Start by marking “Odyssey, Books 1-12” as Want to Read:
Odyssey, Books 1-12

Odyssey, Books 1-12

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,206 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Book may have numerous typos, missing text, images, or index. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. 1879. Excerpt: ... Nausithous, who the Phseacians ruled; And from Nausithous Rhexenor sprang, Alcinous also; but the former chief 80 Apollo of the silver bow struck down, A youthful bridegroom; in his halls he le ...more
Published January 2nd 2012 by General Books LLC (first published -800)

To ask other readers questions about Odyssey, Books 1-12, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odyssey, Books 1-12

Cara
Wonderful piece of literature. This is definitely one of my favorite things to read in high school and in college.
Odysseus has a hard time trying to get home, but he never gives up; even after being stuck on the island with Calypso, he still dreamed of seeing his wife and his homeland.
I wish people nowadays could have this strength, loyalty and morals. The world would be a better place with more people like him.
Dania Roman
May 11, 2012 Dania Roman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was really good. I enjoyed it because it was interesting of all the things of the gods and their stories. I enjoyed reading it because it had alot of adventure, and it also had challenges. The book was sometimes confusing at parts, but it got me confused because i was absent and when i came back i didnt get the story. But after all this the book was really good it had alot of good parts and sad parts.
Sonia
Jun 28, 2013 Sonia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobooks...there were 24 books in all. Excellent story, the whole thing! I truly enjoyed it. Reading about Greek mythology has always been a favorite of mine. They are classic tales that will be around forever.
Elizabeth Moon
Dec 10, 2010 Elizabeth Moon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Foundation reading...have re-read both the Iliad and the Odyssey multiple times. We also read it some of it in Greek, but I'm lousy at languages and really struggled.
Donna
Dec 07, 2010 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a long time to get through it but the stories were excellent and the prose is very special.
Caroline
Jun 15, 2014 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a wonderful and amazing piece of literature. I absolutely loved this book. Be warned though, if you don't like the writing style/old English or are not prepared to take annotations this is NOT the book for you. The essence of adventure shall never let you down and the cleverness of the characters is something to behold. Being 11 can be quite annoying, no one ever takes you seriously. So, with all do respect, please don't ignore this review. To sum up this evaluation, the novel was quite ...more
Richard Ratzlaff
Jan 08, 2013 Richard Ratzlaff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read throughout. Pacing was good, which is surprising.
Jonathon Palmer
Oct 14, 2012 Jonathon Palmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tale!
Michelle Mundinger
If I could go back in time to my 9th grade self, I would make it a point not to read this awful story. For crying out loud, even the play was bad. Not only then could I not understand what was going on, but 10 years later I can't figure it out. If you're into Roman themes, for the love of all things sane, watch the movie "Gladiator" or even "300" just to humor yourself.
Dimitra
May 07, 2014 Dimitra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek-beauties
Τα λόγια είναι περιττά για ένα βιβλίο σαν αυτό!
Επικό με όλη τη σημασία της λέξεως!
Σε μεταφέρει στην αρχαία Ελλάδα και σε διδάσκει πολλά πράγματα.
Μια ιστορία που πρέπει να διαβάσει ο καθένας μας οπωσδήποτε, για να μάθει να αγαπά, να πολεμά για την οικογένεια και για το δίκιο του, και να ξεπερνά κάθε εμπόδιο μαθαίνοντας και φτιάχνοντας χαρακτήρα.
Μάθημα ζωής το βιβλίο αυτό...
Isabella
Apr 21, 2014 Isabella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing piece of history . I actualy realy enjoyed it , even despite the age of it it was even better then some of the ribbish young adult books i have read.!
Denise Nieves
The Odyssey was a great book! Sometimes it had me confused because I didn't understand what they were trying to say ,but in the end I understood some what everything . The only thing that matters is that Odysseus went home with his son and wife. This book was awesome it teaches us how things are hard in life. One day we will go threw hard times ,others times they will be easy! I loved how Odysseus in the end showed the suitors of with the bow went he shot it! Also when his wife didn't believe it ...more
Donna Biglin
Feb 10, 2014 Donna Biglin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Classic! And still enjoyable.
Skyler
Oct 01, 2013 Skyler rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9th-grade
I didn't really like this book that much. The language was weird and I wasn't into it. I found most of it really confusing and weird. Like the sirens part, I didn't really get that part. To me the best part of the book was when Odysseus and his men escaped the Cyclops's cave. They really had to think of a way to get out of there with out him noticing. There was a lot of action threw out the whole book. It was an okay book, but not something I would recommend. I found the ending boring and I just ...more
Heather
I had never read this classic, and thanks to the audio version I got through it. Just listening to the names was overwhelming, I can't imagine how hard reading them would have been. As this is epic Greek poetry, some of the repetition can be forgiven. Many people are familiar with the struggles of Odysseus even if they haven't read the tale.

