important role in the events, it's still the story of Bran/King Raven/Hood and his small group of followers.

The story is completely wrapped up at the end of this book and the epilogue explains how this 11th Century tale became a legend associated with a later age and in a different location. i.e. Nottingham and Sherwood Forest.

I h
Flora Smith
Sep 22, 2012 Flora Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third and final installment in Lawhead's retelling of the Robin Hood story. I enjoyed this one just as much as the first two. I love the way Lawhead puts this in a historical context and brings it to life in a way that it could have happened.

Tuck pics up right where Scarlet left off. Rhi Bran Y Hud and his followers are still on the run and trying to regain their realm. In the process there are skirmishes as well as undercover dealings that are filled with thrills and humor. There a
Alex Telander
Jan 29, 2013 Alex Telander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Stephen R. Lawhead’s conclusion to the King Raven trilogy, readers get to enjoy it from the viewpoint of the jolly and redoubtable Friar Tuck, who has been around since the first book, Hood, and on through the second, Scarlet. But little has been seen in the abilities of this clergyman, until now, who is bravest and shines brightest at his most important moment.

It seems the Normans simply won’t give up, and King Raven, also known as Rhi Bran Hood to the people of Wales, must muster not only h
Erika
Feb 15, 2009 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure where to start with this review since I didn’t make time in the past couple of years to review Hood and Scarlet, but the only reason I kept reading this trilogy was because of Robin Hood.

I love Robin Hood and I love this series. I don’t love the writing of these books. Except, there’s something that kept me reading and that was the need to get to the end and find out if this version has a happy ending.

I don’t want to ruin it or anything, but, it does.

Lawhead includes a pronunciation
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
This is the third book in a series that is a take off on the Robin Hood legend. It is set in Wales and the character's names are slightly different. All three books were book although I liked this one the least as it did not hold my interest as well as the others. However I am glad I read it and got "the rest of the story". This one is based on Friar Tuck's part in the story of Bran's struggle to regain his kingdom - Bran being the Robin Hood of this trilogy. I did not tag it as a romance althou ...more
Janice Bonczek
This was a good ending to Stephen Lawhead's Hood Trilogy. This book mostly followed the viewpoint of Friar Tuck. It tells of the final struggles between Rhi Bran and his Grellon.

We meet another old friend in this book as well, namely Alan A'Dale.

It follows the story of the Grellon as they continue to fight for the return of their homeland, going so far as to meet the king himself on the field of battle!

This was a fun story, and a great ending to the trilogy. Recommended for fans of medieval h
Spenser Barranco
While this book did manage to deliver the payoff to all the build up that the previous books had, to me the plot and characters just fell short compared to Scarlet.
Jeremy Preacher
Tuck was a lackluster end to a lackluster series. It had the problems of its predecessors (flat characters, inconsistent viewpoints, glacial pacing) and nothing new to add. There's really none of the gleeful mischief of the legend of Robin Hood - none of the sense of fighting because it's the right thing. It's all aimed at the ultimate goal of getting official recognition of the kingship of the cantref, and that just isn't particularly satisfying, given the cost.

Overall, I find the whole King Ra
Heather
Sep 25, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-these
Dare I say it, the best book of the trilogy! This trilogy got progressively stronger as it went along which is something of a rarity these days! Wonderful wonderful book, beautiful written and much better paced than the previous two. Will be looking out for more of Lawheads work for certain.
The Wanderer
Jan 12, 2016 The Wanderer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good finish to a good trilogy! Again, Lawhead's prose is clear and fluid and fresh. This book felt more emotional to me than the others; Bran's desperation, rage, and brokenheartedness felt more tangible. There's trickery, battle, and like the other books, lots of betrayal. Seriously, poor Bran needs a hug.

I was happy with the conclusion. I can see that some might say it was too neat and sweet or anticlimactic... but come on, at least as far as fictional novels go, Bran was long overdue for so
Debfiddle
Aug 11, 2014 Debfiddle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
King Raven has brought hope to the oppressed people of Wales--and fear to their Norman overlords. Deceived by the self-serving King William and hunted by the treacherous Abbot Hugo and Sheriff de Glanville, Rhi Bran is forced again to take matters into his own hands as King Raven.

