Drink, Slay, Love

Drink, Slay, Love

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  3,599 ratings  ·  689 reviews
Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.

Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withs...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Drink, Slay, Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drink, Slay, Love

Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
90th out of 718 books — 3,078 voters
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMarked by P.C. CastCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Best Teen Vampire Fiction
47th out of 285 books — 4,060 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
Actual rating: 4.5 stars and a unicorn.
“Kind of funny when you think about it, us believing we had to protect a dude from you,” Tall said. “In a few weeks we can all grab a cheeseburger together and laugh about this. A hot chick like you couldn’t possibly be a vampire. Seriously, though, you might want to cut down on the black garb.”

“Not that you were in any way ‘asking for it,’” Tall said. “A woman can wear whatever she chooses without fear of being mistaken for a fiendish bloodsucking nightwa
Jo
“A brush with extinction does not excuse unladylike behaviour. You weren’t raised in a barn.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Holy moly, I just finished a vampbook with a smile on my face. WHAT.

High Points.
Pearl. I was snickering here, there and everywhere with this book. Prom. Queen Molly Ringwald. Learning about American High School culture from John Hughes films… which I TOTALLY never did (Love you Duckie.) All you people are vampires… and your stories aren’t stale. Unicorns. Ice-cream. Sunrise...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
3.5 stars. So Ms. Britnee and I picked this book as a buddy read. I wasn't sure what to expect from it. Even with the catchy premise, I figured this book was going to be just another run-of-the-mill vamp book. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised. I had a lot of fun reading Drink, Slay, Love.

You really can't go wrong with a book which has a girl getting stabbed by a unicorn in the very first chapter. As a bonus, the same girl ends up getting stalked by the unicorn, which was quite amusing to s...more
Belle

In the heady days after I finished the Twilight series, I binged on anything and everything I could get that was vampire-related. I wanted to recapture that heart-racing, page-turning, delicious (and slightly delirous) craze that Edward Cullen had drawn me in to. I discovered the Vampire Academy series, which was awesome, and the Blue Bloods series, which was not. I raced through the Southern Vampire series. I dabbled with The Vampire Diaries. I reread Twilight. And I overdosed.

Once the...more
Sparrow
Gurl, I hate to be the one to tell ya, but your boyfriend is totally gay. Gay as the day is long. I know you’re new to this whole “humanity” thing, so I’ll give you a couple of pointers. Your guy might say “she walks like the night,” but when a dude calls you a lady of the night, it’s not usually a compliment. Also when a dude is (view spoiler), pretty clear signal of gay. So, when your bf is calling you a prostitute and IS a (view spoiler)...more
Zuleeza
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

How about I first show you the picture of how I feel about this book.

Yup, if unicorns can poop rainbows, I can figuratively vomit rainbows just because this book was unexpectedly awesome.

Btw, I'm proud to declare that I was the first person who read the copy from my local library!! I may have to purchase this book later so that I can highlight all the hilarious lines!

I finished this book in one sitting but I was too sleepy afterwards to write the r...more
Misty
I wasn't sure what to expect going into this one. I mean, the cover is one of my hands-down favorites of the year, and the teaser synopsis that was released earlier this year is just brilliant (What happens when a vampire is stabbed through the heart by a were-unicorn's horn? She develops a very inconvenient conscience. Oops.) But it was the kind of idea that could have been very, very right or very, verywrong. Thank god, it turned out to be very, very right. Drink, Slay, Love is one of the most...more
Tamora Pierce
What a wild ride! Pearl is a vampire teenager in good standing preparing for her inauguration into the ranks of adult vampires. She has everything--a great wardrobe, a love of driving fast, and a very hot boyfriend. Then she is staked by a unicorn. Not only did she live, but she is changing--she's just not sure into what. Sent into the local high school to size up a vampire banquet, she discovers her former prey are people, good and bad (and funny). Caught between her old world and her new, she...more
Evie
*** Originally posted to: Bookish Blog

One word: WOW.
Never before have I read a vampire book that left me totally speechless. Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst is, hands down, one of the best (if not THE best) vampire novel I have ever read. And the best part is I wasn’t at all expecting it! It was one of the first five books I received from the wonderful people at Simon & Schuster Canada, and – I’m sorry to admit that – one that I was least excited for. As a matter of fact, I didn’t e...more
E.V.Franzmnn E.V.Franzmnn
Reviewed on 03/23/2012

As I read this book I couldn’t stop thinking about the Addams family. The dark humor, the emotionless expressions and the simple disdain over the humans feelings in general.
The crazy uncle, the dark and scary dad, the mom that can rule the house with a steel voice, is all there, but with an extra evil souse on top.

description

The Plot – Think of all the things you know about vampire and unicorns. Think in all the stereotypes. Think of all the glitter and sparkly (not the vamp’s glitter...more
Elena
Cute.

