Start by marking “The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie” as Want to Read:
The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie

The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie (The Boys #8)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  919 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Out of Dynamite Entertainment's critically acclaimed title, The Boys, comes a special story featuring everyone's favorite pint-sized Scotsman, Hughie, with The Boys: Highland Laddie, written by Garth Ennis, with covers by Darick Robertson and art by Herogasm artist John McCrea. Mind reeling from recent events in The Boys, Wee Hughie heads home to Auchterladle - the semi-id...more
Published April 19th 2011 by Dynamite Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about The Boys, Volume 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys, Volume 8

Michael Cairns
Garth Ennis has been one of my favourite comic authors for some time now.
I say that up front in case you think I'm biased in my writing of this review.
The Boys is the best thing he's ever created. It's disgusting, crude, completely over the top and fabulously funny. It's also an original take on the question of what morally ambiguous people might do if bestowed with super powers. And what the government would really do if they cracked the secret to the super soldier serum.
In this eighth volum...more
Son of Sam Quixote
I don't know how he's done it but Garth Ennis has turned one of the most promising series of recent years into an uninspired, meandering, dull mess. When the series started I knew Wee Hughie was going to be the character the readers were supposed to see the series through but to be honest he isn't interesting enough to warrant his own book, and "Highland Laddie" is evidence of this.

One of the side stories to the series has been Hughie's relationship with a supe in the foremost supe team and nei...more
Filipe
I particularly enjoyed this volume. I know it's not a crucial part of the story, being a side-story of the main series, but I really liked it.
We get to see a little bit more of Hughie's Scottish background, his hometown in Scotland, his childhood friends, his family. We also get to see some of his personal struggles. A really good storyline.
The artwork was jaw dropping. The Scottish landscape is amazing and we really get a feel of being there.
Mike
I find it fascinating how Ennis can take some seemingly mundane, everyday situations and infuse them with such energy, bizarre and vivid storytelling. The characters are so real and fleshed out, just by virtue of the detailed stories they tell each other, and they're like people I instantly know (and at the same time have many secrets and layers yet to reveal).

Then Ennis adds to the mix a few details of weird, hard, mean people/situations and just let's them slowly find their way to our main cha...more
Gayle Francis Moffet
A great carry-over from the previous arc. This arc was originally published as a standalone mini, and I appreciate Dynamite packaging it as simply part of the arc so you know where it fits in and can't miss it.

The great thing about this mini is that we finally get Hughie's full backstory, not in flashback, but in him visiting back home as he tries to figure out if he really wants to be part of the boys. I like where Hughie comes from, and I like that he's clearly not in love with it. His friend...more
Mikael Kuoppala
"The Boys" is a peculiarly uneven series both in tone and quality. At times it reads like a superhero comic parody, at times like a nihilistic tale of hate and violence, at times like a clever political allegory. Recently, the saga has gotten more serious and ambitious in its storytelling, delving into the grey, morally ambiguous shades of its characters. In "Highland Laddie" Garth Ennis takes a break after the dramatic events of the previous volume and gives us a calm character story about Hugh...more
Daniel Etherington
Steps away from the action and intrigue of the main thrust of The Boys' narrative. Hughie's left The Boys (nominally) and gone home to smalltown Scotland to reflect on his work, and the revelation that his girlfriend is in fact a member of The Seven - the most powerful and most dangerous of the despicable superhuman community.

This is Ennis' change to give Hughie some more background, but more to reflect on the significance of "home", childhood friendships, and memory.
Deborah Ideiosepius
recently I have felt that Garth is spinning the boys out way too much. I have heard that said about #8 as well but I thought it was pretty good, the multiple story lines kept the whole book swinging along and it reads well on second and third re-readings (which is emphatically not the case for some of the others).

The characters are surprising and arresting: Garth does charcters well and in this volume I think he was getting interested in the characters he was writing again. It seemed pretty dam...more
Stephen Theaker
You generally know in the broadest terms what you’re going to get with Garth Ennis — violence, outrage and sentiment — and yet he never fails to surprise. The Boys, Vol. 8: Highland Laddie (Titan, pb, c.144pp), by Ennis, John McCrea and Keith Burns collects a six-issue miniseries following Simon Pegg lookalike Wee Hughie back home to his home town of Auchterladle. Little Wee Hughie was quite the Nancy Drew. A friend from New York follows him there for a chat, and he makes the acquaintance of a s...more
***Dave Hill
While collected under the "The Boys" series, this book was actually a 6-part parallel mini-series, dealing with Wee Hughie's crisis of conscience and return to his Scottish home town. Typical Garth Ennis dark hilarity ensues regarding how things have changed back home, and when one of the parts of his life he was fleeing catches up with him, Hughie has to decide if he will ever return to the Boys.