Along the way Friar Tuck has been the stalwart supporter of the man behind the legend--bringing Rhi Bran much-needed guidance, wit, and faithful companionship.

Aided by Tuck and his small but determined band of forest-dw
Adam Goldste
May 01, 2014 Adam Goldste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now presenting the final book in a trilogy of books giving a new take on the stories of Robin Hood, starring Rhi Bran y Hud as Robin Hood, Iwan as Little John, Will Scarlett as himself, Brother Aethelfrith as Friar Tuck, Merian as herself, The Abbott, Sheriff, and Count as the Sheriff of Nottingham, and King William as King John.
Man I like this trilogy. This book starts off...ok, I'm going to skim over the beginning. Not that it's bad, it just pales in comparison to the utterly epic ending. Basi
The Book Hermit
Jan 26, 2016 The Book Hermit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robin-hood, 2016
The trilogy is a great new history to the Robin Hood myth. Unlike anything done in the past. Hood, Scarlet and then Tuck is the final in the trilogy. The first book tells the tale of the conception of the Raven King. The second book tells the story of Will Scarlet. The third book tells the story of Friar Tuck and his exploits to aid the man known as King Raven to regain his power to aid his people.
Anna
Oct 13, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: series
A long long time ago, I read a book in which the author was tracing the long rich history of the Robin Hood legend. In his King Raven trilogy, Lawhead takes the basic common story we all know and weaves it into the much older tradition. The characters are darker and much more realistic

“Do not think it impossible just because it has never happened.
- Friar Tuck”
― Stephen R. Lawhead, Tuck
Todd Stockslager
Jun 05, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
TThe Legend Triumphs

Lawhead concludes his three-part retelling of the Robin Hood legend as middle-English political play with a flourish. The title of my review is Lawhead's cover subtitle, so it is giving nothing away on the legend to say that in the end Rhi Bran di Hud (Robin Hood to our English ears) emerges victorious and marches off into myth and legend.

Lawhead's Hood is a stern, sometimes grouchy but always driven leader who inspires deep loyalty on the part of his followers. The events ar
Nick Nielsen
Jul 29, 2015 Nick Nielsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The finale to this series was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the Welsh perspective and people. I'm pretty familiar with Celtic mythology and history, but I know very little about the Welsh (other than several readings of The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander). This book entices me to learn much more.

This book switches perspectives to Friar Tuck, and the story features him heavily (although it still revolves Rhi Bran). I won't divulge much of the story to avoid spoilers, but I felt the book
Ty Wilson
I found Mr. Lawhead's take on the Robin Hood myth to be very enjoyable. He grounds his retelling of the legend in a place and time he deems most likely to have spawned the original legend. It also makes me want to play future RPG's as a bowman...what a deadly weapon!
Mundy Carroll
Hooray! I finished.

This was by far the best book in an extremely disappointing trilogy. In the final installment, there was a bit more action, and the story flowed much better. The return to narrative rather than the 1st-person mess that "Scarlet" was, was welcome.

But in the end, the story never really grabbed me as I thought it must. A fan of the Robin Hood books since I can remember, the premise of a Welsh Rhi Bran y Hudd is great. It just never carried through for me; and this was nowhere as
"Tuck" 4 22 Feb 20, 2013 08:09PM
  • Robin and the King (Sherwood, #2)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • Shadow in the Deep (Binding of the Blade #3)
  • Maid Marian
  • Raven's Ladder (The Auralia Thread, #3)
  • King's Man (The Outlaw Chronicles, #3)
  • The Hand That Bears the Sword
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • Shadow Over Kiriath (Legends of the Guardian-King, #3)
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • Fifth Seal (A.D. Chronicles #5)
  • The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)
  • Behold the Dawn
  • Veiled Rose (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #2)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

King Raven (3 books)
  • Hood (King Raven, #1)
  • Scarlet (King Raven, #2)

“Do not think it impossible just because it has never happened.
- Friar Tuck”