So you’re used to vampires trying to control the world, strolling around draining people dry and occasionally falling in love with moronic humans?
So you’re used to werewolves and all that?
You want something new?
Well, then that’s the book for you.
No more vampire drama; here the feel is like you’re inside an Adam Family environment. The vampires sleep through the day, wake up at night, steal cars when they feel like it, and make out.
Oh, and play chess for fifty years trying to beat themselves...more
Margarita
“You’ll never make it through life if you let
irrational fears freeze you all the time.”

Brief summary:

Pearl Sange is just an ordinary vampire who takes a sip of blood from humans here and there. One day, she was attacked by a unicorn and it's horn staked her ribs! Now, she finds herself being able to bathe in sunlight! But something more than that changed about her and she's finding out if it's a good thing or not..

The plot:

Ahhh this story was so unique and refreshing. The humor was not forced a...more
Kat Kennedy
This was a surprisingly good book.
Nina
VAMPIRES AND WERE-UNICORNS. Do I need to say anything else?

Let's start with basic info about why I shouldn't have liked this book:
1. It has vampires
2. It has high school cliques
3. It has a mean family.

Now let's see why I did like it – a freaking huge lot – in no particular order:
1. Pearl. She's hot, confident, sarcastic and generally badass.
2. The Family. Lurved their cruelty, their hierarchy, their traditions, and the single members, Cousin Jeremiah, Daddy and the crazy Aunts in particular.
3....more
Ariana

When I first came across this book featuring vampires and were-unicorns, I thought: "what the hell, this should be fun", as fun as any parody can be.. and it has been for a while, with Pearl's witty voice and her slow transformation from the soul-less vampire to the 'humanized' one.
But when it got to the point of her choosing between her wanna-be-friends and her family, I didn't find it funny any more and any amount of wittiness was pointless.

I mean, yeah, she had a crappy family, as little as...more
Kristin (Beneath Shining Stars, I Read)
Getting staked by a unicorn was not in Pearl's plans. All she wanted was a predawn snack and instead, she got a unicorn horn through her chest. But that's not the end for Pearl; if anything, it's the beginning. As a result, Pearl can walk about during the day and just in time for the King of New England's Fealty Ceremony which means that she's tasked with selecting the food for the feast. But the real kicker? She's developed a conscience and vampires do not care about their food's feelings... al...more
Bookables
This book has literally sat on my Amazon Wish List for a couple years. I’ve been meaning to buy it but just never got around it. Low and behold I realized my local library had it so I snatched it right up.

First of all- I adore this cover. It is what immediately drew me to the book. I love the vampire sipping blood from a straw from what looks like a Coca-cola bottle. Love it!

I am sad to say I didn’t love the book. I thought it had an amazing premise but it didn’t come through all the way for me...more
Kassidy
*3.5*

A very funny and entertaining read! I felt it was a little immature and predictable, but I couldn't help but enjoy it.
I loved the main character's personality and sense of humor.
This is in no way a "dark" vampire book. It almost reminded me of a vampire rom-com or disney channel movie or something! haha
You definitely have to go in with an open mind, but I really liked it!
I wouldn't say go run out and buy it now, but if it sounds interesting to you and you can get it as a library book or a...more
Louisa
4.5 stars. That was bloodsuckingly awesome. And hilarious. And turns all the YA vampire tropes on their heads, or at least outright make fun of them. Who needs Twilight when you can decorate your fang-themed prom with Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse AND Breaking Dawn memorabilia? No one!

BONUS UNICORN.

Jessica
Oh, I loved this book so much! Pearl is so wonderfully . . . not human. So used to the manipulations and compete emotionlessness of her own family. And the blending of vampire and unicorn mythology? Genius. A very fun read, made even more delightful by Durst's excellent storytelling and wonderful writing.
Fani
I was surprised with how much I actually enjoyed this one! Fun, witty, light, a different kind of YA that I've not met so far. Looking forward to the next book.
Susana

Let me tell you this: In the past I've read so many paranormal romances featuring "vampires" that it seems I've finally reached my limit! I am talking about favourite series, still on going series, that all of a sudden I just stopped reading. After a while they all seem the same.

That is... unless you give me something new. Which Sarah Beth Durst most definitely does.

The author picks up on the "traditional" clichés that abound on today's YA market, and completely de-constructs them, on...more
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Officially the funniest vampire novel I have ever read. Oh yeah, and unicorns. An unexpected combination, but it worked!

As soon as I read the words "Vampire" and "Unicorns" together, I just knew that I had to read this book no matter what. I mean, where else have you read a story that involved both of these creatures? Drink, Slay, Love was a hi-freakin'-larious story about what happens when a bad, bad vampire gets staked by a sparkly unicorn. The result? One very guilty vampire.