It's a quieter tale than most of the Boys' outings, with very little of the title's over-the-top vio...more
Timothy Boyd
A nice spin off series from the main storyline. As the plot of the main story narrows to it's conclusion it's nice to read and understand better some of the major players inner working. Recommended.
Jessica
William
What a slow fart of a trade paperback.
Shannon Appelcline
A badly bifurcated book. The first three issues are almost entirely pointless. There's some setup and there's some good attention to Hughie's background, but nothing happens for issue after issue. In contrast, the last three issues are quite good. We get some attention to unsettled issues from The Boys itself, some great characters, and then some meaningful action-adventure at the end.

Overall, this mini-series is worth reading, but it should have been four issues long rather than six. If so it m...more
Meran
The Boys, Vol. 8, is all about Wee Hughie, his childhood, his hometown, his close buddies, and why he is how he is. Excellently written, drawn with clarity, we're left with a mystery (just WHO is the older man he meets in a chance encounter in his old home town?) and he might even be on the mend with his most recent girlfriend, who's finally told him ALL. Hughie, however, has held back important facts; I think, when she finds out, she just may respond like did when he found out she was a Supe. ;...more
Ben Brackett
Unnecessary subplot that is pointless and just draws things out.
Brian
a very character driven trade
Jeff Raymond
Against my general type, I've typically enjoyed The Boys. This arc did nothing for me, and probably could have just been an issue or two of its own, not a six issue arc. I get it, but it was just really drawn out for me.

In the home stretch of this series, though...
Federiken Masters
Me gustan las historias tranquilas y relajadas que sirven de puente entre sagotas, pero acá se pasan un poco con lo cotidianoide y mundano. Hasta que meten mafias, asesinatos y toda la bola. Niempedo es el mejor tomo de la saga pero sigue manteniéndome enganchado.
I used to love the earlier graphic novels of The Boys but it feels like it's starting to lose its way. This volume for the most part felt like a filler but since I've read Vol.9 just recently I understand this one was kinda needed (I say this loosely though).
Jacob
Not much of a story about The Boys as it is Hughie trying to sort out his life. While I like the author Ennis, I felt the story easily padded out to the TPB. That is, the story could have been done in half as many issues instead of the typical 6 issues.
Devowasright
reading this as the issues come to me. almost done...
a right nice read, as i rather like wee hughie, but i'd be lying if i said i'm not squealing with delight at the prospect of butcher's upcoming miniseries.

Sharon
Individual issues on comixology
Steven Stennett
A departure to the normal Boys stuff, but I understand the writers need to do something different, it works within the whole context of the story, so no foul!
Tiara
3.5 stars. Have some mixed feelings about this one, but I think over all I like it. Now, I've told myself I can't read volumes 9-12 until I catch up on my other books.
Timo
Jan 11, 2013 Timo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
There were a lot of talking heads in this one. But Ennis makes those heads talk interestingly and the whole thing just..... works.
Good McCrea art too.
Vance Alberto
Pas de super slips mais un Hughie qui cherche à se reconstruire dans son Écosse natale. Dessins laids mais une histoire très humaine.
Jim
An entertaining, though definitely not totally necessary, Boys story. I like the series, the art is cool, and it reads quick.
Cameron
I really liked this - the flash backs are gold. I can't wait for vol 9 to get back into the main story line.
Christina
It doesn't end here?!

The series is still going on?!

But I need to know how it ends...
  • The Goon, Volume 9: Calamity of Conscience
  • Northlanders, Vol. 7: The Icelandic Trilogy
  • Scalped, Vol. 10: Trail's End
  • Crossed, Vol. 2: Family Values
  • Black Summer
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 3
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch...more
More about Garth Ennis...
Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World Preacher, Volume 3: Proud Americans Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun

“Fuck, that's good. That's habit-formin'.” 0 likes
“You don't have in IN you to be like that, Hughie.
You had too nice an upbringing.
Your mom and dad were too good to you.
And I wish you could see that you're not less of a MAN, or some sort of inferior person, just because you can't be harsh and hard and cold.”
0 likes