Summary: Homer's masterpiecce tells the story of Odysseus, the ideal Greek hero, as he travels home to Ithaca after the Trojan War--a journey of many years a
Mary
Jan 30, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it took Odysseus 19 years to get home after the Trojan War, and it took me one year to read this book after the birth of my twins. Not my favorite read ever, but it was good and easy to read. Biggest issue for me was reading it after long breaks because the names were difficult to keep straight sometimes. I have to say, with all the build up for his return and getting his revenge on the suitors, the ending was quite abrupt.
Bryce Lowry
The only reason I think this book was okay is because it was written well on a technical level. However, I don't really respect the story itself. It's about a highly immoral man who expects his wife to have been moral and faithful to him for the many years that he was gone. During eight of those years, he was busy sleeping with some terrible goddess. Talk about messed up values.
Joseph milligan
May 09, 2013 Joseph milligan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Read The Odyssey, i find it to be an interesting book. It has different events that happen that help pull the reader into the story. The use of different creatures really help keep the reader on edge. Like a lot of books it gets strung out and boring after a few chapters of bad events happening. But i do like this book because of the age and what it consists of.
Benjamin
Nov 15, 2013 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great work of fiction done by are forerunners. A true piece of wonder and a reminder of the failings of men. The chink in most men's armor are women and the Greeks explore that. Along with the urge most men feel for adventure and the never ending search for wonder. Of course danger is always what makes it all worth it >:]
Ziyanda Xaso
Books 1 to 12 of the Odyssey comprise mainly of Ulysses' journey back home. I never got a chance to read this book in school so I was curious about the story. I must admit that I do have mixed reviews of it as at times it was monotonous. An interesting read to say the least.
Daniel
THE ODYSSEY is the prototypical journey tale of world literature. After ten years fighting and helping the Greeks win the Trojan War, Odysseus, King of Ithaka, offends the sea god Poseidon and is doomed to another ten years of wandering before being...
Jahmey rodriguez
it was cool because i liked it when he battles the cyclops but not the fact he acts cocky,but the way his men died and how he was the only one alive and also returning home disquised as a begger was a cool story,but not my favoriote
Esme
Apr 21, 2013 Esme rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
an incredible journey, but lacked a lot of imagery and descriptive language, it's more like a list of events than a story, and if i had to read the line 'rosy-fingered dawn' one more time i'd eat the book
Oct 01, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9th-grade
This book would be really good if it was in modern reading. I was confused a lot, but I had to read it over and over just to get it. It wasn't much fun reading it and trying really hard to understand it.
Ashley Reichert
Oct 17, 2012 Ashley Reichert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ap-reading
I thought The Odyssey was very boring. I did not think the storyline was interesting and had a hard time relating to anything that occurred because it was written so long ago.
Chad
May 13, 2011 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't need to review this because thousands already have. Good book though. I liked it. Nice and long. Good story. so old its almost part of history.
Sheralyn
Jun 28, 2013 Sheralyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book from to long ago to remember any more than that I enjoyed it so on my list to read again.
Dominic
This was an overall good book, but it was confusing at quite a bit of parts.
Renee Hogan
Good but a little hard to grasp without looking closely.
Angela
Dec 16, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in school and LOVED it.
  • Greek Lyric Poetry
  • Ion
  • Aeneid: Books I-VI
  • Anthology of Classical Myth
  • The Oxford Classical Dictionary
  • The Oracle: Ancient Delphi and the Science Behind Its Lost Secrets
  • Greek Grammar
  • Hesiod, the Homeric Hymns, Epic Cycle, Homerica (Loeb Classical Library #57)
  • Plato I: Euthyphro. Apology. Crito. Phaedo. Phaedrus. (Loeb Classical Library, #36)
  • The Oxford History of the Classical World
  • Ancient Greece: From Prehistoric to Hellenistic Times
  • Ancient Greece: A Political, Social and Cultural History
  • An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon
  • The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood
  • Roman Lives: A Selection of Eight Lives
  • The History of Herodotus, V1
  • Greek Homosexuality
  • Lysis/Symposium/Gorgias (Loeb Classical Library 166)
In the Western classical tradition, Homer (Greek: Όμηρος) is considered the author of The Iliad and The Odyssey, and is revered as the greatest of ancient Greek epic poets. These epics lie at the beginning of the Western canon of literature, and have had an enormous influence on the history of literature.
When he lived is unknown. Herodotus estimates that Homer lived 400 years before his own time,
More about Homer...