Start by marking “The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie” as Want to Read:
The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie

The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie (The Boys #8)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,537 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Out of Dynamite Entertainment's critically acclaimed title, The Boys, comes a special story featuring everyone's favorite pint-sized Scotsman, Hughie, with The Boys: Highland Laddie, written by Garth Ennis, with covers by Darick Robertson and art by Herogasm artist John McCrea. Mind reeling from recent events in The Boys, Wee Hughie heads home to Auchterladle - the semi-id ...more
Published April 19th 2011 by Dynamite Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about The Boys, Volume 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys, Volume 8

Stewart Tame
Jun 06, 2017 Stewart Tame rated it really liked it
The pace slows down a bit with this volume, but that's fine as Hughie (and I) needed a break after volume 7. He returns to Scotland to see his family and friends and generally get his head together. We also meet someone who is probably going to be important in upcoming volumes. Not as much action in this one, but there are some fine character moments. This series continues to impress.
Gavin
Dec 13, 2014 Gavin rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
To quote Wee Hughie: "I Ken sez tis shite".

This is a diversion from the Boys into a Hughie backstory/sidestory.

It could have been interesting; instead it was a meandering, boring, impossible to understand (literally, the dialogue is stupid, and I grew up with a Scottish Great Gran and neighbours, but I could barely figure some things out).

Throw in 5 issues of Hughie whining about EVERYTHING and I just wanted to bitch slap him like the boring piece of shit he acts like in this.

He visits friends a
Sam Quixote
Jul 15, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it did not like it
I don't know how he's done it but Garth Ennis has turned one of the most promising series of recent years into an uninspired, meandering, dull mess. When the series started I knew Wee Hughie was going to be the character the readers were supposed to see the series through but to be honest he isn't interesting enough to warrant his own book, and "Highland Laddie" is evidence of this.

One of the side stories to the series has been Hughie's relationship with a supe in the foremost supe team and nei
Jesse A
Jun 08, 2015 Jesse A rated it liked it
A fairly dull diversion with Hughie.
D'Iberville Library
Mar 27, 2017 D'Iberville Library rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This installment of The Boys is not as action packed as previous ones. Hughie has gone home to figure things out after such a trying time during the previous book. He is trying to figure out what he is doing with his life and where he is going to go from here. There are flashbacks, but not enough to be confusing. Mainly, you get to see his childhood friends, both are quite unusual, and finally meet his parents - his adoptive parents. So, this is mainly a very good look into Hughie's past while h ...more
Oron
Jun 06, 2017 Oron rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, 2017, digital, comics
A kinda-boring sidestory. The interesting parts could be concentrated in a single issue, diffinitely not a 6-part story. Oh well, let's get on with it.
Luca
Oct 15, 2016 Luca rated it really liked it
Dear lord am I happy Ennis redeems himself in this one by explicitly and emphatically condemning Hughie's misogyny in the last volume as a character flaw to be excoriated by the very woman who was on the receiving end of it, reducing the poorly conceived Simon Pegg lookalike to a mess of tears, rather than the righteous anger of a Nice, Regular Guy In The Face Of Foul Decadence.

While perhaps a diversion from the main superhero plot, small town Scotland and its simple-minded denizens are pretty c
Michael Cairns
Apr 01, 2014 Michael Cairns rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-mature
Garth Ennis has been one of my favourite comic authors for some time now.
I say that up front in case you think I'm biased in my writing of this review.
The Boys is the best thing he's ever created. It's disgusting, crude, completely over the top and fabulously funny. It's also an original take on the question of what morally ambiguous people might do if bestowed with super powers. And what the government would really do if they cracked the secret to the super soldier serum.
In this eighth volum
Albert Yates
Probably one of my favourite books in the series so far. We get to spend a great deal of time learning more about Hughie and what made him the man he is today. were introduced to two of his childhood friends, one is transitioning and the other has a nasty smell and wears a gas mask all the time.

