Start by marking “The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks, #4)

The Hanging Valley (Inspector Banks #4)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,737 ratings  ·  98 reviews
No one dreamed something so hideous could grow in so beautiful a place . . .

Many who visit the valley are overwhelmed by its majesty. Some wish they never had to leave. One didn't, a hiker whose decomposing corpse is discovered by an unsuspecting tourist. But this strange, incomprehensible murder is only the edge of the darkness that hovers over a small rural village and i
Published August 31st 2010 by Harper (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Hanging Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hanging Valley

Judy Goodnight
A complicated series of deaths: two definite murders, a possible accident, a possible suicide. are entangled in a complicated web of relationships. To untangle all the threads, Chief Inspector Banks goes so far as to fly to Canada to find a woman who may be able to shed light on the case.

I would have rated this at least one star higher if it hadn't ended the way it did. The police finally have it worked out & they're after the killer who we know is at that moment up to no good. So the police
Eric_W
2.5 stars, perhaps. Good audiobook. An alternative title might be "Banks goes to Toronto." I always wonder when a local character takes off for other pastures as part of an investigation. Did the author just visit there and want to add some local color? Is Robinson a Jays fan?

Ostensibly, Banks has to travel to Toronto to find and interview a woman who may have information about an unsolved murder in Swainsdale that had occurred years before but may be linked to a more recent one.

The body of Be
Tom
I was starting to worry a bit about this series, but I felt reassured after this addition to the series. With several murders taking place over a span of years in a quiet, sleepy town in the Yorkshire, Robinson does a great job of showing us the nuance and feel of this world. I could almost hear the Sherlock Holmes music (from the Jeremy Brett series) playing in the background. Well edited and tightly paced, readers of Brit mysteries will definitely enjoy.
Damaskcat
Number four in this excellent series featuring Yorkshire based DCI Alan Banks. I have to confess I am totally hooked on this well written and absorbing series of police procedural crime novels. In this one a decomposing body is found in an isolated valley. A tourist discovers it while on a walking holiday. But it soon becomes clear that a group of locals know more about the body than in perhaps good for them.

This wide ranging story sees Banks travelling to Canada and to Oxford to try and unravel
Surreysmum
Jeremy Stephens
What I didn't like about this book-

1. The particular edition I read made it seem like a stand alone novel rather than part of a series. It wasn't until after I had already read the thing that I saw the order form in the back to order the other books in the series.

2. The cover said it was a "novel of suspense". I didn't find anything suspenseful about this and in fact found it to be rather dull. Also, when I think of suspense, a mystery novel isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

3. Not enough
Balthazar Lawson
I've read many books in the Inspector Banks series, not in order, and this would have to be the weakest so far. The main character in this series is Inspector Banks but you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise while reading this book. The secondary characters in a novel play an important role in any story but they seem to take over a little too much with this story and really didn't add much to the series.

It was enjoyable enough but I found it slow to read at times and the ending was just so
Paula Dembeck
This is number four in the Inspector Banks mystery-suspense series which gets better with each new volume.
A hiker has discovered a body partially hidden up on the fell around Swainshead Village. The body is in a grisly condition having been lying exposed to the elements for about a week. That makes identifying the victim difficult, but when a name is finally known, it is discovered he had grown up in the village but had left for Canada several years ago and had just returned. And then Superint
Ashton
I found this more interesting than A Dedicated Man and A Necessary End, but I was really disappointed by the ending! Also, without giving too much away, one of the characters that Banks seems to favour and also has a soft spot for was so annoying and difficult to like!
Book Wormy
The Hanging Valley Peter Robinson

This is the 4th book in the DI Banks series
A body has been discovered in the beautiful hanging valley in the village of Swainsdale the problem is its not the first several years ago another body had been found, a woman went missing and the mystery was never sold. The same suspects from the first investigation are also the same suspects in the new case.
Set in England in the 80's where mobile phones, tablets and even the internet are barely known Banks must rely on
Kirsti
Pretty good mystery with an abrupt ending. This book taught me the phrase "running around like a blue-arsed fly." I also liked the bartender's quip that the mayhem was good for business: "Aye, there's nobody drinks like a murder suspect."
Peacejanz
This is one of the early Inspector Banks mysteries and we spend much of the novel in a small village, where at least two murders have happened. I say at least two because one that seems to be a suicide may also be a murder. And well -- wait until you get to the end! Robinson is a careful writer, always letting the reader know what the actor is doing or thinking. As usual, there are many suspects. Banks even gets to travel to Canada to search out someone who may have critical information. I love ...more
Monica
The quiet village of Swainshead brings Banks and his team to investigate a brutal murder. The victim's face has been destroyed, so identifying him is the first problem. Once that is accomplished, it seems that this murder may be linked to another murder and a disappearance that occurred several years earlier.
It's a very small village, and a bit isolated. The same families have been minding each others' business for generations, so it's not easy for an incomer to make headway.

There are the brothe
Maggie
As a current addict but late starter to Peter Robinson murder mysteries I am enjoying a good back catalogue alongside his current publications. This is an early Alan Banks which is set in the Dales with the plot exploring village relationships and issues of class. I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery full of twist and turns with a satisfying ending - with a clever twist on the last page. The sub plot also includes some interesting chapters set in Canada. A perfect summer read... Just deciding which ...more
Woofas
This was a real trip into the past, which considering the book was first published 25 years ago is hardly surprising. Every third sentence seems to include "he lit another cigarette" even when flying to Canada! The amount of alcohol consumed by the characters defies belief & only at one point does someone think better of driving. How times have changed.
I found the characters rather one dimensional with the possible exception of Katie. The rest I found rather dull and predictable. Not a book
Kathleen Hagen
The Hanging Valley, by Peter Robinson, a-minus, narrated by James Langton, produced by Tantor Media, downloaded from audible.com.