This book is defi...more
Andrea
This book is like a wonderful, mix of the following;
 photo tumblr_m0y9mqPpTw1rn95k2o1_500_zps784f908d.gif

photo tumblr_miq5nlHQ4s1s6eq7ao1_500_zpsf771aa3e.gif

photo tumblr_mepgq6rMcb1qfr6udo3_400_zps349d7776.gif

=

photo tumblr_m751r2I05V1r6mysfo1_250_zps83863354.gif

AND it is exactly what I needed at the moment. I loved Pearl, she is sarcastic, witty, tough...she is also a vampire, who while snacking one night gets gored by a unicorn. It is hard for Pearl to believe because unicorns, well, they just don't exist.
 photo bitch-funny-lol-unicorn-Favimcom-370851_zps4d7bc7f2.gif
After the initial shock wears off, Pearl discovers that she is changing, and much to her dismay she is growing a conscious. Pearl struggles to hide this from her dark, shadow loving family,...more
Missie

Once upon a time, a book named, Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1) by Christopher Moore, walked into a bar. Across the dance floor, he caught the eye of a beautiful booker named, Heist Society (Heist Society, #1) by Ally Carter. After a few drinks, they decided to take their party to the private collection stacks. What ensued was a one-night-stand that would make monkeys blush. Nine months later... Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst was born! True Story.

Okay, not really, but that is exac...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

DRINK SLAY LOVE is ridiculously fun. I expected the ridiculous part based on the description (vampire slaying unicorns!), but I was I was not prepared for the witty, sly, and smart characters, dialog, and story.

I think I’ve been hoodwinked. How did I miss the fact that unicorns are the perfect vampire hunters? Think about it. What kills vampires? Stakes through the heart. What do unicorns have? Giant stakes growing out of their heads. Of course now I’m...more
Ferdy
I absolutely loved this book, reading other reviews I wasn't sure if it would be my cup of tea but i'm glad I gave it a chance. Drink, Slay, Love was refreshing to read and was free from all the usual paranormal YA cliches, it was equal parts funny, dark and romantic.
Pearl is our heroine - I use the word heroine loosely as she's pretty evil for a large part of the book. Pearl is a 16 year old vampire who is violent, a little crazy and cares nothing for humans - that's until she's stabbed by a u...more
Eunice
3.75 of 5 stars

Vampire novels aren't really my type. Now that I think of it I realize I've only read 2 series which are vampire themed. Twilight and Morganville Vampires. The former was okay but I didn't really liked it very much. The latter was better but I didn't continue reading the series (there are too many books already and I feel like I'm very much left behind). Drink, Slay, Love was the first vampire book I've read since the two. But actually it wasn't the vampire thing that took my inte...more
Isamlq
The title alone had me curious, but throw in were-unicorns, and... well, what choice did I really have? I had to get on this! There really aren't any big surprises in Drink, Slay, Love, and that's even when considering characters who make little digs at YA in general and sparkly vampires in particular.

But that it's campy, kitschy and had those little digs are what I appreciated most. The most awesome moment is her calling the guy out... too bad it ended at her calling him out because, despite t...more
Robert Karapetyan
“Her kind was supposed to be irresistibly alluring to humans. She was the humanoid equivalent of a Venus flytrap.”

This book is a whole package. It has got a snarky badass heroine, real friendship, realistic and funny school life descriptions, variety of well developed characters and a freaking sparkly backstabbing (literally) unicorn with stalking tendencies.

Summary

Our protagonist is Pearl, a cold-blooded vampire. She lives in The Family, a clan of vampires, with The Mother, Daddy,...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst ---> Starting 19th June, 2014 14 17 Jun 21, 2014 08:16AM
newdesign3: Vampires n crap 1 8 Jan 04, 2012 10:19AM
  • Bad Taste in Boys (Kate Grable, #1)
  • Misfit
  • Every Other Day
  • Sacrifice (Crave, #2)
  • Blood (Mercian Trilogy #1)
  • Jane Jones: Worst. Vampire. Ever.
  • Texas Gothic (Goodnight Family #1)
  • Teeth: Vampire Tales
  • Fairy Bad Day
  • The Juliet Spell
  • Fang Girl
  • Isle of Night (The Watchers, #1)
  • Red Moon Rising
  • The Vampire Stalker
  • Damage
  • Blood Song (Lharmell, #1)
  • The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
Sarah Beth Durst is the author of eight fantasy novels for teens and adults. Her YA titles include Conjured, Vessel, Drink Slay Love, Enchanted Ivy, Ice, Out of the Wild, and Into the Wild. Her first book for adults, The Lost, came out in June 2014 from Harlequin/Mira, and her next book for teens, Chasing Power, comes out in October 2014 from Bloomsbury. She was awarded the 2013 Mythopoeic Fantasy...more
More about Sarah Beth Durst...
Ice Vessel Enchanted Ivy Into the Wild (Into the Wild, #1) Conjured

“To you,” he said, “I surrender my heart and soul.”
She rolled her eyes. “Very romantic, considering you have neither.”
97 likes
“You’re a teenage boy. I have boobs. What part of the equation is missing?” 71 likes