on the outskirts of town is a little cove called smugglers cove a fitting name for some drug runners to be bringing a product into the country. this is the same location where Hughie and his friends stop
Filipe
Apr 16, 2012 Filipe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I particularly enjoyed this volume. I know it's not a crucial part of the story, being a side-story of the main series, but I really liked it.
We get to see a little bit more of Hughie's Scottish background, his hometown in Scotland, his childhood friends, his family. We also get to see some of his personal struggles. A really good storyline.
The artwork was jaw dropping. The Scottish landscape is amazing and we really get a feel of being there.
Michael Hitchcock
Jun 20, 2016 Michael Hitchcock rated it liked it
Octavi
May 16, 2017 Octavi rated it really liked it
Pues me ha gustado este interludio.
Jenny
Feb 17, 2017 Jenny rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Good to get background on Hughie, move the Hughie/Annie relationship issue around, but I look forward to getting back to the main stories in the next volume (hopefully)...
Mikael Kuoppala
Nov 26, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
"The Boys" is a peculiarly uneven series both in tone and quality. At times it reads like a superhero comic parody, at times like a nihilistic tale of hate and violence, at times like a clever political allegory. Recently, the saga has gotten more serious and ambitious in its storytelling, delving into the grey, morally ambiguous shades of its characters. In "Highland Laddie" Garth Ennis takes a break after the dramatic events of the previous volume and gives us a calm character story about Hugh ...more
Mike
Sep 23, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creator-owned
I find it fascinating how Ennis can take some seemingly mundane, everyday situations and infuse them with such energy, bizarre and vivid storytelling. The characters are so real and fleshed out, just by virtue of the detailed stories they tell each other, and they're like people I instantly know (and at the same time have many secrets and layers yet to reveal).

Then Ennis adds to the mix a few details of weird, hard, mean people/situations and just let's them slowly find their way to our main cha
Gayle Francis Moffet
Jun 22, 2013 Gayle Francis Moffet rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2013, july-2013
A great carry-over from the previous arc. This arc was originally published as a standalone mini, and I appreciate Dynamite packaging it as simply part of the arc so you know where it fits in and can't miss it.

The great thing about this mini is that we finally get Hughie's full backstory, not in flashback, but in him visiting back home as he tries to figure out if he really wants to be part of the boys. I like where Hughie comes from, and I like that he's clearly not in love with it. His friend
Deborah Ideiosepius
Dec 29, 2011 Deborah Ideiosepius rated it it was ok
recently I have felt that Garth is spinning the boys out way too much. I have heard that said about #8 as well but I thought it was pretty good, the multiple story lines kept the whole book swinging along and it reads well on second and third re-readings (which is emphatically not the case for some of the others).

The characters are surprising and arresting: Garth does charcters well and in this volume I think he was getting interested in the characters he was writing again. It seemed pretty dam
***Dave Hill
Jul 24, 2011 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
While collected under the "The Boys" series, this book was actually a 6-part parallel mini-series, dealing with Wee Hughie's crisis of conscience and return to his Scottish home town. Typical Garth Ennis dark hilarity ensues regarding how things have changed back home, and when one of the parts of his life he was fleeing catches up with him, Hughie has to decide if he will ever return to the Boys.

It's a quieter tale than most of the Boys' outings, with very little of the title's over-the-top vio
Stephen Theaker
Feb 24, 2012 Stephen Theaker rated it liked it
You generally know in the broadest terms what you’re going to get with Garth Ennis — violence, outrage and sentiment — and yet he never fails to surprise. The Boys, Vol. 8: Highland Laddie (Titan, pb, c.144pp), by Ennis, John McCrea and Keith Burns collects a six-issue miniseries following Simon Pegg lookalike Wee Hughie back home to his home town of Auchterladle. Little Wee Hughie was quite the Nancy Drew. A friend from New York follows him there for a chat, and he makes the acquaintance of a s ...more
Sean Chick
The hero going home or going to a place to find himself is an Ennis staple that has usually worked. So why not here? It is the bad dialogue, dull situations, lack of focus, and annoying humor. The main thing is the story tells you nothing about Hughie that you did not already know. Starlight/Annie has a chance to really shine, and the better parts belong to her for sure. But even then something held back. Whole thing reads like a half-baked side story rushed into print before it was fully formed ...more
Jason
Aug 15, 2015 Jason rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2016
What utter crap. I've read a lot of The boys series and they have been top notch, fantastic plot, stunning illustrations, violent and sexy. This volume though, apart from being pointless and bringing nothing new to the story, the writing was poor and it looks like the illustrations were done by kids, Hughie looks completely different, I'm sure the Butcher appears briefly but I can't be sure as he looks completely different.