This is one of the earlier books in the Banks series. Publisher’s note says it all.
No one dreamed something so hideous could grow in so beautiful a place.... Many who visit the valley are overwhelmed by its majesty. Some wish they never
had to leave. One didn't: a hiker whose decomposing corpse is discovered by an unsuspecting tourist. But this strange, incomprehensible
Stuart
Not a bad crime story. The second of the series of Inspector Banks stories that I've read. The story was relatively tame; indeed it seems the detective did hardly any detecting at all, the murderer(s) being taken care of with little police intervention. I think the story was a vehicle for the author to wax lyrical about his own move from England to Canada, and write up his own first impressions, via the eyes of Inspector Banks. Not that these impressions weren't interesting, but not really what ...more
Donna Mcnab
When there is a body found in the Hanging Valley in Yorkshire, it soon becomes obvious that this death must surely be connected to a similar death a few years previous. The search for an answer takes Inspector Alan Banks from Yorkshire to Toronto, Canada, looking for a girl who disappeared the same day as the first death. Peter Robinson is an extremely good mystery writer.
Lorraine
A hiker stumbles across a body in the Hanging Valley in a dale high above Swainshead, an hour's drive from Eastvale, and Inspector Banks and Jim Hinchley investigate. While staying at the local B&B, they learn that a group of men regularly meet at the local pub and focus their investigations on them. They learn that the victim is a local man who's lived in Toronto for the past five years. Another man was murdered in the same place 5 years ago, and a local woman has disappeared. Banks learns ...more
Mary
This book was okay. It held my interest, but the ending was somewhat unsatisfactory. There seemed to be some loose ends, especially a revelation of the "secret" one of the main characters, Katy, was hiding. Not one of Robinson's best.
Sally
Quite complicated, not very plausible, and a lot of "well she said that he said....." to get through. By the number of drinks Banks consumed in the course of this novel, surely his next step must be rehab! Great descriptions of scenery, but not much else.
Ellen
Not as good as his others. I thought the Canada episode was superfluous and way too long and the ending was a disappointment. All the smoking and drinking was unbelievable; how would the police ever solve a crime as they're constantly necking alcohol?! For all that, though, it was still a good enough read (listen) even though I did feel that Robinson was just phoning it in this time.
Jenn
I love Inspector Banks stories. This was an early one I hadn't read yet and was in a two-for-one paperback given to me by my mum. I had already read the first novel - Dry Bones That Dream. This particular novel ended very strangely. Still leaving you with a whodunit feeling. The brothers Colliers were annoying but they were supposed to be. As was Katie and Sam.
Sandra
I'm a big Peter Robinson fan, but this one wasn't up to his usual standards. As the 4th in the series, one can't really expect or want the author to fill in all the blanks about the continuing characters, but in this case, a few little flashbacks might have helped. The "mystery" itself wasn't very mysterious, and the usual entertaining strife between Inspector Banks and his family was entirely missing. A first-time reader would be scratching his or her head. Just as Inspector Banks was taking a ...more
Pat
Mystery solved by Inspector Alan Banks.
Hiker finds body.
OK story.
Contemporary.
Agnes J
If I wanted a story this raw (the ending mainly) I'd just watch the 5 pm news!
Elizabeth
I'm in love with this series! Nothing like a little British murder mystery.
Leah Ritchie
I'm giving this 4 stars because of the Toronto connection and because I couldn't figure out who the Hell done it!
Melanie
The series started strong but slowly loses steam. There is little character development and a rather plodding plot.
Monica
I adore Inspector Banks more with every Robinson book I read. I love the way this author weaves his stories of mystery. He somehow manages to leave no stone unturned. Every main character involved in the mystery seems to have a story of their own...a story that makes sense and sometimes ties in with the mystery…and sometimes doesn’t, taking you down some interesting paths none the less. The plot in this book takes a turn or two into the dark side of human nature, once again proving that this aut ...more
  • Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2)
  • On Beulah Height (Dalziel & Pascoe, #17)
  • Let it Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7)
  • The Risk of Darkness (Simon Serrailler, #3)
  • Scaredy Cat (Tom Thorne, #2)
  • Death Is Now My Neighbor (Inspector Morse, #12)
  • The Best Man to Die (Inspector Wexford, #4)
  • A Killing Frost (Inspector Frost, #6)

Peter Robinson was born in Yorkshire. After getting his BA Honours Degree in English Literature at the University of Leeds, he came to Canada and took his MA in English and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor, with Joyce Carol Oates as his tutor, then a PhD in En
More about Peter Robinson...

Inspector Banks (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)
  • A Dedicated Man  (Inspector Banks, #2)
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • Past Reason Hated (Inspector Banks, #5)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Dry Bones That Dream (Inspector Banks, #7)
  • Innocent Graves (Inspector Banks, #8)
  • Blood At The Root (Inspector Banks, #9)
  • In A Dry Season (Inspector Banks, #10)
  • Cold Is The Grave (Inspector Banks, #11)
In A Dry Season (Inspector Banks, #10) Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1) Friend Of The Devil (Inspector Banks, #17) Before The Poison Bad Boy (Inspector Banks, #19)