Start by marking “Fountain of Age” as Want to Read:
Fountain of Age

Fountain of Age

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Struggling to hold on to the illusion of youth, Friedan wrote, we have denied the reality and evaded the new triumphs of growing older. We have seen age only as decline. In this powerful and very personal book, Betty Friedan charted her own voyage of discovery, and that of others, into a different kind of aging.

Friedan found ordinary men and women, moving into their fift
Published August 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Fountain of Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fountain of Age

Feminist Family Values by Gloria SteinemThe Beach Book by Gloria SteinemRoad to the Heart by Gloria SteinemIvy Days by Susan Allen TothA Woman's Education by Jill Ker Conway
Smith College Books
43rd out of 120 books — 5 voters
Of Mice and Men by John SteinbeckHere's to You, Rachel Robinson by Judy BlumeFirst Among Sequels by Jasper FfordeEast of Eden by John SteinbeckAll Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
Titles that play on earlier titles and sayings
117th out of 125 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary
Jun 22, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: done
Friedan was always ahead of the curve. Her discussion of how difficult it was to find research on aging that did not involve the 'problems.' She included interesting stories from people actually trying to negotiate aging in a society that values youth.
Anne Borrowdale
An inspiring book in the true sense of the word. It got me feeling really positive about growing older. Friedan covers a lot of ground, and while it's 20 years since The Fountain of Age was first published, much of it is extremely relevant. Overlong? Yes. It's full of stories from older people living vital lives, all of which are interesting, but they're not all needed to illustrate the main points. A chapter describing Friedan's experience of an adventure holiday again feels too long for its pl ...more
Amy Hearth
I was disappointed by this book. It was intended to be groundbreaking but it wasn't. Also, same old elitist point of view from Friedan. (See my review of Feminine Mystique.)
Fran Linhart
thought provoking; now that I'm turning 60, I should read it again.
Lily
Okay. Some worthwhile insights from a fully lived life.
Suzanne
This is a book which, intrigued by the title, I picked up some years ago but didn't read beyond the preface. Now, facing mandatory retirement, I picked it up again and found it inspirational. While carefully researched with many interactions with gerontologists and other "professionals" of age, the book is essentially a personal odyssey, an exploration of dealing with aging and the opening up of a whole new range of possibilities through generativity. The latter term is not a familiar one but es ...more
Karen
Friedan takes on a worthy project: dispelling the myth that aging means decline, detachment and decay. She's right to challenge the ageism pervasive in our society. We too often objectify older adults, even when we seek to take good care of them. We end up infantalizing them, robbing them of their personhood.

The aim of her book is a 5/5 star rating. The execution is 3/5.

She is plagued by three problems: 1) She's long winded (636 pages!). She gives an avalanche of evidence for each major claim,
Frank
Listened to this one on tape.

Nice look at what to do about our weird obsession with not dying.

I particularly liked her call for elder care physicians to approach dying less like a disease to be cured or postponed, and more like an eventually to be managed.

Pointed out the cost issue, and the dangers of controlling costs through care, but also the necessity of this. Would like to read more on this particular part of the problem.

Ellen
I like this path of thought. Just say no to medicare drugs. You are only as old as you feel and don't let anyone tell you what you are suppose to feel. It's your life, make the most of it. Age is nothing but mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Janet
This is a must-read for anyone over 50. It's long and academic, but it is one of the most useful on aging and the good or bad choices that need to be made.
Karen Kortsch
Very interesting look at the evolving mind of Betty Friedan. Very long book. Took forever to finish. Lots of interesting ideas on aging to contemplate.
Elizabeth Alford
Amazing book. A must read for those interested in thoughtful discussion on our youth-obsessed culture
Jason neese
change my entire fucking perspective
on aging/the aged and geriatrics.
Diane
Friedan does not disappoint in this intriguing perspective on aging.
Donna
Long book with some interesting topics on aging.
Elizabeth
May 16, 2011 Velvetink marked it as to-read
Shelves: women-s-studies
Silver cover. $2
Danny Proença
Danny Proença marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Erin Speese
Erin Speese marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Kerry
Kerry added it
Apr 25, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Apr 21, 2015
Jessie Venos
Jessie Venos marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Esther Berris
Esther Berris marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Antonio
Antonio marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Wellington Fefi
Wellington Fefi marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
  • The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power
  • This Quiet Dust: And Other Writings
  • The Price of My Soul
  • Women's Reality: An Emerging Female System in a White Male Society
  • Beyond God the Father: Toward a Philosophy of Women's Liberation
  • The Man Who Cried I Am
  • In My Mother's House
  • Sisterhood is Powerful: An Anthology of Writings from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • Teacher
  • Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women
  • Fear of Fifty
  • Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory: A Journey Into the Evangelical Subculture in America
  • Theory of Literature
  • The War Against Women
  • Stiffed: The Betrayal of the American Man
  • Will: The Autobiography of G. Gordon Liddy
  • Revolution from Within: A Book of Self-Esteem
  • Wild Heart: A Life: Natalie Clifford Barney and the Decadence of Literary Paris
Betty Friedan was an American feminist, activist and writer, best known for starting what is commonly known as the "Second Wave" of feminism through the writing of her book The Feminine Mystique.
More about Betty Friedan...
The Feminine Mystique The Second Stage: With a New Introduction Life So Far: A Memoir It Changed My Life: Writings on the Women's Movement Beyond Gender: The New Politics of Work and Family