If you are a fan of this series and are reading this in order then I beg
Shannon Appelcline
A badly bifurcated book. The first three issues are almost entirely pointless. There's some setup and there's some good attention to Hughie's background, but nothing happens for issue after issue. In contrast, the last three issues are quite good. We get some attention to unsettled issues from The Boys itself, some great characters, and then some meaningful action-adventure at the end.

Overall, this mini-series is worth reading, but it should have been four issues long rather than six. If so it m
Meran
Apr 28, 2013 Meran rated it it was amazing
The Boys, Vol. 8, is all about Wee Hughie, his childhood, his hometown, his close buddies, and why he is how he is. Excellently written, drawn with clarity, we're left with a mystery (just WHO is the older man he meets in a chance encounter in his old home town?) and he might even be on the mend with his most recent girlfriend, who's finally told him ALL. Hughie, however, has held back important facts; I think, when she finds out, she just may respond like did when he found out she was a Supe. ; ...more
Daniel Etherington
Steps away from the action and intrigue of the main thrust of The Boys' narrative. Hughie's left The Boys (nominally) and gone home to smalltown Scotland to reflect on his work, and the revelation that his girlfriend is in fact a member of The Seven - the most powerful and most dangerous of the despicable superhuman community.

This is Ennis' change to give Hughie some more background, but more to reflect on the significance of "home", childhood friendships, and memory.
John Barclay
May 03, 2016 John Barclay rated it liked it
A good little series, though it really didn't need to take 6 issues. Ennis does pad his stories out a bit in these extra series things doesn't he.

Good to get an idea of where the messed up Hughie comes from and why he has such trouble with some of his reactions. Still, the whole smuggler plot didn't really work and seemed to hasty a wrap up.

I really like The Boys, but sometimes I just want him to move things along a bit...
Ryk Stanton
Feb 13, 2015 Ryk Stanton rated it really liked it
Some silliness, but I appreciated getting to see what Wee Hughie would get up to when he left The Boys for a while when he went home to get his head clear after his girlfriend told him what she did. I think thi9s arc deepened the character a bit in just the right way.

And yes, it's filled with sex and violence and gore and bad language. Don't read it, unless you like that sort of thing.
Ben
Jan 03, 2015 Ben rated it liked it
I am a fan of Wee Hughie, and truly hope he manages to avoid what seems like the impending bad end for everyone. Therefore I enjoyed this little side trip. What I did not approve of? The small changes to how his face was drawn. Too many hard lines added. This is Wee Hughie, there shouldn't be any hard lines.
Jacob
May 08, 2011 Jacob rated it liked it
Not much of a story about The Boys as it is Hughie trying to sort out his life. While I like the author Ennis, I felt the story easily padded out to the TPB. That is, the story could have been done in half as many issues instead of the typical 6 issues.
Feather Mista
Me gustan las historias tranquilas y relajadas que sirven de puente entre sagotas, pero acá se pasan un poco con lo cotidianoide y mundano. Hasta que meten mafias, asesinatos y toda la bola. Niempedo es el mejor tomo de la saga pero sigue manteniéndome enganchado.
  • Crossed, Vol. 5
  • Northlanders, Vol. 3: Blood in the Snow
  • The Goon, Volume 10: Death's Greedy Comeuppance
  • Global Frequency
  • Crossed: Wish You Were Here, Volume 1
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 2
  • Echo: The Last Day (Echo, #6)
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 5: The Cold War
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...

The Boys (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game
  • The Boys, Volume 9: The Big Ride
  • The Boys, Volume 10: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
  • The Boys, Volume 11: Over the Hills with the Swords of a Thousand Men

“Fuck, that's good. That's habit-formin'.” 0 likes
“You don't have in IN you to be like that, Hughie.
You had too nice an upbringing.
Your mom and dad were too good to you.
And I wish you could see that you're not less of a MAN, or some sort of inferior person, just because you can't be harsh and hard and cold.”
0 likes