Start by marking “A Busy Year” as Want to Read:
A Busy Year

A Busy Year

An around-the-seasons board book to enjoy every month of the year!

Now available in a board book edition, here is Leo Lionni’s joyous celebration of the rhythms of nature. A tree changes month by month, watched over by twin mice who admire her on their frequent visits. “Oh, Woody, you are beautiful!” they exclaim in May, when her leaves are full and blossoming. And at Chris
Board book, 26 pages
Published January 13th 2004 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Busy Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Busy Year

Oct 08, 2016 Rita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Art is beautiful as always but plot was boring. Also they acknowledged the harm of humans putting cigarettes out on trees and bonfires causing forest fires but then the mice nailed a note to the tree? idgi
There are two mice named Willie and Winnie. They go exploring one day in January and met a new friend which is a tree named Woody. They haven’t met a talking tree before and are curious and so at least once a month they come back to visit their friend Woody. The problem is that the tree is not able to run like they are. So, the wonder if Woody will make it all year.

This week in the textbook it talks about how there is many interactions that you could do with books and I think
In the story, "A Busy Year" by Leo Lionni, The main charicters are a set of twin mce. Their names are Willie and Winnie. Both of these mice live in the McBarney barn with cows, horses and chickens. On day while they were out exploring the snow for the first time, they came across a talking tree named Woody. The twins form a friendship with this tree and care for Woody throughout the year.

This book is a tough book to connect to this weeks chapter. I think that any book would be. If i was
Feb 11, 2015 Nikki rated it it was amazing
This story is about a set of twin mice named willie and winnie who find a tree called woody in January on a winter walk. The story progresses through the different months of the year and the mice and the tree become friends. At one point of the story the twins save the tree from a fire. The story also goes in depth the changes a tree goes through a year in each season.
Books about seasons have always been a favorite choice of mine I feel like children are learning and enjoyi
Caitlin Ranta
Feb 05, 2015 Caitlin Ranta rated it really liked it
1. Willie and Winnie, two mice, went on an adventure and met a new friend Woody, the tree. They went back to visit Woody each month. Woody helped the mice realize how some people don't care about how many trees burn down. Woody almost burnt down but the two mice saved the trees life.
2. This story does a good job showing the different seasons. It makes me think of all of the different children's books that have done that; though I cannot remember their names. This book sort of does textbook this
Hope Gockenbach
1. A Busy Year is about twin mice, Willie and Winnie, who make friends with a tree named Woody. The book shows all the season and a tree cycle through them. It also touched on things that make the mice good friends to the tree.

2. A Busy Year reminds me of the Very Hungry Caterpillar. The book's illustration style is nearly the same. Also, they both talk about cycles. A Busy Year talks about the cycle of a tree, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar talks about the cycle of a caterpillar into a butterf
Natalie Cosellian
1. Willie and Winnie meet Woody the tree which they thought was a broom. Every month they go visit Woody and learn about the changes than happen to Woody. Willie and Winnie help and discover new things about their new friend Woody in this sweet book about friendship.
2. The illustrations relate to that of the very hungry caterpillar. As the textbook says, the children are gaining artistic and reading experiences from a book like this. The children are connecting the look of a broom to a tree whi
Apr 14, 2015 Erica rated it liked it
Shelves: mouse, seasons
Two mice, Winnie and Willie meet a talking tree that they befriend. Each month they visit the tree, they help the tree, give it presents, and watch it change.

They book talks about what happens during each month, and what can happen to the tree during each season, which many other books do.

I liked the illustration of the book, as the kids could relate to how the pictures are drawn. I think it'd be good for kids beginning to read on their own because it is a little bit longer but it still has ea
Madeline Huhta
This story is an adventure about two barn twin mice, Willie and Winnie. They come across a talking tree. Throughout this book they encounter the seasons and how they effect the tree, and become friends along the way.

This book is similar to the giving tree. They both befriend someone and they help each other out. This book is a little 'nicer' to the tree.

This children's book is very educational for children who are most likely in kindergarten and are just learning the seasons. Also, this book sho
Nov 18, 2014 Karin rated it really liked it
As a picture book goes, "A Busy Year", is as charming as any, although perhaps not as fable-like as some of Leo Lionni's other books. Still, it has a lovely message of friendship as two mice befriend a tree and observe her though the seasons of a year. There is a subtle statement about the carelessness of man and forest fires which even the very young will understand. The illustrations are quaint and rich in a very understated way, even the mice look kid-friendly. It is a picture book, the very ...more
Gaby Roman
Oct 13, 2012 Gaby Roman rated it really liked it
Shelves: seasons, months
I really liked this short story. I would use this book to talk about months and what type of seasons correspond with each month. I may break my students up into small groups and give a certain amount of months to each group and they would need to figure out which season correspond with the list of months they have. The groups could create pictures about the season when they share their list of months with the season that corresponds to the list of months.
May 29, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
This was a sweet story about the relationship between two mice and a talking tree. I liked the illustrations, they were cute and the tree was especially lovely. It was also kind of cool to see the year go by month by month. I would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
Bree Bosse
This is a phenomenal book about two twin mice to befriend a tree. The illustrations are great and it is a good book to show the changing of seasons and how a tree changes throughout the seasons. It is also a great book to teach about months of the year and the effect of the environment and humans on trees. Love this book!!!
Jada Riutta
Apr 22, 2015 Jada Riutta rated it really liked it
This book is all about friendship even though it isn't human friendship it still friendship. It takes place in the every month, goes through the seasons of change. They help friend out when they need it. I think kids that have a range of vocab could read this. But parents should read this to their kids because it's shows a didn't type of friendship.
Emily Leeds
Oct 21, 2015 Emily Leeds rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I enjoy a good book about the seasons with beautiful illustrations. My five year old was not interested in the book until the fire was getting close to tree. It needed a better story line in the beginning.
May 09, 2016 Marlene rated it liked it
A good book if you want to show the seasons full circle. It gives young children a simple frame of reference to follow.
Deborah Harris
Dec 28, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-2, a28
AR Quiz No. 136319 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.7 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Cara Adams
Apr 19, 2012 Cara Adams rated it really liked it
Read to my students today for our plants/seeds unit we've been working on. They enjoyed it. Good way to reiterate seasons.
Ariza Zubia
Nov 08, 2015 Ariza Zubia rated it it was amazing
An adorable little book about two twin mice who become friends with a tree. It shows how their friendship grows throughout the seasons.
Julie rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Henry rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2008
rhonda rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2011
Angelica rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
James Hitch
I learned the word "mouse" when my mom read this book to me.
Sg rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Hannah Erdmann
Hannah Erdmann rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Anna Bryce
Anna Bryce rated it did not like it
Jan 28, 2013
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Mckinley rated it did not like it
Sep 11, 2016
Rachel Rouleau
Rachel Rouleau rated it liked it
May 18, 2015
  • Sunflower House
  • A Rainbow of My Own
  • Eric Carle's Animals Animals
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • The Witch Next Door
  • A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories
  • Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
  • The Rose in My Garden
  • Have You Seen My Duckling?
Leo Lionni wrote and illustrated more than 40 highly acclaimed children's books. He received the 1984 American Institute of Graphic Arts Gold Medal and was a four-time Caldecott Honor Winner--for Inch by Inch, Frederick, Swimmy, and Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Leo Lionni died in October of 1999 at his home in Tuscany, Italy, at the age of 89.

Leo Lionni has gained international renown for his
More about Leo Lionni...